HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > Buildings & Architecture > Completed Project Threads Archive

Three World Trade Center in the SkyscraperPage Database

Building Data Page   • Comparison Diagram   • New York Skyscraper Diagram

Map Location
New York Projects & Construction Forum

Old Posted Jan 3, 2011, 4:05 AM
cookies, skittles & milk

That first picture of the Potsdamer Plan reminds me of the U of Leicester Engineering Building.

love it! i think some renderings do make the base a bit meh, but this is one of those buildings i feel will look amazing in photographs once it's finished!

Old Posted Jan 3, 2011, 5:21 AM
Because I'm Clever!

Top of the building

Old Posted Jan 3, 2011, 11:39 AM

hey STR i saw ur three buildings on diagram, so i think 175 Greenwich u've done good, but 2 others too hard, dark and without reflections. I wish more air in these buildings, but anyway great job! I liked ur 3d models, some renders even better than oficial hehehe

Old Posted Jan 3, 2011, 3:30 PM
New Yorker for life

Quote:
Originally Posted by STR View Post
Top of the building
Almost dizzying from that angle.

“Office buildings are our factories – whether for tech, creative or traditional industries we must continue to grow our modern factories to create new jobs,” said United States Senator Chuck Schumer.

Old Posted Jan 8, 2011, 10:00 PM
Skyscraper Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by The-T View Post
hey STR i saw ur three buildings on diagram, so i think 175 Greenwich u've done good, but 2 others too hard, dark and without reflections. I wish more air in these buildings, but anyway great job! I liked ur 3d models, some renders even better than oficial hehehe
I agree with The-T, STR you can do some better work on those drawings.

Old Posted Jan 11, 2011, 2:07 AM
New Yorker for life

Image taken from wtc.com

“Office buildings are our factories – whether for tech, creative or traditional industries we must continue to grow our modern factories to create new jobs,” said United States Senator Chuck Schumer.

Last edited by NYguy; Jan 12, 2011 at 5:19 PM.

Old Posted Jan 13, 2011, 2:35 PM
New Yorker for life

http://www.foxnews.com/us/2011/01/12...enduring-cold/

Rise of Freedom: Enduring the Cold

Foundation of Tower Three

By Martin Hinton
January 12, 2011

Quote:
Nineteen, fifteen, twenty; quick, what do those numbers have in common? Hint: they are low, the low temperatures in New York City for some of the days this January. As of yesterday the average low for January was 25 degrees Fahrenheit.

The truth is that’s about normal and that’s not news for people working outside. People like Angelo Sicchio, who is working on the foundation of Three World Trade Center.

"Yes it's cold,” he said, “but we are used to this weather. We work in this business for thirty years, it's not too much for us."

Joe Regula is putting in concrete forms for Tower Three’s foundation and he couldn’t agree more.

“If you stand around you’re going to get cold, so you have to keep going, keep yourself busy," he said.

“In the winter you can remove something, but in summer what are you going to take off, skin?"

They’re a tough bunch and that isn’t lost on Sean Johnson, who is overseeing the construction of Tower Three for Silverstein Properties.

"The men and women in construction are pretty resilient, they are tough,” said Johnson. “They will show up to work whether it's raining or snowing.”

As he talks, Johnson’s smile indicates the pride and respect he has for the men and women doing the hard labor. The cold may not affect them, but it is something to consider.

“When we pour concrete, we sometimes tent the decks and temporarily heat the decks so that we can maintain the right temperature so our concrete sets and doesn't crack and we don't have issues at a future date," he said.

The grin on Johnson’s face is replaced by a serious look when he considers the dangers winter does bring.

"Certainly down in the World Trade Center site the wind is a factor,” he said.

Johnson sees safety as the number one priority.

“Hoists will not run or cranes will be shut down because of extreme wind, and that usually happens in the winter time," he added.

But the reality everyone working at the site faces is one that nags so many of us. Why has this taken so long? That question gets asked a lot and the truth is Sicchio, Regula and Johnson aren’t the people to ask. They are looking ahead and when it comes to the weather you don’t have to be totally powerless.

"To a certain extent you roll with the punches, however you need to prepare, we know there is a snow storm coming, the meteorologists are saying 6-12 inches this Wednesday,” Johnson said. “So we have to make sure we are prepared to clean the snow as quickly as possible because we don't want to lose the time for the work that has to be [done].”

Old Posted Jan 14, 2011, 2:56 PM
The Time To Build Is Now

That is the kind of attitude and dedication that'll eventually get this and tower 2 built.

Old Posted Jan 15, 2011, 2:40 PM
New Yorker for life

Here's the video for that last piece (FOX News)

Video Link

Old Posted Jan 15, 2011, 11:10 PM

I know i'll probably get lots of flack for saying this, but I think this is the only building that doesn't seem to fit with WTC 1,2, and 4. From a stylistic standpoint it is better suited to the area where Conde Nast and the NY Times towers are. It has that "industrial" look to it where the other WTC towers maintain the "clean curtain wall" theme.

Old Posted Jan 16, 2011, 2:58 AM

That's the genius of it. Each of the WTC towers features a unique element, and the structural expressionism of 3WTC adds character and variety.

Old Posted Jan 16, 2011, 3:01 AM
New Yorker for life

Quote:
Originally Posted by gramsjdg View Post
I know i'll probably get lots of flack for saying this, but I think this is the only building that doesn't seem to fit with WTC 1,2, and 4. From a stylistic standpoint it is better suited to the area where Conde Nast and the NY Times towers are. It has that "industrial" look to it where the other WTC towers maintain the "clean curtain wall" theme.
"Variety is the spice of life..."

Old Posted Jan 18, 2011, 8:46 PM
Frigidus Maximus

Quote:
Originally Posted by uaarkson View Post
That's the genius of it. Each of the WTC towers features a unique element, and the structural expressionism of 3WTC adds character and variety.
I think the unifying factors will be a) the way the towers fit into Libeskind's ascending swirl, running from the South and peaking with the mast of the FT to the north, and b) the sheer scale of the buildings, that easily dwarf all else in lower Manhattan. Stylistic differences will fade under the overwhelming impact of these two factors.

I ❤️ NY

Old Posted Jan 18, 2011, 9:08 PM

You want something built right hire Italians, you want the best steel workers in the world hire Mohawks from Montreal

Old Posted Feb 1, 2011, 3:48 PM
New Yorker for life

Still waiting for cranes on this site...

knightbreather

Old Posted Feb 1, 2011, 6:51 PM
don't *meddle*...

^^ who would have thought that 2wtc would be the first to get tower cranes on the site. nevertheless i'm pretty sure i won't be long till we more action here.

Old Posted Feb 1, 2011, 10:10 PM

(Snipped from NYGuy's post above)

Is that the bottom chord of the West Truss?

Old Posted Feb 2, 2011, 3:06 AM
New Yorker for life

Quote:
Originally Posted by hunser View Post
^^ who would have thought that 2wtc would be the first to get tower cranes on the site. nevertheless i'm pretty sure i won't be long till we more action here.
Well, the towers and sites aren't identicle, and T2 did get a little headstart when things finally got back underway. Still, it won't be long.

Old Posted Feb 4, 2011, 3:37 AM
Down, CUT LOOSE!

Mohawks are "steel workers" now? pretty sure "steel workers" are the guys sweatin balls in the mills producing and fabricating the structural members that us "ironworkers" erect at a break neck pace. I know some damn fine american indian iw's and am proud to work with them everyday! UP UP!!!
Build, Buy, Be American.

Old Posted Feb 4, 2011, 10:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NYguy View Post
Here's the video for that last piece (FOX News)

Video Link
Their 3D WTC models are horribly out of scale. I sentence Fox News' graphic designer to be slapped by STR.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > Buildings & Architecture > Completed Project Threads Archive