HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Southeast > Atlanta

Old Posted Jul 24, 2015, 5:29 PM

Its not ideal but its their way of dealing with the granite on the site and making the parking deck blend in with the landscape. I don't know how the finished project will look but I like the thought behind it and since this is the Williams street side I'm OK with it.

https://www.google.com/maps/@33.7888...8i6656!6m1!1e1

My big gripe about the recent proposals ( and I know I am in the minority here) is the stupid plaza on Spring Street in the NCR HQ. I just think its completely pointless and detracts from the urbanity of one of Midtown's major roads.

Old Posted Jul 24, 2015, 5:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by smArTaLlone View Post
My big gripe about the recent proposals ( and I know I am in the minority here) is the stupid plaza on Spring Street in the NCR HQ. I just think its completely pointless and detracts from the urbanity of one of Midtown's major roads.
lets take a look at that Spring St. frontage from the models of the NCR proposal. the whole point of the plaza type setting there is to make it a community space. there will be people congregating there all the time. there's going to be a bocce ball court and places to sit. the whole lobby is open to the public. the idea is to draw students in. they want to actively recruit tech students and also alow this space to become part of the college campus in a sense. i think it actually improves the urban environment.. we need more spaces like that in the city. i think the Spring St. side, as seen below looks pretty damn good. I believe there might even be some retail incorporated into the 8th st. side, or the corner of 8th st. and williams more specifically.

Old Posted Jul 24, 2015, 10:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by forj View Post
lets take a look at that Spring St. frontage from the models of the NCR proposal. the whole point of the plaza type setting there is to make it a community space. there will be people congregating there all the time. there's going to be a bocce ball court and places to sit. the whole lobby is open to the public. the idea is to draw students in. they want to actively recruit tech students and also alow this space to become part of the college campus in a sense. i think it actually improves the urban environment.. we need more spaces like that in the city. i think the Spring St. side, as seen below looks pretty damn good. I believe there might even be some retail incorporated into the 8th st. side, or the corner of 8th st. and williams more specifically.
The problem is that having people congregate in such a place is always the idea but rarely the reality once built. I don't really see anything here that makes me believe it will turn out any different. I just think it would do a lot more for the vibrancy of the area if they just build up to the street and make the street level as engaging as possible.

By the way, the Business Chronicle has an article on all the development on Spring Street and West Peachtree that are now in the midst of $1 billion dollars worth of development. That's quite a change from the past when nearly everything was focused on Peachtree Street.

Old Posted Jul 25, 2015, 7:16 PM

As a kid in Denver one thing I remember from visiting downtown was a lot of the office buildings had little plazas on the street. One had a bunch of fountains that we played in so I think it can attract people especially since it is fratty college stuff in the plaza plus from curbed's article it seems there will be retail along the plaza assuming lease space is referring to retail. I think it isn't necessary for every building to be as close to the sidewalk as possible. I wonder if all this development will encourage GaTech to redevelop the parking lot in the heart of tech square. A pocket park would do well there

Old Posted Jul 27, 2015, 10:15 PM

Alta Midtown (33 Peachtree Place) Progress

Old Posted Jul 28, 2015, 5:37 PM

Developer Buys the Masquerade, Surrounding Land for $5.3M

http://atlanta.curbed.com/archives/2...-for-53m-3.php

Quote:
The plan is to transform The Masquerade building (once DuPre Excelsior Mill) into a 24,000-square-foot adaptive reuse development that would include a 4,500-square-foot restaurant in the music park area behind the building. The entire 3.3-acre lot will also be home to 220 apartments and eight lofts within two years. The project, designed by Smith Dalia Architects, is expected to break ground in October.

Old Posted Jul 29, 2015, 2:27 PM

Quote:
I saw Fugazi there on my 16th birthday, Jawbreaker, Dr. Dog, and countless other great shows. I'm pretty sad, but it's not like I've been to a show there in a long time and I guess it was more or less inevitable.

I think I'm more concerned about the new omnipresent mid-rise cookie cutter apartment buildings in that area that are sprouting up like mushrooms. They're all so bland and terrible. Smith Dalia does decent work, but surely the developer won't be looking to do anything innovative.

Apropos of nothing, Alexan Krog is hands down one of the ugliest buildings in Atlanta and both the architect and reps from Trammel Crow should be dragged outside and summarily executed.

Old Posted Jul 29, 2015, 2:29 PM

Quote:

Lots of cheap stucco and barely any attempt to disguise this as anything other than a parking deck. Hooray! I suppose it's better than a surface lot. Barely.

Old Posted Jul 29, 2015, 8:14 PM

Completely agree. 33 Peachtree Place is a disappointment to me with that parking garage. It's AWFUL. It doesn't look like they'll be covering it either...just terrible. It's extremely obvious it's a parking garage.

I knew that lot should have just been turned into a public greenspace/park with a grand fountain or sculpture in the middle. We need more of those.

Old Posted Jul 31, 2015, 8:48 PM

For a non-podium deck, that's a huge step above a lot of decks around the city. It's also going to be wrapped with apartments and retail. It's probably going to look okay when the project is finished.

