HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Ontario > Hamilton > Downtown & City of Hamilton

Old Posted Jul 13, 2018, 8:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LRTfan View Post
one of the great things about living in Hamilton as design/development junkies is the plethora of gold being pumped out constantly in Toronto these days. It's awesome to visit regularly and see the amazing new architecture and design standards. Being a realist, I have no expectation that Hamilton will shake off the small-town 1970's mindset in my lifetime, so TO gives me my big city fix.

However, for a Hamilton connection to the latest, greatest announcement in TO, this new tower proposal on Yonge involves the firm behind the Corktown Plaza redevelopment here.

https://twitter.com/mikejcw/status/1015357517529075712

Nice to see some seriously legit builders/developers like these folks and Lamb Dev poking around in Hamilton.

That new TO proposal....WOW
sigh.. I wish people would build more buildings here that weren't square.. it's nice to see innovative design..
Chron Online Riddle: http://www.chronriddles.com

Old Posted Jul 14, 2018, 3:41 AM
Species: Homo Hamiltonus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chronamut View Post
sigh.. I wish people would build more buildings here that weren't square.. it's nice to see innovative design..
Harry's tried to propose some. Is that worth anything?

I agree though. Even the ones we have are not very spectacular... the Olympia, the Commerce Place towers. Currently, Vranich seems to be our only hope, depending how his new one on George St. turns out.

Old Posted Jul 16, 2018, 4:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ScreamingViking View Post
Harry's tried to propose some. Is that worth anything?

I agree though. Even the ones we have are not very spectacular... the Olympia, the Commerce Place towers. Currently, Vranich seems to be our only hope, depending how his new one on George St. turns out.
It's worth about as much as his reputation lol..

It just seems like a lot of these proposals aren't very.. inventive..
Chron Online Riddle: http://www.chronriddles.com

Old Posted Sep 2, 2018, 4:39 PM

I live in The Olympia... I can not wait for this proposal to get built! Corktown is generally a great and safe area but that plaza hosts quite a bit of riff raff especially late at night and we're pretty under-serviced by retail in this area so I'm really hoping that podium will house a decent grocery store even if it's a mini or express version of a supermarket and some other great retail and restaurants.

EDIT: Also with the massive Metro City Condo project on the corner of John & Charlton my little sleepy corner of the city is about to get very busy & exciting!

Old Posted Sep 20, 2018, 2:11 AM
For the Forward City.

Get your emails ready and brace yourself for the NIMBYs...

Old Posted Oct 5, 2018, 11:46 PM
For the Forward City.

Old Posted Oct 6, 2018, 12:21 AM

Pathetic.

Old Posted Oct 6, 2018, 12:32 AM
For the Forward City.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hawrylyshyn View Post
Pathetic.
I agree.

I'm currently writing up a statement in response to this. We are in an extreme housing shortage and a developer comes along with the most well-rounded and professional project we've seen in years and the city still finds major issues.

Unacceptable and disheartening.

Old Posted Oct 6, 2018, 1:00 AM

Is this project even going above the escarpment?

Regardless of the fact that it’s a dumb rule/regulation..

Old Posted Oct 6, 2018, 1:19 AM
For the Forward City.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hawrylyshyn View Post
Is this project even going above the escarpment?

Regardless of the fact that it’s a dumb rule/regulation..
One tower is 1 storey above the escarpment and the other is 4 storeys above the escarpment.

Also, in closer reading of the DRP report, they suggest a 3.5-5.0 FSI (floor space area) which would effectively allow either a 5 storey midrise covering the entire site, or one 34 storey tower on just 1/7th of the site.

Old Posted Oct 6, 2018, 2:16 AM

the DRP says everything is too tall and too dense. Who cares.

There's NO such thing as 'too dense' in the heart of an urban downtown. 100 stories wouldn't be too dense. It's a city.

Old Posted Oct 6, 2018, 4:50 PM

Old Posted Oct 6, 2018, 8:07 PM

So good....it's a shame our city is run by folks more suited to Tillsonburg... this is an awesome project. Every city in the country would absolutely welcome and love this project in their downtown. But stagnant old Hamilton is stagnant for a reason

Old Posted Oct 9, 2018, 4:58 PM

The report summary reads as follows "the panel commends the design team on a comprehensive submission package, it is clear that a lot of thought and effort went into the proposal. As the development will be precedent setting, it is important that it adequately transitions to its surroundings and fits into the fabric of the existing community. The panel notes that opening up the development with more intentional mid-block connections, expanding and programming the public spaces at the ground level, enhancing the streetscape, and refining the building mass to align with the City of Hamilton’s Tall Building Guidelines will help to reduce the shadow impacts and create a more livable and vibrant community"

Old Posted Oct 9, 2018, 8:02 PM

There's already some pretty large apartment building on Forest nearby. This is way better use of space than the existing craptastic strip mall. Plus it is really close to the GO station. And the tax revenue from it will be great versus the services it will consume.

Old Posted Oct 9, 2018, 8:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by drpgq View Post
There's already some pretty large apartment building on Forest nearby. This is way better use of space than the existing craptastic strip mall. Plus it is really close to the GO station. And the tax revenue from it will be great versus the services it will consume.
This development would likely generate $1 million+ tax revenue per year. How a city as cash starved as Hamilton would turn this down, I have no idea. My hope is that this development gets quickly shortened by 3 storeys each, then approved. It can't happen soon enough. With this massive joke of an LRT debate going on this election, business and residents are going to feel a bit more unsure about locating in Hamilton.

My goal is to improve my community, the transit we use to get around it, and the health and happiness of everyone in it, and I realize these are all interconnected.

Old Posted Oct 12, 2018, 7:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheRitsman View Post
This development would likely generate $1 million+ tax revenue per year. How a city as cash starved as Hamilton would turn this down, I have no idea. My hope is that this development gets quickly shortened by 3 storeys each, then approved. It can't happen soon enough. With this massive joke of an LRT debate going on this election, business and residents are going to feel a bit more unsure about locating in Hamilton.
Every city has a set of rules when it comes to building. You can either submit a proposal outside of said rules, get rejected and replan and re-submit a proposal, or you can just follow the rules the city has in place, to begin with, and your project would very likely get approved.

They can still keep the same aesthetic of the renderings at a lower height.

Old Posted Oct 13, 2018, 1:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hamilton23 View Post
Every city has a set of rules when it comes to building. You can either submit a proposal outside of said rules, get rejected and replan and re-submit a proposal, or you can just follow the rules the city has in place, to begin with, and your project would very likely get approved.

They can still keep the same aesthetic of the renderings at a lower height.

Hamilton just threw a huge new 'rule' at developers out of thin air just to appease the NIMBYs in Durand. I fully support cities having rules to demand great design, and I fully support developers pushing back on NIMBY rules with zero basis or need.

Old Posted Oct 13, 2018, 1:59 AM
For the Forward City.

Quote:
Originally Posted by LRTfan View Post
Hamilton just threw a huge new 'rule' at developers out of thin air just to appease the NIMBYs in Durand. I fully support cities having rules to demand great design, and I fully support developers pushing back on NIMBY rules with zero basis or need.
If the DRP existed to promote good design they'd have said the mechanical penthouse should be raised/reworked to cover the elevator mechanical box. They're no more than an extra NIMBY step in the planning process right now.

End

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Ontario > Hamilton > Downtown & City of Hamilton