HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Southeast > Atlanta

Old Posted Dec 17, 2017, 11:23 PM
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by Libertarian View Post
This is it. I can't deal with the incompetence of this city any more...they don't even have contingent planning for simple electrical outage situations. Me and Delta are relocating.
Don't blame the CoA or Hartsfield Jackson Airport. Blame GA Power - a $8.4 Billion publicly traded monopoly.

This is a prime example why privatization of public services in most case leads to infrastructure obsolescence, higher costs and executives robbing the bank.

RISE UP!

Old Posted Dec 17, 2017, 11:30 PM
Closed account

Quote:
Originally Posted by Atlanta3000 View Post
Don't blame the CoA or Hartsfield Jackson Airport. Blame GA Power - a $8.4 Billion publicly traded monopoly.

This is a prime example why privatization of public services in most case leads to infrastructure obsolescence, higher costs and executives robbing the bank.

RISE UP!
Everyone involved shares some blame for this situation:

*Delta - For trying to route so many of their flights through ATL, which is overcapacity, while underutilizing their other major hubs (DTW and MSP).

*The City of Atlanta - For not having *ANY* contingency plan in place for this type of emergency (inexcuseable).

Old Posted Dec 17, 2017, 11:36 PM
Closed account

BTW, this couldn't have happened at a worst time, as Amazon's not going to look at this situation positively when making their decision for HQ2.

Old Posted Dec 17, 2017, 11:41 PM
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by skyscraperpage17 View Post
Everyone involved shares some blame for this situation:

*Delta - For trying to route so many of their flights through ATL, which is overcapacity, while underutilizing their other major hubs (DTW and MSP).

*The City of Atlanta - For not having *ANY* contingency plan in place for this type of emergency (inexcusable).
S17 - this is like blaming the CoA and my WiFi router manufacturer when my Comcast is down.

Something makes me think the power grid was hacked. The airport has back up generators and lighting. The only way for those not to work is for a massive infrastructure failure or the system was hacked. Bad scenarios either way.

Old Posted Dec 17, 2017, 11:46 PM
Closed account

Quote:
Originally Posted by Atlanta3000 View Post
S17 - this is like blaming the CoA and my WiFi router manufacturer when my Comcast is down.

Something makes me think the power grid was hacked. The airport has back up generators and lighting. The only way for those not to work is for a massive infrastructure failure or the system was hacked. Bad scenarios either way.
My point is, sticking to your analogy, you should never put yourself in a position where you're relying solely on Comcast to operate and you should have a backup plan in place in case Comcast fails you.

If nothing else, this incident will be a good lesson for future planning for all of the stakeholders.

Old Posted Dec 18, 2017, 12:35 AM
America's Mars Rocket

this is a huge disaster in the making. For the worlds busiest airport to be shutdown in a matter of minutes is frightening.
It might as well be a terrorist attack.

Old Posted Dec 18, 2017, 1:16 AM
Closed account

BTW, these are the daily flights per hub between the 3 major airlines. Notice the big difference in Delta's distribution of flights compared to American / United?

Delta:
ATL - 1038
DTW - 455
MSP - 439
LGA - 274
SLC - 256
JFK -223
LAX - 175
SEA - 127
CVG - 87
BOS - 83

American:
DFW - 804
CLT - 664
ORD - 498
PHL - 400
MIA - 350
PHX - 299
DCA - 250
LAX - 225
LGA - 173
JFK - 105

United:
ORD - 528
IAH - 483
EWR - 398
DEN - 370
SFO - 273
IAD - 214
LAX - 138

Old Posted Dec 18, 2017, 2:02 AM

Quote:
BTW, these are the daily flights per hub between the 3 major airlines. Notice the big difference in Delta's distribution of flights compared to American / United?

Delta:
ATL - 1038
DTW - 455
MSP - 439
LGA - 274
SLC - 256
JFK -223
LAX - 175
SEA - 127
CVG - 87
BOS - 83

American:
DFW - 804
CLT - 664
ORD - 498
PHL - 400
MIA - 350
PHX - 299
DCA - 250
LAX - 225
LGA - 173
JFK - 105

United:
ORD - 528
IAH - 483
EWR - 398
DEN - 370
SFO - 273
IAD - 214
LAX - 138
And I'm glad its that way.. Maintaining ATL as the busiest airport in the world.

Old Posted Dec 18, 2017, 3:31 AM

GA power is awful... the way they tack up power poles across the city is almost third world, and we basically accept that here. none of the other places i've lived or visited have had such ugly electrical infrastructure.

Old Posted Dec 18, 2017, 3:51 AM

Quote:
The reason for that is that Delta has historically not had a strong presence in any of the other top 10 markets in the nation. They have only in the last several years built up in NY metro and at LAX.

