HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Alberta & British Columbia > Vancouver > Transportation & Infrastructure

Old Posted Apr 1, 2011, 3:55 PM

Okay this is starting to get a little out of hand imo. 41st avenue bike lane?

http://www.vancitybuzz.com/2011/04/m...ave-bike-lane/

Old Posted Apr 1, 2011, 4:26 PM

Mayor Robertson is foolish.

Old Posted Apr 1, 2011, 4:35 PM

April foolish.

Old Posted Apr 1, 2011, 4:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DKaz View Post
Mayor Robertson is foolish.
I believe an April Fools Joke. Though its actually not that BAD. Take a look at the Google satellite view

http://maps.google.ca/maps?hl=en&ie=...04136&t=h&z=18

very wide with only a handful of parked cars = wasted space.

The busy oakridge area is 3 lanes wide. Why not make it the same both ways, 2 lane with parking and bike lanes.

But considering there is a route on 45th and 38th I don't see the need.

I guess it depends on what you are trying to achieve. If you want good cycling access to shopping areas you may want to consider dropping to 2 lanes with bike lanes.

In Coppenhagen they have routes on busy streets and local streets. They also have probably the best modal split in the world at
Copenhagen 6% walking 36% cycling 29% public transport 26% private auto.

If you want to work towards that sort of split you would work towards even better infrastructure like they have.

Old Posted Apr 1, 2011, 5:47 PM

Traffic lights will be synched to accommodate the flow of cyclists?

This is an interim solution until the UBC Skytrain can be built?

Those two ideas in the article guarantee this is a joke.

Old Posted Apr 1, 2011, 6:03 PM

lol. It screamed joke... but watch the joke be on us. :|

Midtown/Ridgeway is a great route, I used to use it regularly.

Old Posted Apr 1, 2011, 7:08 PM

Damn they got me and I knew it as april 1st!

Old Posted Apr 1, 2011, 7:27 PM

While the article is a joke there is something to be said about providing cycling access along commercial streets that do not have cycling facilities.

What is not a bad thing to consider is more paths like this:
http://urbanist.typepad.com/.a/6a00d...4233970c-popup
in commercial areas. It is a low speed path, basically extra sidewalk space that is reserved for cyclists. As Jared on the "Human Transit Blog" puts it in his article http://www.humantransit.org/2010/04/...last-mile.html we should design for a 60 year old woman with 2 shopping bags to be able to use it. Having cycle paths in commercial areas that are along busy streets is no joke. People should be able to easily cycle to commercial area for groceries and other things without having to cycle on a busy street or illegally bike on a sidewalk.

Old Posted Apr 1, 2011, 10:46 PM

Is this for real? Gregor want to build a bicycle tunnel under False Creek adjacent to Canada Line for up to $420 million.

Surely you could build an attached cycling bridge or stand alone bridge next to Cambie Bridge for a lot less.

http://www.canada.com/business/City+...954/story.html

Old Posted Apr 1, 2011, 11:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Overground View Post
Is this for real? Gregor want to build a bicycle tunnel under False Creek adjacent to Canada Line for up to $420 million.

Surely you could build an attached cycling bridge or stand alone bridge next to Cambie Bridge for a lot less.

http://www.canada.com/business/City+...954/story.html
Nice! another April Fools. The bike co-op or bike share would be nice though.

Old Posted Apr 2, 2011, 5:01 AM
Transit User

Metrotown-Downtown bike trip

I did my first Metrotown - Downtown bike run last week. Normally, I SkyTrain to work and bike for fun, but since the weather was nice I decided to give this a try. The route I used was roughly: Dunsmuir - Adanac - Lakewood - BC Parkway on the way to Metrotown and BC Parkway - Lakewood - Central Valley - Mosaic - Adanac - Dunsmuir on the was downtown. It took me 68 minutes going to Burnaby and 57 minutes going to Vancouver. Here are my thoughts on biking:

1) Greater Vancouver is one hilly place (I grew up and biked in a place that is flat as a pancake and much smaller so I biked around a lot as a teen). You don't even pay attention to this fact until you have to bike around I guess. But it is hilly. Going up Adanac to Lakewood is a challenge although I am in OK shape so I did not have to resort to pushing the bike.

