HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Manitoba & Saskatchewan

Old Posted May 10, 2018, 5:12 PM
What could go wrong?

Someone revoke Andy's honorary membership in these Winnipeg threads! So what if he brings thoughtful insight and lots of historical data for our use....he said the Jets will lose.

My thoughts - Jets score first, things go back and forth, 2-2 mid second period, Jets go ahead with 10 min or so in the 3rd to go up 3-2, then pot 2 empty net goals to steal the series in stinky fish town.
"But a city can be smothered by too much reverence for its past. The skyline must keep acquiring new peaks, because the day we consider it complete and untouchable is the day the city begins to die." - Justin Davidson - May 2010 Issue of New York

Old Posted May 10, 2018, 5:45 PM

Perhaps there's a connection between the weather and sports! Nashville's three wins all came on days when the daily maximum temperature in Winnipeg was well above seasonal. For Game 2 the high was 23°, for Game 4 it was 22°, and for Game 6 a near-record 32°.

Two of Winnipeg's three wins came on very chilly days, The day of Game 1 was 11° and the day of Game 3 it didn't quite reach 6°, Game 5 was a relatively seasonal 19°, though with the temperature dropping quickly in the late afternoon and evening.

And what about today? Well, this morning was the coldest May 10th in at least 80 years since records have been kept at YWG starting in 1938. The temperature at 6:00 a.m. was -7.0°, beating the old record of -6.2° set in 1996. The all time record recorded at the old St. John's station was -7.8° in 1890.

Humour aside, no team has won two consecutive games in this series, with the Jets taking the odd numbered games and the Preds the evens.

I am cautiously optimistic.

Old Posted May 10, 2018, 5:56 PM
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andy6 View Post
Predictable what will happen: 4-1 Nashville, was 3-0 but Laine scores from a bad angle at 10:47 of the third. Jets pull goalie and Nashville scores empty netter at 18:51 and it’s raining catfish. I don’t even need to watch.
Well aren't you the eternal optimist.

Old Posted May 10, 2018, 6:02 PM

Hey, at least he didn't criticize Enstrom, then he would really be in trouble.

Old Posted May 10, 2018, 6:05 PM

I have to admit I think the Jets have largely been outplayed in the series, but every once in a while they seem to wake up and score a bunch of goals against the run of play. Something needs to wake them up though. In one of the games, it was Wheeler getting hit, and Schiefle coming to his aid, and all of a sudden the Jets were world-beaters. Before that, they were being outplayed. I think the coaching staff has to take some responsibility for ensuring the team is ready to play at the opening whistle.

Old Posted May 10, 2018, 6:05 PM
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by drew View Post
I agree - but this is the first taste for almost the entire Jet roster in an elimination game of the playoffs. It's a big deal, and the first goal is absolutely critical.

They need to be ready to go as soon as the puck drops.
Luckily Maurice is 2-0 in Game 7's

Hellebuyck has a history of being lights ouot in NCAA finals and WHC.

Byfuglien has won in Game 7's for the Blackhawks

Stastny has also played in winning Game 7's IIRC

Laine has been clutch in final games at the International level.

The Jets need to fight for their lives. I hope someone takes out Subban. He is the dirtiest player in the game, and a coward that dives like he is playing on the 2010 Vancouver Canucks.

Old Posted May 10, 2018, 6:07 PM

I don't think trying to "take out" a player in game 7 is a smart strategy. That's what Subban wants, to get into your head.

Old Posted May 10, 2018, 6:10 PM
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ando View Post
I have to admit I think the Jets have largely been outplayed in the series, but every once in a while they seem to wake up and score a bunch of goals against the run of play. Something needs to wake them up though. In one of the games, it was Wheeler getting hit, and Schiefle coming to his aid, and all of a sudden the Jets were world-beaters. Before that, they were being outplayed. I think the coaching staff has to take some responsibility for ensuring the team is ready to play at the opening whistle.
Some of Maurice coaching decisions have been questionable, at best. One can argue that if Hendricks had not played in this series, the Jets would have finished the Preds off in 5 games. Perreault was healthy enough to play in Game 4, but Maurice "did not want to make 2 changes to the lineup." He has also given Myers/Chiarot equal ice-time with Trouba/Morrissey, which is our most effective D-man pair.

His shuffling of lines after a big 6-2 win in Game 5 was convoluted, and ruined the chemistry of some lines. We have to run and gun, play the body, and beat the trap if it comes down to it. Helle needs to come up big, and we need big games from Ehlers, Laine, and Byfuglien.

Old Posted May 10, 2018, 6:12 PM
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ando View Post
I don't think trying to "take out" a player in game 7 is a smart strategy. That's what Subban wants, to get into your head.
OK, let's continue to let him run at our players, without payback. One Buff smash, a concussion, and he's rendered ineffective. Subban's a punk, and even his teammates don't respect him (just like Montreal). Before you come at me with the "holier than thou" attitude, let me remind of all of the most cherished and memorable series in Canadian history- 1972 vs the Soviets. Kharmalov was the Gretzky of the 70s for Russia. He was destrying the Canadians. That is, until John Ferguson motioned to Bobby Clarke over at the Canadian bench to "give a little tap to his ankle." It was the turning point of the series. Team Canada would go on to win the next 2 games, after Kharmalov had to leave the series with a broken ankle.

Canada won by playing dirty. Nobody is going to care if we take of PK, Forsberg, or Rinne, except Nashville. By then we will be home facing Vegas. No mercy. Time to play dirty.

Old Posted May 10, 2018, 6:21 PM
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by esquire View Post
I'm picking up on this sense of doom just about everywhere, it seems.

