HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > City Compilations

Old Posted Nov 11, 2011, 11:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ardecila View Post
This will be pretty worthless unless it can also be enforced against DOTD. The city doesn't have the money to pedestrianize the city, and when they do, they've generally been pretty sensitive to pedestrians and bikers.

DOTD on the other hand is building stuff actively hostile to pedestrians (Earhart, Tchoupitoulas, Claiborne, etc...)
Well, on the bright side not many of the streets in the city are maintained by DOTD. Claiborne, N. Broad/Chef, parts of Tulane, parts of Gentilly, Elysian Fields, and Earhart are the only ones coming to mind right now. Gentilly has the most bike friendly bike lanes in the city that share pavement with cars and Elysian fields will have bike lanes by the end of the year. I also though that S. Claiborne was getting a neutral ground bike path.

Last edited by Uptowner; Nov 12, 2011 at 2:20 AM.

Old Posted Nov 12, 2011, 12:55 AM

Exclamation

Talk about pedestrian nightmare, that is Gen. deGaulle in Algiers. Widening from 3 to 4 lanes each direction. NIGHTMARE.

Old Posted Nov 12, 2011, 6:49 AM

Armstrong Park

There was a story on WWL TV tonight about neighborhood groups trying to improve Armstrong Park.

I've been telling friends/relatives that in order for Armstrong Park to be a true, vibrant urban park (instead of the new urbanist wasteland that it currently is), the park needs to take down the fences. The other step, in order to increase foot traffic in the park and make it safe, would be to build 2 or 3 mid-rise apartment buildings / condos on the perimeter of the park. Think Central Park in NYC, flanked by housing units. If you do this, there will be enough "eyes on the street" in the park, and enough foot traffic, to keep it from feeling dangerous. And those stupid horrible fences can come down. Another thing: when you look at Armstrong Park in satellite view, its apparent that almost the whole thing is wasted in useless lagoons. I think the lagoons should be significantly scaled back, so that the space can be better used for recreation by neighbors. Man oh man, if only I had any money and/or political sway.
http://maps.google.com/maps?q=new+or...siana&t=h&z=18

Last edited by cameron70115; Nov 12, 2011 at 7:04 AM.

Old Posted Nov 12, 2011, 7:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cameron70115 View Post
There was a story on WWL TV tonight about neighborhood groups trying to improve Armstrong Park.

I've been telling friends/relatives that in order for Armstrong Park to be a true, vibrant urban park (instead of the new urbanist wasteland that it currently is), the park needs to take down the fences. The other step, in order to increase foot traffic in the park and make it safe, would be to build 2 or 3 mid-rise apartment buildings / condos on the perimeter of the park. Think Central Park in NYC, flanked by housing units. If you do this, there will be enough "eyes on the street" in the park, and enough foot traffic, to keep it from feeling dangerous. And those stupid horrible fences can come down. Man oh man, if only I had any money and/or political sway.
Yea those fences are horrible. Some of the properties on St. Phillip and Treme St don't help either. The streetcar line would help that area though and revitalize some of the buildings on Rampart and make the entrance more attractive.

Old Posted Nov 12, 2011, 1:40 PM
TL;DR

I think the first step is to revitalize Rampart. FQ groups have been very, very resistant to bars and entertainment in that area, but so long as Rampart is a ghost town, nobody will even think of taking down the fences at Armstrong Park. After that, maybe we can discuss taking down the fences on the west and Treme sides.

Sad story: I've never actually been in the park, because every time I go, it's gated and locked.

Old Posted Nov 12, 2011, 2:37 PM

It isn't that bad, but IMO the most egregious waste of space are the surface level parking lots on the lakeside of the park.

Old Posted Nov 12, 2011, 3:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DillardAlum View Post
It isn't that bad, but IMO the most egregious waste of space are the surface level parking lots on the lakeside of the park.
Agreed. If those were turned into soccer/volleyball fields, a dog park, or anything else to get big numbers of pedestrians out there, the park would get a lot more attention and feel safer. Also, if the lines of sight were improved, i.e. you could see the entire park from any point inside the park, people would feel safer. Then, too, the fences could come down.

