HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Manitoba & Saskatchewan

Old Posted Jul 18, 2018, 9:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by windypeg View Post
Yeah but even once it's legal Prudish Pallister expects cops to run around making sure no one is actually smoking it anywhere except private homes, that nobody has a plant or two growing in their yard, and I'm sure WPS will still disproportionately harass the retailers over petty bullshit seeing as that's what they did to totally legal business selling pipes and whatnot in the past.
Ya, I mean it only took until 2 years ago (90 years following prohibition) for the government to ease up on bars and restaurants serving alcohol.

Old Posted Jul 18, 2018, 10:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GlassCity View Post
Oh, over that time frame from what I understand it's gotten much, much better. Again, I'm still new to Winnipeg, though I've spent a lot of time studying and now working in West Broadway community development.

But anyway, the general narrative I hear from people that have been involved in the neighbourhood for 10+ years is that it's been getting better and better every year, but that this past year has actually regressed into being worse. Now this could be a single hiccup, and West Broadway is still a great neighbourhood, but I don't see this as something problematic to acknowledge or anything.
That's pretty accurate. I've lived in West Broadway for the past few years and have had friends in the area for a number of years before that. It's nowhere near as bad as say a decade ago but this summer has been the worst as far as crime goes since I moved to the area. The meth problem probably does play a large part in it. Anytime meth becomes more popular in the city crime rises. More so than most other drugs. Meth addicts tend to have an unpredictable side to them.

Old Posted Aug 16, 2018, 10:37 PM

Newish signs up at 226 Osborne North parking lot that says the long-rumoured expansion is now over 50% leased. Interested to see if the plans have changed at all. Would be so nice to start filling in those surface lots near the Ledge.

Old Posted Aug 17, 2018, 3:27 AM
BANNED

Agreed.

Old Posted Aug 17, 2018, 4:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by buzzg View Post
Newish signs up at 226 Osborne North parking lot that says the long-rumoured expansion is now over 50% leased. Interested to see if the plans have changed at all. Would be so nice to start filling in those surface lots near the Ledge.
This is only 15 years in the making, does the new sign have pictures? I wonder what is 50% leased, the office space because or there wasn't much of it or the condos..if that is still the plan.
Quote:
http://www.inlett.com/properties/loc...g-osborne.html

The Ideal Location for Your Business, Your Lifestyle
Over 14,000 square feet of office and commercial space and combined
28 residential units with on-site parking

Project
  • Office, commercial & residential opportunity on prominent downtown site
  • Gateway to Downtown & Osborne Village
  • 8,000+/- sq.ft. office space, 28 residential units, 6,000+/- sq.ft. commercial space
From 2009:
Quote:
Posted: 06/15/2009 https://www.winnipegfreepress.com/bu...-48058592.html
The Osborne Street project has been in the planning stages for more than four years and has undergone several revisions. The latest plan calls for a 3,000-square-foot addition to the existing two-storey office building at 226 Osborne St. North, and construction of a 10-storey, 88,000-square-foot tower on the adjacent parking lot.

The new tower will include parking space beneath the building, parking and retail space on the main floor, office space on the second and 42 condominiums on the top eight floors.

The existing building, which used to be home to the Canadian Red Cross, has already undergone extensive renovations. The 3,000-square-foot addition will be built on top of the building, and will house a recreation/fitness centre for tenants of the two buildings.

Inlett had originally planned to add two floors of condos to the building, and build an eight-storey condo complex next door.

But it later decided it would be less costly to put all of the condos in the new building and just add a fitness centre to the existing one.

Like the original one, the new plan calls for a mixture of bachelor, one-bedroom, two-bedroom, and luxury condos. Although anyone can buy them, Inlett officials are hoping some of the units will be purchased by local companies looking for alternatives to having visiting out-of-town executives stay in a hotel or apartment block. Inlett could look after the units on their behalf.

Russell said the company hopes to have the pricing details completed within the next few months and to then spend upwards of a year trying to pre-sell the condos. If it pre-sells enough of them, construction could begin as early as next summer, he said.

226 Osborne St. North

Current plan calls for a 3,000-square-foot fitness centre to be built on the roof of the existing 21,000-square-foot, two-storey office building and construction of a new 10-storey, 88,000-square-foot tower on the parking lot immediately north of the existing building.

Tower to include 18 parking stalls beneath the building; 10 parking stalls and a 2,000-square-foot commercial unit (probably a restaurant or coffee shop) on the main floor; up to 8,000 square feet of office space on the second floor; and 42 condominiums on the top eight floors.

The latter would include 16 bachelor (executive) units that would be 650 to 800 square feet in size, 22 one- and two-bedroom units ranging from 1,000 to 1,500 square feet, and four 1,850-square-foot luxury condos.

Pricing details to be completed within the next few months. Company will then begin marketing the condos. If enough are pre-sold, construction could begin as early as next summer and take 18 months to complete.

Final cost to be determined.

Last edited by Wpg_Guy; Aug 17, 2018 at 4:21 AM.

Old Posted Aug 17, 2018, 4:51 AM

I didn't take a picture but I believe it noted commercial/office. It's being marketed by Banfield/Remax.

Old Posted Aug 17, 2018, 2:08 PM
BANNED

I would be happy with either.

Old Posted Aug 17, 2018, 3:01 PM
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by buzzg View Post
Ya, I mean it only took until 2 years ago (90 years following prohibition) for the government to ease up on bars and restaurants serving alcohol.
Alcohol is the most socially destructive drug known to man. If it were up to me, I would enforce greater penalties on carrying open liquor, criminal activity when under the influence of alcohol, and place tighter regulations on the sale of alcohol, and hold drinking establishments partially responsible for the actions of their patrons if they serve them despite being in no condition to drink.

