HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Photography Forums > My City Photos

Old Posted Mar 20, 2017, 11:18 PM
Montérégien

NÎMES _ In the heart of the French Rome

This weekend, I had the occasion to spend 1 day and 2 nights in the heart of NÎMES , France, one of the very few mid-sized french cities I never had the chance to visit. It's located in the eastern part of the newly-created region of Occitanie (more precisely in the Languedoc, department of the Gard), between Montpellier and Marseille.

To tell the whole story, in fact, I was stuck in a very small village in the middle of the Cévennes - an isolated mountainous area located in the centre-south of France (department of Lozère). The carsharing service cancelled my ride at the last minute (because they realized that I was a man and the lady that was supposed to car-lift me didn't like to carshare with men. Kind of rude). As I was stuck in the middle of nowhere, I had no other choice than hitchhiking to get somewhere else, at least to a place where I could figure a way to get back to Paris, where I live at this moment.

So I sat in the middle of a roundabout holding a sign that said «Alès», the name of a town located southward, not too far, where I knew there was a SNCF train station. Lots of people passed, then a young woman around my age, 30ish, stopped. She was very nice and was heading to Nîmes. She was moving from Nîmes to Mende for work and drove this road several times a week, trying to get all of her things into her new apartment. So she took me to Nîmes. I was glad because I knew it was a bigger city (~150 000 intra-muros, and ~265 000 in the urban area). And I didn't know the place at all ! Plus, the weather was so good in Southern France, that I told myself, why not spend the weekend in a beautiful town I don't know, instead of heading straight back to cold(ish) grey rainy Paris.

That was a good bet. I was charmed by the heart of the French Rome (on la surnomme la petite Rome ou bien la Rome française, en français). I took a hotel room downtown and started exploring.

First, the weather was extremely great for the middle of March : 28°C, sunshine, with a good breeze. Lush nature... as spring was coming back in force ; blooming trees, flowers everywhere...

I was captivated by the history of this city that was already an important capital in the mediterranean celtic world. It was an oppidum 2 centuries BC, and then became a roman colony in 28 BC. It is said that the city already had a population of ~60 000 during the golden era of the Roman Empire.

I only got 1 full day in Nîmes, so I stayed in the centre. Here are some pictures from this voyage-éclair.

The Arena is a Roman amphitheatre, that was built around AD 90. Today, they host the Feria de Nîmes and other public events. According to Wiki, the building encloses an elliptical central space 133 m long by 101 m wide. It is ringed by 34 rows of seats supported by a vaulted construction.

La Maison Carrée (translation : the Square House) it is one of the best preserved Roman temple façades to be found in the territory of the former Roman Empire. It was built around 4 to 7 AD and was dedicated, as a temple, to Gaius and Lucius Cesar. It was the designated place of worship for the nearby forum. It showcases 30 columns (height of 9 m.)

On the top of the city's highest hill, lies la Tour Magne (Torre Magna, or the Great Tower). The tower is what remains of the important roman fortification system. There was already a 18m high building on this site, 3 centuries before JC, and then, it was brought to an height of 36m under the Emperor Augustus and included in the defensive wall.

Old Posted Mar 21, 2017, 1:32 AM

Wow, looks great! What a gem of a city, and super pics!

I never even knew about this city (heard the name before, but without any context).

Old Posted Mar 21, 2017, 3:11 AM
Posh

Nice!

Old Posted Mar 22, 2017, 7:17 AM
Montérégien

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crawford View Post
Wow, looks great! What a gem of a city [...]
I never even knew about this city (heard the name before, but without any context).
Same for me. I knew there was a roman arena, and that was about it. I was greatly surprised ! I'll sure go back there, in the summer.

Quote:
Originally Posted by James Bond Agent 007 View Post
Nice!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Crawford View Post
super pics!
Thanks guys ! Glad you appreciated.

Old Posted Mar 22, 2017, 11:34 AM

Those Romans sure got around ! Nice set of pics.

Old Posted Mar 23, 2017, 12:19 AM
Up Up and Away

Very nice! Thanks for sharing.

Old Posted Mar 23, 2017, 10:09 AM

Lovely place. Arles is another small city nearby with a great Roman amphitheater.
There is a cult of ignorance in the United States, and there always has been. The strain of anti-intellectualism has been a constant thread winding its way through our political and cultural life, nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that "my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge." - Isaac Asimov

Old Posted Mar 23, 2017, 2:53 PM

Serious question - what are the reasons to NOT live in this piece of heaven on earth?

I have never been to Nîmes, but I think I want to move there! Fantastic pictures!

Old Posted Mar 23, 2017, 4:35 PM
Ex Houstonian

Incredible, I so hope to live in Europe someday.

La Maison Carrée was recently restored I believe. Looks incredibly beautiful now and it's amazing it survived war and Christianity so intact.

Old Posted Mar 24, 2017, 1:34 AM

I visited Nîmes back in the summer of 1999. Of course I visited the Roman amphitheatre. I remember climbing up to the top which I greatly enjoyed (I was a young 17 year old back then!). It's great to see it again here in these nice photos! Thanks for sharing them!

Old Posted Mar 24, 2017, 3:25 AM

Nice pictures! I especially liked the historical background. I had heard about that best-preserved temple, but forgot about and and where it was. I saved the name now, so if I ever go to France, I can try to see it!

Old Posted Mar 25, 2017, 9:04 AM
Montérégien

Thanks for the comments, guys !

I have to say that I really enjoy this very section on SSP ; so many great picture threads around here, and also ideas for future trips around the world.

@10023, I've been to Arles as well, maybe we could initiate an Arles photo thread with our pictures. Arles sure is another good looking town !

Old Posted Mar 26, 2017, 5:07 AM

Some lovely spaces there. Thanks for sharing.

Old Posted Mar 28, 2017, 2:29 AM
cities|transit|croissants

Beautiful. Love the canal especially.

Old Posted Mar 28, 2017, 3:06 AM
REAL Kiwi!

Spectacular! What a special place, I could be content to live out my days in a place like that. Very nice photography as well....

Old Posted Mar 28, 2017, 10:38 AM
Illustrator, editor

Nice photos, great architecture, Nimes is a hidden gem!

All my diagram drawings - more than 700!:
http://skyscraperpage.com/diagrams/?14670510

Old Posted Mar 28, 2017, 1:35 PM
sick transit, gloria

Great shots! I've been listening to a podcast about the fall of the Roman Empire and just finished the episode about Roman Gaul, so this was very timely. Also helps explain why Roman buildings in this area were more likely to survive compared to others.

Old Posted Mar 28, 2017, 3:02 PM

Great shots!

There is also the beautiful aqueduct in the area, tje Pont du Gard. I would love to be there now...

Old Posted Mar 30, 2017, 9:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Laceoflight View Post
@10023, I've been to Arles as well, maybe we could initiate an Arles photo thread with our pictures. Arles sure is another good looking town !
I'll be in the area again in a few weeks to stay with family. At some point I need to get my photos uploaded to a site (from there and lots of other places).
There is a cult of ignorance in the United States, and there always has been. The strain of anti-intellectualism has been a constant thread winding its way through our political and cultural life, nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that "my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge." - Isaac Asimov

Old Posted Apr 7, 2017, 8:41 PM
It could be worse!

But how's the pizza?

All kidding aside, beautiful shots! Definitely a city I'd love to check out next time I'm in France.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Photography Forums > My City Photos