HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Southwest

Old Posted Feb 2, 2018, 1:57 AM

Lots of things going on in Phoenix this weekend, it's high tourist season.

Old Posted Feb 2, 2018, 6:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RonnieFoos View Post
I have no idea why, but Downtown is pretty busy tonight...busier than normal...some kind of cowboy convention going on or something.

I was walking next to a group of about 10 people obviously from Missouri talking about Kansas City. They seemed very impressed with Downtown Phoenix and saying nothing but positive things, and if it were Kansas City, everything closes after 5 and there are "nothing but tumbleweeds blowing around".

I couldn't help but smile hearing this! I think this really shows the change in perception Downtown is making towards visitors and the like. And there were a lot of "up-lookers" checking out the cranes and taking pics of the buildings.

So great to see this! I had to share with you all
It was literally a cowboy convention! it was a convention for Cattle raisers and associates in the industry. I talked to one from Sacramento last night at Cornish. He wasn't so complimentary of downtown but he is from California so you cant take what he says with much credibility

Old Posted Feb 2, 2018, 8:57 PM
Modulator

They've pulled the barriers for the triangle in time for First Friday.

AZ Central article states they placed no sleeping signs around the triangle.

https://www.azcentral.com/story/news...amp/301188002/

Old Posted Feb 10, 2018, 5:59 PM

So it's been on my mind lately, and forgive me if this has been debated to death already...but Phoenix doesn't really have a "town square" or hub that locals can uniquely call their own. Philadelphia has Rittenhouse Square and Love Park, SF has Union, Oakland with Jack London, LA with Pershing, and so on.

I would consider Civic Space Park (since the dethroning of Patriot's) our square but there's little to do and its small patronage is attractive to the homeless. Hance Park acts as our lawn and has plenty more attractions (by Phx standards) but I wouldn't consider it the hub. Of course with the addition of more residential this should increase CSP's popularity, at least during daytime hours, but I can't help but think it would become a natural hub if adjacent to an eccentric museum or a landmark fountain or column were to be built where the bus stop is now. I know you can't force a park to be popular but it's depressing to think this city doesn't have a square which the locals can call uniquely Phoenix. Maybe as the city increases in density over the next few decades, time will tell...or maybe hasn't been built yet.

Old Posted Feb 10, 2018, 9:53 PM
Skyriser

The exact problem is there's not enough surrounding density, so the homeless outnumber, overwhelm, and keep away anyone else. This was Hance's and PSP's problem *forever.*

It also doesn't quite help that Valley residents don't really have a history of tolerance for the homeless that other cities do, nor does it help that their numbers have skyrocketed recently.

I used to think a few homeless weren't a problem and you don't want those fearsome sheltered suburbanites ruining downtown anyways, but it's obviously long passed its breaking point lately.

Phoenix lacks the compassion in its conservatism that, eg, SLC employs in its "housing first" policies. FWIW, that's not any partisan damnation, it's too expensive to do that in cities like Portland and Seattle, SF is both expensive and lacks the accountability, LA only was able by literally taxing themselves billions that for better or worse wouldn't fly here.

With the opioid crisis and politics where they are I don't really see this going away anytime soon.

Last edited by combusean; Feb 10, 2018 at 10:18 PM.

Old Posted Feb 18, 2018, 11:10 PM

More signs the market will soon reset

https://www.azcentral.com/story/mone...udy/338127002/

Old Posted Feb 19, 2018, 12:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by biggus diggus View Post
More signs the market will soon reset

https://www.azcentral.com/story/mone...udy/338127002/
I'll be the devil's advocate.

Just because rents have overall gone up twice as much as wages doesn't necessarily lead to the conclusion that rents have gone up too much.

It's my understanding that the majority of Phoenix rental developments have been at the high end of the range catering to higher income people that may have formerly been owners (empty nesters), and/or younger professionals that are delaying or foregoing home ownership.

Essentially, the new high-end developments downtown Phoenix, Tempe, and in Scottsdale are raising average rents overall. While this leads to an overall increase in the average rent in the Valley, it doesn't necessarily mean that a 2 bed unit in west Mesa, south Phoenix, or Glendale has correspondingly increased at twice the rate of wages.

To get a better idea of whether rents are too high, it would be helpful to break down the numbers into different strata by ZIP and apartment size and type.

All that being said, I do believe that high end rentals in the Valley may be overpriced. I have friends from Denver who are looking at highrise apartments in downtown Denver. When comparing to what's available in downtown Phoenix, I was surprised at how close in price they were.

Old Posted Feb 19, 2018, 3:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nickw252 View Post

Just because rents have overall gone up twice as much as wages doesn't necessarily lead to the conclusion that rents have gone up too much.

It's my understanding that the majority of Phoenix rental developments have been at the high end of the range catering to higher income people that may have formerly been owners (empty nesters), and/or younger professionals that are delaying or foregoing home ownership.

Essentially, the new high-end developments downtown Phoenix, Tempe, and in Scottsdale are raising average rents overall. While this leads to an overall increase in the average rent in the Valley, it doesn't necessarily mean that a 2 bed unit in west Mesa, south Phoenix, or Glendale has correspondingly increased at twice the rate of wages.

To get a better idea of whether rents are too high, it would be helpful to break down the numbers into different strata by ZIP and apartment size and type.

All that being said, I do believe that high end rentals in the Valley may be overpriced. I have friends from Denver who are looking at highrise apartments in downtown Denver. When comparing to what's available in downtown Phoenix, I was surprised at how close in price they were.
What will be interesting to watch now is if the high rents create more demand for condo developments as renters look for more affordable options.

