HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada

Old Posted Oct 10, 2014, 4:56 PM
BANNED

Is Europe still a better place to live Post Eurocrash

Will the european economy currently contracting, it seems like distant memories where people use to claim things are better in europe.

Be clear, obviously in the past when people said things are better in europe they are cheery picking.

So be clear, this isn't the comparison of an entire continent with one sparesly populated country.

But in terms of Urban living, Sky scrapers, development etc, do you feel Europe(cheery pick region) is better than living in canada.

Old Posted Oct 10, 2014, 5:04 PM
Editor

I love a lot of things about Europe, I've spent lots of time there and have lived there. In the end I have chosen to live here here. Other people might like Europe better, but for me personally I prefer to visit Europe, but live here in Canada.

Old Posted Oct 10, 2014, 5:08 PM
BANNED

http://ichef.bbci.co.uk/wwtravel/608...5/p016p5xz.jpg

Just look at that and tell me it's not the kind of place where you would like to live.

Old Posted Oct 10, 2014, 5:18 PM

I'm born and raised in Europe.....well at least for 2/3 of my life. And a few years ago i chose Toronto and Montreal as my home for myself and my business. As much as i like Europe i can't stand the people there....well again this mainly refers to Southern Europe (Italy, Greece, Spain, etc.).

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stryker View Post
Just look at that and tell me it's not the kind of place where you would like to live.
Hell no!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Quote:

I think I'd be mind-numbingly bored living in a place like that.

BANNED

Just your average city in france.

Old Posted Oct 10, 2014, 5:20 PM
BANNED

Just your average city in france.

http://www.panoramio.com/photo_explo...c&user=3242629

Old Posted Oct 10, 2014, 5:22 PM
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ramako View Post
I think I'd be mind-numbingly bored living in a place like that.
Check the other link I posted seems a bit more interesting.

Old Posted Oct 10, 2014, 5:22 PM

Personally when I visited Europe I loved it. From what I saw I liked the more urban walk, bike, buy fresh groceries from the local market daily type lifestyle. Then again that's not necessarily strictly 'European' so much as it may be more urban.

Coming back home seemed a bit bleh. Big cars, big parking lots, big people, big shopping carts, litter, poor urban planning, lack of a sense of place in urban settings, poor public transit, etc.

I dunno, it was just different, but a good different for me, ofcourse that's always easier to say after a visit as compared to actually living it.

Old Posted Oct 10, 2014, 5:55 PM

Europe - fabulous to visit, but to live? I could if I had too, but I find life much easier, simpler and more comfortable here.

Old Posted Oct 10, 2014, 5:58 PM

Judging by the large number of Europeans seeking to move to Canada, the US, and Australia, and the relatively small number of North Americans moving to Europe.... well, that speaks volumes.

Old Posted Oct 10, 2014, 6:09 PM
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1overcosc View Post
Judging by the large number of Europeans seeking to move to Canada, the US, and Australia, and the relatively small number of North Americans moving to Europe.... well, that speaks volumes.
That is total nonsense.

I can count on the my hand the number of germans, swedes, dannes, etc, that I've met in Canada.

The vast majority of modern Euros are from the poorest regions of Europe.(hence the cherry picking point)

The few I've met from rich countries, generally come here, because of corporate office issues etc, or are simply greater mobility(another perk).

It's not easy to goto europe for most people, it's generally easy to come to canada if you have certain skills.

Old Posted Oct 10, 2014, 7:57 PM

^ Have you been paying attention to the immigration stats? Immigrant inflows from France into Canada are at a record high.

Old Posted Oct 10, 2014, 8:31 PM
Go Chiefs!

Quote:
Originally Posted by kwoldtimer View Post
Europe - fabulous to visit, but to live? I could if I had too, but I find life much easier, simpler and more comfortable here.
Exactly this.

Old Posted Oct 10, 2014, 8:39 PM

Quote:
That is total nonsense.

I can count on the my hand the number of germans, swedes, dannes, etc, that I've met in Canada.
You've obviously never lived in any of the larger cities in Canada then, or you just dont talk to people. Living in Montreal you meet a ton of Europeans, mostly from France but there are others too.

Old Posted Oct 10, 2014, 9:28 PM
The Vomit Bag.

I'd consider living there if it wasn't so full of Europeans

Actually I do live in the South of France for 3-4 weeks out of each year.

The standard joke is this:

reddit

Old Posted Oct 11, 2014, 2:03 AM
Editor

Quote:

Okay......It's not the kind of place I'd like to live lol!

Seriously though...I wouldn't. Love to visit it, but I would not want to live there....been there done that already (France, and Barcelona), and I'm good here thanks!...

Last edited by Surrealplaces; Oct 11, 2014 at 2:23 AM.

Old Posted Oct 11, 2014, 2:21 AM
Unapologetic Occidental

I've given this some thought, and I think that at this point in history most of what is available as far as urbanistic delights in European cities can be found in most of the large Canadian cities of comparable size.

With the possible exception of urban and architectural aesthetics. But I am not sure that living in a pretty town significantly adds to the quality of life of the average person. (Fully realizing that I am on SSP here and that some people say that certain cityscapes literally plunge them into depression.)

I say this as a person who is a total Europhile who may eventually go live there once my kids are older, but I do think that 1) roughly equivalent urbanistic delights plus 2) the more practical, comfortable and affordable lifestyle here, easily counter-balance the fact that our cities aren't usually particularly pretty.

Old Posted Oct 11, 2014, 2:30 AM
Editor

You've summed up my thoughts exactly. I love Europe, but still prefer living here, and I'm hoping to spend more time in Europe later in life. I'd like to spend a month or two in Europe every other year. That's on top of also spending periods of time in parts of the U.S., Latin America and Asia too. Ultimately Canada always will be my choice for home.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Acajack View Post
I've given this some thought, and I think that at this point in history most of what is available as far as urbanistic delights in European cities can be found in most of the large Canadian cities of comparable size.

With the possible exception of urban and architectural aesthetics. But I am not sure that living in a pretty town significantly adds to the quality of life of the average person. (Fully realizing that I am on SSP here and that some people say that certain cityscapes literally plunge them into depression.)

I say this as a person who is a total Europhile who may eventually go live there once my kids are older, but I do think that 1) roughly equivalent urbanistic delights plus 2) the more practical, comfortable and affordable lifestyle here, easily counter-balance the fact that our cities aren't usually particularly pretty.

Old Posted Oct 11, 2014, 3:02 AM
Unapologetic Occidental

Quote:
Originally Posted by Surrealplaces View Post
You've summed up my thoughts exactly. I love Europe, but still prefer living here, and I'm hoping to spend more time in Europe later in life. I'd like to spend a month or two in Europe every other year. That's on top of also spending periods of time in parts of the U.S., Latin America and Asia too. Ultimately Canada always will be my choice for home.
I'd also say that our urban form at least in the inner cities is improving. Most Canadian cities won't ever have gorgeous historic architecture but if things continue on this path they can certainly become as attractive and vibrant as modern German or Dutch cities.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada