HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Photography Forums > My City Photos

Old Posted Mar 6, 2013, 10:12 PM
Fast. Fun. Frequent.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Centropolis View Post
random comment: it's always strange to see the deck of a cruise ship slipping past/above the french quarter/bywater past the end of a street.
On the flip side, it's really weird being up 12 floors on the deck of a cruise ship watching the French Quarter go by.. I felt like a king in the floating castle for a second.
Latest Photo Threads: Los Angeles | New Orleans | Denver: 2014 Megathread | Denver Time-Lapse Project For more photos check out: My Website and My Flickr Photostream

Old Posted Mar 7, 2013, 12:06 AM

enjoyed your tour of this historic southern city, thank you

Old Posted Mar 7, 2013, 1:12 AM
disneypilled verhoevenist

Quote:
Originally Posted by RyanD View Post
On the flip side, it's really weird being up 12 floors on the deck of a cruise ship watching the French Quarter go by.. I felt like a king in the floating castle for a second.
kind of a silly question but did you observe the point at which you left the Mississippi river and officially enter the gulf? a co-worker described a strange fog at that spot (on a cruise ship).

Old Posted Mar 7, 2013, 1:41 AM
Fast. Fun. Frequent.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Centropolis View Post
kind of a silly question but did you observe the point at which you left the Mississippi river and officially enter the gulf? a co-worker described a strange fog at that spot (on a cruise ship).
I made it a point to stay up to watch the transition from the river to the ocean and it was a really foggy night in general so I couldn't tell you if the fog was just around that area or not. However, I was playing mini golf on the upper deck when we were entering the river going back and it was a crystal clear night. Just as an FYI, if you play mini golf while the ship is steering into the Mississippi, you're gonna have a bad time and miss a lot of holes
Latest Photo Threads: Los Angeles | New Orleans | Denver: 2014 Megathread | Denver Time-Lapse Project For more photos check out: My Website and My Flickr Photostream

Old Posted Mar 7, 2013, 2:17 AM

I really enjoyed your photos of NOLA, You've got a great eye for photography. no place like NOLA and so happy to see things progressing nicely. "All those cranes" are building the new Tulane LSU Medical Center and Veterans Hospitals and other Medical office buildings along with new sheriff''s department buildings in your first pic. Thanks for sharing!

Last edited by latour58zg; Mar 28, 2013 at 4:27 AM.

Old Posted Mar 7, 2013, 6:10 AM

Quote:
You're not the only one. I got the same weird vibe when I was aimlessly wandering and instantly fell in love at the same time. I had a hard time finding any other place with similarities however, the closest I came up with was Charleston with some skyscrapers mixed in. It was the most fascinating city I have ever been to and I can't wait to plan a longer trip back there!
It does have a weird vibe! I loved it.

Great photos BTW!

Old Posted Mar 7, 2013, 8:48 PM

@RyanD

Now, that makes perfect sense that SOM built both the RP and OSS. And the difference in the facades was no doubt an attempt to confer some uniqueness to each tower, just like they did to OSP on Louisiana Street in Houston. It too has a unique facade, unique window arrangements on the top floor and base. And don't forget the 200+' spire atop the OSP. All three are absolutely gorgeous in their loftiness and simplicity.

Also @DestroyCreate: You certainly are not alone with that feeling. I'm from a few miles east of Nawlins and I feel that aura every time I go there or pass through there. I've got conjectures, but I'll keep them to myself.

Old Posted Mar 9, 2013, 4:16 PM
Fast. Fun. Frequent.

Quote:
Originally Posted by texcolo View Post
It does have a weird vibe! I loved it.

Great photos BTW!
Thanks man!

Quote:
Originally Posted by scraperfetish View Post
Now, that makes perfect sense that SOM built both the RP and OSS. And the difference in the facades was no doubt an attempt to confer some uniqueness to each tower, just like they did to OSP on Louisiana Street in Houston. It too has a unique facade, unique window arrangements on the top floor and base. And don't forget the 200+' spire atop the OSP. All three are absolutely gorgeous in their loftiness and simplicity.

Also @DestroyCreate: You certainly are not alone with that feeling. I'm from a few miles east of Nawlins and I feel that aura every time I go there or pass through there. I've got conjectures, but I'll keep them to myself.
It was nice to see a taste of home in NOLA.. I love the simplicity in these towers and they are some of the more beautiful boxes out there. Just for fun, I have to throw this in here. They are very similar but also very unique in their own way:

Old Posted Apr 4, 2013, 1:46 AM

Nice shots! Love seeing N.O. and those palm trees

Old Posted Apr 4, 2013, 10:27 PM
3rd Coast King

Quote:
Originally Posted by destroycreate View Post
Great thread.

I have to ask, am I the only one who gets a strange vibe from New Orleans/Louisiana in general? I don't mean in that in a good or bad way, I'm just so fascinated by the aesthetics of the city, geography, and overall feel. It's like nothing else I've ever seen in the US. Even the downtown CBD looks odd to me, as though I have nothing to compare it to.

I've always seen Louisiana as some mystical, hot, humid place full of secrets. Maybe I'm just weird.
You have to go there. NOLA has a vibe like no other place Ive ever been to. Good or bad it is an experience I would recommend to everyone. There's magic there.

My Book

Old Posted Apr 4, 2013, 11:08 PM
Ex Houstonian

That weird building which you said was one of the weirder looking boxes is believe it or not been abandoned for a long time. It's a pretty cool building as far as 60s buildings go.

Old Posted Apr 5, 2013, 12:24 AM
Selfie-stick vendor

Great set!

What's a-building in the first pic?

Old Posted Apr 5, 2013, 4:11 AM
BANNED

whoa! this is cool!

Old Posted Apr 5, 2013, 8:00 AM
♒︎ Empirically Canadian

There is so much joie de vivre to be found in this city,
I always enjoy a tour like this.

Old Posted Apr 16, 2013, 3:26 AM

Just wanted to say that NOONE here says "N'awlins" or any other two syllable version. In fact, it's perceived as negative and insulting here. "N'awlins" was contrived out of Hollywood. Why? I don't know. The way you hear it on the news is pretty much how it is said. New Or-linz. That said, it's only pronounced or-LEENZ as in "Orleans Parish" or "Orleans Ave." when there isn't a New in front... never ever pronounced New or-LEENZ (with the exception when it's necessary to make lyrics rhyme in music.)

Now that that is out the way, be sure to check out the Garden District and one of the most beautiful avenues in America, the six mile long St. Charles Ave. Magazine St. is a six-mile long strip of mixed-use development... it's fantastic.

Old Posted Apr 16, 2013, 5:21 AM
BANNED

I hope that house has a webcam in front.

Old Posted Apr 16, 2013, 7:21 AM
Babylon falling

Can't wait to get out there and wander around. I'm sure I will pick up on the mystical vibe others have described. Great thread Ryan.

Old Posted Apr 16, 2013, 6:15 PM
Fast. Fun. Frequent.

Thanks for all the kind words guys! I can't wait to get back out there!

Old Posted Apr 16, 2013, 7:14 PM

Quote:
Thanks man!

It was nice to see a taste of home in NOLA.. I love the simplicity in these towers and they are some of the more beautiful boxes out there. Just for fun, I have to throw this in here. They are very similar but also very unique in their own way:

Denver, New Orleans, Houston.

Old Posted Sep 15, 2013, 4:08 AM
Fast. Fun. Frequent.

I am reorganizing all of my photos, so I had to post a new set.. I also added around 50 more photos from the same trip that were not up here previously.

See the original post for the new set / new photos!

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Photography Forums > My City Photos