Old Posted Feb 19, 2018, 3:12 PM

Plans drawn up for world's tallest wooden skyscraper https://t.co/II0hggbjCw

Thought this was interesting.

Old Posted Feb 20, 2018, 3:41 PM
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by Classical in Phoenix View Post
Plans drawn up for world's tallest wooden skyscraper https://t.co/II0hggbjCw

Thought this was interesting.
Very cool. Even cooler would be to name it Jenga Tower.

Old Posted Feb 20, 2018, 7:11 PM

Some (albeit incomplete) details on what Phoenix offered Amazon.

http://www.phoenixnewtimes.com/news/...n-hq2-10154403

Old Posted Feb 23, 2018, 2:55 AM

Just found this old PDF with plans for the canal banks, looking at these drawings and plans made me really sad they never materialized.

https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&sour...4jPt-rgnr-63L8

Old Posted Feb 23, 2018, 6:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nickw252 View Post

Agreed.

Depending on definition there's been little high-rise apartment construction in Denver. I can only think of four off the top of my head that are over 20 stories. While they keep going higher, projects are mostly in the 8 to 18-story range. Denver looks to be one of several cities from L.A. to Manhattan that with the coming tsunami of units under construction are headed for oversaturation. Word is that TCR/CBRE had an investor pull out of a project they were close to breaking ground on. That may be a repeating theme.

I would guess that downtown Phoenix is still a good risk with reasonable upside compared to many places - at this point in time. In fact, I could see Phoenix benefiting from other cities excesses.

Old Posted Feb 24, 2018, 5:54 PM

http://www.wickenburgsun.com/news/ar...30184893099378

An update on the Castle Hot Spring's defibrillation. Ton of history on these grounds, I'm delighted it's being brought back to life in light of recent preservation failures in town.

Old Posted Feb 25, 2018, 5:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phxguy View Post
http://www.wickenburgsun.com/news/ar...30184893099378

An update on the Castle Hot Spring's defibrillation. Ton of history on these grounds, I'm delighted it's being brought back to life in light of recent preservation failures in town.
Yeah - its about the right time for this. City of Peoria isn’t too far away to help support it. Just wondering if they are improving the roadway. Its not an easy place to get to - and a good storm will wash out the only way in/out of there. I recall they were talking about helicopter service to/from there - but if they’re putting up a brewery - I’d expect that means they would want people to travel there on the weekend for some drinks...so a good road would go a long way to helping this.

Old Posted Feb 26, 2018, 3:28 PM

Bids surpass $15M in Phoenix Indian School land auction [behind paywall]

Bids surpass $15M in Phoenix Indian School land auction

By Mike Sunnucks – Senior Reporter, Phoenix Business Journal
Feb 23, 2018, 3:21pm MST
Auction bids for a prime piece of land in Phoenix at Central Avenue and Indian School Road have surpassed the $15 million mark.

The U.S. government is auctioning 15 acres of land in midtown Phoenix next to Steele Indian School Park and Metro light rail.

Bids started at $10 million on Feb. 12. They’ve since risen to $15.2 million. That was put in by Friday after another group bid $14.4 million Friday morning.

There are five groups bidding for the land, which could accommodate commercial development, apartments or condos.

The names of the bidders have not been disclosed. The auction officially ends Saturday.

Officials at the U.S. General Services Administration, which is handling the auction, could not be reached for comment on details of the bids.

The land has been undeveloped for years and was previously owned by the Barron Collier Cos.

The federal government took the land back from the Florida developer as part of a settlement after Barron Collier Cos. stopped making payments to Native American education funds.

https://www.bizjournals.com/phoenix/...hool-land.html

Old Posted Feb 26, 2018, 5:12 PM
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by crwhiteinaz View Post
Bids surpass $15M in Phoenix Indian School land auction

By Mike Sunnucks – Senior Reporter, Phoenix Business Journal
Feb 23, 2018, 3:21pm MST
Auction bids for a prime piece of land in Phoenix at Central Avenue and Indian School Road have surpassed the $15 million mark.

The U.S. government is auctioning 15 acres of land in midtown Phoenix next to Steele Indian School Park and Metro light rail.

Bids started at $10 million on Feb. 12. They’ve since risen to $15.2 million. That was put in by Friday after another group bid $14.4 million Friday morning.

There are five groups bidding for the land, which could accommodate commercial development, apartments or condos.

The names of the bidders have not been disclosed. The auction officially ends Saturday.

Officials at the U.S. General Services Administration, which is handling the auction, could not be reached for comment on details of the bids.

The land has been undeveloped for years and was previously owned by the Barron Collier Cos.

The federal government took the land back from the Florida developer as part of a settlement after Barron Collier Cos. stopped making payments to Native American education funds.

https://www.bizjournals.com/phoenix/...hool-land.html
Since three of those corners need redevelopment BADLY, we'll have grey pubes by the time the Barron Colliers land gets developed into something worthwhile. I would actually love for them to extend the park to the corner. Maybe have a grand, tree-lined entrance with a fountain, perhaps. That park has so little street presence.

Old Posted Feb 26, 2018, 6:46 PM

Old Posted Mar 1, 2018, 6:15 PM

I know some here have some experience with and opinions about Michael Lafferty. Since he does ostensibly do some development (or at least entitlements to facilitate selling land to others to develop), thought it was interesting to note he has apparently thrown his hat in the mayoral race.

https://downtowndevil.com/2018/03/01...essman-enters/

I don't know anything about him and have no idea whether he would be a good or bad mayor.

Old Posted Mar 1, 2018, 6:35 PM

"None of his properties used tax incentive breaks known as GPLETs."

This is also true of every other development that was never built.

Wayne is right on this one, Lafferty has zero qualifications. It's no different from me running for mayor.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Southwest