HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Alberta & British Columbia > Calgary > General Discussions, Culture, Dining, Sports & Recreation

Old Posted Jan 12, 2013, 5:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by freeweed View Post
To be fair, the same perception exists about young straight men - "you have to like her, she has boobs".

I do find it a fair bit funnier when people use it towards gay men though. As if every time a group of them hang out together (say, at work, or doing any sort of activity where men congregate) a spontaneous orgy will just break out. I mean, they're all gay and stuff, righ
t?
To be fair, I have seen some videos on the internet where this happens with a group of lesbians

Old Posted Jan 14, 2013, 12:51 AM
ARTchitecture

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rusty van Reddick View Post
Gay people aren't interchangeable... I got this a lot in college- "but you have to like him, you're both gay!" The fact that there are "gay people nearby" would have always been irrelevant for me because then as now I am actually attracted to maybe 1% of gay men.
Exactly. Every single person in my hometown thought it was like "Hey you're both gay so you should date"... uhm... I don't know if people realize but gay men are pretty much the most picky people in the world, and most masculine dudes can't stand the flamey ones, at least romantically.

Mohkínstsis — 1.6 million people at the Foothills of the Rocky Mountains, 400 high-rises, a 300-metre SE to NW climb, over 1000 kilometres of pathways, with 20% of the urban area as parkland.

Old Posted Jan 14, 2013, 4:22 AM
Home of Hyperchange

Wait, what? You mean every gay couple doesn't consist of an incredibly masculine macho man, with a completely flaming feminine girly type?

Did Hollywood lie? Shit, it sure made it easier to figure out who wore the white dress at the wedding in dem movies.

Old Posted Jan 14, 2013, 4:38 AM

I wasn't suggesting gay people would automatically get together if they could only find each other, I just meant, having an app like that would make it easier to find other gay guys if you weren't into the bar scene.

Interesting, only 1%? Are gay men pickier in general? I'm probably attracted to at least 20% of women within 10 years of my age. don't know if that's the same for all hetero men.

Quote:
Gay people aren't interchangeable... I got this a lot in college- "but you have to like him, you're both gay!" The fact that there are "gay people nearby" would have always been irrelevant for me because then as now I am actually attracted to maybe 1% of gay men.

There are tons of apps and mobile sites. grindr, growlr, guyspy, even one for WP7/8 called- I kid not- bender. Then there are mobile versions of gay.com, bearwww.com, bear411.com, pretty much every gay chat/personals site.

Last edited by Deepstar; Jan 14, 2013 at 4:49 AM.

Old Posted Jan 14, 2013, 4:54 AM
Ach, du.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deepstar View Post
I wasn't suggesting gay people would automatically get together if they could only find each other, I just meant, having an app like that would make it easier to find other gay guys if you weren't into the bar scene.

Interesting, only 1%? Are gay men pickier in general? I'm probably attracted to at least 20% of women within 10 years of my age. don't know if that's the same for all hetero men.
There is an 'app for that', several actually: Grindr, Scruff, BoyAhoy, Manhunt, Squirt and the torrid list goes on and on and on - ad nauseum

Old Posted Jan 14, 2013, 5:45 AM
formerly-furry flâneur

Quote:

I can't speak for all gay fellas, but yes I'm that picky. Note that I said 1% of GAY men. Plop me down in Istanbul and that figure goes way, way up.

Old Posted Jan 14, 2013, 10:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CorporateWhore View Post
I always prefer to hear the word "homosexual" in the voice of Stewie Griffin.
"You know what it's time for? A sexy party!"

Video Link

I just couldn't resist...

Old Posted Jan 14, 2013, 10:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chadillaccc View Post
Exactly. Every single person in my hometown thought it was like "Hey you're both gay so you should date"... uhm... I don't know if people realize but gay men are pretty much the most picky people in the world, and most masculine dudes can't stand the flamey ones, at least romantically.
And everyone hates on the Asians. No joke.

...I say that because I've been through that.

Old Posted Jan 14, 2013, 10:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chadillaccc View Post
I probably know more closet dudes here than gay dudes. It's wild, also a very uncommon thing I have never come across in my travels of Canada btw.
That.

Old Posted Jan 14, 2013, 3:23 PM
Home of Hyperchange

Quote:
I'm probably attracted to at least 20% of women within 10 years of my age. don't know if that's the same for all hetero men.
Considering this came from Rusty's comment about college... I'd say with most straight guys, it's closer to 90% at that stage in life.

