HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > City Compilations

Old Posted May 11, 2018, 11:04 PM
Registered Ugly

Quote:
Originally Posted by DetroitSky View Post
Reminds me a bit of this building in the N. Williams area of Portland:

https://goo.gl/maps/gaBgwzgSHo42

Old Posted May 11, 2018, 11:12 PM

Edit: already posted

Old Posted May 13, 2018, 1:20 AM

I drove through the North End today and photographed this project as well as many other houses in the neighborhood being restored. The photo shows the area in the North End on Marston and Mount Vernon streets between Woodward and John R. The apartment building and a house on Marston already appear to have begun renovations and have new windows. I'll post photos of this area as well as other developments in the neighborhood later.

88 miles of Detroit roads will be repaved this year

This article from March 2018 mentions the planned small format Meijer store announced for East Jefferson near downtown is going to break ground this summer with a planned opening in 2019. Here's a look back at the rendering from the announcement in October 2017:

Source

Old Posted May 13, 2018, 4:32 AM

Here's those photos from around that North End block, as well as some other developments I've come across recently.

Mount Vernon Street. The red house already appears to be under renovation, and farther down the street is an apartment building that also appears to have begun work. The house between them is currently occupied.

Here's the apartments down Mount Vernon. You can also see the Seward/Wellington apartments in the background.

Looking east down Mount Vernon from Woodward. All those empty lots on both sides of the street will be built on.

John R and Marston Street. This is the corner where the new apartment building will be built. It seems the rowhouses on the right in this photo will be renovated as well.

And some other miscellaneous stuff from today

257 & 263 Marston Street

420 Mount Vernon Street

415-417 Mount Vernon Street

The Seward/Wellington. According to the new website, its now called Wellington Square.

American Riad project, Euclid at Oakland. This project involves the corner commercial building and the house to the left, as well as the courtyard between them. The developers, a group of artists, plans on having 8-10 affordable residential units in the two buildings and 6 businesses connected by a central riad-based on traditional Moroccan courtyards commonly used to socialize amongst neighbors. The commercial building is currently occupied only by Red Jazz Shoe Shine, which will stay in the building. The project's website can be seen here.

St. Rita Apartments

1602 Clairmount Street. There's a sign on one of the windows stating "renovations underway", including a rendering of the finished product.

Cass Community Social Services is currently working on the second phase of their tiny homes project. These are on Richton near Woodrow Wilson

There were 3 or 4 more foundations to the west of the more complete homes above

1720 Taylor Street

Originally a synagogue, then a baptist church, then abandoned for a few years, this building is now being renovated to become Central Detroit Christian Community Center.

And these two were taken on May 10

2304 Trumbull in Woodbridge. They were working on the interior as I walked by. It looks much better than it did.

The new senior apartment building at Woodbridge Estates

Old Posted May 13, 2018, 5:26 AM
Midwest Moderator - Editor

OMG, you got to the two areas where I spent my early years. lol Mount Vernon is actually one of the badder-looking (or at least intact) streets in that neighborhood, so it's good to see this. My great-grandparents lived on Mount Vernon. My father's family grew up just a few blocks north; that street is more intact and the neighbors generally have kept up the vacant lots. The lot where my dad's family's house stood is maintained by the homeowners on either side; we found out that they are relatives of the people who used to live in those homes. I took these a bit more than a year ago. The other big thing about his old street is that you can still see it has its old trees even though there are many vacant lots:

20160605_144905

The North End

Basically, most anything still standing between Woodward and John R seems to have been moved into/under renovation/occupied/bought-awaiting renovation as far as I could tell, and redevelopment seems to be creeping east. We went back a few years ago with my grandmother to visit old neighbors who still live on her old street. I'll be happy if they can bring Oakland back. To me that's the real test. If they can hem the residential neighborhoods back in between Woodward and Oakland, then you're cooking with gas.

Clairmont and Woodrow Wilson is around where my mother grew up as a child. This west side set of neighborhoods is more intact than the older North End (which is on the east side), but it also looked to me that redevelopment is still in its infancy, here. With it being more intact, though, it's going to take less to bring it back.

Thanks for all of this neighborhood stuff. Stuff truly is happening everywhere.

Old Posted May 13, 2018, 7:01 AM

LMich, thats such a weird coincidence! Are you still in the Detroit area? If not and you'd like me to photograph some addresses for you I'd be happy to.

Its honestly crazy how many developments theres been in the North End recently. Every time I drive through there I find more renovations I hadn't seen before. Its like that with many neighborhoods now, though. Its mind blowing.

I'm glad you enjoy the neighborhood photos! There will be more to come.

