HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > City Compilations

Old Posted Jul 3, 2018, 8:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cecilism View Post
That thing looks a mess. No need for any man to bring himself down for that. I'm glad they had enough sense not to replicate that thing in Nashville or any other city for that matter. It's been completed for two years now. Looking at it, I can see why I haven't seen any men crying about it.
Totally agree! Adding insult to injury, it's completely misplaced in tribeca. Frankly, it reminds me of a young kid who hasn't yet figured out how to stack his blocks properly.

Old Posted Jul 3, 2018, 8:52 PM
Brooklyn/Philly/Nashvegas

Quote:
Originally Posted by PillowTalk4 View Post
One building that stands out in the Tribeca area close to the west side is 56 Leonard Tower. It's designed to look like rectangular modules stacked on top of each other but not lined up symmetrically.

https://www.google.com/search?q=56+l...ih=719#imgrc=_
We have a couple of Jenga buildings, the one in TriBeCa, and one in Jersey City that's slated to become triplets...

https://jerseydigs.com/jersey-city-u...r-square-foot/

Last edited by FtGreeneNY; Jul 4, 2018 at 4:29 AM.

Old Posted Jul 4, 2018, 12:41 AM
Nashville born and raised

Funny you should bring up this subject on that particular style of architecture.

This just showed up on the radar as a serious proposal….

EDIT: This is the latest rendering and details. Just released a few days ago. (A little color enhancement on my part)

Last edited by MidTenn1; Jul 5, 2018 at 1:55 PM.

Old Posted Jul 4, 2018, 1:58 AM

And the W Hotel has a start date announced. A fall 2020 opening is projected.
This will be an awesome addition to the Gulch.

Old Posted Jul 4, 2018, 4:20 AM

There is so much new development proposed for the south Gulch, I was not able to show it all on this card...there is also a 16 story hotel on the 12th and McGavock project that would be hidden behind other buildings in this view.

I have few doubts that all these will happen with four starting this year.

Old Posted Jul 5, 2018, 4:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Texcitement View Post
Totally agree! Adding insult to injury, it's completely misplaced in tribeca. Frankly, it reminds me of a young kid who hasn't yet figured out how to stack his blocks properly.
Clearly that's a matter of opinion. I happen to like the building quite a bit. I will say it was hard finding a picture that did it justice. I think it looks far better in person than in those renderings and photos I provided a link to. I'm not sure why it's misplaced in Tribeca. That area is pretty artsy and follows a vibe of its own. This building fits both to me. Maybe the architect was indeed trying to play with the idea of a kid trying to figure out how to stack blocks. Maybe he was playing Jenga and was amazed with the concept of balance that comes from the imbalanced placement of objects. Whatever his motivation, it is a building that draws quite a bit of discussion. From the discussions I participated in and overheard most people were intrigued with the building and most liked it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by FtGreeneNY View Post
We have a couple of Jenga buildings, the one in TriBeCa, and one in Jersey City that's slated to become triplets...

https://jerseydigs.com/jersey-city-u...r-square-foot/
I was recently in NYC and attended an evening event held on one of Hornblower Cruise boats that leaves out from Pier 40 on the west side of NYC. The cruise first went up the Hudson a bit across from Hoboken. Then it turned south and went down the Hudson to the end of Manhattan then took a turn to go up the East River between the Manhattan Bridge and the Williamsburg Bridge. To say the least there were just so many spectacular sites of both the New York City (Manhattan/Brooklyn) and various New Jersey (Hoboken/Jersey City) skylines. Brooklyn and Jersey City are just off the chain with growth right now. Absolutely amazing what is happening in both areas. Jersey City's skyline is growing more and more impressive each and every time I see it. I really like how the Jersey skyline compliments lower Manhattan. I often stay in Jersey City because the hotel rates are generally less expensive and I can hop on the Path. I really wish developers in Nashville would really take a look at the buildings going up in Jersey City. The developers there seem to be creating a very distinctive skyline that isn't competing with lower Manhattan but like I said complimenting. I'd like to see the same thing in Nashville in relation to the CBD and Midtown. Especially as you transition from the CBD to Midtown. I'd really love to see that happen on the East Bank in Nashville as well.

Old Posted Jul 5, 2018, 4:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MidTenn1 View Post
Funny you should bring up this subject on that particular style of architecture.

This just showed up on the radar as a serious proposal….

EDIT: This is the latest rendering and details. Just released a few days ago. (A little color enhancement on my part)
Seems fitting for the Gulch. I hope the North Gulch doesn't become too conservative in its architecture. But I suspect the Capitol sitting high over the North Gulch might keep developers a bit more tamed... LOL

Old Posted Jul 13, 2018, 3:14 AM

Another Tower Crane UP

I watched the yellow tower crane go up this week for the Hyatt Regancy across Broadway from Union Station. My office (Gulch Crossing) looks to be in a steel forest soon.

Old Posted Jul 13, 2018, 2:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Baronakim View Post
I watched the yellow tower crane go up this week for the Hyatt Regancy across Broadway from Union Station. My office (Gulch Crossing) looks to be in a steel forest soon.
It will have the second largest amount of rooms in Nashville.

And there could be at least four more cranes (buildings) in your immediate neighborhood within a few months.

Old Posted Jul 17, 2018, 3:52 AM

My card showing renderings released today of a nice development in the SoBro district, a few blocks from the convention center....as per the Nashville Post.

LC did a nice project in the Germantown district north of downtown. They do like to use durable materials with a lot of fine architectural detail.

The 10 story building part of the development has not been publicly scheduled. Soil boring equipment reported to be on the site a few months ago was apparently there for these two buildings also.

Old Posted Jul 18, 2018, 3:19 AM

The Commissioner of Baseball, Rob Manfred, has listed Nashville among several cities as possible expansion candidates.

Per the TENNESSEAN

Quote:
Major League Baseball commissioner Rob Manfred on Tuesday mentioned Nashville among a short list of possible expansion cities as the league explores growing from 30 teams to 32
...….

"We have a real list of cities that I think are not only interested in having baseball, but are viable in terms of baseball — places like Portland (Ore.), Las Vegas, Charlotte, (N.C.), Nashville in the United States, certainly Montreal, maybe Vancouver, in Canada. We think there's places in Mexico we could go over the long haul."
…...

A timeline for possible expansion is unclear, nor has it been decided if the league will expand.
I'm not sure the City would receive such an invite very enthusiastically. There are numerous issues regarding the MLS Stadium and very possibly, a discussion on what to do about Nissan (Titans) Stadium in a few years.

I'm just passing along an intriguing bit of news and don't wish to have a 'why my city will get one' discussion on this thread, please. A discussion as to whether Nashville could make it happen may be appropriate.

Edit... There is this discussion going on in City Discussions Thread

Old Posted Jul 19, 2018, 11:21 AM

They want to be in Nashville bad. Just like Major League Soccer did, which is why when Nashville threw its hat into the ring all of the other cities where fighting for only one expansion spot instead of two.

Major League Baseball knows that Nashville would raise their league's profile immensely. That is why they are throwing Nashville's name out there. They want Nashville to pursue an expansion team. It would be just like Major League Soccer where Nashville would have a lock on one of the teams and all of the other cities were fighting for the one remaining expansion team.

Last edited by cecilism; Jul 19, 2018 at 11:32 AM.

Old Posted Jul 19, 2018, 4:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cecilism View Post
They want to be in Nashville bad. Just like Major League Soccer did, which is why when Nashville threw its hat into the ring all of the other cities where fighting for only one expansion spot instead of two.