Old Posted Jan 14, 2013, 3:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by freeweed View Post
Considering this came from Rusty's comment about college... I'd say with most straight guys, it's closer to 90% at that stage in life.
Seinfeld says that only about 4-6% of the people out there are datable

Old Posted Jan 14, 2013, 3:48 PM
cow orker

Quote:
I can't speak for all gay fellas, but yes I'm that picky. Note that I said 1% of GAY men. Plop me down in Istanbul and that figure goes way, way up.
Please explain. Do you find Turks attractive?

Also, can you guys settle the "gaydar" thing. True or false? Like, can a gay dude look at 100 guys and pick out the 10(?) gay guys?

Old Posted Jan 14, 2013, 4:18 PM
Home of Hyperchange

Quote:
Originally Posted by Habanero View Post
Seinfeld says that only about 4-6% of the people out there are datable
Who said anything about dating?

Old Posted Jan 14, 2013, 6:00 PM
formerly-furry flâneur

Quote:
Originally Posted by monocle View Post
Please explain. Do you find Turks attractive?

Also, can you guys settle the "gaydar" thing. True or false? Like, can a gay dude look at 100 guys and pick out the 10(?) gay guys?
Turks? Oh dear God yes. YES.

Everyone has gaydar.

Old Posted Jan 14, 2013, 6:06 PM
formerly-furry flâneur

Quote:
Originally Posted by that_twisted_cm View Post
And everyone hates on the Asians. No joke.

...I say that because I've been through that.
Seriously? I'd think if I were Asian I'd have a different daddybear every night. It's unbelievable how many of these guys are looking for "young, smooth, Asian" in their profiles. For every time you've bee rejected for being Asian I can guarantee I've been rejected for NOT being Asian. And when I was eg in college I'd answer personal ads and get the shaft on meeting because when I said I was, say, 21, they were expecting a- let's say a porpoise, and they got a bearcub instead. Okay, that didn't happen a lot, but I got lectured by this tired old queen about how I was young and should try to look it including - ick ick ick - shaving my body. Waxing didn't exist back then (at least not for men). I always assumed that if I was Asian I'd have more tail than something with lots of tails.

Old Posted Jan 14, 2013, 6:40 PM
Home of Hyperchange

Quote:
Seriously? I'd think if I were Asian I'd have a different daddybear every night. It's unbelievable how many of these guys are looking for "young, smooth, Asian" in their profiles. For every time you've bee rejected for being Asian I can guarantee I've been rejected for NOT being Asian. And when I was eg in college I'd answer personal ads and get the shaft on meeting because when I said I was, say, 21, they were expecting a- let's say a porpoise, and they got a bearcub instead. Okay, that didn't happen a lot, but I got lectured by this tired old queen about how I was young and should try to look it including - ick ick ick - shaving my body. Waxing didn't exist back then (at least not for men). I always assumed that if I was Asian I'd have more tail than something with lots of tails.
This is perhaps one of the best paragraphs I've ever read online, anywhere. There's a lexicon here that I completely understand, yet have absolutely no frame of reference to associate it with. I understood every single thing you said, yet didn't "get" most of it. Fascinating.

"Porpoise" made me laugh out loud. For real. It's not something I do very often from just reading.

Old Posted Jan 14, 2013, 6:57 PM

Mods, can we change the name of this thread to Calgary Gay Thread? The thread was initially meant to answer a few curiosities, but I can see this being a regularly used thread and if so, why not name it give the thread title a more appropriate name.

Old Posted Jan 14, 2013, 7:50 PM
My Spoon Is Too Big

Quote:
Well, or I guess more accurately, didn't.

Old Posted Jan 14, 2013, 8:04 PM
formerly-furry flâneur

Quote:
Originally Posted by DizzyEdge View Post
Well, or I guess more accurately, didn't.
True dat.

Old Posted Jan 14, 2013, 8:29 PM

The gay bars use to be for meeting of everyone. There never use to be an alternative. I remember when I was going to university in the 80s I went clubbing every weekend. At the time it was fun but I quickly got tired of it and now I never go out. I tried to go out once a year just to remind myself how much I disliked it and why I avoided it but not even that happens anymore. I haven't been to a gay bar in Vancouver in 2 years and the pathetic thing is that if I were to visit one I would see the same faces I did 10 years ago.

The exception to that is when travelling and people who never go clubbing are more likely to when travelling but even then, atleast for me, I might do it one night but that's it. Today, the bar and ghetto scenes, especially in the big cities, are strickly for students, tourists, and professional fags.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Alberta & British Columbia > Calgary > General Discussions, Culture, Dining, Sports & Recreation