HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Ontario > Hamilton > Downtown & City of Hamilton

Old Posted Feb 5, 2024, 3:10 PM

304 Main Street East | ?m | 23 & 25 fl

Originally shared on UT:

Redevelopment of the Canadian Tire at Main and Victoria:

File Number: FC-24-020
Application Type: Formal Consultation
Address: 304 MAIN ST E
File Year: 2024
Description: To develop 355 dwelling units within 2 residential towers of 23 and 25 storeys with a shared 7-storey podium, 1,256 m2 of outdoor amenity area, and 24 dwelling units within a 5-storey building with 96 m2 rooftop amenity area, and 248 underground parking spots.
Proposed Total Residential Units: 379

Developer is CT REIT

Old Posted Feb 5, 2024, 5:43 PM

This is an unexpected positive development. The more you can clean up the zombie travel zone corridor, the better. On top of that since CT is developing the location it ensures a better CT in the same area (larger sections for key needs). That must mean the gas station is gonzo? If so that will require remediation. Hopefully not, the MCM canopy is pretty dope.

Now if only they redevelop the Wellington/Main plaza and let's say the No Frills plaza (owned by Choice Properties-Loblaws property arm).

Old Posted Feb 7, 2024, 5:18 AM

Sucks to lose the gas station canopy, be nice to move it over to shelter the bus stop.

Old Posted Feb 8, 2024, 8:04 PM
Ham-burgher

Quote:
Originally Posted by ohhimark View Post
Sucks to lose the gas station canopy, be nice to move it over to shelter the bus stop.
Perhaps it's a "heritage structure." It was there before the store was remodelled, but I don't recall how far back in the past.

Street view goes back to 2007: https://maps.app.goo.gl/zRxT8tcsgvZh3Kzc9

Old Posted Feb 8, 2024, 9:22 PM

satellite images from 1969 show it not being there -looks like some sort of beautiful 19th century building stood there instead.

by 1995 it was there however:

Unfortunately I don't have access to images between those dates. Let me know if anyone knows of any! My guess is that it's from some time in the 1970's.

Old Posted Feb 8, 2024, 9:27 PM
Hammer'd

I would have guessed the same. I knew it was there at least since I moved here in 2000. I also recall there was a fire at the pumps some time in the early 2000's but they seemed to fix it up pretty good after that.
"Above all, Hamilton must learn to think like a city, not a suburban hybrid where residents drive everywhere. What makes Hamilton interesting is the fact it's a city. The sprawl that surrounds it, which can be found all over North America, is running out of time."

Old Posted Feb 8, 2024, 10:13 PM

From a CBC article Apr 01, 2014

Quote:
The retail store near the corner of Main Street East and Victoria was built in the early 1930s, with the gas bar constructed in the early 1970s
Quote:
The city will not be adding a swooping Canadian Tire gas bar canopy to its registry of heritage properties.
A resident asked the city to consider listing the canopy at 304 Main St. E. on the list of properties with heritage value. Inclusion on the registry would mean the corporation would have to wait 60 days for a demolition permit rather than 20 days.
Canadian Tire doesn’t want the designation, said Scott Arbuckle, a planner with IBI Group, at a planning committee meeting on Tuesday. Arbuckle and Matt Johnston represented Canadian Tire at the meeting.
“It’s a giant concrete gas bar canopy that has no ability to integrate into any sort of mixed-use proposal,” Arbuckle said.
Quote:
Councillors simply received the report, which means no further action.

Old Posted Feb 10, 2024, 8:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LikeHamilton View Post
From a CBC article Apr 01, 2014
Nice find I wouldn't have thought it was concrete, maybe that's why it has lasted this long.

Old Posted Feb 11, 2024, 2:04 AM
Ham-burgher

Agreed. Nice discovery

Old Posted Feb 12, 2024, 4:08 PM

Just incorporate the canopy into the entrance so it looks like an old school high rise in Durand. Problem solved.

Can't imagine this development will be ready before 2030 with remediation, higher rates, etc. Plus this area is the zombie zone highway, and if another social assistance group like the Salvation Army goes in across the street (rumoured) after a recent sale, this area will be super concentrated.

Old Posted Feb 12, 2024, 5:40 PM
Hamilton Historian

Quote:
Originally Posted by craftbeerdad View Post
Just incorporate the canopy into the entrance so it looks like an old school high rise in Durand. Problem solved.

Can't imagine this development will be ready before 2030 with remediation, higher rates, etc. Plus this area is the zombie zone highway, and if another social assistance group like the Salvation Army goes in across the street (rumoured) after a recent sale, this area will be super concentrated.
Lol I misread that as "super-contaminated" - although maybe that was a freudian slip on my part..

yeah unfortunately wherever that stuff is "relocated" to is going to destroy the surrounding area more or less so its like "where are we going to set up this area as a "quarantine" for lack of a better word.. might actually hurt canadian tires business to have the salvation army there.. we need a "business district" that just deals with helping the poor. Like oliver twist lol.

Not putting down the poor by any means before the bleeding hearts on here start shouting at me.

Old Posted Feb 12, 2024, 6:04 PM
Ham-burgher

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chronamut View Post
we need a "business district" that just deals with helping the poor. Like oliver twist lol
Parts of wards 2 and 3 are already much like that.

What we need is to distribute social services across the entire city, so people can get the help they need without having to concentrate in a few places. But that'll never fly politically.

Old Posted Feb 12, 2024, 7:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ScreamingViking View Post
Parts of wards 2 and 3 are already much like that.

What we need is to distribute social services across the entire city, so people can get the help they need without having to concentrate in a few places. But that'll never fly politically.
Are you referring to the relocated mission shelter on King? There is no way another will be going in.

Old Posted Feb 12, 2024, 7:07 PM
Ham-burgher

Quote:
Originally Posted by Allroadsleadtoham View Post
Are you referring to the relocated mission shelter on King? There is no way another will be going in.
I haven't heard the rumour Craftbeerdad was referring to. I can see the SA leaving York in the coming years, but I think another location in the central city will be their only option. Exactly where that could be... who knows. I also have no idea if there are other groups planning similar future facilities in Hamilton.

Old Posted Feb 12, 2024, 8:00 PM

The building across the street from CT sold a month or two back and yes there's a very good chance it's the Salvation Army that bought it. Parts of the Stinson community association voiced their worry to Nrinder, but she doesn't really care. Our neighbourhood has the highest ratio of social services/assistance within ward 3, which is nutty.

Old Posted Feb 12, 2024, 8:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by craftbeerdad View Post
The building across the street from CT sold a month or two back and yes there's a very good chance it's the Salvation Army that bought it. Parts of the Stinson community association voiced their worry to Nrinder, but she doesn't really care. Our neighbourhood has the highest ratio of social services/assistance within ward 3, which is nutty.
Interesting, are they planning on moving their operation from York?

End

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Ontario > Hamilton > Downtown & City of Hamilton