HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > City Compilations

Old Posted Jan 25, 2012, 2:05 AM

Louisiana seafood marketing group says it may buy naming rights to New Orleans Arena

The Louisiana Seafood Promotion and Marketing Board says it may use some of the $30 million it received from BP PLC after the 2010 Gulf of Mexico oil spill to buy naming rights for the New Orleans Arena, where the NBA’s Hornets play.

http://www.nola.com/hornets/index.ss...keting_gr.html

Old Posted Jan 25, 2012, 4:01 AM
TL;DR

Oh god. This can't end well.

I was just thinking about how the arena could use a nickname - "The Nest" seemed like a good choice to me. A sponsorship, though? Crappy.

I'm especially pissed that the state spends the tax dollars of Louisianians to build these facilities, then sells the naming rights to corporations who take the credit for the building, and the revenues from the naming rights don't even stay with the state - they're turned over to the sports team!

When are cities gonna stop kissing the ring (I had a more explicit analogy) of professional sports? The Saints have tons of support here, built after nearly 40 years. Moving to a different city would instantly destroy that credibility, and any threat the Bensons make about moving is either an empty threat or a very, very stupid one.

The Hornets are still pretty transitional. They didn't get established in Charlotte with a rabid fanbase and strong support, and they haven't gotten established here yet either. We need to make a decision, though - if they don't establish a strong fanbase and become profitable (usually teams do this by winning games) then the state needs to cut its losses and kiss the team goodbye.

Old Posted Jan 25, 2012, 5:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ardecila View Post
Oh god. This can't end well.

I was just thinking about how the arena could use a nickname - "The Nest" seemed like a good choice to me. A sponsorship, though? Crappy.

I'm especially pissed that the state spends the tax dollars of Louisianians to build these facilities, then sells the naming rights to corporations who take the credit for the building, and the revenues from the naming rights don't even stay with the state - they're turned over to the sports team!

When are cities gonna stop kissing the ring (I had a more explicit analogy) of professional sports? The Saints have tons of support here, built after nearly 40 years. Moving to a different city would instantly destroy that credibility, and any threat the Bensons make about moving is either an empty threat or a very, very stupid one.

The Hornets are still pretty transitional. They didn't get established in Charlotte with a rabid fanbase and strong support, and they haven't gotten established here yet either. We need to make a decision, though - if they don't establish a strong fanbase and become profitable (usually teams do this by winning games) then the state needs to cut its losses and kiss the team goodbye.
I think sponsorship is a great idea. It may be questionable to use grant money to pay for a sponsorship, but when talking about profitability for professional sports, sponsorships are one of the best methods of doing so because whatever the companies that pay for marketing with the sponsorship gets taken off the fan's back. Professional sports is a business and professional teams in other cities make a lot of their revenues from sponsorships (one of the problems with being in a small market like New Orleans is we can't attract enough sponsorship). I think its just plain silly when we say buildings shouldn't be sponsored. That's how sports franchises make money (along with ticket sales and TV rights).

As for the whole issue of the state not getting anything, that's a different story. I'm in agreement that the amount of subsidies we give are kind of ridiculous. I think it would be better to give low interest loans as opposed to free money in grants. Honestly though, I do need a refresher on how these teams are being subsidized.

Old Posted Jan 25, 2012, 5:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NOLAmike View Post
I think sponsorship is a great idea. It may be questionable to use grant money to pay for a sponsorship, but when talking about profitability for professional sports, sponsorships are one of the best methods of doing so because whatever the companies that pay for marketing with the sponsorship gets taken off the fan's back. Professional sports is a business and professional teams in other cities make a lot of their revenues from sponsorships (one of the problems with being in a small market like New Orleans is we can't attract enough sponsorship). I think its just plain silly when we say buildings shouldn't be sponsored. That's how sports franchises make money (along with ticket sales and TV rights).

As for the whole issue of the state not getting anything, that's a different story. I'm in agreement that the amount of subsidies we give are kind of ridiculous. I think it would be better to give low interest loans as opposed to free money in grants. Honestly though, I do need a refresher on how these teams are being subsidized.
I believe the Hornets are being paid direct subsidies by the state. Part of the agreement when the Dome was named was that the state would no longer be liable for paying any inducements to the Saints.

Is it all bread and circuses, paid for by back-door state subsidies? Yes, but when the alternative is reading nola.com about the latest murder of a 2 year old child, I'll take watching Drew Brees lose a hard-fought game anyday.

Old Posted Jan 25, 2012, 2:39 PM
-

The Hornets should be having a big announcement about new ownership next month. Sponsorship is a great idea guys. Also give the Hornets a bit of credit here. How long did the Saints suck for, decades? If we are going to be a world class city we need the diversity of offerings and exposure an NBA franchise brings.

