HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Atlantic Provinces

Old Posted Aug 15, 2019, 1:17 PM

there is the old pets unlimited spot in the Fredericton mall (uptown centre), which would likely be around that size.

Also, looking at the spirit halloween site, it seems like they just reused last years info it mentiond 2018 in several spots, which may be why it says Fredericton instead of SJ.

Last edited by cl812; Aug 15, 2019 at 1:27 PM.

Old Posted Aug 15, 2019, 1:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cl812 View Post
there is the old pets unlimited spot in the Fredericton mall (uptown centre), which would likely be around that size.

Also, looking at the spirit halloween site, it seems like they just reused last years info it mentiond 2018 in several spots, which may be why it says Fredericton instead of SJ.
Yeah, the Pets Unlimited Space seems to be the only adequate available space for either Spirit or Christmas. If Pseudio cleared out a month earlier then Uptown could probably have snagged both.

As is, feels like Christmas Discounters is the more likely popup shop to come in. Spirit's website and posting feels like last year's recycling and doesn't match what we're seeing elsewhere. (Could be a bit challenging with the job posting I'm sure).

It is a bit of a shame that Spirit (probably) isn't coming back again this year; but it is also a good sign of sorts that our retail situation is so strong that they just don't have room to come back this year. Maybe signs like that will be an impetus to get the next phases of 2NC built and/or a new multiphase project going somewhere else. (Regent and Corbett are both basically full at the moment, as is Uptown and Smythe Centre).

Old Posted Aug 15, 2019, 1:44 PM

Yeah, would be good to see 2NC/smart centres develop a bit more, been very slow to progress, surely the new access from the Ring Rd will help. I think the issue is any new to market retailers want to be uptown on the south side. Whereas any new stores in that area of the northside will be secondary locations. Would also be good to see Walmart up there expand to an actual supercenter, maybe still not busy enough to justify.

Old Posted Aug 15, 2019, 4:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cl812 View Post
Yeah, would be good to see 2NC/smart centres develop a bit more, been very slow to progress, surely the new access from the Ring Rd will help. I think the issue is any new to market retailers want to be uptown on the south side. Whereas any new stores in that area of the northside will be secondary locations. Would also be good to see Walmart up there expand to an actual supercenter, maybe still not busy enough to justify.
Seeing that WalMart expand to a super center would be great. They would want to be sure the business justifies the investment though. But it would more than likely spur more development if they were to do it. More employees - maybe a developer would construct an apartment building?

Old Posted Aug 15, 2019, 4:56 PM

I think part of the challenge with 2NC is having St Marys on one side and the Ring Road on the other. Still St Mary's is doing well, and there's room for development up and down St Mary's street.

Remember too there is quite a bit of development (including a cluster of apartments) just a little down the road in Marysville. Otherwise I could see some apartments maybe eventually going up St Marys street. St Marys below 2NC seems to be shifting more and more to a commercial/office corridor, so I doubt we'll see many new apartment blocks there (at least not ones without a commercial first floor maybe)

I think if I were Smart Centres, I'd start building #3 and #4 soon so they have more slots available. #5 and #6 seem to be more suited to restaurant pads so they would be custom builds if/when they ever happen, but #3 and #4 are multitenant buildings and probably good to start construction now so they can recruit tenants to fill them in.

Thinking of that area in general, the other end of 2NC (Cliffe Street) seems prime for development as well. Personally I feel like that Marysville area is due for another grocery store, but that particular corner is probably too close to St Mary's Market. Instead, I could see a minimall area anchored with a Pharmacy working well in that corner. Jean Coutu's is already at the bottom of Cliffe, but Lawtons or Shoppers Drug Mart (most likely SDM since Lawtons is over in Brookside) would probably work really well there.

Old Posted Aug 15, 2019, 7:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Taeolas View Post
I think part of the challenge with 2NC is having St Marys on one side and the Ring Road on the other. Still St Mary's is doing well, and there's room for development up and down St Mary's street.

Remember too there is quite a bit of development (including a cluster of apartments) just a little down the road in Marysville. Otherwise I could see some apartments maybe eventually going up St Marys street. St Marys below 2NC seems to be shifting more and more to a commercial/office corridor, so I doubt we'll see many new apartment blocks there (at least not ones without a commercial first floor maybe)

I think if I were Smart Centres, I'd start building #3 and #4 soon so they have more slots available. #5 and #6 seem to be more suited to restaurant pads so they would be custom builds if/when they ever happen, but #3 and #4 are multitenant buildings and probably good to start construction now so they can recruit tenants to fill them in.

Thinking of that area in general, the other end of 2NC (Cliffe Street) seems prime for development as well. Personally I feel like that Marysville area is due for another grocery store, but that particular corner is probably too close to St Mary's Market. Instead, I could see a minimall area anchored with a Pharmacy working well in that corner. Jean Coutu's is already at the bottom of Cliffe, but Lawtons or Shoppers Drug Mart (most likely SDM since Lawtons is over in Brookside) would probably work really well there.
The thing about apartments in Fredericton is that the vacancy rate is so low. I was just looking on the CMHC website and vacancy rate has been steadily falling in Fredericton. It shows 2% for 2018 which is essentially full occupancy.

