HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Mountain West

Old Posted Dec 5, 2017, 3:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mojiferous View Post
There are a few of us (mostly those of us that actually grew up in Denver) that are happy about the growth, mostly because we remember how boring/dangerous it was to live in Denver in the 90s, and how many now-popular neighborhoods were full of sketchy crack houses and abandoned buildings.

Every time some relative newcomer frets about how scary 16th has gotten I relate the story of how I left work at 6pm on a Tuesday in 1997 only to see a huge street fight and shooting happening in front of the Taco Bell on California - and that it was so un-extraordinary that it didn't even make the news. Or I tell them how the Union Station neighborhood was an empty field where the beheaded bodies of homeless people kept turning up... But they just grasp their puffy vests and fiddle with their Subaru keys and talk about how gentrification is giving them the vapors.

Hahah so true. Everyone has selective memories. Denver circa 1990 looked like a rust belt city in decline. (Check out this site for late 80s early 90s pics -
http://www.denverphotoarchives.com/news.html ).

Light traffic. Everyone home in bed by 9 pm. Homes could be had on the cheap in Uptown, Highlands, Park Hill, Cap Hill and even Wash Park because no one wanted to live there and rising crime and urban decay suggested a bleak future that looked a lot like eastern cities. Fortunately, things changed.

Last edited by CherryCreek; Dec 5, 2017 at 3:37 PM.

Old Posted Dec 5, 2017, 4:32 PM
Reluctant Hobbesian

Quote:
Originally Posted by PLANSIT View Post
Just the office portion.

I believe phase 2 (possibly hotel) is still a work in progress. Much more complicated with historic building and 16th St. Mall.

I think everyone missed the significance of my earlier post regarding the Emily Griffith redevelopment submittal. Long rumored to be a second convention center hotel.
You know we won't get excited until we see some more details and renderings. Also, is this project contingent on some public subsidies? I thought I remember some discussion about that happening.

All of us who are concerned for peace and triumph of reason and justice must be keenly aware how small an influence reason and honest good will exert upon events in the political field. ~Albert Einstein

Old Posted Dec 5, 2017, 4:39 PM

Quote:
I think everyone missed the significance of my earlier post regarding the Emily Griffith redevelopment submittal. Long rumored to be a second convention center hotel.
Oh I took notice as that block is a long-time favorite but also assumed the process still has time to go. We've not heard anything relative to plans other than rumors. Given it's historical significance I'm very much interested on what Stonebridge will do.

What I did miss is that in August the the City and the Denver Urban Renewal Authority agreed to use of tax-increment financing on that block. A second convention hotel is a heavy lift for anybody so it will be interesting to see what develops. Given the August TIF agreement the timing now makes sense.

Old Posted Dec 5, 2017, 5:09 PM

Not a highrise or new convention hotel but still Very Interesting

Denver aims to finish first phases of National Western Center project sooner as it prepares for mega-contract
December 5, 2017 By JON MURRAY - Denver Post
Quote:
Newly released schedule aims for 7 years instead of 10, with city’s portion costing $765 million

Denver city officials behind the $1 billion National Western Center project aim to get the ball rolling on construction early next year when they bid out a mega-contract for much of the site-clearing and road-building work.
So where to from here?
Quote:
After five years of preparation on the sprawling project, that contract — with an estimated value of $250 million or more — is the largest of several that are moving forward in coming months. Officials from Denver Mayor Michael Hancock’s Office of the National Western Center on Tuesday are unveiling a “baseline schedule” that projects the first two phases will be complete by 2024, instead of taking the full decade that had been projected
The article also mentions that Denver has lowered their costs to $765 million down from $856 million, partly as a result of using a shorter time for buildout.

Just a guess that with a lot of preliminary planning finished (after five years) and looking at what is going on with the national economic scene they want to push ahead before interest rates and costs get ahead of them. Since they already have voter authorization for bonding there's no reason to dawdle.