Old Posted Jan 25, 2012, 3:45 PM

Sponsorship & LSU / VA

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris from N.O. View Post
I believe the Hornets are being paid direct subsidies by the state. Part of the agreement when the Dome was named was that the state would no longer be liable for paying any inducements to the Saints.

Is it all bread and circuses, paid for by back-door state subsidies? Yes, but when the alternative is reading nola.com about the latest murder of a 2 year old child, I'll take watching Drew Brees lose a hard-fought game anyday.
Absolutely. The state was paying millions in subsidies to keep the Saints "profitable" (i use that loosely) and keep Benson from taking them to a more profitable, larger city. I was glad the Dome sponsorship was A.) something classy, and B.) meant that it took the financial burden of keeping the team off the taxpayer's back.

The only thing that worries me about the arena is what they'll name it if the seafood group does sponsor it. One thing they loosely threw out was the "Louisiana Seafood Arena." That' so bland and generic and most people don't realize a Louisiana Seafood Marketing board exists to they're going to be watching a game and be like "that's weird..." Point is, there's no "brand" recognition with it. May as well call it the "Crawfish Pond."

I can't come up with any good ideas though for this specific group.

In other news I drove past the VA / LSU site this morning and was thoroughly impressed. Between those and then the 2 buildings we posted about yesterday there's a whole flurry of activity over there. It's moved further along than I had thought. Truly impressive.

Old Posted Jan 25, 2012, 4:55 PM

Arena's Nickname

Regarding a nickname for the arena, isn't it nicknamed "the Hive"? At least, that is what I hear on the radio and television all the time.

Old Posted Jan 25, 2012, 6:35 PM
-

I like Swamp Nest lol

New bids:

1679198 New Orleans, LA Educational 01/25/2012
Description Renovation of an academic facility in New Orleans. Preliminary plans call for the renovation of an existing K-8 school building that will include classroom upgrades, facility improvements and other modernization. This project is in preliminary pl...Click here for complete Project Details

1747826 New Orleans, LA Educational 01/25/2012
Description Renovation of an academic facility in New Orleans. Preliminary plans call for the complete renovation of an existing high school that will include classroom upgrades, administrative office modernization and other renovations. This project is in p...Click here for complete Project Details

1679193 New Orleans, LA Educational 01/25/2012
Description Renovation of an academic facility in New Orleans. Preliminary plans call for the complete renovation of an existing elementary school that will include classroom upgrades, facility improvements, office space modernization and other renovations. ...Click here for complete Project Details

Wow they didnt waste any time pulling a permit for the Texaco Building:
Work Location 1501 CANAL ST

Project Description:
REPLACEMENT OF EXTERIOR WINDOW SYSTEM,ROOF MEMBRANES AS PER PLANS,HDLC AND CITY PLANNING APPROVAL. INTERIOR RENOVATIONS TO INCLUDE: DOORS,FINISHES,PARTITIONS AND BUILDING SYSTEMS. RETAIL ON THE 1ST FLOOR.
Owner:
1501 CANAL APARTMENTS,LLC
909 POYDRAS ST,#3100
NEW ORLEANS LA 70112
More Details
Additional Information
Job Value($):
$17,660,000.00Housing Units:
112Number of Buildings:

Last edited by tennis1400; Jan 25, 2012 at 7:18 PM.

Old Posted Jan 25, 2012, 7:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by IceCream View Post
Absolutely. The state was paying millions in subsidies to keep the Saints "profitable" (i use that loosely) and keep Benson from taking them to a more profitable, larger city. I was glad the Dome sponsorship was A.) something classy, and B.) meant that it took the financial burden of keeping the team off the taxpayer's back.

The only thing that worries me about the arena is what they'll name it if the seafood group does sponsor it. One thing they loosely threw out was the "Louisiana Seafood Arena." That' so bland and generic and most people don't realize a Louisiana Seafood Marketing board exists to they're going to be watching a game and be like "that's weird..." Point is, there's no "brand" recognition with it. May as well call it the "Crawfish Pond."

I can't come up with any good ideas though for this specific group.

In other news I drove past the VA / LSU site this morning and was thoroughly impressed. Between those and then the 2 buildings we posted about yesterday there's a whole flurry of activity over there. It's moved further along than I had thought. Truly impressive.
I think "Louisiana Seafood Arena" is exactly what they're looking at. The whole point of naming rights is to build name recognition and when we host the All-Star game etc. that's 1,000 times in a weekend people watching will hear the term "Louisiana Seafood". As generic as it may sound, it's better than what they're really saying, or they'd call it "the oysters don't have crude oil in them arena".

