HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Southwest

Old Posted Dec 26, 2018, 5:15 PM

Ot - spam

Mods - feel free to delete this post afterwards but anyone else having any issues with pop-ups/spam with the mobile version of this site? I'm using iPhone/Safari combo and within seconds of navigating to this site, pop-ups/spam takes over and redirects me other sites. This is the only site I have this issue with it so I don't think it's my phone.

It's so bad that I had to use desktop to create this post. Hoping this can be fixed.

Last edited by ASU Diablo; Dec 26, 2018 at 5:27 PM.

Old Posted Dec 26, 2018, 5:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ASU Diablo View Post
Mods - feel free to delete this ad afterwards but anyone else having any issues with pop-ups/spam with the mobile version of this site? I'm using iPhone/Safari combo and within seconds of navigating to this site, pop-ups/spam takes over and redirects me other sites. This is the only site I have this issue with it so I don't think it's my phone.

It's so bad that I had to use desktop to create this post. Hoping this can be fixed.
Yes I can hardly use this site on my phone.

Old Posted Dec 26, 2018, 7:25 PM

Yes. The only thing that sometimes works is close your browser, then go to settings and clear your safari history. Even then it comes back almost instantly. I think it has to do with the 3rd party ad network these use.

Old Posted Dec 26, 2018, 7:54 PM
Skyriser

I set up an adblocker on my iphone a while ago. I also have ublock origin on chrome.

This site is so out of date it's become weaponized, believe me have I raised issue with this in the moderators' forum.

Old Posted Dec 26, 2018, 8:09 PM

I use Norton Ad Blocker on my iPhone and it stopped all the redirects. Free in the App Store.

Old Posted Dec 26, 2018, 8:16 PM

I keep dreaming that somebody like Facebook would buy the site since the current ownership is obviously cash constrained.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/SkyscraperPage
Quote:
The site is owned by Skyscraper Source Media, a supplier of skyscraper diagrams for the publication, marketing, and display industries, and is a publisher of illustrated skyscraper diagram poster products.[6] SkyscraperPage.com drawings have appeared in National Geographic's website, Wired, Condé Nast, The Globe and Mail Report on Business Magazine.[4] They are based in Victoria, British Columbia.[7]
I live-stream sporting events from Reddit sources which have in the past been dicey. But Reddit is now able to prescreen sites for security issues. An adblocker is always advised and I too use ublock original on Chrome.

Quote:
Originally Posted by vwwolfe View Post
I use Norton Ad Blocker on my iPhone and it stopped all the redirects. Free in the App Store.
Good advice.

Old Posted Dec 26, 2018, 8:50 PM

Yes, it's awful. Almost unusable on my iPhone. I actually thought I had something on my phone so I wiped it yesterday - didn't work.

The only way to stop this is by disabling javascript. However, then other sites won't work properly.

To disable Javascript in an iPhone go to: Settings/Safari/Advanced/Javascript (turn it off).

Old Posted Dec 26, 2018, 8:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TakeFive View Post
I keep dreaming that somebody like Facebook would buy the site since the current ownership is obviously cash constrained.
I'd rather have popups than use facebook.

Old Posted Dec 26, 2018, 9:18 PM
Skyriser

The owner just needs to remove his head from his posterior. I got this site out of crashing under its own weight, now it's just rotting away. Maddening.

Old Posted Dec 26, 2018, 9:24 PM
Modulator

I post 75% of my post from my phone and have had few if any problems with popups. My java is enabled...still no issues. Not sure what you guys are downloading

Old Posted Dec 26, 2018, 11:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nickw252 View Post
I'd rather have popups than use facebook.
Actually I never use Facebook but SCF is antiquated and needs a Big Brother that has the capacity to reformat and run a modern day site. Maybe Vox Media; maybe Bloomberg; anybody that could secure this site's future.

I know: the employees of Juul (actually PAX Labs) should consider this their pet project for 2019. They all will receive an average $1.3 million bonus from $2 billion bonus pool following Altria buying 35% of the company for $12.8 billion. Since they're HQ'd in San Francisco combusean could set up a meeting and see what they think?

Old Posted Dec 27, 2018, 2:31 AM
Skyriser

Why would these companies buy SSP again? Goofs.

Old Posted Dec 27, 2018, 2:59 AM

I usually don't go on site with my phone but last couple days I have and every time that Amazon prize thing comes up!

Old Posted Dec 27, 2018, 3:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by combusean View Post
Why would these companies buy SSP again? Goofs.
Just to help the old lady get to the other side of the street? That's why I started with Facebook; somebody that could benefit from doing something nice.

How many have noticed how difficult it can now be to do a 'google search'? If it's not something mainstream it's become much harder to nearly impossible. Even trying to utilize advanced search makes little difference. Clicking to next page often brings up topics related to where I've been but nothing to do with my current search. Since I'm not the geekiest I did a search for "Google now sucks" and there is plenty of feedback for that including more geeky explanations.

The internet is fast becoming a rich man's game which sadly is the antithesis of where it started. A lot of content previously very searchable is now only available if you know the name of the site.

Old Posted Dec 27, 2018, 3:43 PM

Everyone is wondering why this site is slowly dying, I honestly think this is a big reason. Most of the time I can only check this site with my phone and it is becoming increasingly frustrating to even come on here anymore. There are times I even wonder if I'm even going to miss this site much if I just stop coming altogether. Its gotten bad.

Old Posted Dec 27, 2018, 3:58 PM
Modulator

Is Dylan even involved with this site anymore? It's been a long time since I've chatted with him. If not, who's running SSP now?

Old Posted Dec 27, 2018, 11:12 PM

Honestly, I’d make another one if people would come over. It’s easy enough. Doesn’t cost much at all. Could probably get most of the crowd over just my marketing it as a pop up/spam free alternative. Who gives a rip about the diagrams.

Old Posted Dec 28, 2018, 2:31 PM
Modulator

Quote:
Originally Posted by PHXFlyer11 View Post
Honestly, I’d make another one if people would come over. It’s easy enough. Doesn’t cost much at all. Could probably get most of the crowd over just my marketing it as a pop up/spam free alternative. Who gives a rip about the diagrams.
Quite a few actually. These diagrams have been featured in a lot of various publications and there are over 200 illustrators that make these diagrams. Making diagrams have helped me learn the heights, floor counts, types of façade, colors, etc.. of hundreds of Skyscrapers...many of which I have never even seen in real life and probably never will. And yet, I know plenty about them just from making a diagram. You would be surprised what you can learn by making them. My only regret is I don't have time to make diagrams anymore. But it was always a fun hobby and also sharpened up my Photoshop skills many years ago.

Old Posted Jun 20, 2019, 1:16 AM

Wow, this site is almost entirely unusable now. Previously was redirected to spam sites on mobile but now it's happening on desktop as well. Long live SSP.

Old Posted Jun 20, 2019, 1:37 AM

No shit it’s getting out of hand. How do we stop this mess?

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Southwest