Old Posted Nov 12, 2011, 4:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blitzen View Post
Agreed. If those were turned into soccer/volleyball fields, a dog park, or anything else to get big numbers of pedestrians out there, the park would get a lot more attention and feel safer. Also, if the lines of sight were improved, i.e. you could see the entire park from any point inside the park, people would feel safer. Then, too, the fences could come down.
I hate that. If somebody comes up on you, nobody can see. Not really reassuring.

Old Posted Nov 12, 2011, 5:02 PM

Quote:
when you look at Armstrong Park in satellite view, its apparent that almost the whole thing is wasted in useless lagoons. I think the lagoons should be significantly scaled back, so that the space can be better used for recreation by neighbors.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blitzen View Post

Agreed. As it is there really isn't any reason that I can think of for anyone to even go in the park outside of going to the Mahalia Jackson Theater. It's basically statues, water, and surface parking.

Old Posted Nov 12, 2011, 6:19 PM

New Urbanist wasteland? What about Armstrong Park is new urbanist?
Nothing.

And people don't want to go into Armstrong Park because its in Treme. Right or wrong, the perception is one of fear.

Should Rampart continue to develop and let HANO redevelop Iberville with ground floor retail...things for Armstrong Park might start looking up.

Old Posted Nov 13, 2011, 12:32 AM
TL;DR

A little tidbit: in the new T-P article about the Rice Mill Lofts, Sean Cummings mentioned that the Downriver Park project is on track for completion by next October. If anybody would know, it's him.

I'm guessing NOBC got rid of whoever was responsible for their social media, so we haven't seen any updates.

Old Posted Nov 13, 2011, 2:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Uptowngirl View Post
New Urbanist wasteland? What about Armstrong Park is new urbanist?
Nothing.

And people don't want to go into Armstrong Park because its in Treme. Right or wrong, the perception is one of fear.
OK, maybe I'm wrong that the park is new urbanist, but you're incorrect when you say that everyone is afraid to go into Treme. Have you been in Treme? A lot of it has gentrified quite a lot. Are those people too scared to go to their own condos?

As far as New Urbanism, I don't know what the technical term for hair-brained urban planning ideas from the 1970s is. "New Urbanist" seemed to fit. Oops.

Old Posted Nov 13, 2011, 4:36 AM

Tulane football stadium likely to be announced in next few weeks. Probably going to be shoehorned in behind the Reily Center. Originally reported by Kaare Johnson on 690-AM, but here's a story from Fox 8. According to posts on Tulane message board, stadium will hold somewhere around 30k, with an expansion built into the building plans. Very good news for New Orleans sports fans!
http://www.fox8live.com/news/local/s...dWQNrJcsg.cspx

Old Posted Nov 13, 2011, 11:39 AM
TL;DR

Quote:
As far as New Urbanism, I don't know what the technical term for hair-brained urban planning ideas from the 1970s is. "New Urbanist" seemed to fit. Oops.
urban renewal

Old Posted Nov 13, 2011, 8:40 PM

Quote:
OK, maybe I'm wrong that the park is new urbanist, but you're incorrect when you say that everyone is afraid to go into Treme. Have you been in Treme? A lot of it has gentrified quite a lot. Are those people too scared to go to their own condos?

New Urbanism is old urbanism. There is nothing about tearing out part of Treme to build a part that is new urbanist. I think you were looking for "urban revitalization", which is the nutty ideas that ripped out of architectural and urban soul of America.

Er, yeah what he said ^

Old Posted Nov 13, 2011, 10:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Uptowngirl View Post
New Urbanism is old urbanism. There is nothing about tearing out part of Treme to build a part that is new urbanist. I think you were looking for "urban revitalization", which is the nutty ideas that ripped out of architectural and urban soul of America.

Er, yeah what he said ^

Everything old is not worth saving.

