HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Manitoba & Saskatchewan

Old Posted Jun 8, 2007, 2:51 AM
A long time gone

Quote:
Originally Posted by ewh12 View Post
just thought u guys would be interested to know that Philippine Airlines is interested to fly to Winnipeg according to this News Article.
http://www.mb.com.ph/issues/2007/06/...060795442.html
Philippine, Iceland... great, powerful countries want a connection with Winnipeg!

-------------
"The spider spins his web in the Palace of the Caesars,
An owl hoots in the towers of Afrasiyab."

Old Posted Jun 8, 2007, 3:14 AM
GQMF

^Winnipeg with 30000 Filipinos (2nd most in the country).

Of course!

Old Posted Jun 8, 2007, 3:44 AM
Ignore these four words.

It's actually closer to 45000. It would make sense to have direct flights to Manila from Winnipeg because there are many who travel back and forth 12 months a year, especially in the winter months. If Calgary has PAL, I don't see why the 'Peg can't. We have more Filipinos in our city. The more airlines we get, the better.

Old Posted Jun 8, 2007, 7:19 PM
Movin' on up

Quote:
Originally Posted by spiritedenergy View Post
Philippine, Iceland... great, powerful countries want a connection with Winnipeg!

Sorry, don't really see the humor in that.

I think it's great if we can establish these connections with the rest of the world. We need to expand our profile instead of remaining so reclusive. Keep 'em coming.

Old Posted Jun 8, 2007, 8:48 PM
ʇɥƃıuʞ -*ʞpʇ*-

Quote:
Originally Posted by Albertaboy View Post
Sorry, don't really see the humor in that.

I think it's great if we can establish these connections with the rest of the world. We need to expand our profile instead of remaining so reclusive. Keep 'em coming.
yep also makes it cheaper for the rest of us to go explore these countries does it not?

Old Posted Jun 8, 2007, 9:00 PM
GQMF

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigG View Post
It's actually closer to 45000. It would make sense to have direct flights to Manila from Winnipeg because there are many who travel back and forth 12 months a year, especially in the winter months. If Calgary has PAL, I don't see why the 'Peg can't. We have more Filipinos in our city. The more airlines we get, the better.
Yea.. I couldn't find the actual amount. So I used the 2001 census.

Old Posted Jun 14, 2007, 6:23 PM
ILYR

June 12, 2007 - At the opening of Calm Air International’s new Charter, Cargo & Maintenance Facility, Winnipeg Airports Authority honoured founder, Arnold Morberg, with the naming of Morberg Way.

Located off Ferry Road in Business Park East of Winnipeg James Armstrong Richardson International Airport, Morberg Way leads to Calm Air’s new facility. Winnipeg Airports Authority Inc. named the street within the airport campus to honour the late Arnold Morberg and his contributions to aviation.

“Mr. Morberg’s vision included building this facility in Winnipeg, linking his southern and northern operations,” said Barry Rempel, President and CEO of Winnipeg Airports Authority Inc. “With the opening of the new facility and the naming of Morberg Way, we are pleased to continue to recognize his contributions to aviation in the past, present and the future.”

Carl Arnold Lawrence Morberg, CEO of Calm Air International Ltd., passed away on September 7th of 2005. Mr. Morberg was a true pioneer in the Manitoba airline business, operating in the north for over forty five years. From Calm Air’s beginnings in 1962 as a single aircraft operation in Northern Saskatchewan and Manitoba, this family-owned airline expanded its fleet and spread its wings to over 20 communities throughout Manitoba and Nunavut.

The new facility houses Calm Air’s Winnipeg cargo operations as well as a 20,216 square foot hangar / maintenance facility. Although all of Calm Air’s scheduled passenger flights will continue to arrive and depart from Winnipeg James Armstrong Richardson International Airport, the new facility incorporates a 2,100 square foot passenger boarding lounge for charter aircraft. The office complex is approximately 12,500 square feet on two floors. The main floor being cargo operations, maintenance shops and mechanical room, the upper floor includes office space for Winnipeg-based management and staff, lunch room and a large training / class room.

“This new facility is very important to our current operations and for the future of the company”, reported Gary Beaurivage, President of Calm Air. “The naming of Morberg Way is indeed a honour for the Morberg family and provides recognition for our founder and his vision for aviation services in Manitoba.”

Winnipeg Airports Authority’s campus has approximately 800 acres of developable land on the airport and another 3,000 acres in four business parks located immediately adjacent to the airport. With a strong tenant base of air cargo integrators and aerospace industry leaders, Airport Business Park East has land available for the development of office space, hospitality, retail and light industrial properties. Other locations offer prime potential for aircraft maintenance and distribution businesses.

