HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada

Old Posted Sep 7, 2016, 5:24 AM

Attendance was just for info not for bragging. TSN announced 20 thousand so I shared.

Old Posted Sep 7, 2016, 5:28 AM

Ya that's the early crowd I saw on tv as well and thot what's going on but it filled in decently as time went on. It was no 55 thousand like last time versus Mexico in Vancouver.

Old Posted Sep 7, 2016, 3:07 PM
ハルウララ

Canada should be beating teams like El Salvador. Floro's done, so at least there's that, but they've effectively wasted four years and a World Cup cycle on him. Dream on for 2022. 20K is good for a match that effectively meant nothing.

Old Posted Sep 7, 2016, 3:28 PM

Haha my posts got moved. Well it makes a little more sense here but it wasn't an MLS match it was team Canada. I guess that's only a "stadiums under construction" thread.

Old Posted Sep 7, 2016, 3:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JHikka View Post
Canada should be beating teams like El Salvador. Floro's done, so at least there's that, but they've effectively wasted four years and a World Cup cycle on him. Dream on for 2022.
Naw, that can't be right. Canada has to be in the 2018 WC.
I keep hearing how Canada's got a very good team and that anyone who thinks otherwise is a complete moron. I think I heard that on this forum... can't remember who it was that kept attacking people on this though. Hmmmmm.

Old Posted Sep 7, 2016, 3:40 PM
Sawmill Billowtoker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Berklon View Post
I keep hearing how Canada's got a very good team and that anyone who thinks otherwise is a complete moron. I think I heard that on this forum... can't remember who it was that kept attacking people on this though. Hmmmmm.
10 wins, 6 draws, 26 losses if I count correctly.

Old Posted Sep 7, 2016, 5:21 PM
ハルウララ

Quote:
Originally Posted by Denscity View Post
Haha my posts got moved. Well it makes a little more sense here but it wasn't an MLS match it was team Canada. I guess that's only a "stadiums under construction" thread.
Generally that thread is only for discussion about stadiums and apparently not about discussion of events ongoing in those stadiums.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Berklon View Post
Canada doesn't really have a bad team per se (they're still awful at times), but they were managed so poorly that the thin offensive talent they have was essentially negated.

Old Posted Sep 7, 2016, 9:42 PM

Well and it can only be posts about stadiums under construction as well. And all the hate only came from the football loving prairies.

Old Posted Sep 8, 2016, 1:46 AM

[/Forbes Releases 2016 MLS Team Valuations

"NEW YORK (September 7, 2016) – Forbes announces today its fourth-ever franchise valuations for Major League Soccer. The average MLS team is now worth $185 million, up 18% from last year and up a staggering 80% from 2013. The Seattle Sounders remain the most valuable team, worth $285 million....."

http://www.forbes.com/sites/forbespr.../#4175cb44ad17

Code:
Team       Value ($M)	Revenue ($M)	Operating Income ($M)1
Seattle Sounders FC	285	52	9
LA Galaxy	                265	58	5
New York City FC	255	36	-9
Toronto FC	                245	38	-9
Orlando City SC	        240	36	4
Houston Dynamo	215	26	1
Portland Timbers	210	39	3
Sporting Kansas City	195	33	2
New England Revolution185	27	7
San Jose Earthquakes	180	31	3
New York Red Bulls	178	23	-5
Chicago Fire	        177	24	-6
D.C. United	        155	23	-1
Philadelphia Union	152	24	1
FC Dallas	                150	24	-3
Montreal Impact	        135	24	-3
Vancouver Whitecaps FC128	20	-3
Real Salt Lake	        125	24	4
Columbus Crew SC	123	24	-2
Colorado Rapids	        110	16	-4

Old Posted Sep 8, 2016, 1:53 PM
ハルウララ

I'm guessing the recent announcement of having $200M required for an expansion team raised the valuation a tad on some of these franchises.

Old Posted Sep 15, 2016, 8:52 PM

Montreal has had some disappointing results recently. They need to pick up their play if they have a hope of winning a League Championship. Their window will close once Drogba leaves.

In contrast, Toronto is emerging as one of the favorites with their play. Their offense continues to produce 2 or more goals a game on a consistent basis as it should.

Some interesting numbers regarding team revenues and operating profits/losses above. Toronto continues to lose a substantial amount of money largely due to their payroll (all Canadian teams are losing money). I'm a bit surprised that Vancouver's revenues are as low as $20 million, but then again, both they and the BC Lions were fudging their attendance numbers by a few thousand per game. Factor in the lower Canadian dollar and corporate sponsorship that is likely lower than most cities and we end up with the $20 million figure.

