HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum
     

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Ontario > Hamilton > Downtown & City of Hamilton

Reply

 
Thread Tools Display Modes
     
     
  #181  
Old Posted Sep 6, 2018, 12:13 AM
SteelTown's Avatar
SteelTown SteelTown is online now
It's Hammer Time
 
Join Date: Mar 2004
Location: Hamilton
Posts: 18,597




71 Rebecca St.

Sonoma Development Group Inc. plans a 30-storey mixed-use tower that some councillors say will be a new downtown landmark.

Designed by architect David Premi, the tower will be at 71 Rebecca St., a former bus terminal currently leased to Urban Core Community Healthcare. The old terminal will be demolished.

The project will be 30 storeys, to a maximum height of 97 metres. Originally, the developer wanted 40 storeys, Farr said, but city staff encouraged Sonoma to reduce that in light of the new downtown secondary plan. That plan says buildings can't be taller than the Niagara Escarpment.

"The design has very much got the potential of being a landmark downtown," Farr said.

Here's how it will measure up on the city's skyline:

Landmark Place: 43 storeys, 127 metres.
20/22 George St. condo tower (Vrancor, under construction): 32 storeys, 106 metres.
Stelco Tower: 25 storeys, 103 metres.
71 Rebecca: 30 storeys, 97 metres.
BDC building: 22 storeys, 91 metres.

https://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/hamil...ence-1.4809498
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #182  
Old Posted Sep 6, 2018, 12:28 PM
hamilton23 hamilton23 is online now
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2017
Location: Hamilton, ON
Posts: 359
Quote:
Originally Posted by SteelTown View Post




71 Rebecca St.

Sonoma Development Group Inc. plans a 30-storey mixed-use tower that some councillors say will be a new downtown landmark.

Designed by architect David Premi, the tower will be at 71 Rebecca St., a former bus terminal currently leased to Urban Core Community Healthcare. The old terminal will be demolished.

The project will be 30 storeys, to a maximum height of 97 metres. Originally, the developer wanted 40 storeys, Farr said, but city staff encouraged Sonoma to reduce that in light of the new downtown secondary plan. That plan says buildings can't be taller than the Niagara Escarpment.

"The design has very much got the potential of being a landmark downtown," Farr said.

Here's how it will measure up on the city's skyline:

Landmark Place: 43 storeys, 127 metres.
20/22 George St. condo tower (Vrancor, under construction): 32 storeys, 106 metres.
Stelco Tower: 25 storeys, 103 metres.
71 Rebecca: 30 storeys, 97 metres.
BDC building: 22 storeys, 91 metres.

https://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/hamil...ence-1.4809498
I'm excited for this project. The article doesn't make mention of Phase 3 of the Connaught though. It will be 36 storeys, making it the second tallest residential tower.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #183  
Old Posted Sep 6, 2018, 10:01 PM
thomax's Avatar
thomax thomax is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: May 2012
Location: Toronto
Posts: 4,647
HQ renderings pulled from the presentation PDF...


source


source
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #184  
Old Posted Sep 6, 2018, 11:01 PM
Davis137's Avatar
Davis137 Davis137 is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Posts: 1,990
It actually looks like a hybrid of both modern, and classic ultra-mod...if it ends up looking like those renders, it will be a nice neighbor to the CBD...
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #185  
Old Posted Sep 7, 2018, 1:08 AM
LRTfan LRTfan is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: May 2017
Posts: 545
ahhh looks much better seeing it in HQ.
The main thing I don't like is how perfectly symmetrical the podium is. I love that the 'waves' are all kinda random up the tower. Should be random on the podium too instead of looking cut/paste over and over
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #186  
Old Posted Sep 7, 2018, 1:27 AM
ScreamingViking's Avatar
ScreamingViking ScreamingViking is offline
Species: Homo Hamiltonus
 
Join Date: Jun 2013
Location: Burlington
Posts: 2,424
Despite the loss of 10 storeys, this will still be quite an addition to the skyline, and it's very different than anything else in town.

