HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Alberta & British Columbia > Vancouver > Metro Vancouver & the Fraser Valley

Old Posted Jun 19, 2018, 6:24 PM
D-Class Suburbanite

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kisai View Post
That literately went up in the last day, because I was there two days ago and it was just painted blue.
Since when Walmart decided to put a store in Metrotown with all of the “demoviction” stuff happening to it?

Old Posted Jun 19, 2018, 10:13 PM

The article on retail insider about the walmart at metrotown says that the demolition clause was one of the points in the lease. They also said the store has been under construction for a few months now and will open in the Fall of 2018.

Old Posted Jun 19, 2018, 11:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SpongeG View Post
The article on retail insider about the walmart at metrotown says that the demolition clause was one of the points in the lease. They also said the store has been under construction for a few months now and will open in the Fall of 2018.
I'm not surprised by the demolition clause - the mall likely wants to cover its butt. That's one of the locations that's likely to be redeveloped.

I was thinking Walmart would open sometime between labour day and xmas - now it sounds more like it'll be open before halloween.

Old Posted Jun 20, 2018, 12:17 AM

I would think they'd want to be open certainly before Black Friday and definitely well before the Christmas shopping period, so Halloween definitely makes sense.

Old Posted Jun 22, 2018, 11:04 PM

Willingdon Linear Park Today:

Old Posted Jun 22, 2018, 11:15 PM

Umm is that going to be a water feature or something?

Old Posted Jun 23, 2018, 3:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sheba View Post
I'm not surprised by the demolition clause - the mall likely wants to cover its butt. That's one of the locations that's likely to be redeveloped.

I was thinking Walmart would open sometime between labour day and xmas - now it sounds more like it'll be open before halloween.
Anybody what will happen to the Walmart in Vancouver? I am referring to the one on Natal/Grandview Hwy. It serves Vancouver and North BURNABY.

Old Posted Jun 23, 2018, 4:13 AM

From Vancouvermarket,...

Two more tower proposals for Metrotown by Anthem Properties.

6444 Willingdon Avenue & 4241 Maywood Street

The plan for this 65,486 SF site located at the comer of Willingdon Avenue and Maywood Street is a new 42-storey highrise, with townhouses fronting Maywood Street and Cassie Avenue, and a 3-storey non-market rental building. The site is in the Maywood neighbourhood and is utilizing the RM5s and RMS Multiple Family Residential Districts and Metrotown Downtown Plan as guidelines.

Details of this proposal include:

378 units;
348 condo units;
30 non-market rental units (New Vista Society);
a total density of 5.32 FAR;
a total tower height of 430 ft.;
470 underground parking spaces.

6075 Wilson Avenue

This site is located at the comer of Wilson Avenue and Central Boulevard and totals 62,641 SF. The Metrotown Downtown Plan identifies this neighbourhood as a high density neighbourhood with a garden-like setting that is defined by its relationships to Central Park, Kingsway, the BC Parkway and Patterson SkyTrain station. The rezoning policy for the site is based upon the RM5s and RM3 designations.

The proposed development plan is for a single 45-storey condo tower oriented towards the comer of Central Boulevard and Wilson Avenue with a 4-storey townhouse podium oriented towards Wilson Avenue and a 4-storey non-market rental housing component oriented towards Central Boulevard.

Details include:

379 units;
347 condo units;
32 non-market rental units;
a total density of 5.37 FAR;
a total tower height of 425 ft.;
419 underground parking spaces.

http://www.vancouvermarket.ca/2018/0...sed-by-anthem/

I'm a bit surprised that the proposed Wllingdon/Maywood Tower is applying for as tall as it is (42 storeys).
I thought the plan was to have towers taper down in height as you went south from Central Blvd. towards Imperial

It's nice to see some non-market/rental components to both projects, even though they're rather (relatively) small.

Old Posted Jun 23, 2018, 6:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by VarBreStr18 View Post
Anybody what will happen to the Walmart in Vancouver? I am referring to the one on Natal/Grandview Hwy. It serves Vancouver and North BURNABY.
I imagine they will keep it, its easier to get parking than Metrotown

Old Posted Jun 23, 2018, 6:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spr0ckets View Post
In other Marlborough-ish news, the Safeway on Kingsway and Royal Oak is shutting down and closing permanently in a little over two weeks on the 5th of July.

Does anyone know of any possible redevelopment plans for that site?

Seems like a really prime location for some major mixed used type development with the Kingsway and Royal Oak junction.
I don't know anything, but I've also got my eye on that spot. All the tenants in the medical building behind the Safeway have moved out for years now, and the homeless have noticed. The lights are on but nobody's home. There's gotta be some sort of consolidation and redevelopment plans behind the scenes. The Wholesale Club next door was renovated not long ago, so I don't see them budging.