2) The bike facilities are in general good on this route IMHO. The combination of bike dedicated streets (such as Lakewood), parkways and separated bike lanes makes it for a varied, safe and interesting ride. Old BC Parkway could use some upgrades and re-paving here and there.

3) The biggest source of frustration for me where slow ped/cycle street crossing lights on major streets (1st, 12th, Clark, etc). You literary lose 5-10 minutes waiting on lights unless you want to dash across (and possibly die). I really liked the one and only sky bridge over Kingsway that is bike accessible. It would be great to have more of these on major routes although I can imagine that they are very expensive.

4) I have not had any problems with the cars and drivers (which is to be expected on the traffic calmed route). Everybody was giving me a wide berth. So no complaints there.

5) If I lived in East Van (around Commercial for example) this would be a totally doable run on a daily basis. However, Metrotown to Downtown is 15 km and about an hour of biking plus showering, changing clothes, etc. So probably 90 minutes one way altogether vs. 35 minutes for walk + SkyTrain option. In other words, for me, biking commute could be an occasional way to get to work and add to my exercise routine, but I don't think that I can fit this on a regular basis in my schedule. Not to mention that I have no desire to do this when it rains.

Old Posted Apr 2, 2011, 6:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by WBC View Post
Going up Adanac to Lakewood is a challenge although I am in OK shape so I did not have to resort to pushing the bike.
I find Woodland to be less hilly than Lakewood. Actually in the evening when I'm returning from downtown I use Dunsmuir - Adanac - Clark Drive - Central Valley Greenway eastbound. Clark basically eliminates all of the big hills and when the traffic's quiet enough I find it a better way to go. I'd love to see a bike path of some sort on Clark between Adanac and the CVG.

Old Posted Apr 4, 2011, 4:41 PM

I was astounded on Sunday when I crossed the Burrard Bridge northbound. Six separate bicycles (not travelling together) were travelling northbound on the wrong side of the barrier, in the traffic rather than the bike lane. Only one bicycle was in the northbound bike lane on the whole bridge.

Old Posted Apr 4, 2011, 4:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zassk View Post
Six separate bicycles (not travelling together) were travelling northbound on the wrong side of the barrier, in the traffic rather than the bike lane.
Out-of-towners... ???

Old Posted Apr 4, 2011, 5:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zassk View Post
I was astounded on Sunday when I crossed the Burrard Bridge northbound. Six separate bicycles (not travelling together) were travelling northbound on the wrong side of the barrier, in the traffic rather than the bike lane. Only one bicycle was in the northbound bike lane on the whole bridge.
Is there any requirement that cyclists use the separated bike lane?

Old Posted Apr 4, 2011, 6:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by IanS View Post
Is there any requirement that cyclists use the separated bike lane?
Cyclists are governed by the Motor Vehicle Act and can operate anywhere a Motor Vehicle can unless specifically prohibited (such as by the signs on freeway on ramps). As far as I know there's no reason a bicycle must use a bike lane, although it's hard for me to understand why a cyclist wouldn't want to use one.

But if you miss the signage, the northbound lane looks like a sidewalk so I suppose someone unfamiliar with the area might think they need to ride on the road.

Old Posted Apr 4, 2011, 6:31 PM

If there is a bike lane and cyclists are opting to use the road instead, might as well take the lanes out.

Last edited by DKaz; Apr 4, 2011 at 6:59 PM.

Old Posted Apr 4, 2011, 6:41 PM
Reason and Freedom

Vancouver's bike lanes have received the Downfall treatment:

Video Link

Old Posted Apr 4, 2011, 7:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DKaz View Post
If there is a bike lane and cyclists are opting to use the road instead, might as well take the lanes out.

Old Posted Apr 6, 2011, 12:02 AM

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Alberta & British Columbia > Vancouver > Transportation & Infrastructure