I still don't care for the "hat". Personally I think that square on top should have been removed, with a lower section given a couple of floors instead.

Still, extending the downtown tower-scape north-easterly is a nice shift. Hopefully more begins to happen in that deadzone of parking north of King William.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #187  
Old Posted Sep 7, 2018, 1:34 AM
LRTfan LRTfan is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: May 2017
Posts: 545
Quote:
Originally Posted by ScreamingViking View Post
Despite the loss of 10 storeys, this will still be quite an addition to the skyline, and it's very different than anything else in town.

I still don't care for the "hat". Personally I think that square on top should have been removed, with a lower section given a couple of floors instead.

Still, extending the downtown tower-scape north-easterly is a nice shift. Hopefully more begins to happen in that deadzone of parking north of King William.
agreed...it'll stand out nicely. The "hat" is the mechanical rooftop. New city design guidelines require mechanical penthouses to be completely screened, so we don't end up with eyesores like all the HVAC units sitting on top of the Royal Connaught addition.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #188  
Old Posted Sep 7, 2018, 1:47 AM
ScreamingViking's Avatar
ScreamingViking ScreamingViking is offline
Species: Homo Hamiltonus
 
Join Date: Jun 2013
Location: Burlington
Posts: 2,424
Quote:
Originally Posted by LRTfan View Post
agreed...it'll stand out nicely. The "hat" is the mechanical rooftop. New city design guidelines require mechanical penthouses to be completely screened, so we don't end up with eyesores like all the HVAC units sitting on top of the Royal Connaught addition.
If the square section was just mechanicals that would be ok, sitting on a larger rectangular top level. It's the two (three?) floors below it that don't really fit for me.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #189  
Old Posted Sep 7, 2018, 3:28 AM
anactualalien's Avatar
anactualalien anactualalien is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: May 2017
Posts: 79
The podium looks much better at 6 storeys. I didn't really see the point of the led "screen". Wonder what the name will be? The Zebra? The Birch?
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #190  
Old Posted Sep 7, 2018, 4:48 AM
TheRitsman TheRitsman is online now
Registered User
 
Join Date: Sep 2017
Location: Hamilton
Posts: 235
Quote:
Originally Posted by anactualalien View Post
The podium looks much better at 6 storeys. I didn't really see the point of the led "screen". Wonder what the name will be? The Zebra? The Birch?
Ouu I like "The Birch".

Unless they had a specific and beneficial plan for the LED board, I agree. They seemed to just have the LED panel "just because" to be used for "stuff".
__________________
McMaster University Graduate Political Science, Minor in Geography.

My goal is to improve my community, the transit we use to get around it, and the health and happiness of everyone in it, and I realize these are all interconnected.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #191  
Old Posted Sep 7, 2018, 6:16 AM
Chronamut's Avatar
Chronamut Chronamut is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Sep 2013
Location: Hamilton
Posts: 1,058
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheRitsman View Post
Ouu I like "The Birch".

Unless they had a specific and beneficial plan for the LED board, I agree. They seemed to just have the LED panel "just because" to be used for "stuff".
They did have a plan for it - the plan was for people to be able to watch movies on it in the park.

Also what are the "waves" going to be made out of? Metal? Plastic? I am quite interested in that as they appear to be seamless..

i love how so much of this building feels "sculpted" - I want to see more of that kind of design in the city.
__________________
Hamilton Artist: http://ShawnDall.com
Listen to the music I make: Newest Song
East Coast Ormus: http://east-coast-ormuseco.myshopify.com
Chron Online Riddle: http://www.chronriddles.com
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #192  
Old Posted Sep 7, 2018, 2:48 PM
thomax's Avatar
thomax thomax is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: May 2012
Location: Toronto
Posts: 4,647
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chronamut View Post
Also what are the "waves" going to be made out of? Metal? Plastic? I am quite interested in that as they appear to be seamless..
Most likely panels of white perforated metal and glazing, similar to Mississauga's 'The Arc'...