That Safeway's parking lot is also home to a modo stall. I've always wondered how much use the car there gets.

Old Posted Jun 23, 2018, 6:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by osirisboy View Post
Umm is that going to be a water feature or something?
Looks like Burnaby is calling this a "pocket park". It's at Charles Street & Willingdon.. apparently it has "water sculptural features". Not sure if it's the only water feature there, but I can't find any specifics on it.

Old Posted Jun 25, 2018, 4:05 PM

Did they cancel the giant hammock from the Willingdon lineal park?

Old Posted Jul 10, 2018, 4:05 AM

.....a little bit of an update to an earlier update I had posted a while ago.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spr0ckets View Post
Not sure if these have been updated anywhere else, but they were just posted at Vancouvermarket a couple of days ago.

3 more new tower highrise applications for Metrotown submitted for rezoning.
5977 Wilson Avenue

BlueSky Properties is seeking to go to first reading next month for a site in the Central Park East neighbourhood of Metrotown. This 53,000 SF site sits just North of Patterson Station. This project also falls within the City’s RM-5s district guidelines in the Metrotown Downtown Plan.

The plan calls for a 39-storey highrise building that includes:

293 units;
34 studios, 92 one-bedrooms, 138 two-bedrooms & 29 three bedrooms (including 6 townhouses);
a total density of 5.0 FAR;
a total building height of 430 ft.;
323 underground parking spaces.

http://www.vancouvermarket.ca/2018/0...etrotown-site/

Some internet sleuthing led me to discover this rendering (not official yet since I haven't seen it posted in any official capacity anywhere else) of this project, that was posted by the artist who was hired to render it for the architects.

What I found particularly interesting is that the architect listed for the project is Gensler.
Yes, THAT Gensler (they did the (current) tallest tower in China and (also currently) 2nd tallest tower in the world)

So Metrotown is going to have a couple of towers done by KPF (only a block or two away at Station Square) and Gensler.
Not too shabby.
(even though this particular design is rather 'meh' and on the bland side)

Old Posted Jul 10, 2018, 4:18 AM

Looks good

Old Posted Jul 10, 2018, 4:37 AM

Quote:
The design concept for the overall development is a celebration of modem architecture through simplicity in design. The tower base features a fully glazed double-height lobby that is inwardly-set to convey a sense of “airiness”. The tower body, which is rectilinear in form, features a verticd mullion pattern that carries to the top of the tower. Architectural interest to the building is enhanced by a horizontal break at the mid-section of the tower, which features a double-height framed box. The overall design of the tower is also expressed in the architecture of the townhouses, which are oriented towards Wilson Avenue and the proposed east-west neighbourhood linkage along the south property line of the site. Allparking is to be provided underground with vehicular access provided via the rear lane.”
https://eagenda.burnaby.ca/sirepub/c...8094020149.PDF

Old Posted Jul 10, 2018, 5:27 AM

It looks decent. Not your typical cookie cutter condo that's for sure. Looks like the amenities would be on the 14th with about 25+ foot ceilings. I wonder if they will install some glass floors in that portion of the building where the amenity room sticks out.

Old Posted Jul 10, 2018, 6:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by skymaster View Post
It looks decent. Not your typical cookie cutter condo that's for sure. Looks like the amenities would be on the 14th with about 25+ foot ceilings. I wonder if they will install some glass floors in that portion of the building where the amenity room sticks out.
Primary communal facilities for development are located over levels one, sixteen and seventeen. Level one includes an amenity lobby, seating area, mail room and concierge. Levels sixteen and seventeen includes a pool, pool deck, fitness room, lounge area, private dining room and kitchen, entertainment room, and business centre and study rooms. The amenity area amounts to 12,546 sq. ft., which is less than the permitted 5% exemption (13,496 sq. ft.) from Gross Floor Area permitted within the Zoning Bylaw.

Old Posted Jul 10, 2018, 6:50 PM

Love this building! It's lack of protruding balconies make it look like an office or hotel building. Also see the huge contrast with the typical Vancouver towers around it, and the ugly walk-ups. Get this built and it will be a winner!

Old Posted Jul 10, 2018, 6:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by VarBreStr18 View Post
I'd rather go to the Metrotown Walmart ANYTIME over the Vancouver one, which is located in a boring industrial lot. There are so many more services that I can make use in Metrotown.

Even if the Vancouver Walmart shuts down, I wouldn't be sorry.

Old Posted Jul 10, 2018, 9:42 PM

Nice find.

I like the clean lines, too, without protruding balconies.
The lobby looks more appropriate for a major arterial, rather than a sleepy side street.
(I'll bet the neighbours complain the lobby is too bright).

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Alberta & British Columbia > Vancouver > Metro Vancouver & the Fraser Valley