Old Posted May 14, 2018, 12:34 PM

A click-baitey headline. But the article answers the question: greater downtown Detroit is not in any danger, right now, of overbuilding residential units.

Quote:
Are there enough people to fill downtown Detroit condos, apartments?

By John Gallgher | Detroit Free Press

May 14, 2018

So many new residential units are being built in the greater downtown Detroit that the question naturally arises: Are there really people to fill them all?

So far, the answer has been "yes." With millennials pouring into the city to work for Quicken Loans and other employers, newly opened residential projects in the greater downtown continue to fill up quickly.

DuCharme Place, an 185-unit apartment building that opened last year near Lafayette Park east of downtown is full and runs a small waiting list — a typical result with projects like the Scott on Woodward or the Broderick Tower on Grand Circus Park.
Quote:
Yet that's just a partial list. The total of new apartments and condos either recently opened, under construction or in planning pushes toward 5,000 units. And that in a downtown virtually abandoned as recently as 15 to 20 years ago.

Many developers scoff at the idea that the greater downtown is getting overbuilt. David DiRita, a partner in the Roxbury Group, which has completed several projects including a renovation of the David Whitney Building, said its residential projects continue to fill up.

"We’re still not at the numbers down here that a metropolitan area of our size can support," DiRita said. "I think we’ve got a lot of room to run still."
https://www.freep.com/story/money/bu...ion/597866002/

The article does say, however, that there may be a restaurant bubble.

Old Posted May 14, 2018, 10:39 PM

Quote:
$1 million redesign of East Jefferson in Detroit kicks off

By KURT NAGL
Crain's Detroit Business
May 14, 2018

-Construction to be complete by July 4
-Bike paths to connect to Belle Isle, riverfront
-Part of mayor's plan for more pedestrian-friendly city

The city of Detroit on Monday kicked off a $1 million redesign of East Jefferson Avenue that will cut two lanes of the thoroughfare to make way for bike lanes, slow speeds and improve pedestrian safety.

The project, first reported last month, is expected to be complete by July 4, city spokesman Tim Carroll said. The 5.4-mile stretch of road will remain open to traffic throughout the three phases of construction.

"We are executing this project with the specific goal of making Jefferson as safe as possible," said Ron Brundidge, director of public works for the city.

EAST JEFFERSON REDESIGN
Work on Jefferson Avenue will be done in three phases:

Phase 1: From Lakewood to St. Jean
Phase 2: From St. Jean to Van Dyke
Phase 3: From Van Dyke to Rivard
For more details, visit detroitmi.gov/eastjefferson.

The plan, which has drawn ire and praise, is to reduce the road from three lanes in each direction to two from Lakewood Street in the Jefferson-Chalmers neighborhood on the far east side to Rivard Street near downtown. Bicycle lanes with plenty of protective space from the roadway will take their place and pedestrians will have shorter crossing distances.
http://www.crainsdetroit.com/article...roit-kicks-off

Says the pot to the kettle in a moment of self projection

Old Posted May 14, 2018, 11:09 PM

^ wow this is great news. I’ve biked a few times up and down Jefferson and was nervous riding in the travel lanes since people drive well above the speed limit

Old Posted May 15, 2018, 10:10 PM

Quote:
Ford to shareholders: 'We expect to grow our presence in Detroit'

By CHAD LIVENGOOD
Crain's Detroit Business
May 15, 2018

"Given the company's dismal stock performance, please explain how the purchase of an abandoned train depot will add to shareholder value. If Ford does buy the Detroit rail station building in Detroit, will the building be devoted to just Ford or will parts of the building be leased out to other tenants?" the shareholder asked, according to a transcript.

Ford officials did not directly answer the shareholder's question about how it intends to use the train station.

But the company's answer to shareholders hinted at the reasoning behind expanding its workforce presence in Detroit beyond the Factory building on Michigan Avenue that the company already has said will house 200-plus employees from its electric and automotous vehicle teams.

"As a company we are in a race for talent when it comes to the vehicle, software and data engineers that are developing the autonomous technology and creating mobility experiences and services that will transform the way people connect and interact," the company said.

"That is why we continue to build out our presence in Palo Alto, advance our software capabilities at FordLabs in Ann Arbor, transform our Dearborn campus, and why we are moving our AV and EV teams to Corktown in Detroit. We expect to grow our presence in Detroit and will share more details in the future."

It's unclear just how much of Ford's AV and EV teams will be relocated to Detroit.
http://www.crainsdetroit.com/article...nce-in-detroit

Old Posted May 15, 2018, 11:17 PM

Some new pics of Bedrock's 3D skyline model.