Urban Toronto

You can see it here on the left, around the seventh floor...

Urban Toronto


Urban Toronto
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #193  
Old Posted Sep 7, 2018, 3:21 PM
hamilton23 hamilton23 is online now
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2017
Location: Hamilton, ON
Posts: 359
Quote:
Originally Posted by thomax View Post
Most likely panels of white perforated metal and glazing, similar to Mississauga's 'The Arc'...


Urban Toronto

You can see it here on the left, around the seventh floor...

Urban Toronto


Urban Toronto

Check out Harbour Plaza in Toronto as well. That building has a similar design.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #194  
Old Posted Sep 7, 2018, 10:03 PM
Chronamut's Avatar
Chronamut Chronamut is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Sep 2013
Location: Hamilton
Posts: 1,058
ah cool - thanks!

Harbour plaza doesn't appear to be QUITE the same type of design - its balconies jut out at diagonal angles it looks like..

__________________
Hamilton Artist: http://ShawnDall.com
Listen to the music I make: Newest Song
East Coast Ormus: http://east-coast-ormuseco.myshopify.com
Chron Online Riddle: http://www.chronriddles.com
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #195  
Old Posted Sep 8, 2018, 1:28 AM
LRTfan LRTfan is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: May 2017
Posts: 545
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chronamut View Post
ah cool - thanks!

Harbour plaza doesn't appear to be QUITE the same type of design - its balconies jut out at diagonal angles it looks like..


I absolutely love this complex. So sad that Hamilton will never see such things.
Edmonton just got their new tallest at 830 feet, soon to be eclipsed by another new tallest at 950 feet.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #196  
Old Posted Sep 8, 2018, 4:01 AM
HamiltonForward's Avatar
HamiltonForward HamiltonForward is offline
For the Forward City.
 
Join Date: Jun 2017
Location: Hamilton
Posts: 225
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chronamut View Post
ah cool - thanks!

Harbour plaza doesn't appear to be QUITE the same type of design - its balconies jut out at diagonal angles it looks like..

I believe Harbour Plaza was mentioned due to it's unusual metal balconies.


And LRTfan, I totally agree. Harbour Plaza is a gorgeous project and it's a shame we'll never see anything of that height or that design here.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #197  
Old Posted Sep 8, 2018, 1:06 PM
King&James's Avatar
King&James King&James is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Mar 2013
Location: Hamilton
Posts: 470
Never is a long time. Lets see what happens with Secondary Plan appeal and the TV City OMB show.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #198  
Old Posted Sep 8, 2018, 6:26 PM
Chronamut's Avatar
Chronamut Chronamut is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Sep 2013
Location: Hamilton
Posts: 1,058
Quote:
Originally Posted by King&James View Post
Never is a long time. Lets see what happens with Secondary Plan appeal and the TV City OMB show.
Let's also remember that hamilton isn't just reserved to what is at the base of the escarpment - there is nothing saying these buildings can't be built on TOP of the escarpment as well.
__________________
Hamilton Artist: http://ShawnDall.com
Listen to the music I make: Newest Song
East Coast Ormus: http://east-coast-ormuseco.myshopify.com
Chron Online Riddle: http://www.chronriddles.com
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #199  
Old Posted Sep 9, 2018, 12:31 AM
davidcappi's Avatar
davidcappi davidcappi is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Oct 2013
Posts: 1,792
I love the harbour plaza towers but the podium structure is one of the worst in Toronto, and does nothing to enhance the southcore's streetscape. The towers are lovely though. Architects Alliance does such nice modern buildings. No ornament; just super crispy details.
Reply With Quote
     
     
End
 
 
Reply

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Ontario > Hamilton > Downtown & City of Hamilton
Forum Jump


Thread Tools
Display Modes

Forum Jump


All times are GMT. The time now is 5:11 PM.

     

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2018, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.