Old Posted Dec 5, 2017, 5:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by corey View Post
The problem with Portland... is that it is very boring. There is actually very little to do there. I know. I went to college there. I have always had family there. And I’ve lived there as an adult a few different times. My parents also live south of there in Corvallis, which is a nice, pretty sleepy, college town. When we’re visiting my parents, my 15 year old son and I usually go to Portland. We are always bored after about 2 hours and leave to go back to Corvallis.
Having never been myself, I can't really have an opinion on this matter. All I know is what I've heard - that it's a bit of a "planning Disneyland" (as the article states), and that it is very expensive. I can only assume that, like any city, it would surprise me in some ways while also delivering on some of the stereotypes. Being the only major city left on the west coast I haven't visited, I think I can at least imagine what it might be like.

But I'm more interested in the questions introduced about incremental urban growth, and of whether simple supply and demand can fully explain the degree of housing scarcity we see in cities experiencing a boom of high-paid jobs. The argument that landowners are willing to hold on to vacant property for DECADES waiting to max out their FAR is something that we see all around our own city - many lots downtown have been sitting vacant since DURA. If property owners were more of the mindset that they could build something smaller or lower quality today, and then rebuild in 30 years, could this provide more affordable units in the short term? What if the city could get thousands of new units in the form of ADUs financed by private home loans? And could the author be right that dramatic up-zoning is a primary cause of land value distortion?

Old Posted Dec 5, 2017, 5:16 PM

A new 13 story, 169 unit affordable apartment building is being proposed at 2250 Champa in Arapahoe Square:

http://www.denvergov.org/content/dam...AB_Concept.pdf

Old Posted Dec 5, 2017, 6:15 PM

Quote:
I caught it, did a google search using several sets of keywords that might lead me to any new info we haven't already seen, and found nothing new. It's still too early to get too excited I guess, but it's good to know we're a step closer.

I'm eagerly awaiting more info on that site as well as the Next Stage plan because the SimCity geek in me wants to see Denver get it's first skyscraper(s) south of 14th St. All it would take is a lone skyscraper south of 14th to significantly broaden the skyline from many vantage points.

Speaking of broadening the skyline, I've been curious about these guys:

2114 Curtis Residential - 2017PM291 - 2114 Curtis St - 31-story structure with 200 micro-unit apartments

21st and Lawrence - 2017PM239 - 2100 Lawrence St - 32-story, 254, 500 SF mixed-use structure: 251 micro-unit apartments, 146-room hotel, ground-floor retail/restaurant

Old Posted Dec 5, 2017, 7:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sam Hill View Post
Speaking of broadening the skyline, I've been curious about these guys:

2114 Curtis Residential - 2017PM291 - 2114 Curtis St - 31-story structure with 200 micro-unit apartments

21st and Lawrence - 2017PM239 - 2100 Lawrence St - 32-story, 254, 500 SF mixed-use structure: 251 micro-unit apartments, 146-room hotel, ground-floor retail/restaurant
Whoa, whoa, whoa there are two 30+ story tower proposals out there that we didn't know anything about?

Old Posted Dec 5, 2017, 8:09 PM
ColoRADo

Quote:
Originally Posted by BG918 View Post
Whoa, whoa, whoa there are two 30+ story tower proposals out there that we didn't know anything about?
I suspect both are direct responses to the new design guidelines for AS.

Old Posted Dec 5, 2017, 8:49 PM

Quote:
I'm not surprised that we are going to start seeing more proposals coming out of the AS area. It's obviously the next frontier as Union Station builds out to completion. We all know that Elitch's/Pepsi Center have Amazon's name already on them

Old Posted Dec 5, 2017, 9:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mr1138 View Post
But I'm more interested in the questions introduced about incremental urban growth, and of whether simple supply and demand can fully explain the degree of housing scarcity we see in cities experiencing a boom of high-paid jobs. The argument that landowners are willing to hold on to vacant property for DECADES waiting to max out their FAR is something that we see all around our own city - many lots downtown have been sitting vacant since DURA. If property owners were more of the mindset that they could build something smaller or lower quality today, and then rebuild in 30 years, could this provide more affordable units in the short term? What if the city could get thousands of new units in the form of ADUs financed by private home loans? And could the author be right that dramatic up-zoning is a primary cause of land value distortion?
Let me take a different tack. My problem (if you will) is that I'm more a Big Picture guy. But I do understand supply and demand. From the simplistic graphs of Econ 101 into the real world where there's a multitude of different dynamics and complexities, it's much easier to understand from 30,000 feet. There are both random and irrational factors to consider. Recently the Dikeou family holdings have been discussed. They've owned their properties for decades with no intention of doing anything. It's not rational; but it is a real world fact.

