HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Southwest

Old Posted Sep 23, 2014, 7:00 PM
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by MegaBass View Post
University Drive improvement medians with palm trees. h/t Tom Tokoph of Urban Realty
Date palms look great! Did University dr used to have a suicide lane median?

Old Posted Sep 23, 2014, 7:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leo the Dog View Post
Date palms look great! Did University dr used to have a suicide lane median?
Correct. It looks nice, but this will make traffic a nightmare. It will severely limit where people can turn and cause back-ups at turn lanes that stop traffic. I have been avoiding University like the plague while they have the middle lane shut down. Having said that, I'm for it. That street could use a clean-up.

Old Posted Sep 23, 2014, 10:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PHXFlyer11 View Post
Correct. It looks nice, but this will make traffic a nightmare. It will severely limit where people can turn and cause back-ups at turn lanes that stop traffic. I have been avoiding University like the plague while they have the middle lane shut down. Having said that, I'm for it. That street could use a clean-up.
Traffic may get slowed down a bit, but I'm willing to bet that this project will make turning movements more predictable (both for oncoming drivers and for people walking or biking), which in turn should reduce both collisions and close calls on University. Speaking as somebody who travels on University using all modes at one time or another, I'm also all for it!

Old Posted Sep 23, 2014, 10:48 PM
self-important urbanista

Quote:
Originally Posted by DevilsRider View Post
Traffic may get slowed down a bit, but I'm willing to bet that this project will make turning movements more predictable (both for oncoming drivers and for people walking or biking), which in turn should reduce both collisions and close calls on University. Speaking as somebody who travels on University using all modes at one time or another, I'm also all for it!
Agreed. There will be no carmageddon on University Drive. Left turn opportunities have been preserved at business entrances and intersecting streets. Besides, one of the reasons Tempe pursued this project is that motor vehicle traffic on University has been decreasing while bike / ped traffic has been increasing.

Old Posted Sep 24, 2014, 1:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PHXFlyer11 View Post
Interesting, were any renderings ever done?

It looks like the web site for The Grand at Papago Park Center continues to be updated wit the progress on the relocation of the canal (http://www.thegrandatpapagoparkcenter.com/index.html). I know many are not a fan of this project, but if it gets us another 3-4 8-10 story buildings in a location that will never be urban anyways, I am good with it. I just have a hard time believing that any or most of this will come to fruition.
I just saw renderings the other day in one of the early pages of this thread; will try to dig them up - it was only for one proposal. The rest of my info comes directly from Council meeting minutes from the boom days where they mentioned the use of the land for arts purposes. It looks like they are in the process of hiring someone to develop an overall arts plan for the City, so perhaps that might spur some interest in the area again.

As for Papago, it's not the fact that there are parking garages that bother me. It's the overall site plan which does nothing to address or promote the use of the light rail station that it is immediately adjacent to. No, this won't be an 'urban' area in the sense of being a 24/7 live-work-play part of the city, but that doesn't mean that best practices for TOD shouldn't be followed.

The development plans for the residential buildings to be furthest from the light rail stop, when these are the most likely to use the rail for events, ASU and to go to employment centers outside Papago. Catering toward only the business workers is a complete miss. Additionally, the development is completely inward facing. There's no reason the peripheral buildings, especially at the intersection, shouldn't address the street and be mixed use in nature. Landscaped setbacks and parking lot frontages are simply inappropriate for a development adjacent to a light rail stop.

Old Posted Sep 25, 2014, 4:56 AM

tempe- sorry its not downtown phx, but still metro phx

http://www.bizjournals.com/phoenix/n...d-on-mill.html

here is another article about a new building , over monti's in tempe.

Old Posted Sep 25, 2014, 5:05 AM

Location: Country Club Park, Greater Coronado, Midtown, Phoenix, Az
Quote:
Originally Posted by phxresident View Post
http://www.bizjournals.com/phoenix/n...d-on-mill.html

here is another article about a new building , over monti's in tempe.
yuck, bringing back that awful idea? Montis is a historic Tempe landmark, I'd hate for it to be compromised with some building lurching over it.

Old Posted Sep 25, 2014, 5:44 PM

Just read an article about KC voters decisively voting down expansion of their two mile street car starter line. It also mention federal money is harder to get. I was wondering if anyone had any current news on the Tempe project.