Winnipeg Airports Authority serves our region by providing value to our customers and community. A source of pride for our community, we strive to be a leader in its growth and development.

Old Posted Jun 15, 2007, 7:30 PM
ILYR

Looks like they've started putting some piles.

Old Posted Jun 15, 2007, 11:55 PM
Closed account

It really is hard to tell what's going based on those pictures from the web cam. I've got to chase down that set of plans for the airport I saw floating around the office the other day.

Old Posted Jun 16, 2007, 2:43 AM
Capitalist

Quote:
Originally Posted by fengshui View Post
It really is hard to tell what's going based on those pictures from the web cam. I've got to chase down that set of plans for the airport I saw floating around the office the other day.

Yeah damnit...

I still want to see how much retail this new building is going to have and if it will have a viewing area to watch the runway activity, from the pre-security area.

Old Posted Jun 16, 2007, 2:48 AM
Movin' on up

With the artists renderings I've seen, I sure hope this thing will be as spectacular as it appears, and not just another boring blah "made in Winnipeg" bullshit, wateredown concept

Old Posted Jun 16, 2007, 3:02 AM
ʇɥƃıuʞ -*ʞpʇ*-

Quote:
Originally Posted by Biff View Post
Standard Aero has two large projects in the pipeline right now but they need to see how the new ownership of the company shakes out first. The new owners are a company out of Dubai.

.....world's tallest building in Winnipeg?

The last line was a joke people!
interesting..............

Old Posted Jun 16, 2007, 6:14 AM
Capitalist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Albertaboy View Post
With the artists renderings I've seen, I sure hope this thing will be as spectacular as it appears, and not just another boring blah "made in Winnipeg" bullshit, wateredown concept
Oh I think this project will make Winnipegers proud... but time will tell.

If it lives up to the pictures and models it will be the finest airport in Canada. It has a dramatic design with very attractive features.

I can't wait for them to start constructing the structure!!

Old Posted Jun 16, 2007, 4:11 PM

Usually when people first come to a city by air, their first impressions of the city are usually by the airport and the terminal.

By looking at the renderings, It may be one of the finest welcomes of any airport in Canada.

Old Posted Jun 17, 2007, 1:06 AM
Capitalist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brokenhead View Post
Usually when people first come to a city by air, their first impressions of the city are usually by the airport and the terminal.

By looking at the renderings, It may be one of the finest welcomes of any airport in Canada.
I am still unsure of the interior design... hopefully they don't forget about the people as they did in the new Toronto terminal.

Somebody please post the interior design plans.

If it is as amazing as the exterior design then it will have people talking the second they land. It should be the best airport in Canada.

Old Posted Jun 18, 2007, 12:20 AM
Orig. frm Alpha Pectaurus

Now that it's basically safe to post 13MTN content again... here's a news clip from April, 1988 regarding the $4 M renovations going on at the time:

13MTN - $4 M Renovations to Winnipeg International Airport

Old Posted Jun 18, 2007, 12:42 AM
Capitalist

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimj_wpg View Post
Now that it's basically safe to post 13MTN content again... here's a news clip from April, 1988 regarding the $4 M renovations going on at the time:

13MTN - $4 M Renovations to Winnipeg International Airport
I always wondered about he basement customs area. It like the needed more space, but couldn't afford to expand .. so they moved it into the basement.

Thankfully the airport is run privately by the WAA now and they have money to spend.

.... one last coment .. boy those hair styles sucked.

Old Posted Jun 18, 2007, 2:19 AM
Orig. frm Alpha Pectaurus

Quote:
Originally Posted by newflyer View Post
.... one last coment .. boy those hair styles sucked.
Not as much as 70s hair....

I liked Glen Cassie's trenchcoat look.

Old Posted Jun 23, 2007, 1:26 PM
iron ring

WAA has now posted the May traffic numbers - an 8.7% increase from May 2006.

Totalling the numbers for the year from June 2006 through May 2007 I get 3.476 million passengers, so we're very close to a rolling 12 month total of 3.5 million. Looks good for hitting 4 million when the new terminal opens, which I think is huge since it's the combination of increased traffic, improved connecting passenger facilities, and better availability of gates that will drive new air services at YWG.

Old Posted Jul 2, 2007, 10:58 PM
Movin' on up

Something that really aggravates me is that neither westjet nor air canada have bothered to upgrade Winnipeg's domestic or international routes substantially in the last year, while other Canadian cities are increasing their route capacities by leapes and bounds. For all that is being said about the increase in passenger traffic at Wpg. Int., I sure don't see any real proof of it.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Manitoba & Saskatchewan