Old Posted Dec 18, 2017, 6:57 AM
Closed account

Quote:
Originally Posted by One ATLien View Post
And I'm glad its that way.. Maintaining ATL as the busiest airport in the world.
I get *WHY* they're doing it.

But from a consumer perspective, their flight operations wouldn't have been disrupted nearly as much if they were routing more of their flights through DTW, MSP, CVG, etc. instead of forcing them all through ATL to help their home town maintain a status symbol *AND* pad their financial statements to appease shareholders (if we're going to criticize Georgia Power for doing this, might as well do the same to Delta). It should never reach the point where if one airport goes down, your entire network becomes paralyzed due to a lack of alternatives.

Regardless of who's at fault for the outage itself, this is going to be a huge black eye for both the city as well as the Airline as they both could have easily taken steps to mitigate this situation.

Old Posted Dec 18, 2017, 8:08 AM
Closed account

Well, now we know how to get some Chick-Fil-A on a Sunday...

Chick-fil-A breaks Sunday tradition to feed Atlanta airport travellers

http://mashable.com/2017/12/18/chick.../#llb5JNQKvqqC

Old Posted Dec 18, 2017, 11:56 AM

When I vented yesterday I was too hard and judgmental on the ATL administration. Bad stuff happens. We're all the cause of stupid and avoidable mistakes. Let's determine the cause of the problem and lessons learned. Georgia Power says equipment failure was likely the culprit.

Old Posted Dec 18, 2017, 12:20 PM

Quote:
I get *WHY* they're doing it.

But from a consumer perspective, their flight operations wouldn't have been disrupted nearly as much if they were routing more of their flights through DTW, MSP, CVG, etc. instead of forcing them all through ATL to help their home town maintain a status symbol *AND* pad their financial statements to appease shareholders (if we're going to criticize Georgia Power for doing this, might as well do the same to Delta). It should never reach the point where if one airport goes down, your entire network becomes paralyzed due to a lack of alternatives.

Regardless of who's at fault for the outage itself, this is going to be a huge black eye for both the city as well as the Airline as they both could have easily taken steps to mitigate this situation.
Sorry but that doesn't make any sense. Delta has built one of the largest global airlines in the world using ATL as a mega-hub. In doing so, they are the most profitable of the big carriers and are frequently at or near the top for on-time performance. They are not some charitable organization that is putting flights through ATL to benefit the city.

Honestly, some of you are ovverreacting to this. Events out of the control of airlines and airport's happen all the time that shut down airports like the weather. And this is certainly beyond the control of the airport.

Quote:
Georgia Power said the switch that accesses the back-up power system was also damaged in the fire, causing both systems to go down.
http://www.wsbtv.com/news/local/here...port/665360100

Old Posted Dec 18, 2017, 2:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by atlantaguy View Post
That's it exactly. Also about to happen is the demolishing of the parking decks on both sides (North first), to be replaced by new 8 level ones.
Quote:
BTW, this couldn't have happened at a worst time, as Amazon's not going to look at this situation positively when making their decision for HQ2.
This could have happened anywhere, everyone is so fucking quick to jump on Atlanta...

Old Posted Dec 18, 2017, 3:53 PM

GA power. Not Atlanta.

Old Posted Dec 18, 2017, 3:54 PM

Amazon will probably be looking to see how Georgia Power, HJIA, and CoA work to fix the problem and ensure it will not happen again, but I can't imagine that this one failure would have a major impact on their relocation decision. HJIA has been consistent, reliable, and well managed for a very long time. One glitch does not define an airport.

Old Posted Dec 18, 2017, 9:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pemgin View Post
Amazon will probably be looking to see how Georgia Power, HJIA, and CoA work to fix the problem and ensure it will not happen again, but I can't imagine that this one failure would have a major impact on their relocation decision. HJIA has been consistent, reliable, and well managed for a very long time. One glitch does not define an airport.
Disasters happen. A train just crashed in the Seattle area and shut down an interstate. In this case, people died, so I would consider it a worse failure- however, like the power equipment fire, the train derailment might have been difficult to prevent. We will see from both incidents whether there are future preventative measures to put in place.

Old Posted Dec 18, 2017, 11:33 PM
Closed account

I understand why some may disagree, but I stand by my comment.

I agree that ATL is a well-oiled machine most of the time and I also agree that GA Power deserves some of the blame. But I also think that an entity that didn't have an emergency plan in place for this type of situation (City of Atlanta) and an entity who exasperated the problem by their short-term profit-driven style of operations (Delta) share some responsibility for the huge mess that occurred. That's just my opinion and I'm sticking to it.

Old Posted Dec 19, 2017, 1:42 AM

Amazon looking at this and judging Atlanta? pish posh. They operate in Seattle where Sea-Tac is a sliver of ATL's prowess.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Southeast > Atlanta