HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > Buildings & Architecture > Completed Project Threads Archive

Old Posted Apr 17, 2015, 7:38 PM
Register This

Quote:
Originally Posted by boxbot View Post
Yeah, but 432 is in Midtown. This is looking down on Independence Hall.

Old Posted Apr 17, 2015, 7:54 PM
Closed account

Quote:
Yeah, but 432 is in Midtown. This is looking down on Independence Hall.
Don't mean to pounce also, but they said the same thing about tall buildings around city hall.

Old Posted Apr 18, 2015, 12:28 AM

Usually I hear penthouse and I'm like whatever. But those views and that setup would be really nice to enjoy.

Maybe I just need a roof deck on my comparatively tiny house LOL.

Cheers,
G.

Old Posted Apr 18, 2015, 12:40 AM

Just a casual observation. Great view, but someone might tell the WSJ that the sun sets in the west.

Old Posted Apr 18, 2015, 11:42 PM

Update from Building Philly

https://www.facebook.com/BuildingPhilly

Old Posted Apr 19, 2015, 12:38 AM

Good to see some progress. Thanks for posting Summers

Old Posted Apr 19, 2015, 2:23 AM

I keep wonder where these $3M-a-pop residents are coming from! I mean it's great, but it's not like a lot of Saudi oil princes are looking for a vacation home in Philadelphia. It's wild. I love that Philadelphia is finally blowing up.

Old Posted Apr 19, 2015, 2:28 AM

Quote:
Part of me really doesn't like this project for how ostentatious it is.
I don't think there's anything wrong with that. I mean I know Rittenhouse is commonly thought of as Philadelphia's premier address (and it has plenty of buildings like this), but when you think of what Philadelphia really is, this is the city's place to be. I mean you're looking down on Independence-freakin'-Hall. I wouldn't expect anything less here.

What's more troublesome is that the Brutalist monstrosity next-door was ever allowed to happen shortly after they leveled Society Hill and ripped out two Frank Furness masterpieces.

Old Posted Apr 19, 2015, 5:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by philatonian View Post
I keep wonder where these $3M-a-pop residents are coming from! I mean it's great, but it's not like a lot of Saudi oil princes are looking for a vacation home in Philadelphia. It's wild. I love that Philadelphia is finally blowing up.
Really expensive homes are pretty normal in most of Philly's peers.

Old Posted Apr 19, 2015, 8:02 AM

Quote:
The suburbs largely. There is a lot of wealth in the Main Line that is beginning to prefer the city. I'm not worried about this project. It will sell well and quickly (has been already). But I am dubious about the number of $2+ million condos and townhomes that will be hitting the market generally. I hope I'm wrong.

Old Posted Apr 20, 2015, 12:52 PM
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by jsbrook View Post
The suburbs largely. There is a lot of wealth in the Main Line that is beginning to prefer the city. I'm not worried about this project. It will sell well and quickly (has been already). But I am dubious about the number of $2+ million condos and townhomes that will be hitting the market generally. I hope I'm wrong.
PBJ had a recent article about the slow market for multi million dollar estate homes on the Mainline. Increased interest in pricey city condos was cited as a factor in the mediocre appreciation and lack of sales activity on large, pricey homes in the western suburbs. It seems the demand for 10k sf homes on 3 acres isnt what it used to be.

Old Posted Apr 20, 2015, 2:52 PM

Quote:
What's more troublesome is that the Brutalist monstrosity next-door was ever allowed to happen shortly after they leveled Society Hill and ripped out two Frank Furness masterpieces.
The Penn Mutual tower with the facadectomy? That is an award winning design. I admire it every time I walk within view of it.

Re: Furness... Are you referring to the tragic loss of the Provident Trust building a few blocks away? Your post could leave a reader with the impression that Provident Trust was leveled to make way for Penn Mutual (although I understand that was probably not your intention).

Old Posted Apr 20, 2015, 2:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by techchallenger View Post
The Penn Mutual tower with the facadectomy? That is an award winning design. I admire it every time I walk within view of it.
I think Penn Mutual is definitely one of the best brutalist buildings in Philly. Not saying much, bit it is a nice building.

Old Posted Apr 21, 2015, 9:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1487 View Post
PBJ had a recent article about the slow market for multi million dollar estate homes on the Mainline. Increased interest in pricey city condos was cited as a factor in the mediocre appreciation and lack of sales activity on large, pricey homes in the western suburbs. It seems the demand for 10k sf homes on 3 acres isnt what it used to be.
Yeah, I think more people are realizing that 10,000 square feet is stupid big and not really where it's at. People that can afford that on the Main Line can live like kings in 5,000 square feet in the City and send their kids (if they have them and they are school age) to any school they want.

Old Posted Apr 22, 2015, 12:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by techchallenger View Post

Re: Furness... Are you referring to the tragic loss of the Provident Trust building a few blocks away? Your post could leave a reader with the impression that Provident Trust was leveled to make way for Penn Mutual (although I understand that was probably not your intention).
No, you're right. I'm referring to the one that was demolished in front of Carpenter's Hall, and the one across the street. There were two on Chestnut, I forget which was the PTB. Both were beautiful, especially the one in front of Carpenter's Hall.

I don't hate the PMT, and I like that they kept the old Egyptian facade. I just can't imagine complaining about 500 Walnut (which I wouldn't) without citing that building.

Old Posted Apr 30, 2015, 11:32 PM

Old Posted May 2, 2015, 5:39 PM

More photos here:

Old Posted May 7, 2015, 8:58 PM
Fishtown & Country

Hard to get good pics since they put up that printed screen around the perimeter. Hole is getting deeper. From Thursday, 5/7-

Old Posted May 15, 2015, 1:20 AM

Old Posted May 19, 2015, 12:47 AM

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > Buildings & Architecture > Completed Project Threads Archive