Old Posted Sep 25, 2014, 8:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Classical in Phoenix View Post
Just read an article about KC voters decisively voting down expansion of their two mile street car starter line. It also mention federal money is harder to get. I was wondering if anyone had any current news on the Tempe project.
See Metro Phoenix Transit/Transportation Developments tread

Old Posted Sep 26, 2014, 12:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HooverDam View Post
yuck, bringing back that awful idea? Montis is a historic Tempe landmark, I'd hate for it to be compromised with some building lurching over it.
Unfortunately, that intersection is a prime gateway. This design at least doesn't apply any half-assed cantilever. I think bringing more office, and an upscale Kimpton hotel to the north end of Mill is worth it.

Old Posted Sep 26, 2014, 4:28 PM

I was thinking the other day....as Tempe is getting denser and has attracted dense commercial development, I am hoping that they can eventually allow supergraphics to be plastered on buildings. I am thinking that blank wall that faces north on the Kimpton proposal wouldn't be a bad place to start. Think of the visability from the lake/ freeway. Some people may regard it as visual pollution, however I think some of these buildings offer a unique opportunity given their visability. I think USA Place has some billboards proposed based on the renderings. Discuss.

Old Posted Sep 26, 2014, 5:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jjs5056 View Post
they aren't as scary as they are now (looking at you, smoke shop white brick building).

Thank you for the pics!
I walked by this building last night and it really isn't all that bad. The building itself actually has some decent redeeming qualities from the mid century. It's not all that far offset (not every building needs to but right up against the sidewalk, even though part of this one does which is nice). There are a few small windows (again, not totally ideal, but not every building needs to have huge window shopping windows). And it was decently lit with a pretty cool neon back-lit sign proclaiming the name of the building ("Barmeier Building") - you know, like it's some nice meaningful historic building.

The small parking area in front sucks, but that's OK, again, not everything needs to be perfect.

I don't think you're giving this building enough credit.

A quick search of the Barmeier Building resulted in: The building was designed by architect Patrick JC Mather and built in 1967. It originally served as offices for Mountain Bell.

Old Posted Sep 26, 2014, 5:43 PM
BANNED

My sister worked there for Mountain Bell in the 70s. It was also a Trail's headshop for many years until I'm thinking a few years ago, too.

Old Posted Sep 26, 2014, 6:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PHX31 View Post
I walked by this building last night and it really isn't all that bad. The building itself actually has some decent redeeming qualities from the mid century. It's not all that far offset (not every building needs to but right up against the sidewalk, even though part of this one does which is nice). There are a few small windows (again, not totally ideal, but not every building needs to have huge window shopping windows). And it was decently lit with a pretty cool neon back-lit sign proclaiming the name of the building ("Barmeier Building") - you know, like it's some nice meaningful historic building.

The small parking area in front sucks, but that's OK, again, not everything needs to be perfect.

I don't think you're giving this building enough credit.

A quick search of the Barmeier Building resulted in: The building was designed by architect Patrick JC Mather and built in 1967. It originally served as offices for Mountain Bell.

No, I have plenty of respect for what that building could be. But, in its current state, it's become a haven for the homeless/beggars that give downtown Tempe a bad reputation because of its poor window and door design. There aren't any 'eyes on the street,' so it isn't the most comfortable of environments.

I'm well aware that of the name of the building - which should be prominently displayed, along with the tenants of the building; as of now, not even the main smoke shop has signage that is visible from the street. If there are other tenants, you would never guess.

1) Moving the entrance to the smoke shop to front Mill instead of being hidden behind the brick 'foyer' and/or a main lobby entrance for other tenants
2) Adding more prominent signage for all tenants
3) Highlighting the Garmeier Building name
4) Including some accent lighting
5) Painting the brick which gives a dated feel; use at least 2 colors to highlight the different forms that make the building attractive

...would all make the building more attractive and the area seem safer - I'm not a prude, I can handle the walk, but I am talking about perception and this being the main thoroughfare connecting Farmer > Mill, you have to admit it could use some TLC. I never recommended tearing the thing down.

Lastly, a pipedream, but it would be great if the parking lot could be turned into a small lot with grass and pavers for vendors; there is plenty of space in the back for parking if employees are made to park at Hanover, and giving the parking lot a new use would make the area safer as there are several driveways and streets breaking the sidewalk in a very short distance.

I realize some of the changes would be costly but some boil down to deferred maintenance such as the paint and lighting; regardless, wouldn't this be somewhat more inviting and comfortable to walk by (I am not a pro and will repeat that I know it isn't as simple as writing it all down)?

Old Posted Sep 26, 2014, 10:58 PM
BANNED

What color is the sky in your world, Jjs5056?

Old Posted Sep 27, 2014, 12:16 AM

I'll be straight up. That building is ugly. I walk past it every day and its an eyesore. Visitors think its an eyesore. Its just like the Century Link building across the street. Let's not try to make something out of nothing. Tear it down and put in a 4-8 story condos or townhomes and some retail.

Old Posted Sep 27, 2014, 2:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spitfiredude View Post
I'll be straight up. That building is ugly. I walk past it every day and its an eyesore. Visitors think its an eyesore. Its just like the Century Link building across the street. Let's not try to make something out of nothing. Tear it down and put in a 4-8 story condos or townhomes and some retail.
Exactly. If the goal is to build a downtown beyond Mill Ave, 5th street needs to be cleaned up as it is the only linkage between the western neighborhoods and Mill Ave > Rural through College. Walking from the Hanover lot/garage is always a game of figuring out which side looks less sketchy; no, it isn't truly dangerous, but it's dirty and not in a "gives Tempe character" kind of way.

It's a shame Hanover was built without retail, because that's an entire dead zone between Mill and Farmer now. It's too bad Hayden Square couldn't build retail stalls on at least the intersections instead of the parking lot on the ground level. I have to imagine the costs would be recouped in the longterm.

Anyway, Tempe is well aware of the eyesores both CenturyLink and Garmeier/Harmeier are; if the landlords aren't willing to make some changes, hopefully the Association can at least work on beautifying the area, adding wayfinding kiosks, and trying to get permits for vendors and the like to keep the street active.

Old Posted Sep 28, 2014, 5:22 PM

Quite a few things to update. I'll start with the stuff I didn't get pictures on. Postino has most of their landscaping in for the patio, and it. Looks. AWESOME. I cannot wait. Looks like it will open on schedule in October. The garage at Hanover looks like it will be invisible from all sides but south/West 6th.

Residences on Farmer is rising now, just SOUTH of Encore. The site seems to extend all the way to University. The lot just NORTH of Encore is also completely fenced off. Might just be staging for Residences, though.

6th and Roosevelt townhomes now have a name and website: 4 twenty-one west (http://421west.com/). This should be a nice little infill development half a block from Encore. Excited for this one to break ground. They have 4-page info sheets on site, for additional information.

Finally, Marina Heights continues to impress me with its size and street presence. It really is transforming Rio Salado and the lake. Alongside, the Lofts at Hayden Ferry has construction equipment on site. Could be moving ahead shortly. And Hayden Ferry III is chugging along nicely; the underground garage is nearly covered, and the first floor is coming up!

Old Posted Sep 28, 2014, 7:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DevilsRider View Post
Quite a few things to update. I'll start with the stuff I didn't get pictures on. Postino has most of their landscaping in for the patio, and it. Looks. AWESOME. I cannot wait. Looks like it will open on schedule in October. The garage at Hanover looks like it will be invisible from all sides but south/West 6th.

Residences on Farmer is rising now, just SOUTH of Encore. The site seems to extend all the way to University. The lot just NORTH of Encore is also completely fenced off. Might just be staging for Residences, though.

6th and Roosevelt townhomes now have a name and website: 4 twenty-one west (http://421west.com/). This should be a nice little infill development half a block from Encore. Excited for this one to break ground. They have 4-page info sheets on site, for additional information.

Finally, Marina Heights continues to impress me with its size and street presence. It really is transforming Rio Salado and the lake. Alongside, the Lofts at Hayden Ferry has construction equipment on site. Could be moving ahead shortly. And Hayden Ferry III is chugging along nicely; the underground garage is nearly covered, and the first floor is coming up!
Thanks for the updates. I didn't realize the name of Residences on Farmer was essentially what we'd been referring to as Encore 2.

I believe that the lot at the very end of Farmer and University is actually the staging lot. They seem to have equipment there, but have not moved dirt. This article seems to confirm that parcel is owned by the same company, but not part of this project. http://azbex.com/transit-development...enior-complex/

Also, I think the lot to the north on 5th and Farmer is actually be used by the city of Tempe to store some crap. It's a semi-permanent fence.

I noticed The Lofts at Hayden Ferry had started as well. If you look at the Marina Heights construction cam, you can actually see dirt is moving on The Lofts site.

Old Posted Sep 30, 2014, 4:48 AM

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Southwest