HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Pacific West > Sacramento Area

Old Posted May 25, 2007, 2:11 PM
silly slackergeek

Quote:
Originally Posted by brandon12 View Post
^I'm pretty sure Mexico is the only country that actually has a regular consulate in Sacramento. A few other countries may have Vice Consulars (or whatever they're called) that live in the area and if you're a foreign national and ever need their help in an emergency, you can call them and they will help you in the immediate short term, but you will probably eventually have to make your way to SF or LA for the Consulate or Embassy. At least that was the case 3 or 4 years ago when my wife was a diplomate at the British Consulate in SF (I really just like saying that because it sounds sexy).

Yeah,that could be. I know in San Diego some of the Counsulars actually operate out of there home or office. It's just an idea guys...

Old Posted May 25, 2007, 8:40 PM
Megalonorcal 11M~

How about an outdoor toilet that the homeless can use. nothing is worse than smelling urine walking on K

Old Posted May 25, 2007, 8:56 PM

Well that's a good idea but I wouldn't want to see toilets right on the mall either.

One way to handle the probelm is just to require businesses on and around the mall to keep their toilets open to the public like they do in some other cities. I know its a hassle to keep them clean but if the alternative is to have someone pee in your doorway what's worse? But that really won't solve the problem because the homeless and sh't faced mostly pee on the streets at night when everythings closed.

How about creating a mini-police station (koban) & light-rail "storefront station" with a self-cleaning restroom? The city could easily take one of those hard-to-rent spaces and remodel it nicely.

Last edited by ozone; May 25, 2007 at 9:25 PM.

Old Posted May 25, 2007, 11:24 PM

NOW FOR THE BIG QUESTION?
When will the Greyhound Bus Station, and liquor store be moved to really help clean up the area?

Old Posted May 26, 2007, 5:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deno View Post
NOW FOR THE BIG QUESTION?
When will the Greyhound Bus Station, and liquor store be moved to really help clean up the area?
At the pace things seem to happen around here I would say close to the same time hell begins to frost over or monkeys start flying out of our nether regions. Take your pick.

Old Posted May 26, 2007, 9:31 AM

Leave it to Sacramentians to always see the negative. To some people the glass is always half empty. No comments on the actual K Street Plan? I agree that moving the bus station and closing liquor stores and SRO's would remove certain 'unwanted elements' from the area but I don't think K Street's revival is completely contingent on it. It not as easy as saying "just get rid of them". It takes people with a different vision coming in and investing. I think that once these new shops, restaurants, office lofts, condos go up and the street is redone right we'll see the middle-to upper market begin to take care of some of these 'down market' business as people begin to see that money can be made on K Street and start replacing them with something more desirable.

Last edited by ozone; May 26, 2007 at 10:15 AM.

Old Posted May 26, 2007, 5:02 PM
my posse's on broadway

you don't just eliminate SRO's anymore. sacramento requires that each room that would be removed, be replaced by a minimum of 1/1. until the city or some other organization kicks in some sort of huge subsidy to assist a prospective developer in that task, they'll remain exactly where they are.

Old Posted May 26, 2007, 6:19 PM

The city has made 20M available to anyone that will build "efficiently units"

The only ones I know of in the works right now are ones by CADA at 16th and N, but who knows when or how many.

Old Posted May 26, 2007, 6:49 PM

I understand that. But something must be done.

Old Posted May 26, 2007, 7:26 PM

Oh I agree...I have no idea who/how is will get done though. I can't imagine that 20M will get a ton of units built.

Old Posted May 26, 2007, 8:30 PM
my posse's on broadway

maybe i'm screwing up the math here, but if you can build at $100 per square foot, for units at 400 sq. ft, with $20 million you could build 500 units. that's pretty substantial.

that figure would be excluding land costs... but CADA already owns the land in their cases, so why no takers yet?

Old Posted May 26, 2007, 10:26 PM

Single-room-occupancy hotels sprang up in the early part of the century to house transient workers. But over time, most turned into slum housing for alcoholics, drug abusers and the mentally ill.

I understand that SRO's are supported in order to keep people from becoming homeless. However, the negative impact of so many terminally anti-social people living in slum hotels (SRO) in the heart of the city is intolerable. Its basic economics. Downtown Sacramento has more than its share of SRO’s and the concentration of anti-social “undesirables” scares off those with money to spend and destroys the drive for a revitalized downtown.

The homeless/low-income housing activists support inclusionary zoning laws which I think are fundamentally unfair to those who are not unemployable or anti-social. Most SRO's do not provide open and affordable housing to general public. They are mostly for those who are on government assistance or for those who find it hard to live elsewhere because of their criminal past or substance abuse problems.

The city’s “inclusionary” policy which promises to maintain the number of single-room-occupancy hotel rooms is basically unfair to the working poor or those with moderate incomes –it’s actually an exclusionary and unfair housing policy because it excludes them from downtown residency.