It's funny, almost everyone seemed to predict this series to go 7 games. And it did. So how does such a close series suddenly become a slam dunk for Nashville in the final game? I don't get it.
It's a Winnipeg thing. Trust me.

Aside from the Blue Bombers of 1984-90, there has been a history of losing in Winnipeg pro sports. 1990 vs the Oilers- we blew a 3-1 lead and lost in 7. 1992 vs Vancouver, we again blew a 3-1 lead vs the Canuks to lose in 7. The 2001 Grey Cup. In 2007, we would have won the cup except our starrting QB went down with a broken collar bone in the Semi Final, and a backup with no experience was forced to play. 2011, we blew it. 2015, swept by the Ducks.

Winnipeg is not used to winning. That changes tonight OR WE RIOT!!!

Old Posted May 10, 2018, 6:29 PM

We need to remember. Nashville won the Presidents Trophy. They're a great team with experience. I truly believe the Jets are slightly less of a team. However. The Jets are right there and just need to be consistent, as others have mentioned.

Old Posted May 10, 2018, 6:34 PM
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by bomberjet View Post
We need to remember. Nashville won the Presidents Trophy. They're a great team with experience. I truly believe the Jets are slightly less of a team. However. The Jets are right there and just need to be consistent, as others have mentioned.
No.

All stats are even. We are pretty much equal. I truly believe this game will come down to coaching (which worries me). Maurice has been good this year, but Lav is just a superior coach. If the Jets want to win this series, they will have to do so on talent, since we are the superior team. Nashville plays the trap, and that is a technique used, when you know that your team cannot compete offensively with an opposing team. If Maurice knew how to balance the defensive lines, I would be a lot more confident.

More Morrissey/Trouba, and less Myers/Chiarot.

Old Posted May 10, 2018, 7:35 PM

Right now, my sense is Nashville is better. Just my opinion. Maybe it's the coaching as you mentioned.

Old Posted May 10, 2018, 7:38 PM
There is always a way

I think the jets will show up to play. They're gonna do something special.

Old Posted May 10, 2018, 7:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jets4Life View Post
It's a Winnipeg thing. Trust me.

Aside from the Blue Bombers of 1984-90, there has been a history of losing in Winnipeg pro sports. 1990 vs the Oilers- we blew a 3-1 lead and lost in 7. 1992 vs Vancouver, we again blew a 3-1 lead vs the Canuks to lose in 7. The 2001 Grey Cup. In 2007, we would have won the cup except our starrting QB went down with a broken collar bone in the Semi Final, and a backup with no experience was forced to play. 2011, we blew it. 2015, swept by the Ducks.

Winnipeg is not used to winning. That changes tonight OR WE RIOT!!!
I hope you are joking. We don't need that in our city. It's ugly.

Old Posted May 10, 2018, 8:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bomberjet View Post
Although that's true, we have to remember that of the top 8 teams in the Western Conference to make the playoffs last year, Nashville was number 8 in qualifying. Chicago had the best record in the West with 109 points which was 15 points better than Nashville. However, even though the Blackhawks were a great team with more experience, they were eliminated in 4 games straight by the Predators. Nashville has been effective against the Jets in the playoffs this year when they play the trap game. I would not necessarily say the Jets are slightly less of a team. Our goaltending has been on par and so has our scoring. If Nashville isn't able to play a trap style of game, I think the Jets are just as good if not better than the Predators. If Nashville is able to get the first goal or two and establish the trap, the odds are definitely against the Jets. However, if the Jets score first and the game opens up, things should go well for Winnipeg.

Old Posted May 10, 2018, 8:30 PM

Maybe I should clarify. Both teams are really good. Jets offense is fire. For whatever reason, my sense is Nashville has the edge over the last few games.

On the flip side, Winnipeg seems to come out guns blazing on the road in this series. That is where I think they'll persevere. So yes, I think the Jets will beat Nashville tonight.

And it's not one of those "oh well, just happy to be hear." I don't think anyone in Winnipeg will be happy with anything less than a Stanley Cup Final berth.

Old Posted May 10, 2018, 9:10 PM

Even though I picked Nashville to win the Cup in our playoff bracket pool at work, I'm pulling for the Jets to win tonight.

One positive note is that Game 3 proved that the Jets can fall behind badly and still not be out of it. Nice to know that an early 3-0 deficit doesn't mean the boys fold the tent and give up.

Old Posted May 10, 2018, 9:20 PM
jammon member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crisis View Post
Even though I picked Nashville to win the Cup in our playoff bracket pool at work, I'm pulling for the Jets to win tonight.

One positive note is that Game 3 proved that the Jets can fall behind badly and still not be out of it. Nice to know that an early 3-0 deficit doesn't mean the boys fold the tent and give up.
The Jets have to dictate play and not allow Nashville to go up a goal or two. They are brilliant at playing the defensive trap which killed the Jets in games #3 and #5. It's very similar to the god-awful style New Jersey used in the 90s when they won all those cups. Very effective, but boring to watch. If Nashville is allowed to play that game, the Jets are doomed. They have no answer to that style of play.

Old Posted May 10, 2018, 11:25 PM
Starring as himself

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jammon View Post
The Jets have to dictate play and not allow Nashville to go up a goal or two. They are brilliant at playing the defensive trap which killed the Jets in games #3 and #5. It's very similar to the god-awful style New Jersey used in the 90s when they won all those cups. Very effective, but boring to watch. If Nashville is allowed to play that game, the Jets are doomed. They have no answer to that style of play.
They need to get a goal and get Nashville nervous and making mistakes. Only then will my prophecy prove false!

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Manitoba & Saskatchewan