Old Posted Jan 25, 2012, 10:19 PM
-

Quote:
"the oysters don't have crude oil in them arena".
I dont know. That name has a certain ring to it lol

Old Posted Jan 25, 2012, 10:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tennis1400 View Post
I dont know. That name has a certain ring to it lol
You think I have a future in marketing?

Old Posted Jan 25, 2012, 10:47 PM
-

Of course!

1840877 New Orleans, LA Retail 01/25/2012
Description Tenant improvements for a retail store in New Orleans. Completed working drawings are calling for the build-out of a 22,300-square-foot grocery store. The scope of work will include coolers, a stockroom, check-out lanes, and office space. The ow...Click here for complete Project Details

Old Posted Jan 26, 2012, 2:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tennis1400 View Post
The Hornets should be having a big announcement about new ownership next month. Sponsorship is a great idea guys. Also give the Hornets a bit of credit here. How long did the Saints suck for, decades? If we are going to be a world class city we need the diversity of offerings and exposure an NBA franchise brings.
Sorry to backtrack, but I didn't see this the first time. Word is that there are three different prospective ownership groups, one of which would feature Mike Dunleavy of the Clippers, one which is made up of unknowns, and the third of which is Tom Benson. Not sure how I would feel about it becoming the de facto Benson CBD, but we would be pretty much guaranteed to keep the team that way.

Old Posted Jan 26, 2012, 7:45 AM
TL;DR

Loyola Streetcar Update

Getting started on the downriver end

Sinking a pit for utility relocation

Preparing for the track slab

A clean swath sliced out of the pavement for the new slab

Rails awaiting use

Forms for one of the slabs at the UPT

Final slab is poured near the Hyatt

Footings for the canopies at the UPT

Old Posted Jan 26, 2012, 4:33 PM

Ownership

Quote:
Sorry to backtrack, but I didn't see this the first time. Word is that there are three different prospective ownership groups, one of which would feature Mike Dunleavy of the Clippers, one which is made up of unknowns, and the third of which is Tom Benson. Not sure how I would feel about it becoming the de facto Benson CBD, but we would be pretty much guaranteed to keep the team that way.
I would have to think that MOBART is involved somehow (morris bart).

Old Posted Jan 26, 2012, 6:29 PM
-

Benson would make a lot of sense because he could cross pollinate the talent and advertising for the two teams. The more Saints/Hornets together the better for the Hornets.

Old Posted Jan 27, 2012, 4:26 AM

BioDistrict New Orleans

Sorry for the old news - it was composed in June 2011 - but I've never seen this presentation on the website before. It's drawings and renderings for housing/ retail in the BioDistrict. I definitely like the proposed housing along Tulane across from the hospitals. I also really like the park/trees between Poydras and I-10. Notice too that there is no I-10 over Claiborne Avenue, and the interchange is reworked and much smaller.

http://biodistrictneworleans.org/res...rking-paper-8/

Old Posted Jan 27, 2012, 4:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blitzen View Post
Sorry for the old news - it was composed in June 2011 - but I've never seen this presentation on the website before. It's drawings and renderings for housing/ retail in the BioDistrict. I definitely like the proposed housing along Tulane across from the hospitals. I also really like the park/trees between Poydras and I-10. Notice too that there is no I-10 over Claiborne Avenue, and the interchange is reworked and much smaller.

http://biodistrictneworleans.org/res...rking-paper-8/
Thanks. Hadn't seen this. I live in the BioDistrict, apparently. How solid are these plans?

Old Posted Jan 27, 2012, 5:36 AM

Quote:
Thanks. Hadn't seen this. I live in the BioDistrict, apparently. How solid are these plans?
I'd say the plans are pretty squishy, especially after seeing this news video tonight:

http://www.fox8live.com/news/local/s...ocLzcaajA.cspx

Old Posted Jan 27, 2012, 7:39 AM
TL;DR

Cool plans. A couple thoughts:

Planning should work to make the neighborhoods flow as seamlessly as possible. That means tearing down the Claiborne viaduct (which is in the plan) and a new I-10 overpass at Galvez (which isn't).

Planning should consider transit as an integral part of the plan, not a fantastical streetcar plan from la-la land. Not saying streetcars are a bad idea, but the planning needs to deal with the reality that MOST of the transit in the area will be provided by buses, and work to improve bus transit.

Finally - planning should identify a few (maybe 4 or 5) sites for signature tall buildings. Not skyscrapers, but buildings in the 10-15 story range that can act as focal points for the newly redeveloped areas. Planning would essentially preserve the views around these small towers for decades, so you could probably build them with 30-50 units for the high-end.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > City Compilations