Old Posted Nov 14, 2011, 5:03 AM

Quote:
Tulane football stadium likely to be announced in next few weeks. Probably going to be shoehorned in behind the Reily Center. Originally reported by Kaare Johnson on 690-AM, but here's a story from Fox 8. According to posts on Tulane message board, stadium will hold somewhere around 30k, with an expansion built into the building plans. Very good news for New Orleans sports fans!
http://www.fox8live.com/news/local/s...dWQNrJcsg.cspx
Forgive my ignorance, but what exactly do Benson and the Glazer family have to do with Tulane? Are they both alums? 70k NFL stadiums cost 3 or 400 mill, and I don't see Benson putting up $50m or so just to say that he lives down the street from a college stadium. What's the deal here?

Old Posted Nov 14, 2011, 8:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris from N.O. View Post
Forgive my ignorance, but what exactly do Benson and the Glazer family have to do with Tulane? Are they both alums? 70k NFL stadiums cost 3 or 400 mill, and I don't see Benson putting up $50m or so just to say that he lives down the street from a college stadium. What's the deal here?
Well Malcolm Glazer's granddaughter goes to Tulane from what I understand and considering he owns the Tampa Bay Buccaneers and Manchester United I think its safe to say he likes investing in sports. As for Benson, I think he went to Loyola, and this is speculation, but it might be damage control for his image in New Orleans after the debacle with him wanting to move the Saints before and after Katrina. I know this would be much more money, but he has built buildings before at Brother Martin High School and Loyola so its not completely out of his nature. Also, the Saints used to play at Tulane's former stadium, so it does seem kind of fitting for the Saints to help out Tulane after Tulane helped the Saints.

Old Posted Nov 14, 2011, 10:58 AM
TL;DR

Alright, so now we'll have 30000 seats on campus. Even if every student goes, though, that's only 12000 seats filled. For full attendance, you'd need another 18000 fans to come. There's nowhere near enough parking Uptown for that. Plus, there aren't too many non-student and alumni fans that want to attend right now at the Superdome. I can't imagine that number will increase when games are moved to a tight Uptown site that's harder to get to and harder to park at. (Plus, there's virtually no public transportation that serves the site).

Quote:
Originally Posted by NOLAmike
Well Malcolm Glazer's granddaughter goes to Tulane from what I understand and considering he owns the Tampa Bay Buccaneers and Manchester United I think its safe to say he likes investing in sports. As for Benson, I think he went to Loyola, and this is speculation, but it might be damage control for his image in New Orleans after the debacle with him wanting to move the Saints before and after Katrina. I know this would be much more money, but he has built buildings before at Brother Martin High School and Loyola so its not completely out of his nature. Also, the Saints used to play at Tulane's former stadium, so it does seem kind of fitting for the Saints to help out Tulane after Tulane helped the Saints.
IIRC Tulane received an ownership stake in the Superdome because they owned some of the land back in the 60s reserved for the Tulane Medical Center. That provided them with a way to relocate the football team and recapture all of the Tulane Stadium land for campus expansion (there are now several dorms, a fitness center, a garage, and lots of athletic facilities there). It could be that Benson is buying Tulane's share in return for funding the new stadium.

Still, it's starting to seem geometrically impossible to cram 30000 seats around the dinky little practice field.

Old Posted Nov 14, 2011, 3:03 PM

Grand Palace Implosion

Does anyone have an idea for a place / vantage point to watch the implosion on Sunday with bloody marys etc? I'll gladly bring some supplies...

There is a bar nearby (handsome willys) but it's just across the interstate and I would think that they'll shut the place down for safety reasons.

What about access to the LSU med center parking decks? I dont' mind paying to 'park" in there for a few hours and setup a tailgate!! Then again, these are relatively close...does anyone know how far back they'll keep everyone? Other ideas?

On Tulane stadium...i think it's pretty silly. As a Loyola alum...neither Loyola or Tulane students really give a sh** about their schools teams.

I went to the Navy v Tulane game in the Superdome (sister is navy) and I think Navy flew more fans in than Tulane fans.. it was sad.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > City Compilations