In the aftermath of the recession, with many investors escaping the mayhem and with cash to burn, RE investor/developers started taking advantage in the more obvious coastal cities like NYC to San Francisco.

Denver became one of the earlier flyover cites to attract investment bcuz they didn't get overbuilt like many places did. Texas which had been growing rapidly and continued right through the recession also attracted investment. BTW, Portland was moderately over supplied and it's bounce-back was a couple of years behind Denver.

Early on I recall Mill Creek buying a block east of Broadway and I thought it good that someone was willing to venture there - more risk I assumed. Looking back from today my thought now seems ludicrous. Mill Creek built a four story project. Early on even investors that were smart to come to Denver were uncertain on how strong the market would be; otherwise Mill Creek would have built a much denser project. That's how it was in the early years.

Certainly developers became aware of the migration to urban centers; but how strong or how long would it last? Well it just grew and grew now that we can look back. For a few years many have thought we were reaching saturation and headed to an oversupply. Even the Fed threw out a 'caution flag' to their member banks. If you've lived through the cycles you know that getting overbuilt has been a common problem. Also many 'experts' have predicted for 5 years that another bubble was being created and that interest rates would rise rapidly and kill the golden goose.

The point is that some of the savviest and smartest minds in the business have continued to lag what continued to happen. There's no algorithm for predicting future demand. Stonemans_rowJ recently pointed to the tsunami of a apartments coming so maybe, finally Denver will reach (at least temporarily) saturation.

With respect to Zoning
It would have been good to follow the Great Denver Rezoning Project a few years ago. While I'm not familiar with the more granular the object was to update the code and look to the future including more dense development. It was logical and generally incremental changes were intended. What may seem logical and straightforward becomes anything but that when you start holding neighborhood meetings. Homeowners etc are not always rational; they're often emotional and resist/fear change. How many NIMBY conversations have we had over the years. Too many to count for sure.

BTW, using San Marcos as an example shows partly how little Marohn knows about Texas. In the land of 2nd amendment and property rights zoning is a suspicious interloper. Houston is well know for having NO zoning downtown. Build whatever your heart desires. It's the Texas way of doing things. Worth noting is than San Marcos is on the Austin to San Antonio tech corridor so expecting higher future values is not far-fetched.

Whether Marohn's 'theory' has any merit we'll never know bcuz it's unrealistic once you get into the real world of real people and real complexities and random factors. In other words life happens while we're making other plans.

Old Posted Dec 5, 2017, 10:06 PM

Quote:
rds70 mentioned the site plan submittals a while back. I looked a couple times but wasn't able to find any additional info on them. I'm not really getting my hopes up yet about these specific projects since we don't even know who the developers are and have yet to see anything reported about these proposals, but it is still somewhat exciting to learn there is some interest among developers in taking advantage of the new zoning for that area. It would be awesome if a couple of 30-story towers were able to break ground in AS before the current real estate cycle ends.

Old Posted Dec 5, 2017, 10:53 PM

Quote:
rds70 mentioned the site plan submittals a while back. I looked a couple times but wasn't able to find any additional info on them. I'm not really getting my hopes up yet about these specific projects since we don't even know who the developers are and have yet to see anything reported about these proposals, but it is still somewhat exciting to learn there is some interest among developers in taking advantage of the new zoning for that area. It would be awesome if a couple of 30-story towers were able to break ground in AS before the current real estate cycle ends.
Not against micro-units but it would be nice to see some condo towers.

Old Posted Dec 5, 2017, 11:04 PM
ColoRADo

That was fast:

Quote:
Site Address and Description
1901 Wazee St - 2017PM0000602 - Rockies West Lot

Old Posted Dec 5, 2017, 11:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TakeFive View Post
Not against micro-units but it would be nice to see some condo towers.
Yep. I agree. This city desperately needs more for-sale inventory. A downtown condo tower seems like a no-brainer. I'm obviously no expert but I don't see how a good proposal could fail in this market. I wonder if insurance rates have yet to begin reflecting the new climate in terms of construction defects law. It seems like condo developers are still holding back. Or maybe I just need to be more patient. Perhaps a condo boom is on the horizon.

