HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Texas & Southcentral > Austin

Old Posted Mar 26, 2014, 5:57 AM
Member since 2001

Quote:
Originally Posted by austlar1 View Post
...I hate the way the local media just prints press releases from developers and fails to provide real details about ownership and financing of local projects.
Ownership can be discovered through a simple tax record search. There is no legal mandate for developers to disclose any aspect of project financing. This includes the actual purchase price for land.

I'd be a little surprised if the Finley's didn't negotiate a land lease for the site.

Old Posted Mar 26, 2014, 7:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GoldenBoot View Post
Ownership can be discovered through a simple tax record search. There is no legal mandate for developers to disclose any aspect of project financing. This includes the actual purchase price for land.

I'd be a little surprised if the Finley's didn't negotiate a land lease for the site.
Still, it would be nice if the AAS and the Biz Reporter would dig for a bit more information. They do just tend to print the press release with hardly any questions asked. Many developers are eager to provide some financing information (if they have the financing in place) or ownership/partner details because it lends credibility to their project. The fact that a developer declines to discuss specifics of financing or other aspects of a project becomes part of the story, if the questions are asked.

Old Posted Mar 26, 2014, 5:31 PM
Meh

This guy, Robert Grattan at ABJ, seems to be thorough.

Old Posted Mar 26, 2014, 6:56 PM

I think that the blank wall is there because of the property next to it can be built as tall, who wants windows if a building can someday be built on the adjoining lot. The indention would allow light to pass down like an atrium or skylight. I bet that that indention meets the end of a hallway or a stairwell.

Old Posted Mar 26, 2014, 9:55 PM

I've seen blank walls that look worse, but they should still be required to add some sort of architectural detail to it. I found some pretty cool photos of other highrises built this way with art, bump outs, ivy, etc. And it can all be temporary until they build next door.

Old Posted Mar 26, 2014, 10:43 PM
7th Gen Central Texan

Ivy would be cool, I think. Add a bit of softness to the sharp lines and sleek glass facade. Would also tie into the stone/brick cafe.

Old Posted Mar 26, 2014, 10:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lzppjb View Post
Ivy would be cool, I think. Add a bit of softness to the sharp lines and sleek glass facade. Would also tie into the stone/brick cafe.
The ivy was my favorite by far. I'll try to refind the pics...

Old Posted Mar 26, 2014, 10:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by austlar1 View Post
Some internet sleuthing seems to reveal that the the Aloft development is being done by The Coventus Corporation and the Finley Company. Looks like this is one downtown hotel not being built by White Lodging, but, then again, is that really true?
It is indeed White Lodging, you just need to dig a little deeper. Look at the documents available from the City (search 619 Congress on their website)... one of the Bury site plans lists White Lodging as the developer. Another document says that Coventus/Finley executed a ground lease last August to an entity called CONAUS, LLC. Google that entity and you will find out that it was formed in August 2013 with the same address as White Lodging.

Old Posted Mar 26, 2014, 11:01 PM
7th Gen Central Texan

Gonna start calling you "Mole" because you dig so deep.

Old Posted Mar 26, 2014, 11:18 PM

Well, White Lodging tends to get things built, so I guess that is some good news. They have a virtual monopoly on new downtown hotels spread across many brands.

Old Posted Mar 26, 2014, 11:48 PM
Meh

I thought this was neat. This shows that block before that white building was demolished. It was located where the parking lot is today.

Remember in Austin, Tx. when... - https://scontent-a-dfw.xx.fbcdn.net/...38883915_n.jpg

Old Posted Mar 27, 2014, 1:43 AM

Thanks Kevin. I wonder why it got demolished in the first place?

Old Posted Mar 27, 2014, 1:51 AM

Re: JoninATX …

http://www.cityofaustin.org/edims/do....cfm?id=205858

Lone Star Mike posted this link in the History thread. If you read thru you;ll find that it burnt down. Also a great history of the block and why the building next door to the vacant lot ( 619?) was not recomended to be saved via historical landmark status. (facade has been reconstructed mulitple times and not original) I would say the rest of those small buildings will also not stand the test of historical landmark status.

Old Posted Mar 27, 2014, 2:03 AM

Thanks Michael B. Kind of sad that it was destroyed by a fire, but now atleast it gets us closer to getting another building on that site.

Old Posted Mar 27, 2014, 6:44 AM
Representing the ATX!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by LoneStarMike View Post
Is that south wall going to be totally devoid of any windows? What about the middle section that appears to be recessed? You can't tell from the above rendering whether or not there might be windows that face south from that recessed portion that runs up the middle.

The north wall of Bridges on the Park is mostly blank, but it also has a recessed portion running up the middle and there are windows in the recessed part of that building that face north.
That is just where a portion of the wall bumps out. I don't see any depressions just a 90 degree corner.

Im quite aware why they can't build windows right on the property line but I like the idea that was mentioned by Ivanwolf of a oval or circular tower.

Old Posted Mar 27, 2014, 6:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoninATX View Post
Thanks Michael B. Kind of sad that it was destroyed by a fire, but now atleast it gets us closer to getting another building on that site.

Old Posted Mar 27, 2014, 9:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jdawgboy View Post
That is just where a portion of the wall bumps out. I don't see any depressions just a 90 degree corner.
Look again. You can tell by the horizontal lines on that side. The horizontal lines on the dark gray part meet up with the horizontal lines on the part that you say is bumped out, but they don't met up with the part of that wall that is closest to Congress. Also, you can definitely tell the part of that south wall that is closest to Congress extends right up to the property line. If the back part of that side is "bumped out" that would be extending beyond the property line. I think that middle part is recessed and will possibly have windows at what will most likely be the end of a hallway.

I guess we'll know for sure if/when the elevations are released.

Old Posted Mar 28, 2014, 12:20 AM
Closed account

So I went to Wholly Cow at 619 Congess to see if they knew if/when they would be closing down and they had no idea what I was talking about. I mentioned the proposal to build a hotel on the site and they just knew the landlord had been by a few times but they didn't know why. I quickly clarified that nothing was approved but I got out of there as fast as I could.

....woops.

Old Posted Mar 28, 2014, 12:36 AM
Representing the ATX!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by LoneStarMike View Post
Look again. You can tell by the horizontal lines on that side. The horizontal lines on the dark gray part meet up with the horizontal lines on the part that you say is bumped out, but they don't met up with the part of that wall that is closest to Congress. Also, you can definitely tell the part of that south wall that is closest to Congress extends right up to the property line. If the back part of that side is "bumped out" that would be extending beyond the property line. I think that middle part is recessed and will possibly have windows at what will most likely be the end of a hallway.

I guess we'll know for sure if/when the elevations are released.
I hope you are right and I am wrong, I would rather see at least a row of windows where the hall ends than no windows at all. We will juat have to get more details.

Old Posted Mar 28, 2014, 1:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by brando View Post
So I went to Wholly Cow at 619 Congess to see if they knew if/when they would be closing down and they had no idea what I was talking about. I mentioned the proposal to build a hotel on the site and they just knew the landlord had been by a few times but they didn't know why. I quickly clarified that nothing was approved but I got out of there as fast as I could.

....woops.
Several people are now worried about their minimum wage job going way.

Things will be great when you're downtown.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Texas & Southcentral > Austin