HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Photography Forums > General Photography

Old Posted Apr 26, 2007, 9:12 PM
Honored Member

Indiana Dunes Lakeshore, April 23, 2007

Lying along the southern tip of Lake Michigan, west of Michigan City, Indiana, Indiana Dunes National Lakeshore was established in 1966 after efforts by local activists that began in 1899. The first photos were taken at Central Beach, accessed off US 12 via a drive marked by two stone pylons.

The weather during my brief stopover was chilly and extremely windy, and the sky was typically overcast for this time of year.

The NIPSCO (Northern Indiana Public Service Company) coal-fired power plant at Michigan City

Your guess is as good as mine.

There was once a station where the South Shore rail line crosses this road. South Shore trains provide frequent service between South Bend / Michigan City and Chicago.

Indiana Dunes State Park offers good beaches, camping and picnic facilities and a nature center where Dune Creek flows into Lake Michigan, just west of Central Beach. Dune Park Station on the South Shore line is about a mile from the beach and campground via a trail and park roads.

The beach house at the state park was built in 1923 and is well maintained. It has a cafeteria and concessions that are open during the summer season.

Northwest Indiana's steel mills are visible west of the state park beaches.

Better than ever and always growing: [url=http://www.robertpence.com][b]My Photography Web Site[/b][/url]

Last edited by Robert Pence; Apr 26, 2007 at 9:20 PM.

Old Posted Apr 26, 2007, 9:30 PM
Honored Member

One more, if you please ...

S C R O L L > > > >

Better than ever and always growing: [url=http://www.robertpence.com][b]My Photography Web Site[/b][/url]

Old Posted Apr 26, 2007, 11:45 PM
arf

So post-apocalyptic industrial. So surreal. So disturbing. So cool. Great find rob_1412.

My guess is a shrine to lost virginity.

-- “We heal each other with kindness, gentleness and respect.” -- Richard Wagamese
-- “Unless someone like you cares a whole awful lot, Nothing is going to get better. It's not.” -- Dr. Seuss

Old Posted Apr 26, 2007, 11:49 PM
Meh

That is such an interesting place. Can't you see the Chicago skyline from there as well? Beautiful pictures, the clouds, the water, factories and the steam is interesting.

Old Posted Apr 27, 2007, 8:05 PM
Future God

Ahh i love the dunes. Trains, heavy industry, and prestine beaches...not exactly what one pictures when they think of Indiana.

-Bob Marley

Old Posted Apr 27, 2007, 8:41 PM
Honored Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by KevinFromTexas View Post
That is such an interesting place. Can't you see the Chicago skyline from there as well? Beautiful pictures, the clouds, the water, factories and the steam is interesting.
When the air over the lake is fairly clear, you can see the Chicago skyline from the Indiana Dunes. It would be a little farther to the right than the area covered in the last photo. It's pretty neat to watch from up in the dunes at dusk and see the lights begin to come on.

End

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Photography Forums > General Photography