HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Ontario > Hamilton > Downtown & City of Hamilton

Old Posted Oct 5, 2023, 11:40 PM
Ham-burgher

Quote:
Originally Posted by atnor View Post
Kroestch is trying to play both sides with his and ritsmans dialogue.
Anyone know what was in the thread he deleted? If there were responses, that's not good engagement either.

Old Posted Oct 5, 2023, 11:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by atnor View Post
Kroestch is trying to play both sides with his and ritsmans dialogue.
I know Cameron personally, and while I voted for him, volunteered for him, and overall like him and his ideas, we don't necessarily agree on everything. I am transparent in my support of him, but will disagree with him if I think he's made a wrong decision, and he knows this. I appreciate him for being okay with this.

All that being said, I honestly think very few people came to the meeting because there's actually not that much residential around this property, and the people that do live near likely support or are indifferent on this proposal.

I've been publicly critical of tall buildings, but if there's a spot in the city where additional height makes sense, it's this property, near no significant residential, surrounded by vacant land and parking.

My biggest criticism of this development was above ground parking, too many parking stalls and lack of significant retail space in a commercial desert of sorts.

I honestly would be okay with getting together with some forumers to voice support for this proposal to both staff and any future OMB hearing or even before to ask for this to be prioritized.

Follow me on Twitter: https://x.com/ham_bicycleguy?t=T_fx3...SIZNGfD4A&s=09

Old Posted Oct 6, 2023, 12:00 AM

The problem is, Cameron Kroetsch is fundamentally anti home ownership and anti-condo. he says it in his latest opinion piece in the Spectator. "Hamilton is facing an affordable housing crisis. We see cranes across our skyline, but almost none of them are building much-needed affordable housing. People can’t afford to keep a roof over their heads."

So it's no surprise he's doing everything he can to shut down big owner occupied condominium developments in the downtown. Don't expect that to change.

Old Posted Oct 6, 2023, 12:05 AM
Ham-burgher

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheHonestMaple View Post
The problem is, Cameron Kroetsch is fundamentally anti home ownership and anti-condo. he says it in his latest opinion piece in the Spectator. "Hamilton is facing an affordable housing crisis. We see cranes across our skyline, but almost none of them are building much-needed affordable housing. People can’t afford to keep a roof over their heads."
He's not wrong. I don't know him, nor have I thought about where I stand relative to him on many issues. But I do think opposing these kinds of developments doesn't offer a solution.

I see him as another in a long line of outspoken city counsellors. Some of them tilted at so many windmills people began to tune them out or found comedy instead of reason in what they were saying.

Old Posted Oct 6, 2023, 3:11 AM

I just read Kroetsch's Twitter exchange with Ritsman, and I couldn't help but notice the condescending and demeaning tone he used. Not necessarily directed at Ritsman, but rather towards those who will read the exchange. It feels as though he regards us as beneath him, like he knows all about municipal developments, which can be quite frustrating. It seems he has difficulty acknowledging the validity of others' viewpoints.

I have no doubt he'll serve only one term as a councilor. He doesn't seem to grasp the intricacies of playing the political game. By trying to please everyone, he pleases no one at all.

Old Posted Oct 6, 2023, 1:55 PM
Burger Connoisseur

Quote:
Originally Posted by Innsertnamehere View Post
Email or call your local councillor and Cameron if you want - their emails are are available on the cities website.

@Ritsma has already had a discussion with Kroetsch on this one on Twitter - thanks. I think this entire board is in relatively rare agreement on this one.

I posted the Spec Article on this on Reddit as well and the response there was basically universal support.

I think almost everyone thinks the city made a mistake on the decision here. I hope council can get enough feedback to change directions and direct staff to support the application at the OLT, not oppose it, as they directed.
I emailed Cameron regarding my disappointment on this proposal being denied and the overall stance against height, red tape and the glacial pace of things when were in a housing crisis and how now is the time to be partnering up with developers build those good relationships to encourage a percentage of units at and below market rents by working with them instead of against them. I'm going to send the same email to the mayor as well but tweaked slightly.

Old Posted Oct 6, 2023, 2:14 PM

Didn't Kroetsch himself oppose a new building on the LRT route on the Days Inn property near I believe his old house on NIMBY grounds? At the end of the day he's a far-left idealogue and I would expect him to frequently oppose these projects.

Old Posted Oct 6, 2023, 5:17 PM
Concerned Citizen

Quote:
Originally Posted by drpgq View Post
Didn't Kroetsch himself oppose a new building on the LRT route on the Days Inn property near I believe his old house on NIMBY grounds? At the end of the day he's a far-left idealogue and I would expect him to frequently oppose these projects.
No he's just an idiot. Most of Toronto has been developed under left wing councils during the 80' and 90's. Even today Toronto councils are fairly left leaning yet still approve massive developments.

Old Posted Dec 12, 2023, 4:37 PM

Just getting caught up on this Thread but in summary this project is stalled until the OLT gives a decision. Has a date been set for the appeal trial?

Old Posted Dec 12, 2023, 9:14 PM
Hamilton Historian

We'll see if this ever breaks ground I guess..

Old Posted Dec 12, 2023, 9:25 PM

https://jus-olt-prod.powerappsportal...7-0022483c7082

case management conference scheduled for January.

I imagine we will be looking at a hearing in the Fall and a decision, if a settlement can't be reached, some time late in 2024 or early 2025.

End

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Ontario > Hamilton > Downtown & City of Hamilton