HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Ontario > Hamilton > Downtown & City of Hamilton

Old Posted Jan 19, 2018, 4:39 AM
Bruatalism gets no respec

If Fred wants to constantly say Hamilton is Pittsburgh... Pitt doesn't stunt towers because of some made up height restriction.

Last edited by realcity; Jan 19, 2018 at 3:05 PM.

Old Posted Jan 19, 2018, 4:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by realcity View Post
If Fred wants to constantly say Hamilton is Pittsburgh... Pitt doesn't stunt towers because of some made up height restriction.

Nor does Brooklyn or any other city we like to pretend we have anything in common with.

I can't emphasize this enough: people concerned with the hundreds of millions of $ we will drive away with an arbitrary and unnecessary height restriction in the core, NEED to email city council and voice your displeasure. They will listen if they get bombarded. I've emailed them. A small neighbourhood group is running the show at the moment. Councillors need to hear from citizens concerned with us driving away development dollars and new citizens in our core.

Old Posted Jan 19, 2018, 7:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LRTfan View Post
Nor does Brooklyn or any other city we like to pretend we have anything in common with.

I can't emphasize this enough: people concerned with the hundreds of millions of $ we will drive away with an arbitrary and unnecessary height restriction in the core, NEED to email city council and voice your displeasure. They will listen if they get bombarded. I've emailed them. A small neighbourhood group is running the show at the moment. Councillors need to hear from citizens concerned with us driving away development dollars and new citizens in our core.
What email is best to send to?

Old Posted Jan 19, 2018, 7:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hawrylyshyn View Post
What email is best to send to?

I used this link here and emailed all of council together:

https://raisethehammer.org/council

Old Posted Jan 19, 2018, 7:46 PM

Quote:
I used this link here and emailed all of council together:

https://raisethehammer.org/council

What did you say in the email? I'll email them too

Old Posted Jan 19, 2018, 8:40 PM

Remember how the City awed over Mississauga and Hazel. Then sauga started building supertalls and density and you never hear anymore how they are their top idol city. You can see sauga's skyline from Grimsby, Fonthill and the Falls (QEW curve from NS to EW.)

Old Posted Jan 19, 2018, 9:12 PM
Midtowner since 2K

Quote:
Remember how the City awed over Mississauga and Hazel. Then sauga started building supertalls and density and you never hear anymore how they are their top idol city. You can see sauga's skyline from Grimsby, Fonthill and the Falls (QEW curve from NS to EW.)
Supertalls? I think you mean skyscrapers.....which is what Mississauga continues to build...albeit at a somewhat slow paced compared to somewhere like Surrey or Burnaby. The tallest building in Mississauga will be under construction in a matter of months, the construction trailer already arrived...but it's 198 metres tall....just over 100 m less than a supertall.

Mississauga really shouldn't be an idolized city....especially for Hamilton. The two cities are completely different...but share some similarities of course like the QEW. In terms of density, Mississauga barely has the 3-5 floors walk up apartments you see in other cities.....all because of the way Mississauga developed...and density is severely lowered by the sprawling lowrise neighbourhoods and warehouses the city has.

Old Posted Jan 19, 2018, 10:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GeneralLeeTPHLS View Post
Supertalls? I think you mean skyscrapers.....which is what Mississauga continues to build...albeit at a somewhat slow paced compared to somewhere like Surrey or Burnaby. The tallest building in Mississauga will be under construction in a matter of months, the construction trailer already arrived...but it's 198 metres tall....just over 100 m less than a supertall.

Mississauga really shouldn't be an idolized city....especially for Hamilton. The two cities are completely different...but share some similarities of course like the QEW. In terms of density, Mississauga barely has the 3-5 floors walk up apartments you see in other cities.....all because of the way Mississauga developed...and density is severely lowered by the sprawling lowrise neighbourhoods and warehouses the city has.
Mississauga is a terrible example of how to build a city. It is essentially a suburb but with condo towers. Nearly all the towers are on 6 lane+ roads, with no commercial on lower levels. Transit is shit because despite having tall towers, they are all separated by way too much space and parking lots.

It's essentially expected that you own a car in Mississauga, because it's basically a commuter city for Toronto. There's nothing to do in Mississauga itself. I would never go to the city for anything. Hamilton, should absolutely no aspire to be Mississauga. Hamilton should aspire to be its own city with all the benefits of Toronto-like planning. Toronto isn't what Hamilton should be either, but it can look at the density and spread of transit and employment and entertainment as items to copy.

Follow me on Twitter: https://x.com/ham_bicycleguy?t=T_fx3...SIZNGfD4A&s=09

Old Posted Jan 19, 2018, 10:15 PM

This^ The formula for new developments in Mississauga right now is massive point towers (basically 60s/70s tower in the park only taller) but instead wrapped with town homes on top or in front of a large parking garage with no retail. The Marilyn Monroe towers look great from a distance, but the way they hit the ground is so amazingly average.

Old Posted Jan 20, 2018, 12:45 AM

I'm not saying sauga is great. but hamilton was totally was inspired by how Hazel built the supersuberb. It was pathetic. A monkey could've done the job of mayor during the 90s/2000s.

The point is they are trying to build 'super'talls with density. I don't even know if they give a shit about transit. or street level, but the downtown is centered around a mall, you could say hamilton is too.

Old Posted Jan 20, 2018, 12:58 AM
Midtowner since 2K

Quote:
Originally Posted by davidcappi View Post
This^ The formula for new developments in Mississauga right now is massive point towers (basically 60s/70s tower in the park only taller) but instead wrapped with town homes on top or in front of a large parking garage with no retail. The Marilyn Monroe towers look great from a distance, but the way they hit the ground is so amazingly average.
The downtown of Mississauga suffers greatly from this....but there's one street in Mississauga where the new condo developments aren't too bad, they meet the street well and have some retail....but it needs to mature.
https://www.google.ca/maps/@43.58676...7i13312!8i6656
The roads are a pain in the ass to walk alongside....but I gotta say, Mississauga has some pretty stellar parks, mostly in the west end. If Hamilton should follow MissingSausage in any principle, it's the connection of parks and trails that the city has in the west end....it can be extensive, but is bisected by those huge roads at times.

I really dislike those cylindrical twisty towers....the street level is complete ****, and I don't care about the design of the towers...Hurontario has a glass wall for an Asian supermarket and Burnamthorpe has a giant row to ugly townhouses.

Old Posted Jan 20, 2018, 1:01 AM
Midtowner since 2K

Quote:
I'm not saying sauga is great. but hamilton was totally was inspired by how Hazel built the supersuberb. It was pathetic. A monkey could've done the job of mayor during the 90s/2000s.

The point is they are trying to build 'super'talls with density. I don't even know if they give a shit about transit. or street level, but the downtown is centered around a mall, you could say hamilton is too.
That's a fair enough comparison.....I feel like Hamilton and Mississauga are similar in terms of their adamant feelings toward their own LRT projects (interested, but slow progress). Except, Mississauga is getting their streetcar line under construction this year, albeit later than I thought....

(Sorry, I don't wanna be hijacking the thread...)

I hope this proposal goes through....

Old Posted Jan 22, 2018, 4:18 PM
Hamilton Historian

A little history lesson:

Back in the day (40's/ 50s?) Hamilton used to be BIGGER than toronto - it was a hub site for cities all around it, including in the states. Big corporations sat in hamilton, and money was there for investment.

Montreal however, was where the huge bucks were- where the torontos of today worked out of. Then montreal became too expensive, and those companies and people moved to toronto, and that is when toronto exploded and started to build up.

Now the exact same thing is happening with toronto - it's getting too expensive to live there, and so they are moving to hamilton, and hamilton is on the crest of exploding.. the question becomes do we want to repeat the same mistakes toronto made, or build up responsibly in a way where half of the city isn't cast in eternal shadow with freezing wind tunnel effects.

Personally I think buildings should be taller near the escarpment, peak around the core, and then peter off towards the lake, so that regardless of where you are, you have a view of the lake.

There should be certain lookout areas on the escarpment where vistas of the lake should be preserved (most of the escarpment views are blocked by trees) but imo the goal of being able to see the lake should be preserved from any place high up, while focus on tall buildings should also be focused on, just in the right locations.

Last edited by Chronamut; Jan 22, 2018 at 4:39 PM.

Old Posted Jan 22, 2018, 4:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chronamut View Post
A little history lesson:

Back in the day (40's/ 50s?) Hamilton used to be BIGGER than toronto - it was a hub site for cities all around it, including in the states. Big corporations sat in hamilton, and money was there for investment.

Montreal however, was where the huge bucks were- where the torontos of today worked out of. Then montreal became too expensive, and those companies and people moved to toronto, and that is when toronto exploded and started to build up.

Now the exact same thing is happening with toronto - it's getting too expensive to live there, and so they are moving to hamilton, and hamilton is on the crest of exploding.. the question becomes do we want to repeat the same mistakes toronto made, or build up responsibly in a way where half of the city isn't case in eternal shadow with freezing wind tunnel effects.

Personally I think buildings should be taller near the escarpment, peak around the core, and then peter off towards the lake, so that regardless of where you are, you have a view of the lake.