Marijuana n the other hand, has never hurt anyone. It should be smoked by all. Even drugs like cocaine and methamphetamine are far less dangerous to society than alcohol.

On that note, I would love to see the Sherbrook Inn either razed, or converted to something other than a dive bar.

Old Posted Aug 17, 2018, 3:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jets4Life View Post
Even drugs like cocaine and methamphetamine are far less dangerous to society than alcohol.

On that note, I would love to see the Sherbrook Inn either razed, or converted to something other than a dive bar.
I don't know. I've watched meth just take over people's lives. Meth induced psychosis after a 3 or 4 days binge without sleep is pretty ugly and anything can and does happen. It's all over the news these days.

Sherbrook yeah, it's the blight of the neighbourhood.

Old Posted Aug 17, 2018, 4:22 PM
There is always a way

People here think that open liquor is some sort of dangerous thing yet they have it all over Europe with far less alcohol related trouble than we do here.

Old Posted Aug 17, 2018, 5:35 PM
BANNED

Replacing that nasty "hotel" with a stunning DCondo-esque tower would act as a major catalyst.

Old Posted Aug 17, 2018, 6:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Urban recluse View Post
Replacing that nasty "hotel" with a stunning DCondo-esque tower would act as a major catalyst.
Definitely. It would dramatically change that neighbourhood.

Old Posted Aug 17, 2018, 8:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Urban recluse View Post
Even just converting it to a mid-high range boutique would do the trick. (Of course tower would be awesome too)

Old Posted Aug 21, 2018, 11:08 PM

Quote:
Alcohol is the most socially destructive drug known to man. If it were up to me, I would enforce greater penalties on carrying open liquor, criminal activity when under the influence of alcohol, and place tighter regulations on the sale of alcohol, and hold drinking establishments partially responsible for the actions of their patrons if they serve them despite being in no condition to drink.

Marijuana n the other hand, has never hurt anyone. It should be smoked by all. Even drugs like cocaine and methamphetamine are far less dangerous to society than alcohol.

While I don't agree on cocaine and meth, I will humour your point.

The difference is that we're not comparing potential problems, just adding more. The whole "two wrongs don't make a right" thing.

Alcohol has its dangers, no doubt, and that serves as a warning to allowing other substances. I'm mixed on weed and obviously I don't see cocaine being legalized in my lifetime, but that's the point I'd make... k great, so now we've ADDED something that's *almost* as bad as booze (though I think it's worse).
Quote:
Originally Posted by optimusREIM View Post
People here think that open liquor is some sort of dangerous thing yet they have it all over Europe with far less alcohol related trouble than we do here.
It's a cultural thing, perhaps fueled by uni/college party lifestyles. A lot of peoples' wild ways are simply a continuation of their nonsense in their early twenties. Europe parties, but their campus experience doesn't use alcohol as a cultural pillar.

Old Posted Aug 23, 2018, 12:24 AM

Can’t even guess why, but that new apartment building that was forced to replace the barn siding with nicely coloured siding on Maryland is now covering over that newer siding with wood, looks like pine maybe. Curious if that siding still wasn’t approve or if there was an issue with it?

Old Posted Aug 23, 2018, 3:50 AM

^ Which building is this?

Old Posted Aug 23, 2018, 4:26 AM

^ Maryland and Westminster http://www.theflatsonwest.ca

Old Posted Aug 23, 2018, 2:46 PM

This building: https://www.google.ca/maps/@49.88190...7i13312!8i6656

They initially put tin siding up almost everywhere, but the city made them take it down and replace it with approved materials (pictured in the map). Now they're covering the orange parts over with wood.

Though now that I look at that render, it appears that the original proposed material was wood, so I wonder if they tried to sneak by the city again by using the burnt orange siding, and the city made them redo it again with the actual approved wood design.

This all begs the question – why doesn't the city impose these design standards on more buildings, and not approve the shitty ones. I applaud the city in this case for making the developer stick to the approved design, however they should also be rejecting poor ones from the start. All this is going to do is make developers just propose junk so it gets approved as junk.

Old Posted Aug 23, 2018, 2:59 PM
BANNED

Looks like welfare housing.

Old Posted Aug 23, 2018, 7:13 PM
Back from the dead

Quote:

Marijuana has most definitely hurt people. Don't kid yourself.

I say that as somebody who used to smoke a fair bit of it and also consider it a safer drug than alcohol. Nevertheless, it's a narcotic and it's meant to impair your judgement. People who claim that they're better drivers or live more fulfilled lives or whatever...well, they're just full of BS or too blind to introspection to actually summarize the effects of weed on their own person accurately.

Some people want a break from reality. Some people want to live in that break land. Some of us prefer to deal with reality as it is.

And please...alcohol is more dangerous than coke or meth? I'm assuming that that's some stab at hyperbole on your part because you're confused if you think that an eight ball is better for you and society than a 40 of rye or a 12 pack of Bud. The difference is that there's a lot more people who drink a 12 of Bud than there are people who ski back an 8 ball and as such you're far more familiar with the effects of that 12. Meth is the nemesis of any community that wants a future. The difference between it and booze other than the lack of white teeth and clear skin is that it'll destroy said community a lot quicker than the old fart who knocks back a six pack at the end of the work day. Nobody does "one meth". They do it until their life is destroyed.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Manitoba & Saskatchewan