HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Alberta & British Columbia > Vancouver > Business & the Economy

Old Posted Aug 14, 2010, 4:16 AM

last I had heard was it was going to be a Joeys or an Earls

Old Posted Aug 17, 2010, 10:09 PM

Do we have a thread or any good info on the extent of the Pacific Centre expansion? I read somewhere recently that they are planning to add street front retail along both north and south sides of Georgia. I am aware about the replacement of the rotunda/atrium.

At what stage is this at, proposed, approved, u/c etc? And how many shops are they planning to add?

I was also reading about the opening of the Calgary Chinook Cetnre expansion in September 2010. There are claims that this expansion will make it #3 largest mall in Canada. I'm pretty sure Metrotown in Burnaby is in the top 3 right now, so that would make Chinook comparable to Metrotown. That's pretty amazing actually. Also amazing in the fact that they are renovating their mall downtown... two competing malls so close to each other -- one downtown, and one just outside downtown.

Old Posted Aug 18, 2010, 2:57 AM
Vancouverite

Metrotown is the third biggest mall in Canada...
Chinook Centre after the expansion will not even make it as big as pacific centre.
Chinook Centre = 1,175,000 SQ
Pacific Centre = 1,390,000
Metrotown Centre = 1,783,005 SQ

Old Posted Aug 18, 2010, 5:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ozonemania View Post
Do we have a thread or any good info on the extent of the Pacific Centre expansion? I read somewhere recently that they are planning to add street front retail along both north and south sides of Georgia. I am aware about the replacement of the rotunda/atrium.

At what stage is this at, proposed, approved, u/c etc? And how many shops are they planning to add?

I was also reading about the opening of the Calgary Chinook Cetnre expansion in September 2010. There are claims that this expansion will make it #3 largest mall in Canada. I'm pretty sure Metrotown in Burnaby is in the top 3 right now, so that would make Chinook comparable to Metrotown. That's pretty amazing actually. Also amazing in the fact that they are renovating their mall downtown... two competing malls so close to each other -- one downtown, and one just outside downtown.
Yes Pac Centre will be expanding, in both the places you mentioned. Dont know where you read that as it is not public knowledge, but neither will be large additions. They will add very key new retail to the mall however, as it will be fronting W Georgia and will therefore be premier space and command high rents and top end retailers. Amount of shops depends on what retailers end up signing on and how much space they desire. Likely the space will be leased out to just a couple high end retailers who will take most of the space.

The list of retailers involved is still confidential information, but plans are well developed, and with regards to the north side rotunda, are already in progress, as the current work on the lobby of the IBM building can be seen as the innital stage of the expansion.

And yes as Spike noted, Chinook will be nowhere near the size of Metrotown, even after the large renovation. The reno is adding about 183,000 of incremental square footage, so it is still much smaller than Metrotown, which until just very recently was the largest mall in the country behind West Ed. I dont expect to see any major additions to metrotown or Chinook any time soon, but expect small piecemeal additions to continue.

Old Posted Aug 18, 2010, 5:35 AM

Office Depot on broadway is having a closing out sale - didn't go inside but the store is shutting down

and the for lease sign says its LEASED already - anyone know who it will be? maybe something like bed bath and beyond?

Old Posted Aug 18, 2010, 8:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LeftCoaster View Post
Yes Pac Centre will be expanding, in both the places you mentioned. Dont know where you read that as it is not public knowledge, but neither will be large additions. They will add very key new retail to the mall however, as it will be fronting W Georgia and will therefore be premier space and command high rents and top end retailers. Amount of shops depends on what retailers end up signing on and how much space they desire. Likely the space will be leased out to just a couple high end retailers who will take most of the space.

The list of retailers involved is still confidential information, but plans are well developed, and with regards to the north side rotunda, are already in progress, as the current work on the lobby of the IBM building can be seen as the innital stage of the expansion.

