HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > Buildings & Architecture > Completed Project Threads Archive

Old Posted Feb 3, 2021, 1:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gjrip View Post
That is an exceptional photo. Crazy to see how many more buildings there are in the west-facing view these days vs. my view out of the Van R dorm at Drexel just 8 years ago.
Or my view out of Towers 25 years ago!

Old Posted Feb 3, 2021, 6:03 PM

Cladding Nearly Finished At Riverwalk North

Read/view more here:
https://phillyyimby.com/2021/02/rive...city-west.html

Old Posted Feb 3, 2021, 6:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jawnadelphia View Post
Epic photo

Old Posted Feb 15, 2021, 3:43 PM

Does anyone know if the construction on this is being delayed? I drove by this yesterday and there doesn't seem to be any recent progress on the South tower.

Old Posted Feb 18, 2021, 6:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Franks View Post
Does anyone know if the construction on this is being delayed? I drove by this yesterday and there doesn't seem to be any recent progress on the South tower.
I have to say that all the residential projects (River Walk, Laurel, and the Arthaus), the W Hotel and the upcoming Penn's Landing towers projects are thus far the best projects this city has thus far. The worst are the CITC (the roof is actually 911', the ugly spire, and it's occupied by a company already based here plus it replaced a much better looking proposal), and the current Schuylkill Yards projects (not a fan of the abrupt changes in design and height, especially when it's downsized). I can only hope that the cancelled projects such as Mandeville Place and Bridgeman's View Tower et. al. or something similar make a comeback to start a third skyline along the Delaware waterfront thanks to the Penn's Landing development.

I think the reason why the Hudson Yards and the WTC project in NYC are so successful isn't so much because it's in NYC or even the height but because the developers stick to the design plan and whatever chances they make to the design, it's a slight change, plus the height of each tower associated rarely changes. Maybe the change to 2 WTC (https://www.wtc.com/about/buildings/...d-trade-center) was a better change than the former proposal for it, but the Freedom Tower was the centerpiece of the project, and all the focus is on the Freedom Tower and not on the other buildings, and besides, there's 16 towers in NYC that's about 1,000'+ tall, with two under construction that's under construction that will surpass 1,000', and 11 more that's proposed to surpass that height.

As for Hudson Yards (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hudson...site_proposals), it was planned since the 1950's and even garnered proposals for stadiums hosting the Jets and the Yankees, but the current itineration was developed in the mid 2000s. The project is expected to be completed by 2024, and HY will fill out a section of Manhattan that was once a desolate section between 8th Ave and the West Side Highway.

Philly currently has two such proposals which are supposed to be 1,000' tall, but because of the abrupt changes in design and height of the associated buildings in SY, I'm not sure whether both towers will be built, and the latest proposal of 3151 Market, with the height being chopped down. I'm not so much against the chopped down height (even though I still fell the initial proposal was the best), but the change in design plus the missing centerpiece that's supposed to be 3101 Market isn't there, so I don't hold any faith that SY will be built the way it was portrayed initially, and I wouldn't be surprised if the 30th St Station air rights never happens (not saying it won't happen), but in twenty years time, I won't be surprised if we can still see the rail yard by them. That's just the uncertainty of building projects in Philadelphia, you never know what to expect and I wouldn't expect too much despite my hope that SY and 30th St air rights looks similar like the initial proposals. Peace!

Old Posted Feb 18, 2021, 7:40 AM

Old Posted Feb 18, 2021, 1:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wanderer34 View Post
I have to say that all the residential projects (River Walk, Laurel, and the Arthaus), the W Hotel and the upcoming Penn's Landing towers projects are thus far the best projects this city has thus far. The worst are the CITC (the roof is actually 911', the ugly spire, and it's occupied by a company already based here plus it replaced a much better looking proposal), and the current Schuylkill Yards projects (not a fan of the abrupt changes in design and height, especially when it's downsized). I can only hope that the cancelled projects such as Mandeville Place and Bridgeman's View Tower et. al. or something similar make a comeback to start a third skyline along the Delaware waterfront thanks to the Penn's Landing development.