Major League Baseball knows that Nashville would raise their league's profile immensely. That is why they are throwing Nashville's name out there. They want Nashville to pursue an expansion team. It would be just like Major League Soccer where Nashville would have a lock on one of the teams and all of the other cities were fighting for the one remaining expansion team.
I'm not sure being in Nashville would raise MLB's profile immensely, but it would certainly help to expand the brand in the south a lot more. Keep in mind Atlanta, Miami and Tampa Bay are the only southeastern cities with MLB franchises. Florida is always treated separately from the rest of the southeast because its population is much bigger than any other and culturally it's different than the rest of the southeast. So, in essence that leaves Atlanta as the only franchise one can say is in the heart of the southeast. Nashville and Charlotte are both cities that are growing consistently in population and economically. Which is why they are on the list. The NFL has benefited by having teams in both Charlotte and Nashville. Atlanta was considered the de facto capital of sports in the south, but with the NFL, NBA and NHL all expanding into other southern cities with success, it's increased fan support for those sports in the south.

I would think that MLB has to look at how fan support for the Titans spans not only throughout Tennessee but into Alabama, Arkansas, Georgia, Kentucky, Mississippi and even parts of Virginia. The same goes for the Panthers support expanding into multiple states. So, instead of there being one team that a few fans supported. The NFL now has multiple teams in the south that are supported by a greater number of fans. I would say that Nashville is also appealing because of the high level of tourism. Baseball is one of those sports that people will go see a game when traveling. Primarily because of all the day games during the week. It because a thing for people to add to their list of things to do when traveling to a city with a MLB team.

I think baseball is a good fit for Nashville. But I would so prefer an NBA team. It would be a lot easier for Nashville to take on an NBA team than baseball right now because of the stadium issue. But, if they could pull off building a stadium for MLB, I say go for it.

Was the sounds stadium built with possibility of expansion if necessary? And, what happens in cities with minor league teams that are awarded a MLB franchise? Do the minor league teams have to relocate?

Old Posted Jul 21, 2018, 8:26 AM

Double post...

Last edited by MidTenn1; Sep 4, 2018 at 2:34 AM.

Old Posted Jul 21, 2018, 9:05 AM

Another spec office building under way(?) per reports on other blogs and the NASHVILLE POST

The reports say that the Nashville Yards investors have begun infrastructure work on the western edge of the 15 acre development which is proposed to include an apartment building and a couple of office buildings. However marketing materials (no link) say the 10 story office building is 'under construction'.

There are a couple of office buildings underway or planned to start soon in the downtown/SoBro/Gulch areas that are purely spec buildings. No tenants are known to have been signed up (the 20 story Nashville Union Building in the Gulch to start in a few weeks is the other).

The Hyatt Regency is well underway, so the office building would be the second start of the billion dollar Nashville Yards project.

Old Posted Jul 21, 2018, 9:59 AM

The current Nashville Office Building pipeline.

Some have tenants and some are purely spec. That's about 198 total floors of offices, which would make four impressive buildings. Oh well, more infill.

Old Posted Jul 21, 2018, 12:28 PM
Closed account

Quote:
It will have the second largest amount of rooms in Nashville.

And there could be at least four more cranes (buildings) in your immediate neighborhood within a few months.

Actually, the Hyatt will have the 4th largest amount of rooms according to the below list.

https://www.bizjournals.com/nashvill...nashville.html

The combined Embassy-Curio will have the 3rd largest amount (at 721 currently).

Old Posted Jul 21, 2018, 5:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by skyscraperpage17 View Post
Actually, the Hyatt will have the 4th largest amount of rooms according to the below list.

https://www.bizjournals.com/nashvill...nashville.html

The combined Embassy-Curio will have the 3rd largest amount (at 721 currently).
You are correct. They did promote themselves as having the second most rooms, I seem to recall, but those stats say otherwise. They may have not considered the Opryland Hotel as it is not downtown. And I never would have thought the Renaissance was that large.

Still, it's a big hotel.

Old Posted Jul 21, 2018, 6:51 PM

My mistake. Not on page 155 yet. No bump necessary.

Last edited by MidTenn1; Jul 22, 2018 at 11:45 PM. Reason: Per Comments below

Old Posted Jul 22, 2018, 10:12 PM

oops

Quote:
Just bumping to new page.
Hope this jumped to the new page.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > City Compilations