HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Ontario > Hamilton > Downtown & City of Hamilton

Old Posted Jan 3, 2024, 7:52 PM

205 Cannon St East| ?m | 25s | Proposed

Development Applications: FC-23-072

File Number: FC-23-072
Application Type: Formal Consultation
Address: 205 CANNON ST E
File Year: 2023
Description: To redevelop with a 25-storey mixed use building containing approx. 277 residential units and ±450 m2 of commercial space. Includes ±176 parking spaces.
Proposed Total Residential Units: 277

This is the fugly building directly across the street from 220 Cannon:
Picture6, on Flickr

Old Posted Jan 5, 2024, 2:45 PM
Hammer'd

Almost anything would be an improvement for that piece of land.
"Above all, Hamilton must learn to think like a city, not a suburban hybrid where residents drive everywhere. What makes Hamilton interesting is the fact it's a city. The sprawl that surrounds it, which can be found all over North America, is running out of time."

Old Posted Jan 5, 2024, 2:56 PM

Its too bad 220 Cannon St E commercial at grade is STILL vacant

Old Posted Jan 5, 2024, 3:47 PM

I walk by this site every day and I would be thrilled to see this come to fruition. There's a burned out building kitty-corner and part of the other half of that block was recently levelled. 220 Cannon St E across the street from this site must be asking preposterous commercial rents, but it's also not exactly a block that businesses are going to be flocking to for the time being.

Last edited by SFUVancouver; Jan 8, 2024 at 7:45 PM.

Old Posted Jan 5, 2024, 9:59 PM
Ham-burgher

Cannon could become one of the city's most changed streets, if proposals like this one and those close to James pan out.

Old Posted Jan 5, 2024, 10:00 PM

Cannon will already be the City's most congested street once King St closes for the LRT.

Old Posted Jan 6, 2024, 4:20 AM
Hamilton Historian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ScreamingViking View Post
Cannon could become one of the city's most changed streets, if proposals like this one and those close to James pan out.
It's fun to dream.. isn't it.

Old Posted Jan 6, 2024, 4:59 AM
Ham-burgher

After seeing very little happen from the 1980s to the 2010s, all the change downtown feels very dreamy.

Cannon is already quite congested between Wellington and York during morning and afternoon peak periods. This worsens considerably if curb lanes are blocked for any reason. But I expect that in a city core, and it just means planning ahead and leaving a bit more time for an auto trip across town.

Old Posted Jan 6, 2024, 5:05 AM
Hamilton Historian

Quote:
After seeing very little happen from the 1980s to the 2010s, all the change downtown feels very dreamy.

Cannon is already quite congested between Wellington and York during morning and afternoon peak periods. This worsens considerably if curb lanes are blocked for any reason. But I expect that in a city core, and it just means planning ahead and leaving a bit more time for an auto trip across town.
I meant it's fun to dream about cannon - I don't think either of us will see that transformation in our lifetimes - that's a LOOOOONG stretch of crap.

Smart people take the cut along the escarpment - shortens time across town considerably.

Old Posted Jan 6, 2024, 5:49 AM
Ham-burgher

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chronamut View Post
Smart people take the cut along the escarpment - shortens time across town considerably.
Definitely. I find the Sherman Access very convenient at times. For me it means having to first travel east to go west, but when the routing lights on the access are favourable it's a quicker trip (with one of the BEST views of the lower city). It's often congested closer to the Cut, but I'd wager it's still faster than fighting traffic on King or Cannon, and for me that view more than makes up for any waiting.

When heading west, the downside is the condition of Charlton especially west of John St. If I'm travelling eastward from the city centre I'll usually follow the Delaware bus route across Stinson/Delaware/Maplewood. Very interesting neighbourhoods, with some of the most impressive houses in the city.

Old Posted Jan 6, 2024, 7:29 PM
Hamilton Historian

There is also the detriment that you have to basically go 50 along the entire downtown stretch to ensure you hit all the green lights or you'll end up hitting every red light.

But totally agreed, the cut offers the best view of the city - it's amazing how much sprawling residential we still have, and the factories still dominate the distance.

Old Posted Jan 7, 2024, 1:01 AM
Concerned Citizen

Quote:

You think Cannon is bad now just wait until they destroy King St. with the LRT and make Main two way. The lower city is going to be a traffic disaster.

Old Posted Jan 7, 2024, 6:58 AM
Ham-burgher

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigguy1231 View Post
You think Cannon is bad now just wait until they destroy King St. with the LRT and make Main two way. The lower city is going to be a traffic disaster.
But finally tuned more for people than cars.

Old Posted Jan 7, 2024, 1:20 PM
Hammer'd

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigguy1231 View Post
Good. With the cars going that slow people will actually be able to enjoy living in the lower city neighborhoods.
"Above all, Hamilton must learn to think like a city, not a suburban hybrid where residents drive everywhere. What makes Hamilton interesting is the fact it's a city. The sprawl that surrounds it, which can be found all over North America, is running out of time."

Old Posted Jan 8, 2024, 6:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SFUVancouver View Post
I walk by this site every day and I would be thrilled to see this come to fruition. There's a burned out building kitty-corner and part of the other half of that block was recently levelled. 220 Cannon St E across the street from this site must be asking preposterous commercial rents, but it's also not exactly a block that businesses are going to be flocked to for the time being.
From what I've heard Vrancor basically asks for absolutely bonkers rent to then claim as a loss. If someone is willing to pay the rent price then they'll actually rent it out, but most won't pay their exorbitant prices.

Follow me on Twitter: https://x.com/ham_bicycleguy?t=T_fx3...SIZNGfD4A&s=09

Old Posted Jan 9, 2024, 12:18 AM
Hamilton Historian

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheRitsman View Post
From what I've heard Vrancor basically asks for absolutely bonkers rent to then claim as a loss. If someone is willing to pay the rent price then they'll actually rent it out, but most won't pay their exorbitant prices.
So what, he's pulling a china, building entire cities worth of vacant buildings?

Old Posted Jan 9, 2024, 2:29 PM
Ham-burgher

The man has been instrumental in building a lot of units downtown and helping to transform the skyline and cityscape. Kudos for that.

But it was all founded on a shady line of "business" and is handled with conduct that often seems to lack scruples.

Old Posted Jan 9, 2024, 5:48 PM

Quote:
The man has been instrumental in building a lot of units downtown and helping to transform the skyline and cityscape. Kudos for that.

But it was all founded on a shady line of "business" and is handled with conduct that often seems to lack scruples.
I've heard stories where he uses envelopes of money to make things go away.

End

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Ontario > Hamilton > Downtown & City of Hamilton