HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Atlantic Provinces > Halifax > Suburbs

Old Posted Apr 2, 2008, 2:11 PM

[Dartmouth] RCMP Headquarters | ? m | 5 fl | Completed

FYI - from the Burnside News (wasn't sure where to post).

• The new RCMP headquarters planned for Burnside is making baby steps toward breaking ground. The project was first announced five years ago after the federal government acquired the lot on the then “soon to be built” Wright Avenue Extension. The road was completed some time ago and, in fact, has now been extended all the way down to Highway 118 (soon to be opened to traffic), but still no RCMP headquarters. However, the RCMP recently confirmed it plans to release tenders on the project over the next few months and is only awaiting final budget approval from Ottawa before proceeding. The new building will be five storeys, occupy 16 acres of land and offer 240,000 square feet of floor space. Current civic addressing will make it 80 Garland Avenue. The building is expected to be built to LEED (Leadership in Environmental Engineering and Design) standards and could bring more than 500 new people into Burnside each day.

Old Posted Apr 3, 2008, 5:28 PM
Closed account

What will happen with the existing headquarters?

Old Posted Apr 3, 2008, 10:51 PM

Where is the existing HQ?

Old Posted Apr 3, 2008, 11:57 PM

At the corner of Oxford and Bayers Rd.

Old Posted Apr 4, 2008, 1:10 AM

Curently its a five or six storey brick building at Bayers and Oxford. I was by there recently and noticed they demolished the gas station across the street, anyone know if they're building something there?

Old Posted Apr 4, 2008, 1:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bedford_DJ View Post
Curently its a five or six storey brick building at Bayers and Oxford. I was by there recently and noticed they demolished the gas station across the street, anyone know if they're building something there?

May eventually become residential.

RCMP current HQ is rumored to turn into office space once they take home in their new facility.

Old Posted Apr 4, 2008, 1:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sdm View Post

RCMP current HQ is rumored to turn into office space once they take home in their new facility.
Yah i thought i would be residental. As long as its not a gas station I'm happy.

Old Posted Apr 4, 2008, 10:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bedford_DJ View Post
Yah i thought i would be residental. As long as its not a gas station I'm happy.
true, however i find a lack of stations within halifax's core. Would be nice to see a few newer stations

Old Posted Apr 4, 2008, 1:19 PM
Closed account

I agree there is maybe not a need, but a use for more gas stations on the peninsula. However, I wouldn't want to see another one on that site as there is already one two blocks down the street from that corner at Bayers&Connaught and another in the other direction on Young&Robie.

Old Posted Apr 5, 2008, 5:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sdm View Post

The old RCMP HQ, like all surplus federal property, first has to be offered to other federal departments/agencies, then to the province and then to the municipality. Only if none of the three are interested can it be sold to private interests. A building of this size, however, would have an excellent chance of going to Canada Lands to be redeveloped. In any case, this will all be a while yet since there is nothing on the ground over in Burnside and any disposal process at the old HQ would take a while to complete because of all the federal due diligence.

Old Posted Apr 25, 2008, 3:46 PM

Out in todays paper is a notice to developers that an expression of interest is coming to build & manage a new facility for the RCMP at 80 Garland Ave, in the City of Lakes Business Park Dartmouth.

Project is 24,000 Gross metres, 375 parking stalls, 6.5 hectares of land.

I believe this is also a LEED project.

Old Posted Apr 2, 2009, 11:17 AM

Plan for new $60m RCMP headquarters stalls

By BILL POWER Business Reporter
Thu. Apr 2 - 5:49 AM
A plan to build an estimated $60-million RCMP headquarters at Burnside Park has stumbled at the starting gate.

The project manager for the federal government project said Wednesday the effort to find a developer to build, operate and maintain the planned five-storey structure through a 25-year lease-back arrangement with Ottawa has failed.

"The procurement process has concluded unsatisfactorily," said Bill Fioratos, with Public Works and Government ServicesCanada in Halifax.

He said Ottawa’s inability to find a developer who could tackle the project "within the parameters of the established budget" means a hoped-for spring 2009 construction start will be missed.

But the project manager said there is still a possibility construction will begin later this year and the anticipated occupancy date of January 2012 will be met. "As things stand now, the project and the options for moving it forward are under review."

Word of the foundering of the project spread fast among the hundreds of police and civilian staffers working at the RCMP’s H Division headquarters on Oxford Street in Halifax.

Many of the H Division staff work out at least seven other locations around the Halifax area.

"Obviously, everybody associated with the project is disappointed it will not immediately move forward," said Mr. Fioratos.

About 6.5 hectares of land for the new headquarters was cleared last summer near Burnside Park and the Dartmouth Crossing shopping area alongside Highway 118.

The new building, estimated at about 25,000 square metres, would dwarf the existing provincial RCMP headquarters on Oxford Street and provide a state-of-the art workplace for about 500 members of the RCMP and support staff.

A procurement process that promised a spring 2009 construction start began last year and three local developers were shortlisted to make final submissions on or before Feb. 25.

Public Works and Government Services Canada officials in Halifax declared the process unsuccessful two days after reviewing the proposals.

Mr. Fioratos said contents of the submissions are confidential. He confirmed one bid met all the specifications but was beyond the budget, while two of the bids did not meet all the requirements.

The project has been on the drawing board five years and Ottawa has not given it an exact price tag, which is standard procedure. The most recent report on major projects published by the Atlantic Provinces Economic Council estimates the complex would cost about $60 million.

According to the council, the plan to provide a new building to allow the RCMP to centralize operations relating to drug enforcement, commercial crime and other services, had a "high probability" of moving forward in 2009

Old Posted Apr 2, 2009, 12:18 PM

I bet people can't get the money to finance this project as the real problem here.

Old Posted Apr 23, 2010, 12:02 PM
Honored Member

The federal Public Works Department has called for new tenders on the RCMP headquarters in Burnside - 240,000 square feet on 5 floors. Its good to see the RCMP and federal government spending money in the Halifax area. (source allnovascotia.com)

Old Posted Jun 10, 2010, 1:12 AM
Honored Member

Quote:
hfxtradesman - posted June 8 2010

Shovels should also be in the ground soon for the new R.C.M.P. station. If anybody was keeping up one this one.
(Reposted from General Updates) Has the contract been awarded for this one?

Old Posted Jun 10, 2010, 3:03 AM

PCL got the low bid, still has to be approved.

Old Posted Jun 12, 2010, 2:13 AM

Finally figured out which lot this is going on; Its on the west-side of Garland Avenue bordering on Burnside Drive.

The street is going to be completed this summer so construction like mentioned previously in this thread should start soon.

Old Posted Jul 10, 2010, 6:07 PM

I believe this is the lot. There's no sign of building construction yet. The utilities are already installed on site;

BTW just my opinion but I think the reasons why this site was chosen might have to do with the reputation of nearby Spectacle Lake ...

Old Posted Jul 10, 2010, 6:20 PM
Honored Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dmajackson View Post
BTW just my opinion but I think the reasons why this site was chosen might have to do with the reputation of nearby Spectacle Lake ...
What is the reputation - good or bad?

Old Posted Jul 10, 2010, 6:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fenwick16 View Post
What is the reputation - good or bad?
About 5 years ago a gay man was murdered in the park by a homophobic serial killer (unfortunately I forget the name). The park is a well-known gay cruising area that some people feel uncomfortable walking in because of the explicit nature of the men who hang around it.

When I took this photo (Friday evening) there were half a dozen cars parked on the street all looking for "action", if you know what I mean, and there was loud music coming from the park.

The reputation itself doesn't bug me since I'm open to equality (not sex in a public park though) but the other users of the park have complained before and having a police station right next door would certainly stop some of the going-ons.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Atlantic Provinces > Halifax > Suburbs