HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Southwest

Old Posted May 17, 2017, 6:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by muertecaza View Post
For those interested in bicycle infrastructure, Phoenix's preliminary Capital Improvement Program for 2017-18, which will be submitted with the City budget this summer, includes funding for some exciting projects, including:
  • Funding construction of the last stretch of the Rio Salado bike path (32nd St. to the 143), creating a continuous path from Dobson in Mesa, to downtown Phoenix
  • Funding construction of the Grand Canalscape path, completing phases 2 for a complete path from I-17 on the west side to Priest on the east (where I assume it would meet up with the very pretty path in the Grand at Papago development)
  • Millions of additional dollars in street improvements to include new bike lanes. Apparently they put in 55 miles of new bike lanes in 2016-17. The sell was about 1000 miles of new lanes funded by Transportation 2050, so they seem to be on pace for that.

As much as new light rail lines are the sexy part of the Transportation 2050 funding, I feel like projects like these are just as important.
This is fantastic! I think the Arizona Canal pathways are a huge draw for neighborhoods near them and the Grand Canal due to its more central location could be even better utilized.

Old Posted May 29, 2017, 3:11 AM
Skyriser

Folks on this board have long had the idea of a light rail line extending south to the Fiesta District and Downtown Chandler. It's also been thought that the streetcar should go to Sloan Park and Riverview.

Now these concepts are getting some traction.

http://www.eastvalleytribune.com/lif...81c943d71.html

Last edited by combusean; May 29, 2017 at 5:12 AM.

Old Posted May 31, 2017, 9:04 PM

Hi all,

S1 concourse design is out with submissions due 6/16/17:

https://www.phoenix.gov/financesite/...ign%20Svcs.pdf

Scope of work:

Quote:
• A new 3-4 level concourse (basement, apron and passenger levels) with approximately 30,000
square feet per level; mezzanine potential.
• Connector bridge with moving walkways, approximately 30,000 square feet.
• Transfer bridge with moving walkways, approximately 30,000 square feet.
• Aircraft apron and hydrant fueling system for 8 gates.
• Security screening checkpoint expansion at Checkpoint D.
• Ticketing counter and baggage claim carousel expansion within the T4 Terminal.
• Outbound baggage handling system inclusive of new conveyors, carousel(s) and EDS expansion
to service T4 S1 and T4 S2 demand.
• Aircraft parking plan.
• Public Restrooms.
• Associated structural, electrical, mechanical and civil work.
• Retail and food and beverage shell spaces.
• Potential International Facilities.
• Passenger boarding bridge and gate equipment.
• Airside, landside access and loading dock.
• Service road below taxiways

Old Posted May 31, 2017, 9:06 PM

West GTC station

Hi all,

This is for West Ground Transportation Center station. Here's a link:

https://www.phoenix.gov/financesite/...20Overview.pdf

This is for Phase 2 Skytrain expansion.

Old Posted May 31, 2017, 9:22 PM

I have noticed Phoenix making some changes lately to the "bicycles may use whole lane" signs on Central, further north by my house the signs add to the sentence and say "change lanes to pass". This may seem like a nothing addition to most people but I feel like the more signs bluntly telling drivers that cyclists are allowed to do what they are doing the better. I hope all the signs on Central eventually get this addition.

Old Posted May 31, 2017, 9:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by N830MH View Post
Hi all,

This is for West Ground Transportation Center station. Here's a link:

https://www.phoenix.gov/financesite/...20Overview.pdf

This is for Phase 2 Skytrain expansion.
Nice do they have anything for the rental car station? I want to see how that's going to look.

And the extra parking on the west will be great.

Old Posted Jun 2, 2017, 6:12 AM

How Phoenix Freeway System Should Be!!

https://farm5.staticflickr.com/4248/...ff357d07_b.jpg

Don't know how to insert picture directly.

I was bored and created this. Sorry if I crashed the party or changed subjects..

Last edited by PHX-DUDE-MAN; Jun 2, 2017 at 6:25 AM.

Old Posted Jun 2, 2017, 12:19 PM

I can't begin to comprehend the amount of money that would take.

Old Posted Jun 2, 2017, 1:36 PM

i like the 505 and the extension of the 303 over to scottsdale

Old Posted Jun 2, 2017, 4:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PHX-DUDE-MAN View Post
https://farm5.staticflickr.com/4248/...ff357d07_b.jpg

Don't know how to insert picture directly.

I was bored and created this. Sorry if I crashed the party or changed subjects..
That would destroy so many great neighborhoods, no please no

I do like the 303 and 505 like the other guy said though

Old Posted Jun 2, 2017, 4:35 PM
Modulator

There's actually some reality to your map.

The 505 would be similar to what the I-10 reliever will follow.

The Northern Parkway will be a partial 404 Express as it will eventually connect to Grand Ave.

As for the 303, I can envision this actually happening 20-30 years down the road. The open land is there and they are already working on expanding Sonoran Desert Dr. from North Valley Pkwy which terminates at Cave Creek Rd and could provide nearly half of the 303 expansion. Too bad such an expansion, I would never see in my lifetime

Old Posted Jun 2, 2017, 5:05 PM
self-important urbanista

Quote:
Originally Posted by Obadno View Post
That would destroy so many great neighborhoods, no please no
The 404 and SR61 would not only destroy neighborhoods but also violate the Phoenix Mountain Preserve. We've already done too much of that with SR51 and the South Mountain Freeway.

Old Posted Jun 2, 2017, 6:33 PM

Ok, since we are playing sim city I took what you started and refined it. First off, we only need so many freeways to alleviate traffic and a majority of that could be accomplished with east/west connectors. The land costs in Scottsdale and Paradise Valley are too high for them to ever sign off on any new freeways there. I traced these roads to follow the path of least destruction utilizing farm land, river banks, and already enormous roads.

NP - Northern Parkway. This freeway has already been built as far west as the 303 and continuing it along roughly Butler would allow it to be extended to Grand Freeway without too much destruction, it would then follow Grand Freeway South to approx. Maryland because it's far enough south to reduce the amount of eminent domain that would be necessary to connect to the 17.

303 - Here I have connected the 303 to Cave Creek road which is already a massive arterial street with plenty of room to grow and handle even more traffic and become an expressway itself. On the south end the 303 would follow along the Salt River until meeting with the 17.

Grand Freeway - I think we all would like to see Grand Avenue be completed as a limited access freeway which would be near-impossible and cost prohibitive but we are playing fairy tale anyway.

51 - I have extended this to Cave Creek Road with a terminus a few miles south of the 303.

Thunderbird Parkway - Thunderbird is a prime candidate for becoming an east/west freeway. It doesn't have to be of gargantuan nature but much of the roadway is already 6 lanes wide and bordered by open space. Between the 51 and 17 this is the best option.

187 - I have connected the 187 to the 202 which is roughly what is already in the works to a lesser extent.

Sun City Freeway - I think it would be relatively simple to connect the Grand Freeway and the 303 following Skunk Creek. This will help ease congestion through Sun City West and Surprise once Vistancia grows to its capacity.

Old Posted Jun 3, 2017, 3:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by exit2lef View Post
It appears the deal just reached to keep the federal government operating through October will maintain current levels of federal transit funding. That's probably good news for the Tempe Streetcar and the South Central light rail line. Nevertheless, the budget proposal for next fiscal year, which begins in October, still calls for no new transit investment by the federal government, so there's still uncertainty over the viability of projects not as far along in the pipeline.
Presidential budgets are by definition DOA. Nothing has changed inspite of the Republican majority. It may be unfortunate that the budgets have been written mostly by the Heritage Foundation but it's merely a distraction.

Rep Bill Schuster is still Chairman of the House Transportation & Infrastructure Committee. The FAST Act passed the House by a margin of 359-65 which supposedly indentified funding for 3 of the 5 years. I know funding has to be formalized each year but there are more and more Republicans who support transit funding. It's more of an Obama's "all of the above" belief that transit will need be a part of the future. My position is to count on the funding being there until news that it isn't.

What's more frustrating is the declining transit ridership around the country especially on buses in most cities. Light rail is generally doing nicely. HERE's a recent sampling of some news stories.

BTW, I think the Tempe Streetcar will be a Yuge success. That's just a guess on my part so we'll see.

Old Posted Jun 3, 2017, 4:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by biggus diggus View Post

51 - I have extended this to Cave Creek Road with a terminus a few miles south of the 303.

Actually, they already opened new Black Mountain Blvd from SR-51 by last year. There is no way for extended to Cave Creek Rd. Sorry, man!

Old Posted Jun 3, 2017, 5:01 AM
Skyriser

ADOT uses the X0X format for loops.

I would rename the 404 to be the 117 because it could be thought of a spur route to I-17. When it was proposed back in the day, it had the number 50. Maybe the 61 could be 217. The 51 derives from 510 (spur route of I-10), so 61 and 71 don't really make sense in the historical context.

The 505 should be the 110 or 310, given there's a 210 in Tucson. But for some reason, ADOT gave it the number 30. Maybe it relates to the 50 in some way, like I-40 is north of I-10 with I-20 between the two east of Texas.

The extension of the 101 south would destroy Tolleson, so they're pretty opposed to it over there. It's part of the reason why the 202 doesn't connect to 101 on the west side.

I like the sound of the 71.

Old Posted Jun 3, 2017, 5:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by N830MH View Post
Actually, they already opened new Black Mountain Blvd from SR-51 by last year. There is no way for extended to Cave Creek Rd. Sorry, man!
I mean, what's to stop the Black Mountain BLVD from becoming a limited access freeway that extends to Cave Creek?

Old Posted Jun 3, 2017, 4:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by biggus diggus View Post
Ok, since we are playing sim city I took what you started and refined it. First off, we only need so many freeways to alleviate traffic and a majority of that could be accomplished with east/west connectors. The land costs in Scottsdale and Paradise Valley are too high for them to ever sign off on any new freeways there. I traced these roads to follow the path of least destruction utilizing farm land, river banks, and already enormous roads.

NP - Northern Parkway. This freeway has already been built as far west as the 303 and continuing it along roughly Butler would allow it to be extended to Grand Freeway without too much destruction, it would then follow Grand Freeway South to approx. Maryland because it's far enough south to reduce the amount of eminent domain that would be necessary to connect to the 17.

303 - Here I have connected the 303 to Cave Creek road which is already a massive arterial street with plenty of room to grow and handle even more traffic and become an expressway itself. On the south end the 303 would follow along the Salt River until meeting with the 17.

Grand Freeway - I think we all would like to see Grand Avenue be completed as a limited access freeway which would be near-impossible and cost prohibitive but we are playing fairy tale anyway.

Thunderbird Parkway - Thunderbird is a prime candidate for becoming an east/west freeway. It doesn't have to be of gargantuan nature but much of the roadway is already 6 lanes wide and bordered by open space. Between the 51 and 17 this is the best option.

187 - I have connected the 187 to the 202 which is roughly what is already in the works to a lesser extent.

Sun City Freeway - I think it would be relatively simple to connect the Grand Freeway and the 303 following Skunk Creek. This will help ease congestion through Sun City West and Surprise once Vistancia grows to its capacity.

I like your map, I think that would be the most realistic route they would take if they had the funds. I think the PHX Metro needs more east/west freeways especially between the I-10 and 101. We have so many arterial streets but I want something faster going west to east.

Old Posted Jun 5, 2017, 2:45 PM
self-important urbanista

Rail Fleet Expansion

I was wondering when the rail fleet would have to be expanded. It appears that is now happening according to this press release on Valley Metro's website:

The Valley Metro Rail Board has authorized the purchase of rail fleet to support future growth and service expansion. Awards are being made to two manufacturers:

Siemens Industry will receive a contract for manufacture of 11 S70 light rail vehicles (LRVs) over a seven year period. Estimated contract value at $57.9 million. There is also an option for purchase of up to 67 additional S70 LRVs.

Brookville Equipment will receive a contract for manufacture of six off-wire capable, battery propulsion streetcar vehicles over a three year period. Estimated contract value at $33 million.

Fleet is needed for anticipated growth in future ridership along the current 26-mile line, as well as expansion of service with the opening of the Gilbert Road Extension in 2019 and several extensions anticipated to open through 2026. Streetcar is scheduled to begin service in 2020.

With the planned expansion of the regional light rail system over the next 20 years, Valley Metro will be expanding the Operations and Maintenance Center to support the additional light rail vehicles and new streetcar fleet. Expansion will also include new storage tracks for light rail vehicles and build out of additional shop and storage facilities.

Old Posted Jun 5, 2017, 2:48 PM
self-important urbanista

Quote:
Originally Posted by PHX-DUDE-MAN View Post
I like your map, I think that would be the most realistic route they would take if they had the funds. I think the PHX Metro needs more east/west freeways especially between the I-10 and 101. We have so many arterial streets but I want something faster going west to east.
Other have shared your desire, and the Paradise Parkway was part of the freeway plan approved back in 1985. It was scrapped long ago and has not been resurrected.

http://www.aaroads.com/guide.php?page=s0050az

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Southwest