HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > Buildings & Architecture > Completed Project Threads Archive

250 West 55th Street in the SkyscraperPage Database

Building Data Page   • Comparison Diagram   • New York Skyscraper Diagram

Map Location
New York Projects & Construction Forum

Old Posted Aug 8, 2012, 10:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by THE BIG APPLE View Post
Well it's nearly finished. Just cladding and interior work to go. But although it's a great filler it's still one of those many dime a dozen fillers we have in NYC. I remember when a one of a kind in NYC 1000+ TWISTING building was proposed for this very site. Wasted potential in my opinion. The right people couldn't collaborate and get a good job done.

I don't think it will be too long before we get a building on the same scale as that one in the vicinity of 250W 55th considering the rate at which projects are being announced and starting construction.

Old Posted Aug 9, 2012, 3:48 AM
Mr. Technology

Wow, a wasted opportunity indeed.

Old Posted Aug 9, 2012, 12:25 PM

^^^^^

soo this building will be getting built? and by what year?

Old Posted Aug 9, 2012, 12:30 PM
Khurram Parvaz

^ No it will not be getting built any time soon, because a glass filler named 250 W 55th St is already built at the proposed site.

Old Posted Aug 9, 2012, 12:37 PM
An Optimistic Realist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eidolon View Post
I don't think it will be too long before we get a building on the same scale as that one in the vicinity of 250W 55th considering the rate at which projects are being announced and starting construction.
Yeah, I would like them to a design similar to this. NYC needs all the new towers it can get.

Old Posted Aug 9, 2012, 4:01 PM
Astorian

I thought that twisting tower was one of the building designs proposed for 225 West 57th Street, not for this location.

I think you may have confused the two locations.

Old Posted Aug 9, 2012, 5:02 PM
Mortaaaaaaaaar!

Nope, that design was proposed for this spot at one time, and the rejected design for 225w57 is a completely different design, aside from the fact they twist in the top half.

Quote:
Originally Posted by STERNyc View Post
Hopefully the current market kills this disgusting tower. Hopefully when the market returns down the road something spectacular like the proposal by the previous developer will get built.

Old Posted Aug 9, 2012, 6:46 PM

^^^ this would look awesome at the 42nd and Madison site right next to Grand Central. Maybe even just a little taller?

Old Posted Aug 9, 2012, 7:25 PM
don't *meddle*...

There should be a law forbidding to build skyscrapers < 700' in Midtown as they are hardly visible. If they don't have the money to build that high... well build somewhere else- Brooklyn would be a good place.

But I mean seriously, all those recent skyscrapers going up in Midtown (this, Gem Tower etc) are totally hidden. Only One57 (and 1715 Broadway at certain angles) stand out.

Old Posted Aug 9, 2012, 8:22 PM
Mr. Technology

Quote:
Originally Posted by hunser View Post
There should be a law forbidding to build skyscrapers < 700' in Midtown as they are hardly visible.
I agree !!

All we need is NYguy to propose this idea to the city council and we're in !!

Old Posted Aug 9, 2012, 9:28 PM
Khurram Parvaz

Quote:
There should be a law forbidding to build skyscrapers < 700' in Midtown as they are hardly visible.
Not because they are hardly visible, BUT because there's scarce good land left on the island of Manhattan. Now you look at the parcel of land this building sits on and you can't say it's not valuable unless you're delusional. Then you look at what could've gone on this parcel of valuable land. Twisting Tower (or something even better) > What we got (glass box)

Old Posted Aug 9, 2012, 10:15 PM
Astorian

Quote:
Originally Posted by scalziand View Post
Nope, that design was proposed for this spot at one time, and the rejected design for 225w57 is a completely different design, aside from the fact they twist in the top half.
Oh I see, I put in 225 W. 57th Street and got a picture of the model that was proposed there. They look similar in a way, the only difference is 225 had a large bottom and then smaller top.

Old Posted Aug 9, 2012, 11:04 PM
An Optimistic Realist

Quote:
There should be a law forbidding to build skyscrapers < 700' in Midtown as they are hardly visible. If they don't have the money to build that high... well build somewhere else- Brooklyn would be a good place.

But I mean seriously, all those recent skyscrapers going up in Midtown (this, Gem Tower etc) are totally hidden. Only One57 (and 1715 Broadway at certain angles) stand out.
I agree. The other boroughs need to develop as well. It would take pressure off the Manhattan office market and would make NYC much taller than it is now.

Old Posted Aug 10, 2012, 10:13 AM

Quote:
-
This building, 250 W.55th, is more toward the edge of the Western flank of Midtown, so it doesn't need to be quite as tall to stand out like it would on, say, E.42nd street away from the East River.

1715 Broadway, which is going up right near here, will stick up quite a bit in the skyline at over 700 feet.

250 E.57th will stick out quite a bit whenever it continues construction.

One57 as you mentioned, can already be seen from here on Staten Island.

432 park will rival WTC1 in it's visibility.

You also have buildings like the Pyramid and 400 Park, which won't have much in the way of tall neighbors, so they will be quite visible.

The Gem Tower is situated in a area of Midtown I like to call "the Midtown Valley," the area between 5th & 6th, and 43rd and 49th (6 square blocks, which only contain 3 buildings as tall or taller than the Gem Tower). Due to this, it stands out near that area, and certainly from any vantage point within any of the buildings facing the "the Midtown Valley". It's shimmering facade might be a little ridiculous at 700+ feet, although I'll admit another 100 feet would have been cool. None the less, the textures on this allow it to stand out on the street wall, even from across the Hudson and East rivers when looking down 46th or 47th streets.

Then keep in mind all of the proposals and on-hold buildings. Just go check out the maps feature here on SSP, and I think it'll make you feel more positive about the future skyline.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jd3189 View Post
I agree. The other boroughs need to develop as well. It would take pressure off the Manhattan office market and would make NYC much taller than it is now.
-
I could see Brooklyn & Queens along the East River, and even the portion of the Bronx flanking Northern Manhattan. but I'd like to keep the rest of the city low-rise, particularly here in Staten Island.

Old Posted Aug 10, 2012, 3:38 PM

250 West 55th will be semi-prominent until something larger rises across 8th Avenue. Until then, the... box... will be quite visible.

If only the old proposal had actually risen...

Midtown Panorama & Full Update

Old Posted Aug 10, 2012, 7:00 PM
World Machine

May not be as intriguing as the other proposal, however this is a 'box done right'. The quality of the cladding saves the building - I've been a fan of this project since it was first announced, and am very satisfied with the (near) end result.

Old Posted Aug 29, 2012, 9:40 PM

Agreed. It isn't exciting, but IMO the curtainwall did turn out well.

(photos by me)

Old Posted Aug 30, 2012, 2:46 AM
Bionic Boogie

IMG_6087 copy by Ceva321, on Flickr

IMG_6089 copy by Ceva321, on Flickr

IMG_6090 copy by Ceva321, on Flickr

IMG_6091 copy by Ceva321, on Flickr

SSP member since 2003
Please do not use any of my photos or videos without my permission. thanks

Old Posted Sep 2, 2012, 1:17 PM
New Yorker for life

“Office buildings are our factories – whether for tech, creative or traditional industries we must continue to grow our modern factories to create new jobs,” said United States Senator Chuck Schumer.

Old Posted Sep 2, 2012, 4:33 PM
Show me the blueprints

This is quality.

And Ill take quality any day over an overwrought mess of materials of dubious quality taller than this anyday.

There is no goodness in him, and his power to convince people otherwise is beyond understanding

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > Buildings & Architecture > Completed Project Threads Archive