Some mid-sized markets in the US are doing very well - Kansas City, Portland and Orlando are all among the top revenue teams in the league and have an operating profit. With their move into a new stadium next year, Orlando should be become a top-3 revenue producer next year. I have also heard that Portland is looking at the possibility of expansion to their stadium up to 30,000 with an upper deck being added above the new stands there. I believe they will be adding a thousand or so seats to the side that borders the athletic club in the next year or so.

Old Posted Sep 16, 2016, 3:02 AM
Unapologetic Occidental

This is not slag but based on some posters here who claim to be in the know, I thought TFC was doing a lot better than that money-wise.

Old Posted Sep 16, 2016, 4:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Acajack View Post
This is not slag but based on some posters here who claim to be in the know, I thought TFC was doing a lot better than that money-wise.
Keep in mind that those as estimates from last year.
TFC of 2017 is having a record year in attendance and is spending the most in the league in salaries.
Anyway the only thing that matters when owning a sports team is franchise value which is increasing much faster than the operating lost.
It will be 300 million in a couple of years for sure.

here is a better chart

Old Posted Sep 16, 2016, 4:28 AM
Unapologetic Occidental

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nite View Post
TFC of 2017 is having a record year in attendance and is spending the most in the league in salaries.
Anyway the only thing that matters when owning a sports team is franchise value which is increasing much faster than the operating lost.

here is a better chart
I knew they had a large salary budget, but still did not expect them to be losing money like this.

Old Posted Sep 16, 2016, 4:53 AM
The Fruit of Discipline

These are estimates by Forbes. The president of MLSE is on record saying that TFC's revenue is $50 million. MLS is known for low balling income statements around the time they negotiate with the players union so everything must be taken with a pinch of salt.

Old Posted Sep 16, 2016, 4:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nite View Post

here is a better chart
For the record, I only know of two teams that have been sold in MLS, Columbus and Washington which I believe sold for $68 and $57 million respectively 3 - 4 years ago. I know Columbus sold for about $10 million more than what they were valued at in 2013.

The sale of the Los Angeles Clippers for $2 billion - a vanity purchase by Balmer - has caused quite the escalation of franchise valuations for all North American pro sports teams in the past 3 years. Ultimately, pro teams are worth what someone is willing to pay for them.

MLS teams' valuations are based on the premise that the league will continue to grow in popularity within the US to the point that TV ratings may finally become comparable to the attendance at many of the stadiums thus leading to a big tv contract. There have been some positive signs in the US but they have a long way to go to have any hope of a big contract in 2022. As for Canada, the ratings continue to be terrible and I am hearing some rumblings that TSN is offering peanuts for broadcasting rights.

Failing a surge in US TV ratings over the next 5 or 6 years, franchise valuations will stabilize, or possibly decline, given you can only extract so much value from live audiences. It will be interesting to see what happens in that timeframe.

Old Posted Sep 16, 2016, 2:16 PM
ハルウララ

Quote:
Originally Posted by blueandgoldguy View Post
For the record, I only know of two teams that have been sold in MLS, Columbus and Washington which I believe sold for $68 and $57 million respectively 3 - 4 years ago. I know Columbus sold for about $10 million more than what they were valued at in 2013.

The sale of the Los Angeles Clippers for $2 billion - a vanity purchase by Balmer - has caused quite the escalation of franchise valuations for all North American pro sports teams in the past 3 years. Ultimately, pro teams are worth what someone is willing to pay for them.

MLS teams' valuations are based on the premise that the league will continue to grow in popularity within the US to the point that TV ratings may finally become comparable to the attendance at many of the stadiums thus leading to a big tv contract. There have been some positive signs in the US but they have a long way to go to have any hope of a big contract in 2022. As for Canada, the ratings continue to be terrible and I am hearing some rumblings that TSN is offering peanuts for broadcasting rights.

Failing a surge in US TV ratings over the next 5 or 6 years, franchise valuations will stabilize, or possibly decline, given you can only extract so much value from live audiences. It will be interesting to see what happens in that timeframe.
The MLS recently set a minimum of $200M for new expansion teams following Minnesota and Atlanta for next season, which has artificially raised current franchise valuations.

Old Posted Sep 16, 2016, 8:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JHikka View Post
The MLS recently set a minimum of $200M for new expansion teams following Minnesota and Atlanta for next season, which has artificially raised current franchise valuations.
And that in turn was influenced by the astronomical amount Balmer paid for the Clippers. This influence of that purchase can be seen with the NHL's expansion fee for Las Vegas - $500 million. It's doubtful, the purchase price would be remotely close to that were it not for his inflated offer to disgraced NBA owner Sterling.

Old Posted Sep 16, 2016, 10:25 PM

Caps aren't doing that well in MLS but have qualified for CONCACAF quarter finals.

Old Posted Sep 19, 2016, 2:26 AM
The Fruit of Discipline

TFC just became the first MLS team this season to clinch a playoff spot. Today was a goalfest, stadium was rocking!

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada