HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Alberta & British Columbia > Vancouver > Sports & Outdoor Recreation

Old Posted Aug 16, 2012, 4:32 PM

Can Vancouver Host the summer olympics?

The next big event in BC will most likely be the summer Olympics and this won't happen for another 30 years if not more, however, this article is a great read for those of you interested.

http://www.vancitybuzz.com/2012/08/v...-games-part-i/

Can't believe these sleaze balls came up with this and not the other news sites

Old Posted Aug 16, 2012, 5:39 PM

They could host it, although I don't see that ever happening. If Canada is to get a Summer Games, Toronto will get it. Quebec City likely will get Canada's next shot at an Olympic Winter Games.

Old Posted Aug 16, 2012, 5:42 PM

Toronto would be next in line. Say Toronto gets 2024. That would be 48 years after Montreal. So, it would be a lot longer than 30 years for Vancouver to ever get a chance at getting the Summer Games. Vancouver would have a better chance of getting a second Winter Games.

Old Posted Aug 16, 2012, 6:13 PM

Personally myself I wish we were given the Summer games, our summer weather is often perfect for such an event (if held here this year, for example, the only rain would have been during the thunderstorms last week on Tuesday, all other days would have been nice)

I would also love to see them shared between Metro-Vancouver and Victoria.

Old Posted Aug 16, 2012, 6:43 PM
Vancouver Moderator

Summer games are a lot more expensive, etc.

Old Posted Aug 16, 2012, 7:54 PM

A joint bid by Seattle and Vancouver was floated around awhile back - there's still a Wikipedia article about it for the 2028 games. I guess I'm too cynical but I see too many corporations and politicians involved in the olympics, the summer games seem especially bad for this.

Anyways, if 2 cities split the summer games it would be easier for smaller cities like Vancouver and Seattle to manage what seems like a mammoth undertaking.

Old Posted Aug 16, 2012, 7:56 PM

back in the early 1990's long before the winter olympics were even thought of here there was an idea about seattle-vancouver making a joint bid for the summer olympics

City Wants 2028 Olympics

Vancouver and Seattle will join forces to try to attract a post-2010 global mega-event, with a wish list that includes co-hosting the 2018 World Cup of soccer, a world's fair around 2020 or the 2028 Summer Olympics.

BY THE VANCOUVER SUN OCTOBER 8, 2006

http://www.canada.com/vancouversun/n...3-d43ee389f80c

Quote:
Vancouver and Seattle businessmen tried in the early 1990s to create a two-city bid for the 2008 Summer Olympics and even met with International Olympic Committee officials in Europe. But they were told the cross-border concept wouldn't work and Tourism Vancouver refused to support the proposal.
it was discussed here a while back

skyscraper page

Old Posted Aug 16, 2012, 7:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by red-paladin View Post
Summer games are a lot more expensive, etc.
they are very expensive and i think in the future we will see multi cities hosting the olympics to help with the cost and share the burden and all can enjoy the benefits

Old Posted Aug 16, 2012, 7:59 PM

I think Vancouver could probably pull it off, but it's a stretch. Most of the cities that host it these days are major global cities. Sydney was the closest in size, and even it's double the size of Vancouver.

Old Posted Aug 16, 2012, 8:03 PM

I don't understand why they'd want to do an international Olympics between Canada and the US. I mean, in theory it sounds cool, but with the multiple border crossings, the distance between each city, transportation etc. it just doesn't seem worth it. Are they going to put the Olympic Village in Mt. Vernon so it's almost equidistant to both cities (considering border crossing times)?

If there was going to be a joint bid for any cities in the PNW, it would be Portland/Seattle (Portland is only 30 miles further from Seattle than Vancouver, plus no border crossings) or Vancouver/Victoria. I just don't think an international Olympics would work because of the complications.

Old Posted Aug 16, 2012, 8:07 PM

the idea was started in the 1990's pre-9/11 when crossing the border was easy - oh i miss those days

Old Posted Aug 16, 2012, 8:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SpongeG View Post
the idea was started in the 1990's pre-9/11 when crossing the border was easy - oh i miss those days
Ah. That makes sense.

Old Posted Aug 16, 2012, 8:25 PM

The IOC won't even accept joint bids between Belgium and the Netherlands - so the chance of a USA/Canada joint is extremely hard to believe that it would occur.

Old Posted Aug 16, 2012, 8:27 PM

I think I remember reading about San Diego/Tijuana putting in a joint bid for the 2016 Summer Olympics a while ago. That'd never work.

Old Posted Aug 16, 2012, 8:30 PM

It's really more about the hosting country than the specific city that hosts most of the events. Sochi is more about Russia than about a dinky little seaside resort in the Caucasus; Beijing is more about China, London more about Britain, Rio more about Brazil. Lots of times some events are held way out in another city anyways - eg the Beijing olympics was really the Beijing/Qingdao/Hong Kong olympics (Qingdao hosted all the sailing events and Hong Kong the equestrian); and we had the Vancouver/Whistler winter games.

The next summer games for Canada will be out east somewhere, and even then probably not for many years. I don't think another Vancouver Olympics will happen in any of our lifetimes.

Old Posted Aug 16, 2012, 9:27 PM
See ya down under, mates

Did we get anything from the winter olympics besides the Canada line and good feelings? Tourism is way down... but I haven't seen a real analysis of the effects yet (one that came out right after doesn't count).

Old Posted Aug 16, 2012, 10:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pinion View Post
Did we get anything from the winter olympics besides the Canada line and good feelings? Tourism is way down... but I haven't seen a real analysis of the effects yet (one that came out right after doesn't count).

Agreed. And on top of all that, it cost a bucking fundle of $$$$ that could have been used elsewhere (housing, social needs, transit infrastructure, & such)

Old Posted Aug 16, 2012, 10:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by trofirhen View Post

Agreed. And on top of all that, it cost a bucking fundle of $$$$ that could have been used elsewhere (housing, social needs, transit infrastructure, & such)
Most of it was spent on transportation infrastructure and things we greatly benefit from today, like all the sport venues and the expanded convention centre. We also spent a bit on things like festivals and celebrations, but in the scheme of things that's pocket change. The only big item out there was security, and the operational costs to host the Games were delivered almost entirely by VANOC and its sponsorship and ticketing revenues.

Old Posted Aug 17, 2012, 12:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mr.x View Post
Most of it was spent on transportation infrastructure and things we greatly benefit from today, like all the sport venues and the expanded convention centre. We also spent a bit on things like festivals and celebrations, but in the scheme of things that's pocket change. The only big item out there was security, and the operational costs to host the Games were delivered almost entirely by VANOC and its sponsorship and ticketing revenues.

I stand corrected. Nevertheless, be it inaccurate or not, I think my perception is shared by a fair % of the population.

Old Posted Aug 17, 2012, 1:21 AM

I heard a rumour that a group from Nairobi, Kenya was in London to gauge the reaction to an African country bidding for the 2024 -28 -32 summer games.

I think we'll see a Summer Olympics in Africa (my bet is on South Africa getting the games within the next 25 years) before Vancouver gets another shot at either Summer or Winter games.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Alberta & British Columbia > Vancouver > Sports & Outdoor Recreation