HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > Buildings & Architecture

Old Posted Mar 6, 2013, 7:05 PM
Red October standing by

Palmetto Compress Warehouse, Columbia, South Carolina

https://www.change.org/petitions/sav...the-demolition

o.k., so this is sort of a shameless plug to get signatures, but beyond that, also a study in industrial architecture and a fight for preservation vs. demolition going on in real time

http://www.wistv.com/story/21448952/...pXdk5rps.gmail

Quote:
COLUMBIA, SC (WIS) -

Packing up. At the Palmetto Compress Warehouse Sunday people were loading moving trucks, wasting little time, after getting notice they have until the 31st to clear out.

The plans are to tear the building down, brick by brick.

"You look at Charleston, they would never knock this building down," said business owner Todd Stuart. "I don't think there would be a debate in Charleston about knocking this building down."

The Vista Guild Merchant's Association, preservationists, local business owners and developers have launched a Facebook effort to save the century-old building used for storing cotton.

It's one of the last associated with African American history in the Vista.

"We're surrounded by successful examples of people coming in and rehabilitating and readapting historic buildings, that's what's so attractive," said Sarah Lewis with the Vista Guild Merchant's Association.

701 Whaley developer Richard Burts was told his project couldn't be done. He believes the warehouse can be renovated, claiming sloped floors considered a challenge by some, may be an opportunity for the right developer.

"You don't look at building the same way, historic building the same way you look at a building coming out of the ground," said Burts. "So, you get the creative team together, you figure out what you have, what your limitations are and then you fit the plan around the building."
pics by me

-

-fflint

Old Posted Mar 7, 2013, 8:42 AM
Midwest Moderator - Editor

Any more pics? Are we looking at the front or the back? From this view, it looks pretty generic.

Old Posted Mar 7, 2013, 3:36 PM

I'm all for preservation but this looks like a white elephant if I ever saw one...I can't think of how it could be adapted to become anything commercial or residential without considerable expense and altering the extrior. Perhaps a museum or artist studios but this thing's big, is that feasible there? Parking deck? Mall? ugh...

Quote:
Originally Posted by LMich View Post
Any more pics? Are we looking at the front or the back? From this view, it looks pretty generic.
Some more exterior pics here, also maps. Would be interested to see some interior shots.

Old Posted Mar 7, 2013, 5:31 PM
Architect Curmudgeon

Hmm... I too am having a hard time seeing a use for this...
It is a Bloody BIG Building, but it's just so, BIG. Ironically one of the best uses for it would be as an industrial warehouse...

If you DID want to convert it to condos or something you would have to knock out a LOT of the wall to let in more light for people and have a LOT more windows.

The picture of the "East Elevation" looks rather rund down. I suppose you could turn it into an Office building.
"God damn modern architect's and their Brtualism, and 'realism' and damn concrete boxes. Why I remember back when buildings had STYLE back when you would have real ARTISTS working away both inside and out!
"Um, aren't you like barely 30?"
"Thats not the point you damn whipper snapper!"

Old Posted Mar 8, 2013, 8:58 AM
Midwest Moderator - Editor

Quote:
Originally Posted by RCDC View Post
Some more exterior pics here, also maps. Would be interested to see some interior shots.
Thanks. I thought he may have just posted an unflattering angle of it, but that's actually the best view. There simply isn't much to the building (architecturally) beyond what it was used for.

This building wouldn't be possible to renovate. If you wanted creative residential and/or office space, you could cut some light courts into it and make it work. If you wanted to renovate it with the exterior, as is, you could reuse it as a warehouse or for storage. You know, house some internet service provider and its servers and such.

But, yeah, architecturally, there isn't a lot of "there" there, if you know what I mean. It's certainly not the preservation hill I would find myself wanting to die on, but more power to a person if they can save it, because reuse in and off itself is most often a plus for the environment, at least.

Old Posted Mar 8, 2013, 5:16 PM
Red October standing by

yeah, it's not the best looking building; thankfully a handful of architecturally superior mills have been converted into apartments and one into the state museum.

it's been used for storage for a few decades; a builder proposed student apartments on the site, with the original design for them being rejected as not meeting neighborhood guidelines (vinyl vs. brick exterior, suburban design).

-

-fflint

End

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > Buildings & Architecture