HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Manitoba & Saskatchewan

Old Posted Jan 22, 2014, 3:15 AM
I am a typical

Thunder Bay Lightning was a midget team or something back in the 1990s. Their logo was identical to Tampa's except for one word. We have a few teams with logos that look like NHL logos, I think this is something that Hockey Canada allows?

The best suggestions I've seen are Thunder Bay/Lakehead (Thunder)Moose (to recall the teams origin as the Manitoba Moose) or the Thunder Bay/Lakehead (Thunder)Hawks to pay homage to the Hawker Siddeley (now Bombardier) plant. Thunder Bay/Lakehead Giants would also be a good idea, and it would fit with Winnipeg's tradition of naming the team after football team in New York.

I think they will want to avoid using the name Lakehead because the university team is using that. They've apparently come up with a way to ensure both the university team and the AHL team can co-exist successfully. The two different community names can also play on the Port Arthur-Fort William rivalry without exactly invoking it.

The Edmond Fitzgerald didn't have any business in Thunder Bay on the trip when it sank. It was on its way from Superior, Wisconsin to American ports on Lake Erie. It's part of this region's collective identity but ultimately, Duluth-Superior owns it. We do have a lot of shipwrecks around here but I don't think that is an appropriate name for a team.

Old Posted Jan 28, 2014, 6:12 PM

Jetcetera: Model role

Chris Thorburn may already be preparing for a career after hockey. The Jets' rugged right winger has been working with Mondetta Clothing by giving the Winnipeg-based company feedback on its high-performance sports gear. He will be featured in an upcoming Mondetta commercial, which was filmed in Seattle last summer. That session, which included both video and still photography on the ice and on a trampoline, was his first as a model subject. Thorburn said it a real learning experience and had him channeling his inner Derek Zoolander. For example, he learned if he gritted his teeth, his jawline was accentuated for the photographers.

"I put hair product in my hair for the first time in 10 years," he said.

Source

lol...I found this news interesting..Way to go Thorbs..think about your future after hockey before it's too late.

Old Posted Jan 28, 2014, 8:29 PM

Kane out for another month...........

Old Posted Jan 31, 2014, 8:03 PM

Old Posted Jan 31, 2014, 8:55 PM

No Bobby Lou tonight. Lack is starting. Kind of disappointing. Gives the jets a better shot at winning though, imo.

Old Posted Jan 31, 2014, 9:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bomberjet View Post
No Bobby Lou tonight. Lack is starting. Kind of disappointing. Gives the jets a better shot at winning though, imo.
Thanks for the update bud. I just love buff crashing the net when it comes to our fine friends on the West Coast. Should be a win, that's what worries me...

Old Posted Feb 1, 2014, 2:47 PM
BANNED

Quote:
Lack is a amazing goalie. He kept Vancouver in the game last night. He just has a crappy team in front of him.

Old Posted Feb 1, 2014, 5:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bluenote View Post
Lack is a amazing goalie. He kept Vancouver in the game last night. He just has a crappy team in front of him.
No doubt, Lack played a great game. Would have been nice to see Luongo play though. Just from the history. Olympic champion, #1 goalie for Sochi. Oh well, next time.

Old Posted Feb 3, 2014, 4:32 PM
Mooderator

Frolik will bring it. Put him in yer pool!

Old Posted Feb 27, 2014, 5:03 PM

Let the push for the playoffs begin, here's hoping we can pull it off and see the return of post season action after so many years. Fingers crossed.

Old Posted Apr 10, 2014, 9:47 PM

Scatch my last post...Heres to the Draft..Hopefully a 6th round pick...looking more like 7th..

Old Posted Apr 10, 2014, 9:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cyro View Post
Scatch my last post...Heres to the Draft..Hopefully a 6th round pick...looking more like 7th..
Do you mean the sixth pick in the first round or a sixth round pick?

Old Posted Apr 10, 2014, 9:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by thebasketballgeek View Post
Do you mean the sixth pick in the first round or a sixth round pick?
6th in the 1st round.

Old Posted Apr 10, 2014, 9:56 PM

6th pick.. Looking like a solid draft though. I sure hope they pick up another sizeable player. Lots in the top ten at 6'-0" to 6'-2". Hoping they'll pick up one of the heavier guys, in the 220 lb range. None of the measly 160-170 lb kids!

But looks like it'll likely be a forward too, which I think is good. Scheifele and Kane need a linemate, if Kane is even back next year. I guess it'll be a future linemate though.. as they likely won't be starting next season. Maybe Chevy will make a couple deals too, see what happens.

Old Posted Apr 10, 2014, 10:35 PM

Quote:
6th pick.. Looking like a solid draft though. I sure hope they pick up another sizeable player. Lots in the top ten at 6'-0" to 6'-2". Hoping they'll pick up one of the heavier guys, in the 220 lb range. None of the measly 160-170 lb kids!

But looks like it'll likely be a forward too, which I think is good. Scheifele and Kane need a linemate, if Kane is even back next year. I guess it'll be a future line mate though.. as they likely won't be starting next season. Maybe Chevy will make a couple deals too, see what happens.
Yeah, here's hoping that the pick is the right one. Chevy tends to go with players outside of the box, not picked at their respective ranking. Worked with 2 draft picks. Mark took a couple of years to develop though.

Drafting a forward is good,we've had 2 good defensive picks to this point.A large,(skilled at this point in his development) forward would help immensely.
Kane will be back, (My opinion ) We know a few players won't be here next year, Will Chevy make the deals? Remains to be seen.

Old Posted Apr 14, 2014, 1:05 AM

Good news, although not confirmed...

WINNIPEG — Paul Maurice isn’t waffling today about what he wants for his future.

"I want to be coaching the Winnipeg Jets next year," he said conclude an end-of-season news conference at the MTS Centre.

The matter, though, is not decided yet because the veteran coach says a family discussion and decision will override all other priorities.

http://www.winnipegfreepress.com/spo...255086401.html

He finally said it, will it happen, good chance...

Old Posted Apr 14, 2014, 2:17 PM
What could go wrong?

Looks like we will be drafting in the 9 spot. Had we lost to Calgary we would have picked 6th.
"But a city can be smothered by too much reverence for its past. The skyline must keep acquiring new peaks, because the day we consider it complete and untouchable is the day the city begins to die." - Justin Davidson - May 2010 Issue of New York

Old Posted Apr 14, 2014, 2:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Biff View Post
Looks like we will be drafting in the 9 spot. Had we lost to Calgary we would have picked 6th.
Draft lottery is tomorrow night... 2.7% chance we'll have first pick!

Old Posted Apr 14, 2014, 3:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Biff View Post

Well at least it's not the 10th pick.. Always look at the bright side of life....

Old Posted Apr 14, 2014, 4:15 PM

Always on the bright side! We'll get a good pick. Sizeable forward.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Manitoba & Saskatchewan