I think the reason why the Hudson Yards and the WTC project in NYC are so successful isn't so much because it's in NYC or even the height but because the developers stick to the design plan and whatever chances they make to the design, it's a slight change, plus the height of each tower associated rarely changes. Maybe the change to 2 WTC (https://www.wtc.com/about/buildings/...d-trade-center) was a better change than the former proposal for it, but the Freedom Tower was the centerpiece of the project, and all the focus is on the Freedom Tower and not on the other buildings, and besides, there's 16 towers in NYC that's about 1,000'+ tall, with two under construction that's under construction that will surpass 1,000', and 11 more that's proposed to surpass that height.

As for Hudson Yards (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hudson...site_proposals), it was planned since the 1950's and even garnered proposals for stadiums hosting the Jets and the Yankees, but the current itineration was developed in the mid 2000s. The project is expected to be completed by 2024, and HY will fill out a section of Manhattan that was once a desolate section between 8th Ave and the West Side Highway.

Philly currently has two such proposals which are supposed to be 1,000' tall, but because of the abrupt changes in design and height of the associated buildings in SY, I'm not sure whether both towers will be built, and the latest proposal of 3151 Market, with the height being chopped down. I'm not so much against the chopped down height (even though I still fell the initial proposal was the best), but the change in design plus the missing centerpiece that's supposed to be 3101 Market isn't there, so I don't hold any faith that SY will be built the way it was portrayed initially, and I wouldn't be surprised if the 30th St Station air rights never happens (not saying it won't happen), but in twenty years time, I won't be surprised if we can still see the rail yard by them. That's just the uncertainty of building projects in Philadelphia, you never know what to expect and I wouldn't expect too much despite my hope that SY and 30th St air rights looks similar like the initial proposals. Peace!
we have a unique problem here in Philly regarding big ambitious skyscraper projects. on one hand, when we try to get companies to move here, we tout ourselves as being a lower cost alternative to New York, in part because the rents are cheaper (also the overall cost of living.) however, construction costs are just about the same when it comes to building skyscrapers. so because of the lower rents, the skyscraper will not be as profitable as in New York. this is especially true in the 30th street district, where they propose to build some of the buildings over the rail yard. that will be hugely expensive, and will not have the same return on investment that Hudson Yards has. but they propose it anyway to generate excitement among people like us on this message board and to get the politicians thinking of ways to get it to happen. the politicians fail, and the project gets scaled down if not canceled altogether.
it's mostly a supply and demand problem, but part of the solution is for the city to remove the barriers (that is, taxes) that prohibit companies from wanting to do business here. the climate is slightly better than it used to be, but there is a long way to go before demand gets driven up to the point where companies would be willing to pay the construction premiums to build the 30th street district and other ambitious projects.
I worked on the Hudson Yards project (30 HY), and the developer was always willing to spend whatever it took to get the building built. they never cut corners, because they knew that the building would make more money if they built it as designed. spared no expense.

Old Posted Feb 18, 2021, 3:10 PM

Giant prepares to open flagship store in Philly, betting that shoppers will want to visit

Quote:
The Giant Food Company announced Thursday the opening date next month of a two-level “flagship” store in downtown Philadelphia, almost a year to the date that coronavirus pandemic was declared a national emergency, driving more consumers to avoid groceries and shop online.

Old Posted Feb 18, 2021, 4:52 PM

Quote:

The SY drawings you are referring to were never intended to be taken as proposals for specific buildings; as much as anything there were massing exercises by the architect to show what might be possible, but rather a certain building would be housing with or without balconies. You mention yourself that what's being called Hudson Yards in NYC has gone through all sorts of ideas and plans since it was first mentioned back in the 50's. If the demand was present, the 30th St. Station "plans" could be changed to include a whole pile of supertall towers------but don't hold your breath. I don't see what your beef is, a project is proposed and either it moves forward or it doesn't, and it can go through design changes along the way. Do you think developers should only release finished, signed and sealed, plans?

And what if anything does any of this have to do with the latest slow down in construction of the Riverview apartments? PMC in the past ran a very tight ship during construction, but this project has been just the opposite.

Old Posted Feb 18, 2021, 5:02 PM
Chris

Quote:
Originally Posted by thoughtcriminal View Post
we have a unique problem here in Philly regarding big ambitious skyscraper projects. on one hand, when we try to get companies to move here, we tout ourselves as being a lower cost alternative to New York, in part because the rents are cheaper (also the overall cost of living.) however, construction costs are just about the same when it comes to building skyscrapers. so because of the lower rents, the skyscraper will not be as profitable as in New York. this is especially true in the 30th street district, where they propose to build some of the buildings over the rail yard. that will be hugely expensive, and will not have the same return on investment that Hudson Yards has. but they propose it anyway to generate excitement among people like us on this message board and to get the politicians thinking of ways to get it to happen. the politicians fail, and the project gets scaled down if not canceled altogether.
it's mostly a supply and demand problem, but part of the solution is for the city to remove the barriers (that is, taxes) that prohibit companies from wanting to do business here. the climate is slightly better than it used to be, but there is a long way to go before demand gets driven up to the point where companies would be willing to pay the construction premiums to build the 30th street district and other ambitious projects.
I worked on the Hudson Yards project (30 HY), and the developer was always willing to spend whatever it took to get the building built. they never cut corners, because they knew that the building would make more money if they built it as designed. spared no expense.
A problem with Philadelphia, near equal construction costs with lower returns. One of the reasons why Chicago still sees a lot of A+ projects because construction costs are more relative to returns.

If the city (and state) would work harder to make Philadelphia a more business friendly city, then the construction vs. return issue wouldn't be as severe. Until then, we will see grand plans reduced to fit reality since most companies choose the suburbs. At least residential towers have more potential to be tall and attractive since the residential real estate market holds more potential.

Quote:
I am also a fan of the residential projects going up.

I guess I am in the minority, but I find the CITC attractive, especially up close, the detail on the exterior façade is very well done. Its blocky from a far, but I still find it among the better looking supertalls. Of course I still want to see The American Commerce Center built, but until the city makes Philadelphia a more attractive place to do business, it won't happen...

Also, I am tired of people picking on the CITC height since the roofline is under 1000'. That building is 100% 1,121' tall. The lantern is structurally a part of the building. If any building is a cheater its the new World Trade Center which counts the 300'+ antenna in its total height (not structurally a part of the building, even though it somehow got a pass). Yet the Hancock Center in Chicago can't count its antenna?...

Old Posted Feb 18, 2021, 7:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PHLtoNYC View Post
A problem with Philadelphia, near equal construction costs with lower returns. One of the reasons why Chicago still sees a lot of A+ projects because construction costs are more relative to returns.

If the city (and state) would work harder to make Philadelphia a more business friendly city, then the construction vs. return issue wouldn't be as severe. Until then, we will see grand plans reduced to fit reality since most companies choose the suburbs. At least residential towers have more potential to be tall and attractive since the residential real estate market holds more potential.
Unfortunately, the state has a huge beef with the city of Philadelphia and as a result of the beef, it's a lot tougher to get not just commercial projects like SY and the 30th St air rights done, but even simpler projects like restoring rail service from Philadelphia to Allentown, Reading, Lancaster, and even West Chester. Even the rail project for South Central PA, Corridor One, which was a great transportation plan, never got off the drawing board and that project doesn't even serve Philadelphia.

People will say that it's related to money and the city and state doesn't have any money to do these projects, but in reality at one point in time it was possible to travel from Philadelphia to those latter cities via the PRR and the Reading up until the 80s.

And Philadelphia was a Top 5 American city, meaning despite it's internal problems, during much of the 20th century, we garnered a lot of respect when it came to medicine, law, education, manufacturing, logistics, and banking. Nowadays, we're currently number 6 as a major american city (when it comes to population) and the Philly MSA is currently in eighth place and the CSA is in ninth place in 2019.

When the 2020 Census estimates come sometime this year, because of the lower growth rate in comparison to other cities, I expect Philadelphia to fall to at least 7th place once San Antonio annexes land in TX and it's possible San Diego and Dallas may surpass Philly later this decade when it comes to city population. As for the MSA, it looks like Atlanta and Phoenix will knock off Philly in the Top 10 MSAs while Atlanta and Miami will do the same in the Top 10 CSAs.

Either way, a lot of the blame is shared between the city and state due to the massive corruption, high business taxes, not enough educated and qualified residents who could work in this companies, and very little incentives which would've made Philadelphia a city comparable to other cities like Boston, SF, Miami, and Atlanta. I don't even but the mantra of Philly being wedged between NYC and DC anymore, it's a victim of it's own faults.

Quote:
I am also a fan of the residential projects going up.

I guess I am in the minority, but I find the CITC attractive, especially up close, the detail on the exterior façade is very well done. Its blocky from a far, but I still find it among the better looking supertalls. Of course I still want to see The American Commerce Center built, but until the city makes Philadelphia a more attractive place to do business, it won't happen...
You can't please everybody and it's especially true on this board. I did a little informal poll when I was a taxi driver and it seemed like people preferred the ACC over the CITC and it largely has a lot to do with mainly the design of the building as well as the height. I even asked a former mayor of SF with he preferred and even he stated the ACC was a better choice. If I made the poll public by any means, I'd wager that more people liked the ACC over the CITC due to the design as well as height.

If the CITC had the same height as the ACC and the CITC replaced the ACC, I believe a lot more people would've supported the tower and Philadelphia would've garnered a lot more respect in the architecture world, but the CITC gets slammed for it's height, it's spire and it's design while the ACC is remembered for what it could've been an architectural marvel and Philly could've been home to the first supertall in America with a hole in the middle, too.

If you like the CITC, then that's you. My beef with the CITC has a lot to do with the height, square footage, the design, the fact that it copies another building in Chicago (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/NBC_Tower) while the ACC was unique in it's design from top to bottom so I never understood the comparison to the Freedom Tower in NYC, as well as the fact that Philadelphia already had the HQ for Comcast built so why build another tower for them while the ACC promised to either retain or attract a major company here meaning more revenue dollars.

Quote:
Also, I am tired of people picking on the CITC height since the roofline is under 1000'. That building is 100% 1,121' tall. The lantern is structurally a part of the building. If any building is a cheater its the new World Trade Center which counts the 300'+ antenna in its total height (not structurally a part of the building, even though it somehow got a pass). Yet the Hancock Center in Chicago can't count its antenna?...
You have to live with the fact that everybody's a critic of whatever topic that comes up, whether it be sports, food, fashion, art, etc, and architecture has it's own critics. The problem with the CITC, number one has to be it's design. When the ACC was cancelled, a few years later, the former Liberty Property Trust came up with the design for the new tower, and the CITC is similar to the ACC in the fact that it incorporated a five-star hotel, had an LEED rating, and was connected to the Suburban Station concourse, as well as being on the 1800 black of Arch St.

When I first saw the plans for the CITC, it screamed copycat to the cancelled ACC and I wondered why Comcast wouldn't move to the ACC, which was $800 million and a much better design, but the CITC was $1.5 billion, but the height was shorter w/o the spire, less square footage, and a lackadaisical and uninspiring design.

The occupied height of the tower reaches 911', but the Comcast Center reaches 975', and if Comcast wanted to build a supertall, they should've slapped 25' to 50' on their original tower just to stop up the naysayers but I guess the powers that be in the city, the state, and Comcast didn't want the ACC to happen for whatever apparent reason and what really hurts is the fact that the ACC was started by a Philadelphia named Garrett Miller of Hill International and KPF designed the ACC, the same people who designed Liberty Place and the Arthaus.

The Freedom Tower isn't a cheater because of the fact that it holds a spire on top of the building and not an antenna and if you have any beef with the rules, just let the skyscraper people know that because if the Freedom Tower is considered a cheater, then the Petronas Towers are cheaters because they both have spires in relation to Sears Tower, the ACC cheated because of the 300' spire it had and the CITC is practically a cheater because of it's stubby 111' spire.

Only difference is that I'm still not impressed with the CITC because the roof only goes as high as 911' and the Comcast Center could've went as high as 1000', but for some strange reason the developers decided on the 975' instead and the ACC was killed off and in it's place was the lackadaisical and uninspiring CITC instead. And as long as the CITC stands, people from all over the country and maybe even the world are going to poo on the CITC for different reasons, everybody's a critic and you have to live with that and the bad press that the CITC gets as well as the good.

Old Posted Feb 18, 2021, 8:03 PM

Quote:
we have a unique problem here in Philly regarding big ambitious skyscraper projects. on one hand, when we try to get companies to move here, we tout ourselves as being a lower cost alternative to New York, in part because the rents are cheaper (also the overall cost of living.) however, construction costs are just about the same when it comes to building skyscrapers. so because of the lower rents, the skyscraper will not be as profitable as in New York.
I've always heard about Philly being the lower cost alternative to NYC for so long, you'd think we'd have a massive skyscraper skyline from the Delaware River to City Line Ave by now. It does get tiring to hear that every now and then because if we were the lower cost alternative to NYC, then we would've retained many of our companies that left Philadelphia in the past 10-20 years plus the business taxes would've been much lower. Blame the city and state for the poor business environment here.

Quote:
this is especially true in the 30th street district, where they propose to build some of the buildings over the rail yard. that will be hugely expensive, and will not have the same return on investment that Hudson Yards has. but they propose it anyway to generate excitement among people like us on this message board and to get the politicians thinking of ways to get it to happen. the politicians fail, and the project gets scaled down if not canceled altogether.
I remember when the Amazon HQ2 contest started and cities competed with each other to attract the HQ2 to their cities. After the ACC got cancelled, I lost hope that the city would retain or attract another company here because we were having a hard time doing that once Sunoco, Lincoln Financial, Sovereign/Santander, and Crown Holdings left for greener pastures.

There are those on this board who still believe that Philadelphia is on par with the Chicagos, the Bostons, the SFs, the Atlantas and the Miamis, but when you lose big business after big business, it becomes a lot harder to compare yourself to those cities. Philly still has education and it still has world renowned hospitals, but hospitals and universities/colleges don't really pay as much revenue as businesses and corporations do for obvious reasons (vital services).

SY was supposed to garner a lot of buss and attention and when the city applied for the HQ2 and used the SY and the 30th St air right proposals, I wasn't a bit surprised that Amazon would select another city for the HQ2 (NYC and DC, although NYC later rejected the HQ2 thanks to AOC). If there was a city that truly deserved an HQ2, it would have to be Detroit or Newark NJ, not Philly. And at that time, I thought Boston of all major cities, had the best proposal because it used vacant land on what was once a racetrack and would've transformed it into another city, but Boston never got selected.

Even to this day, SY and 30th St air right are wonderful proposal for an expanding city, but nowadays a lot of that has fizzled out mainly because of Amazon selecting DC for it's HQ2 and Philadelphia has a hard time retaining and attracting major companies within it's city limits. In a perfect world, the SY and the 30th St air rights would've gotten built right now as originally planned, but I not surprised that SY and 30th St is going the way of mediocrity because there's not as much demand nor are there any incentives that allows a major company to operate in Philadelphia as there was in the past, even with the KOZ Philly has an even tougher act to follow.

Quote:
If the SY and the 30th St air rights gets built, great! The problem was that the city never saw any opportunities to attract and retain the businesses here and when Amazon was searching for a second HQ, all of a sudden, Philadelphia did whatever it could to get Amazon to Philadelphia. As long as you have businesses leaving the city for whatever reason, it's going to be a lot harder to convince the CEO of a business to move to Philadelphia because of XYZ.

I wish Philadelphia revise it archaic business taxes, which is killing the local economy. You can do so much and say, "build this tower" or "restore and repair this rail line" or "expand the subway system", but as long as you keep saying this and the city does nothing but drag it's feet and allow companies to leave the city limits until some major company decides to place a second HQ. Honestly, Philadelphia is improving on it's infill and on the residential towers, but as long as businesses continue to leave Philly, it won't be long until Philly is truly "NY's sixth borough".

Old Posted Feb 19, 2021, 1:41 AM

Quote:
I think the reason why the Hudson Yards and the WTC project in NYC are so successful isn't so much because it's in NYC or even the height but because the developers stick to the design plan and whatever chances they make to the design, it's a slight change, plus the height of each tower associated rarely changes.
Unfortunately Philly does not have companies clamoring for massive amounts of space. Facebook signed for 1.5 million sq ft of space in HY. Amazon signed for 360k sq ft. *The numbers are current as of 2019.

So, I'd say it is NYC, because things can be built and companies will come. I'm not sure the likes of Facebook, Google, Amazon, etc. have a combined 100k sq ft of space in Philly let alone 2+ million.

Old Posted Feb 19, 2021, 3:15 AM

Philly building costs

Usually this cry about how the costs, which I assume for most people mean labor costs, are the same or higher than NYC but rents, payback, etc. are much lower, pops out during a down cycle in commercial construction, and not during a up cycle like the one we are in that keeps cruising along. So, we're jumping the gun here; but I find it surprising if that were truly the case, then why do so many construction sites work more than 8 hrs a day and often Sat. is a full day of work, and Sunday becomes the clean up and fine tuning day?

To me it says that even in this time of very cheap money, the developers will often chose to pay piles of OT costs just to stay current or ahead of the schedule. The rewards for getting done on time or early, even in low rent Philly, must be worth the extra labor costs. Another way of looking at this is the carrying costs of the project most be greater than the extra labor costs when the OT clock starts to run. Why would these carrying costs be that much different from other cities, like Pittsburgh?

Labor, and what results the labor produces, is one factor a developer can have some control of on a day to day basis. Most of 'stuff' that goes into construction, maybe except concrete, is ordered many months if not years ahead of time, and the construction managers can do very little about speeding the arrival up.

Thoughts?

Old Posted Feb 19, 2021, 6:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nova08 View Post
Unfortunately Philly does not have companies clamoring for massive amounts of space. Facebook signed for 1.5 million sq ft of space in HY. Amazon signed for 360k sq ft. *The numbers are current as of 2019.

So, I'd say it is NYC, because things can be built and companies will come. I'm not sure the likes of Facebook, Google, Amazon, etc. have a combined 100k sq ft of space in Philly let alone 2+ million.
It makes a lot of sense why Facebook, Google, and at one point Amazon wants to come to NYC. SF and NYC are both major financial centers. Would it have helped Philly if one of those companies came to Philly? Absolutely! But you have to understand that if there's such low demand, then why send for proposal that garners so much space?

I believe SY is mainly commercial and research while 30th St air right is supposed to be mostly residential. If the residential projects like the Laurel and the Arthaus are getting off the ground, then there's more hope that the 30th St air rights can get off the ground. For now, it's going to be a long 20 years until we can see the final product.

Old Posted Feb 19, 2021, 10:28 PM
Chris

Quote:
Unfortunately, the state has a huge beef with the city of Philadelphia and as a result of the beef, it's a lot tougher to get not just commercial projects like SY and the 30th St air rights done, but even simpler projects like restoring rail service from Philadelphia to Allentown, Reading, Lancaster, and even West Chester. Even the rail project for South Central PA, Corridor One, which was a great transportation plan, never got off the drawing board and that project doesn't even serve Philadelphia.

People will say that it's related to money and the city and state doesn't have any money to do these projects, but in reality at one point in time it was possible to travel from Philadelphia to those latter cities via the PRR and the Reading up until the 80s.

And Philadelphia was a Top 5 American city, meaning despite it's internal problems, during much of the 20th century, we garnered a lot of respect when it came to medicine, law, education, manufacturing, logistics, and banking. Nowadays, we're currently number 6 as a major american city (when it comes to population) and the Philly MSA is currently in eighth place and the CSA is in ninth place in 2019.

When the 2020 Census estimates come sometime this year, because of the lower growth rate in comparison to other cities, I expect Philadelphia to fall to at least 7th place once San Antonio annexes land in TX and it's possible San Diego and Dallas may surpass Philly later this decade when it comes to city population. As for the MSA, it looks like Atlanta and Phoenix will knock off Philly in the Top 10 MSAs while Atlanta and Miami will do the same in the Top 10 CSAs.

Either way, a lot of the blame is shared between the city and state due to the massive corruption, high business taxes, not enough educated and qualified residents who could work in this companies, and very little incentives which would've made Philadelphia a city comparable to other cities like Boston, SF, Miami, and Atlanta. I don't even but the mantra of Philly being wedged between NYC and DC anymore, it's a victim of it's own faults.

I agree with some of this. Yes, the state and city are to blame for a lot of Philadelphia's issues and general stagnant growth. It also confuses me why the state holds Philadelphia back, in reality, Philadelphia is by far the largest city (and region) in the state, therefore allowing it to excel will only benefit the entire state. I know its a conservative vs. liberal match, but I am looking at this from a simple common sense standpoint.

The second half of your post I don't agree with. Yes, Philadelphia is falling in the population ranks, but that is generally an irrelevant and highly circumstantial criteria of measuring a city's success. For example, you could fit 3 Philadelphia regions into 1 Phoenix region. And Phoenix (as far as I am concerned) is largely economically and culturally irrelevant when matched against Philadelphia.

Second, Philadelphia and its suburbs to this day have remained extremely relevant economically, culturally, institutionally, and historically, that is not changing. The only difference is that other cities have caught up. But, I still cannot find an legitimate argument that would paint Philadelphia as somehow inferior to Phoenix, Miami, Atlanta, Dallas, Houston, etc.

And pre-Covid (2019), Philadelphia was kicking ass from an economic growth standpoint, GDP and job growth on par with some of the other large cities you mentioned, GDP per capita higher than many other major metros, venture capital was at record rates, tourism at record rates, investment very much picking up, poverty decreasing and was on track to inch below Houston, etc. Philadelphia was not a ho-hum dreary city that you paint it out to be. Yes the city has a lot of problems and Covid certainly pushed progress back, but I have no doubt the city will continue to grow and improve its reputation.

The only hindrance (which we can agree on) is crappy, shortsighted leadership. If Philadelphians could elect visionary leaders, then the sky is the limit for future potential. I always say Philadelphia is a world class city held back by crappy leadership.

Also, luckily, Philadelphia has some very powerful and affluent suburbs, not many other suburban regions pack that level of punch. Not everyone will agree, but that is a huge asset that aids Philadelphia (and the state) in many ways. I would just like to see a more unified Philadelphia region team going forward.

Old Posted Feb 20, 2021, 12:21 AM

Quote:
Also, luckily, Philadelphia has some very powerful and affluent suburbs, not many other suburban regions pack that level of punch. Not everyone will agree, but that is a huge asset that aids Philadelphia (and the state) in many ways. I would just like to see a more unified Philadelphia region team going forward.
This aspect of Philadelphia's relationship with it's suburbs is getting better for sure. You have the generation of suburbanites (i.e. Baby Boomers) who super charged white flight to the suburbs and spent unnecessary and counterproductive energy opposing everything having anything to do with Philadelphia dying off and being replaced by younger generations who by and large have mostly positive memories and experiences with the city.

Further, as evidenced by the recent election, the tilt of the suburbs leftward to me signifies a sort of regional mindset...one that is less so the burbs versus Philadelphia, but moreso SE PA (and the Lehigh Valley for that matter) versus everybody else.

While that might make things harder at the state level, I think it bodes well for regional thinking and planning which will only make Philadelphia stronger in the long run.

Old Posted Feb 20, 2021, 12:44 AM

https://www.instagram.com/p/CLez6owD3tc/

^It looks like tower #2 has climbed some in the last few weeks. Maybe some work was diverted to ensure the GIANT opened on time. I had no idea it was opening so soon. But I think #2 is full steam ahead.

Old Posted Feb 21, 2021, 9:26 PM

Old Posted Feb 21, 2021, 9:47 PM
Chris

Quote:
Originally Posted by 3rd&Brown View Post
This aspect of Philadelphia's relationship with it's suburbs is getting better for sure. You have the generation of suburbanites (i.e. Baby Boomers) who super charged white flight to the suburbs and spent unnecessary and counterproductive energy opposing everything having anything to do with Philadelphia dying off and being replaced by younger generations who by and large have mostly positive memories and experiences with the city.

Further, as evidenced by the recent election, the tilt of the suburbs leftward to me signifies a sort of regional mindset...one that is less so the burbs versus Philadelphia, but moreso SE PA (and the Lehigh Valley for that matter) versus everybody else.

While that might make things harder at the state level, I think it bodes well for regional thinking and planning which will only make Philadelphia stronger in the long run.
Very much agree.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > Buildings & Architecture > Completed Project Threads Archive