To make our downtown truly inclusive and diverse I think we need change the current policy to encourage single room occupancy hotels to convert to mixed-income, semi-market-rate housing. Maybe they could receive low-interest loans to make improvements -upgrading their property to market-rate standards. A percentage (say 10%-30%) would be required to remain single-room-occupancy units (or efficiencies) and rest would be converted to rent-stabilized ‘workforce” units.

Mitigation for the units lost could be spread over the entire city through efficiency units which are subsided by the city as sugit mentioned.

Last edited by ozone; May 27, 2007 at 2:00 AM.

Old Posted May 27, 2007, 2:50 PM

^great points Ozone.

Old Posted May 27, 2007, 4:25 PM
them bones

Quote:
Originally Posted by TowerDistrict View Post
maybe i'm screwing up the math here, but if you can build at $100 per square foot, for units at 400 sq. ft, with $20 million you could build 500 units. that's pretty substantial.

that figure would be excluding land costs... but CADA already owns the land in their cases, so why no takers yet?
You'd be damn lucky to build at $250/SF (excluding land costs). Now you're down to 200 units...not so profitable...

Old Posted May 27, 2007, 4:35 PM
my posse's on broadway

Quote:
Originally Posted by plinko View Post
You'd be damn lucky to build at $250/SF (excluding land costs). Now you're down to 200 units...not so profitable...
for a single room occupancy type of building? with shared facilities?

I thought i was being generous... but i'm always just guessing

Old Posted May 29, 2007, 1:48 PM
“The Big EasyChair”

Quote:
Originally Posted by sugit View Post
"If designs are approved, Staff will return for a construction document contract award and anticipates construction will begin by early 2008, with completion by late 2008"

Here are a few renderings, click the above links for more.

Beautiful, I really think the water feature is a good idea.

Sugit, what is the legal delay over in regards to the 700 & 800 block makeover? Is this a Moe Mohanna delay??

Old Posted May 29, 2007, 4:02 PM

I can just see DTP getting the usual chain stores and department stores, but having K Street as the upscale and luxury area next to DTP that is outside, with stores that are not common to the Sacramento area... oh well!

Old Posted May 29, 2007, 4:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by urban_encounter View Post
Sugit, what is the legal delay over in regards to the 700 & 800 block makeover? Is this a Moe Mohanna delay??
I have no clue. I haven't been able to get much more info than its going to take a while.

Also, the item has been moved up from 7pm to 2pm today. You can view it from the city website.

Old Posted May 30, 2007, 3:34 AM
“The Big EasyChair”

Council OKs money for upgrading part of K Street Mall
By Terri Hardy - Bee Staff Writer
Published 7:32 pm PDT Tuesday, May 29, 2007

A portion of struggling K Street Mall will get some much-needed sprucing up under a $4 million beautification plan approved Tuesday by the Sacramento City Council.

Under the plan, designers will come up with a plan to transform K Street from Seventh to 12th with new paving, better lighting, street furniture and plantings. Money only exists now to beautify the 700 block of K Street and to pave St. Rose of Lima park to allow public events and seating.

A controversial part of the beautification plan approved by the council calls for the relocation of the light-rail station at St. Rose of Lima park to Seventh Street, between K and L streets.

The city, backed by the Downtown Sacramento Partnership, Regional Transit, and the police department pushed for the relocation, saying it will spur economic development and make the area safer

Old Posted May 30, 2007, 3:33 PM
Kodachrome

I was always under the impression that the station would move up to
the 800 block section... I like this new location

K Street plan takes heat, gets OK
By Terri Hardy - Bee Staff Writer
Wednesday, May 30, 2007

A portion of struggling K Street Mall will get some much-needed sprucing up under a $4 million beautification plan approved Tuesday by the Sacramento City Council.

Under the plan, designers will come up with a plan to transform K Street from Seventh to 12th streets with new paving, better lighting, street furniture and plantings. Money exists now only to beautify the 700 block of K Street and to pave St. Rose of Lima Park to allow public events and seating.

A controversial part of the beautification plan approved by the council calls for the relocation of the light-rail station at St. Rose of Lima Park to Seventh Street, between K and L streets.

The city, backed by the Downtown Sacramento Partnership, Regional Transit and the Police Department, pushed for the relocation, saying it will spur economic development and make the area safer.

Beverly Scott, RT's top executive, said it will add a needed outgoing station for the Gold Line.

"I believe this is a beginning for near-term improvements that will improve functionality and benefit transit riders," she said.

But members of various transit rider groups and others criticized the station relocation, calling it unnecessary. "We don't need it, we don't need to spend the money," said Alan Miller, president of the Train Riders Association of California.

Miller said the move will make it more inconvenient for riders, who will have to walk around the block to reach the station.

Other critics said it would cause more traffic congestion, could be unsafe and would exacerbate safety worries by putting the station closer to a liquor store and the Greyhound bus station.

Keith Kaplan, a representative of Westfield Corp., owners of the Downtown Plaza, said "we have significant reservations about relocating the RT platform."

Mayor Heather Fargo said she was frustrated that the conversation about the beautification plan, which she believed was an exciting development for downtown, focused almost solely on the station relocation.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Pacific West > Sacramento Area