Old Posted Dec 6, 2017, 12:43 AM
Reluctant Hobbesian

Quote:
That was fast:
Gotta get it in before January 1st. God knows that development plan submittals will dry up until the City Council can correct the abhorrent dung pile known as the Green Roof Intiative.

All of us who are concerned for peace and triumph of reason and justice must be keenly aware how small an influence reason and honest good will exert upon events in the political field. ~Albert Einstein

Old Posted Dec 6, 2017, 12:50 AM

I just don't see how a condo boom would even be possible. There are only x number of rich 2nd home owners and trust fund millennials and they are already being served by the new buildings currently being built like Coloradan or the one on Steele, or they buy the resale units on the market, or they happily rent a luxury apt with full amenities and better amenities than you'd find in a condo building where the HOA doesn't want to pay for that stuff.

To expand on that, if you work backwards and let's say you could have an entire building of 1 bedroom units for $400,000, let's say 800 sq ft. Probably not possible to build for that, and if you did, you'd have very basic finish with no amenties. Let's assume mortgage @4.25% with 20% down, you're at $2,000/month minimum with HOA. If you don't have 20% down, which I would assume "most" young urbanites do not, the monthly only goes up from there and significantly when you add in MI, higher interest rate, etc, etc.
That's not even taking into account closing costs.

You can rent 1 bedroom units in new and newish luxury buildings downtown for less than this. I recently called around for a friend to about 6 buildings in Riverfront, Union Station, Lodo for a 1 bedroom unit or what they call an urban 1 bedroom unit with partial wall and I was amazed. Every building I called had numerous 1 bedroom units avail and these were buildings built 1-3 years ago, not the brand new ones. I didn't even try any of the brand new ones. They are also offering all sorts of incentives without even asking about them.

I would think a smaller niche condo building would be easier to develop like maybe that one on Broadway down in Platt Park, as I would much more comfortable moving 30 units than 300 if your target demo is young urbanites. I expect to see more of these in the close-in neighborhoods.

Old Posted Dec 6, 2017, 1:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stonemans_rowJ View Post
I just don't see how a condo boom would even be possible.
Hmmm. You make some good points but based upon everything I've read recently about the local real-estate market, there's a remarkable shortage of supply and pent up demand. I suspect there are more people in this town that can afford to buy a $500,000 condo than you think.

Old Posted Dec 6, 2017, 2:36 AM

Quote:
Hmmm. You make some good points but based upon everything I've read recently about the local real-estate market, there's a remarkable shortage of supply and pent up demand. I suspect there are more people in this town that can afford to buy a $500,000 condo than you think.
/sigh... my brain locked up when prices exceeded $300,000. How many years ago was that? lol

I used your strategy of typing a few key words. Found one interesting site about construction costs by EVstudio. Since that was for non highrise I found another site that looked promising; only problem I needed to update my Chrome Font Pack. Fortunately I did a search of that and yup, it was an invitation to Malware.

Old Posted Dec 6, 2017, 3:23 PM

Quote:
Basically we can get away with "500k is the 300k" because interest rates are so low, making the affordability limit higher. Once rates start to rise, it will become a big concern. At least in this boom round a majority of homeowners didn't take out 3 to 5 year ARMs, most I have talked to (anecdotal I know) are on fixed rate mortgages which seems to be the norm.

Again like someone said above, the current high home prices hurts those who are coming into Denver from lower priced areas a lot more than it hurts those who already live here and are already homeowners.
"The engineer is the key figure in the material progress of the world. It is his engineering that makes a reality of the potential value of science by translating scientific knowledge into tools, resources, energy and labor to bring them into the service of man. To make contributions of this kind the engineer requires the imagination to visualize the need of society and to appreciate what is possible as well as the technological and broad social age understanding to bring his vision to reality."

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Mountain West