Old Posted Jul 31, 2015, 11:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pemgin View Post
For a non-podium deck, that's a huge step above a lot of decks around the city. It's also going to be wrapped with apartments and retail. It's probably going to look okay when the project is finished.
I agree. I think the block will be hugely improved when it's finished. The materials they are using on the store fronts and the residential tower are above average in quality.

Old Posted Aug 5, 2015, 5:24 PM

Noble plans dual-branded hotel for Midtown

http://www.bizjournals.com/atlanta/r...r-midtown.html

Quote:
Atlanta's Noble Investment Group is planning a dual-branded hotel in Midtown, according to plans filed with the Midtown Alliance.
The project would come to what’s now a parking lot along 14th Street, between the Four Seasons Atlanta and Atlanta Marriott Suites Midtown hotels.
Few other details are available at this time. The project is set to go before Midtown’s Development Review Committee next week.

Old Posted Aug 5, 2015, 5:29 PM

Next Week's DRC Agenda

• NEW APPLICATION: Dual-branded hotel between 13th and 14th Street – Noble
    Project Type: New construction of a dual-branded hotel with approximately 300 hotel rooms and 300 parking spaces, a portion of which (+/- 130 spaces) will be allocated for public use. There will also be a publically accessible pedestrian connection between 14th Street and 13th Street running along the western edge of the property.

• FOLLOW-UP: Mixed-Use at Peachtree and 17th Street – The Simpson Organization
    Project Type: Planned as a new mixed-use project on the northeast corner where three existing commercial buildings and a ‘pocket park’ currently exist. The new development will include two buildings: 190,000 sf Office Building with 11,000 sf of street level retail and structured
    parking for 650 cars. Residential/Hotel tower with approximately 206 luxury apartment units and 140 hotel guestrooms, along with various amenity spaces and a street level retail café on the corner of 17th Street.

• FOLLOW-UP: 1400 West Peachtree Street – Greystar
    Project Type: Planned as a new mixed-use project at the southwest corner of West Peachtree Street
    and 18th Street. The new development will include: 24 story residential component (323 units) on the southeast portion of the site; 8 story hotel component (+/- 160 rooms) on the northeast corner of the site; approximately 4,000 SF of restaurant space on West Peachtree Street; 3,000 - 5,000 SF of retail and bike facility space on Spring Street; 564 parking spaces

Old Posted Aug 5, 2015, 5:48 PM
Development Spectator

Quote:
  • NEW APPLICATION: Dual-branded hotel between 13th and 14th Street – Noble
    Project Type: New construction of a dual-branded hotel with approximately 300 hotel rooms and 300 parking spaces, a portion of which (+/- 130 spaces) will be allocated for public use. There will also be a publically accessible pedestrian connection between 14th Street and 13th Street running along the western edge of the property.
Way too early to know for sure but the lot size for this location is not much wider than the lot for the 18 story Hampton Inn with 152 rooms and 103 parking spots. The lot is deeper but with a dual-brand hotel it is likely one of the hotels will be more of a luxury brand with larger rooms. 300 rooms and 300 parking spots (assuming they do a podium deck) may be 25-30 floors at this location.

Old Posted Aug 7, 2015, 12:18 AM

Some renderings of 455 14th street

Old Posted Aug 9, 2015, 3:12 PM

Modera Morningside

Old Posted Aug 12, 2015, 8:56 PM

Noble plans AC Hotel by Marriott/Moxy hotel for Midtown

http://www.bizjournals.com/atlanta/r...-marriott.html

Quote:
Atlanta’s Noble Investment Group plans to bring a new kind of dual-branded hotel to Midtown.

The roughly 300-room hotel would blend two Marriott products: the AC Hotel by Marriott, a contemporary European-inspired flag, with Moxy hotel, Marriott’s newest brand that targets the Millennial traveler with smaller rooms and more affordable prices. Moxy would be a new brand for the Atlanta market.

Old Posted Aug 13, 2015, 3:49 PM

Greystar moves forward with $150 million Midtown mixed-use project

I've seen their projects in other cities and thought this one had a chance to be nice once we got a more detailed design.
Why can't some of the local developers do projects like this

http://www.bizjournals.com/atlanta/r...n-midtown.html
Quote:
The developer is proposing a two-building project called Ascent Midtown with 323 residential units, a 165-key hotel, 3,000-square-foot restaurant and 3,000-5,000 square feet of retail and bike facility space.

The project would rise on about 1.5 acres at 1400 West Peachtree St., a site just north of the Center Stage Theater and the MARTA Arts Center station.

“It would be really nice if this project becomes a model,” said Tony Rizzuto, an architect who serves on Midtown’s DRC and as president of the Midtown Neighbors Association. He referred to the green wall and other design elements, including the screening of the parking deck.

Old Posted Aug 16, 2015, 11:51 PM

New Tech dorms?

I noticed on a flyer from SRS that there is a project listed on the parking lot at Tech Square on Spring street. The site is owned by the Board of Regents. The address listed is wrong but the specifics of the project don't match any other project as far as I know. Anyone have any knowledge of this project?

http://www.srsre.com/system/pdf_flye...pdf?1435757652

Old Posted Aug 17, 2015, 1:41 PM

^I think it's just an error. 848 Spring St is Square on Fifth, and the number of apartments matches. There are a number of other errors on that map ("modero" instead of "modera") so I wouldn't put much faith in it.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Southeast > Atlanta