And yes as Spike noted, Chinook will be nowhere near the size of Metrotown, even after the large renovation. The reno is adding about 183,000 of incremental square footage, so it is still much smaller than Metrotown, which until just very recently was the largest mall in the country behind West Ed. I dont expect to see any major additions to metrotown or Chinook any time soon, but expect small piecemeal additions to continue.
LC, this is the sort of information I was hoping for, thanks very much for your insight. It's nice to see Cadillac-Fairview investing here instead of just Chinook (I was under the impression that they ran both operations?). Looking forward to see what will go into these spaces.

I like the fact that we are seeing retail developments here on Georgia, and seeing developments along Robson, Granville, Water and Alberni. I think the high scale retail area envisioned for Downtown North around Sinclair Centre would be nice too but doesn't look like it has worked out.

As for the Chinook #3 largest figure, I saw that stat reported in some Calgary news media. I can't find the link but the reporter had 'fast facts' at the end of the article stating that with the expansion it would be #3.

Thanks again and I appreciation your discretion.

Old Posted Aug 18, 2010, 9:31 AM

Quote:
LC, this is the sort of information I was hoping for, thanks very much for your insight. It's nice to see Cadillac-Fairview investing here instead of just Chinook (I was under the impression that they ran both operations?). Looking forward to see what will go into these spaces.

I like the fact that we are seeing retail developments here on Georgia, and seeing developments along Robson, Granville, Water and Alberni. I think the high scale retail area envisioned for Downtown North around Sinclair Centre would be nice too but doesn't look like it has worked out.

As for the Chinook #3 largest figure, I saw that stat reported in some Calgary news media. I can't find the link but the reporter had 'fast facts' at the end of the article stating that with the expansion it would be #3.

Thanks again and I appreciation your discretion.
if you go way back in this thread you will see renderings and discussion of the expansion that was at one point int time (a few years ago) supposed to see the expansion done before the olympics and than the recession hit or something like that

Old Posted Aug 18, 2010, 12:07 PM
Reason and Freedom

Quote:
Originally Posted by SpongeG View Post
if you go way back in this thread you will see renderings and discussion of the expansion that was at one point int time (a few years ago) supposed to see the expansion done before the olympics and than the recession hit or something like that
Actually, I think the renderings were posted under a different topic.

Old Posted Aug 18, 2010, 7:02 PM

Regardless of where they are, the plans have changed substantially since the renderings featuring a flagship abercrombie were posted.

As of today there is nothing final, as construction will not start until next year, but the current working drawings are quite different than what was posted. Similar size but much different, more clean and crisp design.

Old Posted Aug 18, 2010, 9:40 PM
Vancouverite

Quote:
Originally Posted by LeftCoaster View Post
Regardless of where they are, the plans have changed substantially since the renderings featuring a flagship abercrombie were posted.

As of today there is nothing final, as construction will not start until next year, but the current working drawings are quite different than what was posted. Similar size but much different, more clean and crisp design.
Are they still hoping for the roof top patio connectedto the four seasons
Quote:
I was just in Eaton Centre and Cadillac Fairview is also doing renovations there aswell, they're very focused on their malls recently.

Old Posted Aug 20, 2010, 5:30 AM

Noticed in the Georgia Straight -

Koolhaus (Gastown) is bankrupt and closing out -40% off

Old Posted Aug 20, 2010, 8:34 AM

not surprised they are so overpriced for mostly knockoffs

last few times i went in there the sales guy at the desk didn't even say hello or once bother anyone in the store - didn't ask if anyone needed anything just sat there with his screen

Old Posted Aug 20, 2010, 11:45 PM

Victoria's Secret

There was talk of Victoria's Secret opening in Vancouver recently here.

This doesn't seem to be on their announced schedule as yet.

But they do have 4 locations ready to open in Canada. If you want to know where and when, you'll have to suffer through to the end of this video, where it's all listed...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qlagh...layer_embedded

Video Link

Last edited by djh; Aug 21, 2010 at 5:10 AM.

