HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > City Compilations

Old Posted May 15, 2013, 3:09 PM

Nice scoop on Green moving forward DAB!
http://downtownaustinblog.org/

Things will be great when you're downtown.

Old Posted May 15, 2013, 5:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hill Country View Post
I just hope the design changes a little bit for those two tall ones.

Old Posted May 15, 2013, 6:07 PM

Oh hell yeah.

It's interesting that they're submitting a site plan for that one first. And that they're only submitting one. I wonder what the method is for developing this many buildings so close together. Do they do one at a time or all at once? Either way, I'm excited.

Old Posted May 15, 2013, 6:50 PM

Location: Austin -> San Antonio -> Columbia -> San Antonio -> Chicago -> Austin -> Denver
I think this suggests they're doing one at a time.

Old Posted May 15, 2013, 11:21 PM
~Hook'em~

Woot.

Old Posted May 16, 2013, 12:40 AM

I could agree with holding off on the hotel and office building, but I think not doing both residential blocks at once would be a mistake. With current migration and occupancy rates, you pretty much can't overbuild.

Holding off on hotels would be prudent to see how the current projects further along are absorbed and between 3rd and Colorado, IBC, and Whole Foods, a 500k office building would take a while to get leased.

As a whole design wise, the material choice and colors of the latest renders leave something to be desired. I guess it will tie into Seaholm, but overall new render is the worst yet. Not Hyatt bad by any means, but I would have a hard time deciding between the Whitley or any of these for the meh award. Actually Whitley has grown on me largely because of the stone work on the bottom. I will hold judgement until more renders are released.

Old Posted May 16, 2013, 1:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MightyYoda View Post
I could agree with holding off on the hotel and office building, but I think not doing both residential blocks at once would be a mistake. With current migration and occupancy rates, you pretty much can't overbuild.

Holding off on hotels would be prudent to see how the current projects further along are absorbed and between 3rd and Colorado, IBC, and Whole Foods, a 500k office building would take a while to get leased.

As a whole design wise, the material choice and colors of the latest renders leave something to be desired. I guess it will tie into Seaholm, but overall new render is the worst yet. Not Hyatt bad by any means, but I would have a hard time deciding between the Whitley or any of these for the meh award. Actually Whitley has grown on me largely because of the stone work on the bottom. I will hold judgement until more renders are released.
Agrred. I love Gensler, but this current design is nothing compared to the MITHUN plan (that was originally chosen). If something is gonna block 360 it better be pretty damn good lookin!

Old Posted May 16, 2013, 5:06 AM
Meh

Quote:
Originally Posted by ahealy View Post
Agrred. I love Gensler, but this current design is nothing compared to the MITHUN plan (that was originally chosen). If something is gonna block 360 it better be pretty damn good lookin!
I like the buildings, I just wish they were a little taller, but I guess it doesn't matter. I do echo your sentiment, though. 360 is one of my favorite buildings in Austin. I really like it. It just looks so damn cool from the south. Whatever blocks the view of it, it better be worth it and even better than 360.

I wish these towers were being planned for the post office/IBC Bank lots instead.

Old Posted May 16, 2013, 5:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KevinFromTexas View Post
I like the buildings, I just wish they were a little taller, but I guess it doesn't matter. I do echo your sentiment, though. 360 is one of my favorite buildings in Austin. I really like it. It just looks so damn cool from the south. Whatever blocks the view of it, it better be worth it and even better than 360.

I wish these towers were being planned for the post office/IBC Bank lots instead.
Yeah, I agree. They aren't bad lookin at all, I just think 360 is way better as a front statement skyline piece. Those two are just big white boxes.

Old Posted May 17, 2013, 11:13 AM
Everywhere all at once

Quote:
Oh thank god.

I really like the current design, I think it beefs up the density of downtown, both at skyline and street level. If they wind up changing it, I'll get used to it I'm sure (especially if it's better still), but I couldn't stand to see Seaholm get off the ground and not this.

Thrilling times in this great city.

Old Posted May 17, 2013, 2:47 PM

Can someone post Renderings of Green?

Old Posted May 17, 2013, 3:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NYC_Longhorn View Post
Can someone post Renderings of Green?
Here is CBRE's marketing flyer which has both the old renderings (on the cover) and the new renderings (inside):

http://www.loopnet.com/Attachments/8...4E75FA53F3.pdf

Here's the link to the thread that has many of the renderings posted:

http://forum.skyscraperpage.com/showthread.php?t=144389

Old Posted May 17, 2013, 4:40 PM

[QUOTE=AusTxDevelopment;6132057]Here is CBRE's marketing flyer which has both the old renderings (on the cover) and the new renderings (inside):

http://www.loopnet.com/Attachments/8...4E75FA53F3.pdf

That is such an elegant collection of buildings. I like how they all have their own vibe yet work together. I do hope they all get their crowns! For me, that is the touch that will be really nice!

Just build them all already!

Old Posted May 17, 2013, 9:50 PM
Member since 2001

Dense, Tall Downtown Development Might Be Dead!?!

Once again, our faithful idiots at City Hall finally got rid of CURE zoning in an additional effort to secure more money for affordable housing. Say goodbye to dense, tall, downtown development!!?!!

http://www.bizjournals.com/austin/bl...-the-ddbp.html

I hope this can be overturned when the new, 10-1 council takes over. I'm worried about the adverse affects this is going to cause new developments in our CBD.

Old Posted May 17, 2013, 10:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GoldenBoot View Post
Once again, our faithful idiots at City Hall finally got rid of CURE zoning in an additional effort to secure more money for affordable housing. Say goodbye to dense, tall, downtown development!!?!!

http://www.bizjournals.com/austin/bl...-the-ddbp.html

I hope this can be overturned when the new, 10-1 council takes over. I'm worried about the adverse affects this is going to cause new developments in our CBD.
DDBP is not great and it will have a chilling effect, but it's not the death knell everyone thinks. Those multi-million dollar numbers everyone keeps throwing around are the MAXIMUM the City can get under DDBP. Everything is negotiable and the City is not going to get the maximum every time. To hold fast on that would indeed put an end to dense development. That's not what the city wants.

Old Posted May 17, 2013, 10:58 PM

Austin's starting to bite the hand that feeds it like some California cities.

Old Posted May 18, 2013, 12:32 AM

The laissez-faire rhetoric here is suffocating. Stop with the hyperbole. Our government's job is to serve us, not Big Business. Developers aren't what give Austin value. Our people and culture are what give Austin value. If developers want to play ball, they have to play by our rules. No more of this corrupt sidestepping crap. Though they may not realize it at first, the density bonus program actually provides value to developers by insuring that Austin remains a unique and healthy place, rather than some yuppie utopia with no culture or diversity.

Old Posted May 18, 2013, 12:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Syndic View Post
The laissez-faire rhetoric here is suffocating. Stop with the hyperbole. Our government's job is to serve us, not Big Business. Developers aren't what give Austin value. Our people and culture are what give Austin value. If developers want to play ball, they have to play by our rules. No more of this corrupt sidestepping crap. Though they may not realize it at first, the density bonus program actually provides value to developers by insuring that Austin remains a unique and healthy place, rather than some yuppie utopia with no culture or diversity.
Stop with the Occupy B.S. It's both people and business that give Austin value. People move where the jobs (business) are more than anything else. Big business provides jobs, and most people work for corporations. Having a job improves one's quality of life. Big Business is not evil.

Old Posted May 18, 2013, 2:44 AM

Location: Austin -> San Antonio -> Columbia -> San Antonio -> Chicago -> Austin -> Denver
Quote:
Stop with the Occupy B.S. It's both people and business that give Austin value. People move where the jobs (business) are more than anything else. Big business provides jobs, and most people work for corporations. Having a job improves one's quality of life. Big Business is not evil.
This isn't Occupy mentality. The fact that you think it is betrays your very simplistic assumptions about political groups.

Old Posted May 18, 2013, 3:15 AM

Well, that alone isn't an occupy mentality. It's basic social democracy. I don't blame corporate types. I just don't buy the idea that the profit motive alone is going to lead to a satisfactory standard of living for the vast majority of human beings. And I don't think that Big Business deserves to have influence over our government. That's not starry-eyed idealism. It's just about being a principled social democrat.

Businesses move to Austin because our culture is enticing. If any type of business is somewhat responsible for that, it's small business, for whom many Americans and Austinites work.

There's no need for name-calling. Big Business is not evil, but they are often misguided, because profit is not the only worthy end. The welfare of our citizenry is always the most important thing.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > City Compilations