HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Ontario > Hamilton > Downtown & City of Hamilton

Old Posted Sep 6, 2018, 12:13 AM
It's Hammer Time

71 Rebecca St.

Sonoma Development Group Inc. plans a 30-storey mixed-use tower that some councillors say will be a new downtown landmark.

Designed by architect David Premi, the tower will be at 71 Rebecca St., a former bus terminal currently leased to Urban Core Community Healthcare. The old terminal will be demolished.

The project will be 30 storeys, to a maximum height of 97 metres. Originally, the developer wanted 40 storeys, Farr said, but city staff encouraged Sonoma to reduce that in light of the new downtown secondary plan. That plan says buildings can't be taller than the Niagara Escarpment.

"The design has very much got the potential of being a landmark downtown," Farr said.

Here's how it will measure up on the city's skyline:

Landmark Place: 43 storeys, 127 metres.
20/22 George St. condo tower (Vrancor, under construction): 32 storeys, 106 metres.
Stelco Tower: 25 storeys, 103 metres.
71 Rebecca: 30 storeys, 97 metres.
BDC building: 22 storeys, 91 metres.

https://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/hamil...ence-1.4809498

Old Posted Sep 6, 2018, 12:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SteelTown View Post

71 Rebecca St.

Sonoma Development Group Inc. plans a 30-storey mixed-use tower that some councillors say will be a new downtown landmark.

Designed by architect David Premi, the tower will be at 71 Rebecca St., a former bus terminal currently leased to Urban Core Community Healthcare. The old terminal will be demolished.

The project will be 30 storeys, to a maximum height of 97 metres. Originally, the developer wanted 40 storeys, Farr said, but city staff encouraged Sonoma to reduce that in light of the new downtown secondary plan. That plan says buildings can't be taller than the Niagara Escarpment.

"The design has very much got the potential of being a landmark downtown," Farr said.

Here's how it will measure up on the city's skyline:

Landmark Place: 43 storeys, 127 metres.
20/22 George St. condo tower (Vrancor, under construction): 32 storeys, 106 metres.
Stelco Tower: 25 storeys, 103 metres.
71 Rebecca: 30 storeys, 97 metres.
BDC building: 22 storeys, 91 metres.

https://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/hamil...ence-1.4809498
I'm excited for this project. The article doesn't make mention of Phase 3 of the Connaught though. It will be 36 storeys, making it the second tallest residential tower.

Old Posted Sep 6, 2018, 10:01 PM

HQ renderings pulled from the presentation PDF...

source

source

Old Posted Sep 6, 2018, 11:01 PM

It actually looks like a hybrid of both modern, and classic ultra-mod...if it ends up looking like those renders, it will be a nice neighbor to the CBD...

Old Posted Sep 7, 2018, 1:08 AM

ahhh looks much better seeing it in HQ.
The main thing I don't like is how perfectly symmetrical the podium is. I love that the 'waves' are all kinda random up the tower. Should be random on the podium too instead of looking cut/paste over and over

Old Posted Sep 7, 2018, 1:27 AM
Species: Homo Hamiltonus

Despite the loss of 10 storeys, this will still be quite an addition to the skyline, and it's very different than anything else in town.

I still don't care for the "hat". Personally I think that square on top should have been removed, with a lower section given a couple of floors instead.

Still, extending the downtown tower-scape north-easterly is a nice shift. Hopefully more begins to happen in that deadzone of parking north of King William.

Old Posted Sep 7, 2018, 1:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ScreamingViking View Post
Despite the loss of 10 storeys, this will still be quite an addition to the skyline, and it's very different than anything else in town.

I still don't care for the "hat". Personally I think that square on top should have been removed, with a lower section given a couple of floors instead.

Still, extending the downtown tower-scape north-easterly is a nice shift. Hopefully more begins to happen in that deadzone of parking north of King William.
agreed...it'll stand out nicely. The "hat" is the mechanical rooftop. New city design guidelines require mechanical penthouses to be completely screened, so we don't end up with eyesores like all the HVAC units sitting on top of the Royal Connaught addition.

Old Posted Sep 7, 2018, 1:47 AM
Species: Homo Hamiltonus

Quote:
Originally Posted by LRTfan View Post
agreed...it'll stand out nicely. The "hat" is the mechanical rooftop. New city design guidelines require mechanical penthouses to be completely screened, so we don't end up with eyesores like all the HVAC units sitting on top of the Royal Connaught addition.
If the square section was just mechanicals that would be ok, sitting on a larger rectangular top level. It's the two (three?) floors below it that don't really fit for me.

Old Posted Sep 7, 2018, 3:28 AM

The podium looks much better at 6 storeys. I didn't really see the point of the led "screen". Wonder what the name will be? The Zebra? The Birch?

Old Posted Sep 7, 2018, 4:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by anactualalien View Post
The podium looks much better at 6 storeys. I didn't really see the point of the led "screen". Wonder what the name will be? The Zebra? The Birch?
Ouu I like "The Birch".

Unless they had a specific and beneficial plan for the LED board, I agree. They seemed to just have the LED panel "just because" to be used for "stuff".

My goal is to improve my community, the transit we use to get around it, and the health and happiness of everyone in it, and I realize these are all interconnected.

Old Posted Sep 7, 2018, 6:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheRitsman View Post
Ouu I like "The Birch".

Unless they had a specific and beneficial plan for the LED board, I agree. They seemed to just have the LED panel "just because" to be used for "stuff".
They did have a plan for it - the plan was for people to be able to watch movies on it in the park.

Also what are the "waves" going to be made out of? Metal? Plastic? I am quite interested in that as they appear to be seamless..

i love how so much of this building feels "sculpted" - I want to see more of that kind of design in the city.
Chron Online Riddle: http://www.chronriddles.com

Old Posted Sep 7, 2018, 2:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chronamut View Post
Also what are the "waves" going to be made out of? Metal? Plastic? I am quite interested in that as they appear to be seamless..
Most likely panels of white perforated metal and glazing, similar to Mississauga's 'The Arc'...

Urban Toronto

You can see it here on the left, around the seventh floor...

Urban Toronto

Urban Toronto

Old Posted Sep 7, 2018, 3:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by thomax View Post
Most likely panels of white perforated metal and glazing, similar to Mississauga's 'The Arc'...

Urban Toronto

You can see it here on the left, around the seventh floor...

Urban Toronto

Urban Toronto

Check out Harbour Plaza in Toronto as well. That building has a similar design.

Old Posted Sep 7, 2018, 10:03 PM

ah cool - thanks!

Harbour plaza doesn't appear to be QUITE the same type of design - its balconies jut out at diagonal angles it looks like..

Old Posted Sep 8, 2018, 1:28 AM

Quote:
ah cool - thanks!

Harbour plaza doesn't appear to be QUITE the same type of design - its balconies jut out at diagonal angles it looks like..

I absolutely love this complex. So sad that Hamilton will never see such things.
Edmonton just got their new tallest at 830 feet, soon to be eclipsed by another new tallest at 950 feet.

Old Posted Sep 8, 2018, 4:01 AM
For the Forward City.

Quote:
ah cool - thanks!

I believe Harbour Plaza was mentioned due to it's unusual metal balconies.

And LRTfan, I totally agree. Harbour Plaza is a gorgeous project and it's a shame we'll never see anything of that height or that design here.

Old Posted Sep 8, 2018, 1:06 PM

Never is a long time. Lets see what happens with Secondary Plan appeal and the TV City OMB show.

Old Posted Sep 8, 2018, 6:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by King&James View Post
Never is a long time. Lets see what happens with Secondary Plan appeal and the TV City OMB show.
Let's also remember that hamilton isn't just reserved to what is at the base of the escarpment - there is nothing saying these buildings can't be built on TOP of the escarpment as well.

Old Posted Sep 9, 2018, 12:31 AM

I love the harbour plaza towers but the podium structure is one of the worst in Toronto, and does nothing to enhance the southcore's streetscape. The towers are lovely though. Architects Alliance does such nice modern buildings. No ornament; just super crispy details.

End

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Ontario > Hamilton > Downtown & City of Hamilton