HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Ontario > Hamilton > Downtown & City of Hamilton

Old Posted Nov 7, 2020, 2:46 PM

186 Ferguson Ave N & Barton St E

There is this new weird proposal that I guess is an upzoning sale. It seems they have upzoned the property perhaps and are selling it with the renders and plans already available. This is where the hospital parking is located. I'm a bit confused on what this plan is, but I'm still looking into it. Seems to have a "deadline" of December this year for a buyer.

If this ever does get built, I hope the design changes to have the building that is on Barton, right up against the street and with commercial. The commercial street wall of Barton should really begin to continue to James. It would help immensely to continue that street wall and get people in the middle of it.

I also don't understand what I supposed to happen to all the hospital parking.

https://www.commerciallistings.cbre....chure%20CA.pdf

https://vimeo.com/469908784/5cd493f4a4

Follow me on Twitter: https://x.com/ham_bicycleguy?t=T_fx3...SIZNGfD4A&s=09

Old Posted Nov 7, 2020, 2:58 PM

The land is for sale and they likely paid a couple grand to have preliminary plans drawn up to illustrate the potential density of the site. I wouldn’t read too much into the renderings.

I would expect to see a proposal, looking different than above, in about a year or so once the site sells and the new owner has time to prepare a development plan.

Old Posted Nov 7, 2020, 6:51 PM
It's Hammer Time

Just ten years ago, this land was a giant fenced-in empty field and now look at it.

https://www.google.com/maps/@43.2614...7i13312!8i6656

If I remember right, it used to be an industrial site and had brownfield remediation done.

Old Posted Nov 7, 2020, 9:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SteelTown View Post
Just ten years ago, this land was a giant fenced-in empty field and now look at it.

https://www.google.com/maps/@43.2614...7i13312!8i6656

If I remember right, it used to be an industrial site and had brownfield remediation done.
Been industrial since I could find reliable photos across Elgin there was a freight yard, and some sort of factory where the parking lots are now. The Ferguson tracks snaked off from the road, that's why the lots are a bit oddly shaped.

Old Posted Nov 9, 2020, 5:18 PM

Looks interesting, but seems odd CBRE (reputable commercial real estate player) would just sell the idea of this planned project versus being involved. Definitely would give Barton a different look in this area.

While I agree with TheRitsman on stretching the street scape to James, it's quite fractured around here with the Village stretch (undergone some nice evolution the last few years) to the east and hospital, jail, and then disjointed until closer to James, around Hughson where that vibe picks up again.

Some of the views in the video made me think, imagine if parts of the deadzone on Barton had planned communities like this between here and Ottawa, you'd really have some nice density and views of the water/escarpment for higher floors, god forbid the height limit of course.

Old Posted Nov 10, 2020, 3:54 PM
Ham-burgher

Whatever eventually gets built there should definitely be right up to Barton.

The A&W and Timmies are missing from that render, but one would think a developer would want to purchase those lots too. And perhaps the one on the corner of Wellington and Barton... not sure what's going on with that; there was this proposal for a medical building that originated in 2016, evolved into mixed-use and apparently went to the DRP in August (did it?)

Old Posted Nov 10, 2020, 3:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by craftbeerdad View Post
Looks interesting, but seems odd CBRE (reputable commercial real estate player) would just sell the idea of this planned project versus being involved. Definitely would give Barton a different look in this area.

While I agree with TheRitsman on stretching the street scape to James, it's quite fractured around here with the Village stretch (undergone some nice evolution the last few years) to the east and hospital, jail, and then disjointed until closer to James, around Hughson where that vibe picks up again.

Some of the views in the video made me think, imagine if parts of the deadzone on Barton had planned communities like this between here and Ottawa, you'd really have some nice density and views of the water/escarpment for higher floors, god forbid the height limit of course.
CBRE is literally a commercial real estate agency. Their entire job is to sell land.

I believe they recently started a department where they act as an agent on behalf of a landowner to advance development approvals (be the developer for a landowner without such expertise), but that's clearly not the case here.

Old Posted Nov 10, 2020, 6:06 PM

CBRE isn't literally a commercial real estate agency that only sells land. That's one of five business functions, on top of investment management, property management, commercial leases and capital markets functions.

Old Posted Jan 3, 2024, 2:59 PM

New Application submitted for this site:

Picture1 by Hawrylyshyn

This would be HUGE -- over 2000 units + a community centre

Old Posted Jan 3, 2024, 7:18 PM

A community centre? That is interesting. Would happen to know who submitted the application? Thanks

Old Posted Jan 3, 2024, 7:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tommyboy123 View Post
A community centre? That is interesting. Would happen to know who submitted the application? Thanks
Not sure who sorry.

Also worth noting it's actually a "Formal Consultation" not an "Application". Innsertnamehere recently gave me a good explanation of the difference.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Innsertnamehere View Post
Important to note that an FC is not an "application", technically. It's "Formal Consultation", which means the would-be-applicant gave a basic drawing to the city for them to look at to confirm what approvals they would need and to provide some preliminary feedback.

End

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Ontario > Hamilton > Downtown & City of Hamilton