HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Texas & Southcentral > Austin

Old Posted Jul 22, 2014, 7:56 PM
Meh

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jdawgboy View Post
Okay so let me get this straight, they are making a big deal over a CVC that actually angles down so people can see it from Red River St.? That's just plain dumb and why does the sight line have to be so far down where it meets the Capitol? As long as you can see the dome then it shouldn't matter. The sight line should be raised up to the base of the dome, that alone would not only remove the intake facility out but may even remove the other building out as well.
The CVCs are predetermined based on the elevation above sea level of the Capitol dome and the location of the preserved view. To preserve the view, buildings must be shorter the closer they are to the location of the preserved view. This is why the sight line slopes downward. Buildings must not exceed the sea level elevation of the dome anywhere within that corridor.

So say you're a developer wanting to build a building within one of the CVCs. And let's say within that view corridor the base of the Capitol dome starts at 653 feet above sea level. You would need to determine the sea level elevation of your property before you started designing your project. The top of your building could not exceed 653 feet above sea level.

Here is a list of the CVCs with the sea level elevations of each.

http://www.statutes.legis.state.tx.u...tm/GV.3151.htm

Old Posted Oct 23, 2014, 4:16 PM

In today's City Council Meeting, Item 11:

Quote:
Authorize the negotiation and execution of a construction contract with OSCAR RENDA CONTRACTING for the Waller Creek Tunnel Project 8th Street Creek Side Inlet Facility Rebid in the amount of $5,213,382 plus a $260,670 contingency, for a total contract amount not to exceed $5,474,052.
This -might- be the intake rebuild.

Old Posted Oct 23, 2014, 4:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jngreenlee View Post
In today's City Council Meeting, Item 11:

This -might- be the intake rebuild.
I can't read the whole statesman story, but at least the second paragraph presents it as separate/additional/unrelated

http://www.mystatesman.com/news/news...nel-fea/nhqDc/

Old Posted Oct 23, 2014, 4:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Novacek View Post
I can't read the whole statesman story, but at least the second paragraph presents it as separate/additional/unrelated
You made a bingo. Picture worth a thousand words:

From the article:
Quote:
Meanwhile, the City Council is slated to decide Thursday whether to add a separate $5.2 million feature to the tunnel project. City staffers say that feature, an inlet at 8th Street, is not absolutely necessary but will help reduce flooding even more along Waller Creek.

Old Posted Oct 23, 2014, 4:54 PM

This inlet looks like corporate cronyism for Stubb's!!!

Also, the (not-quite) riverwalk features along that area are always interesting. Wonder what will happen to them.

Old Posted Oct 23, 2014, 5:35 PM

That area did flood pretty bad a few months back.

Old Posted Oct 23, 2014, 9:32 PM

http://austintexas.gov/council_meeti...tion_notes.cfm

Quote:
11 Authorize the negotiation and execution of a construction contract with OSCAR RENDA CONTRACTING for the Waller Creek Tunnel Project 8th Street Creek Side Inlet Facility Rebid in the amount of $5,213,382 plus a $260,670 contingency, for a total contract amount not to exceed $5,474,052.
APPROVED

Old Posted Apr 18, 2015, 12:58 AM

April 16, 2015

For reference, here's the initial rendering:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hill Country View Post
Here's the culprit in Waterloo Park:

http://www.statesman.com/news/news/l...othly-o/nW2Y5/

Old Posted Apr 18, 2015, 1:07 AM

Nice update. I noticed that the lake side of Waller Creek looks almost done also.

Old Posted Apr 18, 2015, 1:58 AM

The Parks and Recreation Board are scheduled to receive an update on the 21st of April. From the slides posted in the backup, it looks like they will be flooding the lagoon and removing the bulkhead any day now.

Also, note that they are using OverAustin's great drone imagery in their presentation.

Old Posted May 7, 2015, 9:40 PM

They flooded the tunnel and lagoon. Here's a before and after picture from user centennialg's thread on reddit:

Old Posted May 7, 2015, 11:00 PM

Man, they seriously need some "Don't swim here!" signs around that lagoon...

Old Posted May 7, 2015, 11:15 PM

Location: Austin -> San Antonio -> Columbia -> San Antonio -> Chicago -> Austin -> Denver
Quote:
Originally Posted by hookem View Post
Well, technically swimming isn't allowed anywhere on the river downtown, right?

Old Posted May 7, 2015, 11:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hookem View Post
I was thinking exactly the same thing. I wonder if this intake will be strong enough to create a whirlpool, and if so, will it be strong enough to suck a person or dog down threw it?

Old Posted May 7, 2015, 11:33 PM

Location: Austin -> San Antonio -> Columbia -> San Antonio -> Chicago -> Austin -> Denver
Is the intake lagoon filled yet?

Old Posted May 7, 2015, 11:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by the Genral View Post
I was thinking exactly the same thing. I wonder if this intake will be strong enough to create a whirlpool, and if so, will it be strong enough to suck a person or dog down threw it?
That's the out, not the in.

Old Posted May 8, 2015, 1:38 AM

Ok, I'm confused, a common occurrence in my older age. Where is the water return intake? I assumed this was
where they would get the water to pump back upstream, through this big hole. I guess I forgot the only time the tunnel would be used is in case of flood. Now that the lagoon is flooded, then the tunnel must be full and operational, in time for Memorial day. So how does all this water going down this huge hole not end up squirting back out the northern end of the tunnel?

Old Posted May 8, 2015, 1:57 AM

Quote:
Ok, I'm confused, a common occurrence in my older age. Where is the water return intake? I assumed this was
where they would get the water to pump back upstream, through this big hole. I guess I forgot the only time the tunnel would be used is in case of flood. Now that the lagoon is flooded, then the tunnel must be full and operational, in time for Memorial day. So how does all this water going down this huge hole not end up squirting back out the northern end of the tunnel?
It's kind-of both? The way the water return is supposed to work doesn't actually connect it all way to this lagoon. Instead, each of the three intake facilities upstream will have a water pump to return water from the bottom of the channel (so that they're only vertical shafts that pump water up, rather than vertical shafts that connect to a horizontal pump system). Because they'll be pretty distant from this lagoon, any current created in the lagoon to generate water flow upstream will be negligible.

Old Posted May 8, 2015, 3:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wwmiv View Post
It's kind-of both? The way the water return is supposed to work doesn't actually connect it all way to this lagoon. Instead, each of the three intake facilities upstream will have a water pump to return water from the bottom of the channel (so that they're only vertical shafts that pump water up, rather than vertical shafts that connect to a horizontal pump system). Because they'll be pretty distant from this lagoon, any current created in the lagoon to generate water flow upstream will be negligible.

Thanks wwmiv, your accurate explanation inspired me to find a drawing. I am no longer confused...about this at least...

Old Posted May 8, 2015, 3:27 AM

Quote:

Thanks wwmiv, your accurate explanation inspired me to find a drawing. I am no longer confused...about this at least, now, where did I leave the tv remote?...
Hmm. I thought there was a return pump after every intake, but it appears I'm mistaken. There's only one at the first intake facility. That might be a strategic mistake by the designers.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Texas & Southcentral > Austin