Quote:
Bedrock’s 3D model shows Detroit’s skyline of the near future

By Robin Runyan
Curbed Detroit
May 10, 2018

https://detroit.curbed.com/2018/5/10...ne-near-future

Old Posted May 16, 2018, 2:03 PM

Is the Monroe Blocks project reflected in the model?

Old Posted May 16, 2018, 3:41 PM
Registered Ugly

Quote:
Originally Posted by seabee1526 View Post
Is the Monroe Blocks project reflected in the model?
Yes. In the header image, it is to the right of the Hudson Block.

Old Posted May 18, 2018, 9:07 AM

Well, it's now be officially proposed.

Quote:

Big buildings planned for Detroit's once-desolate Brush Park

By JC Reindl, Detroit Free Press

May 17, 2018

Three new buildings have been proposed for Detroit's Brush Park, a once-desolate neighborhood near Little Caesars Arena that is now buzzing with construction activity.

The biggest of the three is a seven-story structure planned for a dirt lot at John R and Edmund Place.

The building — to be called 112 Edmund — would feature ground-floor retail topped by two floors of commercial space and four floors of about 32 condominiums, each unit likely priced above $400,000.

https://www.freep.com/story/money/20...ent/620519002/
A reminder of the components of the project via Curbed Detroit:

Quote:
112 Edmund

2827 John R

105 Alfred

Old Posted May 20, 2018, 2:39 AM

I posted construction photos on this Canine To Five expansion project a week or so ago. A three month renovation of the original store is set to begin in July as well:

Canine to Five finally expanding its Midtown location

MarxModa opens Detroit headquarters in historic downtown building

Living Trades Academy, a restoration job training program, launches in the North End

^Living Trades Academy is working to turn this former church into a community center, as well as restoring the house to the east of it.

Gilberts buy 17-foot-tall statue for Detroit's Campus Martius

Old Posted May 21, 2018, 11:12 AM

I was looking through some recent council agendas, and found somethings from the May 17th planning & economic development committee:

1. The Planning & Development Department (P&DD) submitted a purchase offer for the land at 119 Garfield (at John R) in Midtown for a project animated last posted about here last June.

The proposal includes 85 residential units. The next step would include the developer entering into a development agreement with P&DD since this is a Planned District (PD) zoning designation.

2. A small development, but P&DD submitted another purchase agreement with a developer looking to construct what I imagine is a small office building a 11621 Linwood on the west side. This is directly across the street from Central High School's baseball field near the corner with Burlingame. The two existing corner buildings look to be half-way occupied (i.e. the apartments upstairs look to be used)? I wonder if this would include redoing those two? Anyway, I found this one to be notable because more than housing, some of the first stuff removed in the neighborhoods were retail and commerical buildings along the streets.

3. The public hearing for the rezoning for the Studio Live project we talked about last month was held.

This is a major upzoning essentially expanding the zoning definition of New Center, and will allow the 8-story apartment building addition.

Old Posted May 22, 2018, 5:51 PM
Registered Ugly

Quote:

Michigan Strategic Fund greenlights $618 million in brownfield incentives for Gilbert
May 21, 2018 at 3:31 PM by KIRK PINHO

The Michigan Strategic Fund on Tuesday approved about $618 million in brownfield incentives for $2.14 billion in Dan Gilbert projects in downtown Detroit. It's the first time the state has approved such incentives, which were put into place following passage of a law enacted last year that allows the capture of certain taxes to help bolster development in Michigan communities.
Source: http://www.crainsdetroit.com/article...-in-brownfield

Old Posted May 22, 2018, 8:33 PM

I just took a little time to read this Crain's article out of curiosity, cause these massive "incentives" granted to Gilbert's company at taxpayer expense seemed intriguing.

But then it appears only people who'll somehow benefit from opportunities offered by these projects will pay for the related state-funded incentives.
So no one should complain.

Pretty smart. That's a good deal for now, I guess.
These are big projects.

Old Posted May 22, 2018, 10:19 PM

Majestic Theatre complex getting $1 million makeover in Midtown

About time! A new marquee inspired by the 1935 one, increased capacity, a new lobby, the ability to double the amount of shows and the facade repairs seem to be the highlight. I’m really excited to see how this turns out.

Old Posted May 23, 2018, 7:53 AM

I'm a big art deco fan, but the facade of the Majestic has always looked so cheap, and even worse than that is how poorly maintained its been. I'd rather they tear that off and try to recreate something approximating the original, or even just something simple with some actual windows or openings on it. It's such a crummy face for such an important and prominent entertainment venue.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > City Compilations