HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Ontario > Hamilton > Downtown & City of Hamilton

Old Posted Aug 21, 2008, 1:57 PM
It's Hammer Time

Continued Growth for Days Inns - Canada with New Hotel in Hamilton, Ontario

Toronto, ON – August 2008 – Days Inns - Canada today announced the opening of a 60-room Days Inn in Hamilton, Ontario. Minutes from downtown Hamilton, hotel amenities include a fitness centre, meeting facilities, free Daybreak Café breakfast and complimentary wireless Internet in all rooms.

“This impressive property is a welcome addition to our portfolio of hotels in Canada,” said Irwin Prince, President, & COO, Days Inns - Canada. “With the opening of Days Inn - Hamilton, we can offer both the business and leisure traveller an excellent choice in hotel accommodations.”

Conveniently located at 210 Main Street East, Days Inn - Hamilton is amidst a vast selection of museums, shops, restaurants and entertainment. The hotel offers a variety of room types including deluxe rooms with sofa bed and Jacuzzi, as well as wheelchair accessible rooms with roll-in shower. All rooms are fully equipped with free wireless Internet access, work desk, 32” LCD TVs, microwave and fridge, coffee maker, hairdryer, iron and board. Guests can also enjoy complimentary parking, pet-friendly rooms (additional charges will apply) and free local calls.

“We are pleased to join the growing family of Days Inn hotels and look forward to providing guests with modern accommodations at a price that’s just right,” said Azim Kassam, Owner, Days Inn - Hamilton. “Our guests will enjoy great service and value along with all the hotel amenities required by travellers.”

By joining the free Wyndham Rewards(sm) loyalty program, guests will have the opportunity to earn Aeroplan® Miles or Wyndham Rewards(sm) points, which can be redeemed for hundreds of great shopping, dining and entertainment rewards including Canadian Tire, Future Shop, Home Depot, The Keg Steakhouse & Bar and Cineplex.

Reservations for Days Inn - Hamilton can be made by visiting www.daysinn.ca or by calling 1 800 DAYS INN.

Old Posted Aug 27, 2008, 11:10 AM

Judging by the number of cars in the lot they are already doing some decent business, despite their delayed opening.

Old Posted Sep 11, 2008, 5:10 AM
Closed account

Quote:
Originally Posted by LikeHamilton View Post
Taken July 27, 2008

i really wish they'd chosen stucco.

Old Posted Sep 11, 2008, 1:01 PM
Closed account

looking at that last picture I can't help but wonder, "why isn't Main St bustling with cafes, patios, shops and vibrancy?" hmmmm....

Old Posted Sep 11, 2008, 1:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by markbarbera View Post
Judging by the number of cars in the lot they are already doing some decent business, despite their delayed opening.
I don't think travellers wait with baited breath for the opening date of Days Inn, they take whatever's available.

Old Posted Sep 11, 2008, 1:35 PM
Closed account

i wonder, at what point did the owner say, 'oh sh*t, i've made a huge mistake...'?

as far as main is concerned, someday we'll have a council that will recognise the folly of having an expressway running through the city. i'm convinced of that. might be a few years though.

Old Posted Sep 11, 2008, 1:56 PM
Closed account

it'll be many years.

The sad part is, this hotel is one block from the revitalizing stretch of King East in the International Village. If the patrons can get over there without being flattened by a truck, they'd realize they are in a pretty good spot.
Looking out their windows however, they probably wonder where the heck everyone is.

Old Posted Sep 11, 2008, 2:04 PM
Bruatalism gets no respec

wow... i don't know what to say... im stunned.... this is one fugly building.

1. look at those dinky out-of-proportion coach lanterns in the top pic... they scream Home Depot.

2. be careful not to bump your luggage into those canopy poles... or should i say tent poles... it screams Canadian Tire.

3. look at how close the asphalt pavement is to the front doors. You know there will constantly be a black SUV parked right in front blocking everyone with their luggage.

4. I'm speechless over the yellow siding clapboards. Was it on sale or something? I love how the monotony was broken by the dinky red trim--very effective.

5. I wouldn't know what the usage of this building is if it weren't for the pylon sign. Actually I'd be afraid to enter... it might be a methadone clinic or mens detox center.

Those are going to be some dark rooms given the size of the windows.

The 1950s 'lovers motels' in Niagara Falls look much better than this.

Old Posted Sep 11, 2008, 2:09 PM
Closed account

LOL... Realcity, you have me howling out loud at my desk! haha.
Too funny.

Some poor guy is going to attempt to lean against one of those poles someday and have the whole canopy crash down on him.

Old Posted Sep 11, 2008, 2:17 PM

Empress Inn Niagara Falls circa 1950

Admiral Inn Niagara Falls circa 1950-60s

at least I know these are motels

Old Posted Sep 11, 2008, 2:52 PM
On Guard For Thee

You know I think you're all absolutely right. Far better this development had gone elsewhere--the vacant car dealership was far better for the fabric of downtown and certainly created more jobs.

Seriously, it's a Days Inn, direct your energy elsewhere.

Old Posted Sep 11, 2008, 3:26 PM

fcf no one said this development should go somewhere else - just questioning who in their right mind would approve and actually build a plan like this. it's just so -- weird and ugly. and weird. no harm in calling them out on it...

Old Posted Sep 11, 2008, 4:24 PM

I don't think this building should've gone anywhere, Days Inn or not. I think the location is fine, the building is horrible, it looks like a backyard shed on steroids.

Old Posted Sep 11, 2008, 5:22 PM

i think the owner knew what kind of customers he would be getting building a days inn near downtown hamilton (ie. those who just want a bed for a couple of days) and that they wouldn't care if the building looked like crap.

Old Posted Sep 11, 2008, 7:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by FRM View Post
i think the owner knew what kind of customers he would be getting building a days inn near downtown hamilton (ie. those who just want a bed for a couple of days) and that they wouldn't care if the building looked like crap.
As someone who travels a fair amount, a lot of times I am just looking for a clean room at a good price. I could not care what the outside looks like. I do equate a clean looking outside of any style to indicate the inside should be clean. As to my picture and it not being very busy, I took them at 7:30 on a Sunday morning. It is dead downtown at that time. Even if there was traffic, I try and take my picture with little or no traffic so the building is the focus.

Old Posted Sep 11, 2008, 7:36 PM
Closed account

has this board really gotten so stuffy and paranoid that now we're not allowed to question the design of a pile of crap like this???
Geez fastcars, chill out a little. Nobody said an empty lot was preferred. We're just trying to wrap our heads around one of the most poorly designed buildings we've ever seen.
I hope every bed is filled every night. That doesn't mean I can't evaluate the design of the place.

Old Posted Sep 12, 2008, 1:57 AM
Hammer'd

I agree with fastcars. It's a Days Inn, not a Ramada or a Fairmont. Not even a Howard Johnson or a Hilton. Days Inn is right at the bottom of the pool as far as hotel quality goes. They didn't really have much to work with unless they demolished the old property and built new, either.

I do admit they *could* have used better materials for the exterior, but it certainly wouldn't have been cost effective considering the low profits this place will most likely generate. It doesn't really have many rooms, and I'm sure the rates are incredibly low. Given the fact that it's also on Main St., and nearly every other property around it also looks like complete shite, there's not much encouragement to do so. I'm much more happy seeing a hotel with an ugly metal siding instead of an abandoned Ford dealership or even worse, an empty gravel lot.
"Above all, Hamilton must learn to think like a city, not a suburban hybrid where residents drive everywhere. What makes Hamilton interesting is the fact it's a city. The sprawl that surrounds it, which can be found all over North America, is running out of time."

Old Posted Sep 12, 2008, 2:12 AM
Closed account

Quote:
Originally Posted by matt602 View Post
I agree with fastcars. It's a Days Inn, not a Ramada or a Fairmont. Not even a Howard Johnson or a Hilton. Days Inn is right at the bottom of the pool as far as hotel quality goes. They didn't really have much to work with unless they demolished the old property and built new, either.

I do admit they *could* have used better materials for the exterior, but it certainly wouldn't have been cost effective considering the low profits this place will most likely generate. It doesn't really have many rooms, and I'm sure the rates are incredibly low. Given the fact that it's also on Main St., and nearly every other property around it also looks like complete shite, there's not much encouragement to do so. I'm much more happy seeing a hotel with an ugly metal siding instead of an abandoned Ford dealership or even worse, an empty gravel lot.
I think we all agree with you.
that still doesn't mean that we can't critique the design of the place.
I haven't read one post on here where someone said they would prefer an empty lot or car dealership instead of the Days Inn. Fastcars keeps saying that, but you'll have to ask him why.

Old Posted Sep 12, 2008, 3:03 AM

I think the problem here is that there is little going on in downtown Hamilton, so anything that goes on gets a ton of attention.

If there were twenty developments of this size or larger, then everyone would agree that it looked ugly, would mention it once or twice, and would move on. Instead, we hear the same old comments about it on a near-continuous basis.

Old Posted Sep 12, 2008, 5:21 AM
Hammer'd

I think you hit the nail on the head there, and it's a pretty harsh reality.
"Above all, Hamilton must learn to think like a city, not a suburban hybrid where residents drive everywhere. What makes Hamilton interesting is the fact it's a city. The sprawl that surrounds it, which can be found all over North America, is running out of time."

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Ontario > Hamilton > Downtown & City of Hamilton