There should be certain lookout areas on the escarpment where vistas of the lake should be preserved (most of the escarpment views are blocked by trees) but imo the goal of being able to see the lake should be preserved from any place high up, while focus on tall buildings should also be focused on, just in the right locations.

Where are you getting the idea that mass amounts of people or business are leaving TO and coming here???? Lol
Check the data. Our population is continuing it's slow growth, and TO is absolutely booming. The gap is continuing to rapidly widen, not shrink between our size and power. In 50 years Hamilton will be an afterthought in the GTHA and TO will be a world power. City Hall leadership in each city is largely responsible for the opposite trajectories of these cities over the last 60+ years, and for the next 60+

Old Posted Jan 22, 2018, 4:43 PM

Quote:
A little history lesson:

...Montreal however, was where the huge bucks were- where the torontos of today worked out of. Then montreal became too expensive, and those companies and people moved to toronto, and that is when toronto exploded and started to build up.
An interesting story, but not an accurate history lesson. Montreal saw an exodus of Anglophones during the 1960s, during the wave of Francophone nationalism. Some corporate head offices moved to Toronto (Sun Life), others stayed (Bell). The legal headquarters of the Bank of Montreal is Montreal, but the actual operational hq is in Toronto.

But prior to that,Toronto was challenging Montreal as the financial capital of Canada before WWII. In the 1940s the volume of stocks traded on the TSE surpassed those on Montreal's exchange.

Montreal's real estate has never been "too expensive". Relative to other Canadian cities, Montreal residential prices were flat for decades. Only recently has that changed.

Old Posted Jan 22, 2018, 4:46 PM

Quote:
Where are you getting the idea that mass amounts of people or business are leaving TO and coming here???? Lol
...In 50 years Hamilton will be an afterthought in the GTHA and TO will be a world power...
Toronto's capital inflows are in the billions. Hamilton's is about $1.99 and a large double-double.

Old Posted Jan 22, 2018, 5:17 PM
Hamilton Historian

Quote:
Check the data.
who do you think are buying units in all the condos going up - or buying houses because they are cheap and flipping them - torontonians.

Who is leaving hamilton and moving to places like brantford and other outlying regions because it's getting too expensive to live in hamilton? Hamiltonians.

And I am saying it is just beginning. Once the downtown is raring to go that trickle effect will get larger. It's just gotten too expensive to live in toronto, and even if places are expensive here they are STILL cheaper than toronto prices.

Old Posted Jan 22, 2018, 5:28 PM

Quote:
Who is leaving hamilton and moving to places like brantford and other outlying regions because it's getting too expensive to live in hamilton? Hamiltonians.

And I am saying it is just beginning. Once the downtown is raring to go that trickle effect will get larger. It's just gotten too expensive to live in toronto, and even if places are expensive here they are STILL cheaper than toronto prices.
For better or worse, Toronto has joined the ranks of world cities in which their housing costs have accelerated wildly. Hamilton and the rest of the GTAA is catching some of the fallout. Our real estate prices are relatively attractive, but the commute is not.

Hamilton is not on the verge of explosive growth. Toronto's population and economic growth far outstrips Hamilton's.

Old Posted Jan 22, 2018, 5:30 PM
Hamilton Historian

Quote:
Originally Posted by movingtohamilton View Post
For better or worse, Toronto has joined the ranks of world cities in which their housing costs have accelerated wildly. Hamilton and the rest of the GTAA is catching some of the fallout. Our real estate prices are relatively attractive, but the commute is not.

Hamilton is not on the verge of explosive growth. Toronto's population and economic growth far outstrips Hamilton's.
I am not saying that our population is going to rival torontos - I am saying that in say the past 5 years hamilton has seen more condo units built than in years before that - we are actually growing and densifying the downtown core, where buildings just rotted before.. it's a fun time to be here! Our growth is a lot more compared to where we WERE as a city.

Mind you amalgamation has helped both cities grow.

I watched hamilton stagnate for the past 30 years, while the suburbia densified and the downtown was left to rot.

Old Posted Jan 22, 2018, 6:15 PM

Quote:
who do you think are buying units in all the condos going up - or buying houses because they are cheap and flipping them - torontonians.

if you're just talking about TO residents involved in our real estate market, then yes that number has increased. 33% of all December real estate transactions were involved folks from the GTA.
But our economy, population, business community etc... isn't growing much and is being completely dominated by TO. Your original post made it sound like Hamilton was poised to start narrowing the gap between us and TO. The gap is widening everyday, and both city halls are happy to keep on their current pathways: slow, laggard, sluggish growth here, and massive, world-renowned growth in TO.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Ontario > Hamilton > Downtown & City of Hamilton