I like the idea of a mini mall in the Cliffe Street area. Shoppers would be a big draw. They stock a lot of groceries and always have that seasonal section.

Old Posted Aug 15, 2019, 7:46 PM

A few thoughts on that area.

2NC was built at a tough time for retail. As mentioned above, the only stores you're gonna get there are secondary locations that are targeting north side residents. They're not going to start building stuff without tenants.

The corner of 2NC/Cliffe already has a proposal for more strip mall development (ugh). As usual the typical Fredericton developers are behind the times. What this general area needs is a true mixed-use development but what they've proposed is a bunch of single-use strip mall buildings with tons of parking.

Building apartments in that area isn't a bad thing, but you won't be targeting minimum wage retail workers with brand new builds.

Old Posted Aug 15, 2019, 7:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jonny golden View Post
The thing about apartments in Fredericton is that the vacancy rate is so low. I was just looking on the CMHC website and vacancy rate has been steadily falling in Fredericton. It shows 2% for 2018 which is essentially full occupancy.
Construction costs have risen so the only way to make money in new rental properties is to go for the higher end. The people renting those properties want to be more centrally located to amenities which is why most of the new developments are downtown or along Main/Union. We're not seeing much being built in the outer neighbourhoods but at least the new luxury builds put downward pressure on the pricing of older units.

Old Posted Aug 15, 2019, 8:02 PM

That said, there is still a lot of work going on between Brookside and Royal Road, next to the Ring Road. Mostly they are duplexes and triplexes, but at least they aren't single homes for the most part.

There's another cluster of new development, including apartments, going on out towards Lincoln in the Skyline Acres and Southwood areas too. (I have a coworker who lives out that way and who is a bit uneasy about adding a few apartments to the area due to traffic and loss of parklands)

Old Posted Aug 15, 2019, 8:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by OliverD View Post
Construction costs have risen so the only way to make money in new rental properties is to go for the higher end. The people renting those properties want to be more centrally located to amenities which is why most of the new developments are downtown or along Main/Union. We're not seeing much being built in the outer neighbourhoods but at least the new luxury builds put downward pressure on the pricing of older units.
I agree with what you're saying. I know that in the Moncton area there are multiple high end buildings under construction. And they are mostly pre-leased even before they are built.

For example, in Riverview: Clayton Development is building 2 high end apartment buildings {Kensington Apartments} as part of a larger development. They haven't broken ground yet and they are already fully rented.

Old Posted Aug 15, 2019, 8:18 PM

The crane working on the 140 Carleton office building will be dismantled on Saturday. That will leave only the Regent St crane on the skyline. Gotta say I'm gonna miss it

Old Posted Aug 16, 2019, 5:18 PM

Noticed some activity at the vacant mall complex on Main adjacent to the BMO. They are now gutting several of the vacant units out. I assume for new tenants?

Last edited by Freddypop; Aug 16, 2019 at 6:09 PM.

Old Posted Aug 17, 2019, 2:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Freddypop View Post
Noticed some activity at the vacant mall complex on Main adjacent to the BMO. They are now gutting several of the vacant units out. I assume for new tenants?
Either they have new tenants lined up or they are trying to attract new ones. I wonder what type of tenant would have the best chance to succeed at this location?

Old Posted Aug 17, 2019, 6:12 PM

Quote:
Cyber Park progress on Knowledge Park Drive

The building is 80% pre-leased and they're in talks with other operations considering the move.

source:
https://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/new-b...ding-1.5248841

Old Posted Aug 18, 2019, 9:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jonny golden View Post
Either they have new tenants lined up or they are trying to attract new ones. I wonder what type of tenant would have the best chance to succeed at this location?
Looks like some significant work going on there. No idea who would go in there. Not a lot of parking.

Old Posted Aug 19, 2019, 1:21 AM

Quote:
Looks like some significant work going on there. No idea who would go in there. Not a lot of parking.
Maybe something totally unexpected?

Old Posted Aug 19, 2019, 7:27 PM

Quote:
The crane working on the 140 Carleton office building will be dismantled on Saturday. That will leave only the Regent St crane on the skyline. Gotta say I'm gonna miss it
I'm secretly hoping that Carleton stays a one-way street, maybe even extend the one-way status from Queen to Brunswick with a protected or shared bike lane on one side. But the street will probably remain partially blocked until construction work wraps up?

Old Posted Aug 19, 2019, 7:36 PM

The massage college in the mall at kings place is moving to UNB. This move leaves that entire section with vacant storefront.

Old Posted Aug 19, 2019, 7:42 PM

Quote:
Looks like they are building a patio or something along the front of the easternmost portion of the building.

Old Posted Aug 19, 2019, 8:36 PM

Quote:
Looks like they are building a patio or something along the front of the easternmost portion of the building.
So restaurant/bar maybe?

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Atlantic Provinces