Old Posted Aug 21, 2010, 4:48 AM

yeah mostly ontario and i think montreal

book warehouse on west 4th has shut down and a new book store called sitka books is opening in that spot

Old Posted Aug 22, 2010, 12:58 AM

2 new restaurants on the way

Chinese eatery, champagne and vodka lounge in the works

By Marke Andrews, Vancouver Sun August 21, 2010

Peter Girges, formerly of the Glowbal Group of Restaurants, will launch two new Vancouver nightspots this fall. In the meantime, he's busy doing a makeover of the dining and drinking areas at Yaletown's Opus Hotel.

Girges, 31, spearheads RocksGlass Concepts Ltd., which consists of six young movers and shakers on the Vancouver scene.

The company is building two new Yaletown destinations. Chinois, located next to The Keg on Mainland in Yaletown, will be a Chinese restaurant that seats 110 people inside, and another 50 outside.

The renovation merges four previous units; when Chinois opens in late September or October, it will occupy 4,400 square feet.

"The idea behind Chinois is not to mess with the traditional Chinese dishes we grew up with -- sweet and sour pork and Peking duck and fried noodles and Dim Sum -- but put it in a really good environment, a modern room," said Girges.

Pierre's, located on Hamilton Street, will be a champagne and vodka lounge serving food that complements the bar offerings. Like Chinois, Pierre's will open in early autumn.

In addition to the two new sites, RocksGlass will team with Opus Hotel president and CEO John Evans to help manage the hotel's three eating-and-drinking areas, Elixir Bistro, Cafe O and the Opus Bar. The three rooms close after Saturday night for six days, reopening Aug. 27.

Read more: http://www.vancouversun.com/life/res...#ixzz0xIAMkJDm

Old Posted Aug 22, 2010, 1:19 AM

Pop-up retailing takes a new direction

BY KAREN GRAM, VANCOUVER SUN AUGUST 17, 2010

A Vancouver retailer is taking the pop-up store phenomenon to a whole new level, offering brands the exclusive use of a Gastown storefront for six-month stints.

Pop-ups have helped brands get exposure and build excitement in consumers by their temporary nature, but Eric Dickstein, co-founder of Times Profile Shop, says pop-ups can be too temporary and limiting.

The collaboration he offers will allow the brands to showcase their entire collection in the way the brands have envisioned it.

Then, six months later, the shop, at 231 Cambie, will completely redecorate and retrain to articulate the philosophy and branding message of a new product.

"We are like the captains of the ship, but the route has been given to us [by the brand]," he says.

The store is scheduled to open today, showcasing Montreal's Naked and Famous Denim.

Dickstein, who co-owns dutil denim and has been a retailer for many years, says he and his partner hope to attract the producers of all kinds of products -- smart phones, beverage companies, electric cars, fashion and anything else he and his partner feel passionate about.

Dickstein says it hasn't been done before, and the concept has the potential to change the way marketing is conducted.

"I actually think this could be massive," he says, adding he'd like to open similar shops in five major cities.

"Can you imagine the exposure for a company that is on the cusp of making it big and now they can be in five cities?"

Already, Times Profile Shop has contracts lined up for the next three years including Earnest Sewn, a sophisticated clothing line, and Paul Smith Eyewear.

Read more: http://www.vancouversun.com/technolo...#ixzz0xIFdSYZU

Old Posted Aug 23, 2010, 8:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SpongeG View Post
... Chinois, located next to The Keg on Mainland in Yaletown
Yeah, there's a hoarding up on Mainland around what used to be the "Mantique" store.

Old Posted Aug 24, 2010, 5:32 PM
ON3P Skis

Didn't Loblaws take down the Office Depot space on Broadway? I thought I heard or read that somewhere.

Old Posted Aug 24, 2010, 7:45 PM

Just what Broadway & Cambie needs - another supermarket!
But it's true that there is no Loblaws presence in the area - Extra Foods?

Old Posted Aug 24, 2010, 11:25 PM
testify

^ wow, parking/traffic back-up could get quite a lot worse, in that event.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Alberta & British Columbia > Vancouver > Business & the Economy