HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada

Old Posted Aug 27, 2013, 7:54 PM
digital b0y

The Great Canadian Ports and Harbours thread

Forgive me if I am duplicating an already existing thread about the same subject as this might already have been discussed in the past but I was shocked and really surprised today when i saw some stats about the busiest ports in Canada for cargo tonnage. The stats I have are from 2011 and shows Metro Vancouver port BY FAR the most important port in Canada. This makes a lot of sense to me as Vancouver is our biggest coastal city, but I am really surprised to see Halifax only 12th on that list while my hometown Quebec City is listed #3, ahead of Montreal.

Top 20 here :

Complete list from my source : http://www.aapa-ports.org/Industry/c...ItemNumber=900

Anybody else have some recent statistics or more in-depth info, please feel free to share it

a political policy characterized by inertia and antipathy to change

Last edited by digitboy; Aug 28, 2013 at 12:16 PM. Reason: Updated with new link to image

Old Posted Aug 27, 2013, 8:00 PM
I ♣ Baby Seals

What port is Newfoundland Offshore? It's not St. John's because that's listed separately, but... ? Is that combining freight to/from our oil rigs?

Old Posted Aug 27, 2013, 8:03 PM
digital b0y

Quote:
Originally Posted by SignalHillHiker View Post
What port is Newfoundland Offshore? It's not St. John's because that's listed separately, but... ? Is that combining freight to/from our oil rigs?
I think that's what it is, yes.

and also, while we are at it, what is or where is "Come-By-Chance" ?

a political policy characterized by inertia and antipathy to change

Old Posted Aug 27, 2013, 8:11 PM
I ♣ Baby Seals

Quote:
Originally Posted by digitboy View Post
I think that's what it is, yes.

and also, while we are at it, what is or where is "Come-By-Chance" ?
It's two small towns (Come by Chance and Sunnyside) and our primary oil refinery.

http://www.pbase.com/joecanada/image...3/original.jpg

I should clarify: the two towns you see in this photo ARE NOT Come by Chance and Sunnyside, which are out-of-view beyond the top of the photo. Those two are Arnold's Cove (above) and Southern Harbour (below). But you can see the refinery.

It's located on the Avalon Peninsula like St. John's, but quite a distance away. I think, maybe 1.5-2 hours drive?

Old Posted Aug 27, 2013, 8:12 PM

Calgary should own this thread...

Old Posted Aug 27, 2013, 8:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Calgarian View Post
Calgary should own this thread...
Haha ya Calgary and Regina.

Old Posted Aug 27, 2013, 8:22 PM

Behold Manitoba's greatest seaport... Churchill!

Source: HBRA

Churchill is synonymous with the export of western Canadian grain, but the owners of the port are trying to drum up the outbound oil shipment business.

In recent years, Churchill has been used for shipments ranging between 400,000 to 658,000 tonnes of grain a year.

Old Posted Aug 27, 2013, 8:27 PM

That's cool to see Churchill. Vancouver also ships out a lot of grain from the Prairies. Every province has a "wheat pool" tower in the port area. Or at least Alberta and Saskatchewan do.

Old Posted Aug 27, 2013, 8:33 PM
hähnchenbrüstfiletstüc

Cargo tonnage alone is not a very good way to compare different ports because there is a huge range in terms of value of different types of cargo and the complexity of shipping them. Ports that ship large volumes of cheap industrial commodities end up being favoured by lists like this one.

As far as I know, Vancouver has a lot of just about every type of shipping because Canada does not have a lot of good West Coast ports.

Old Posted Aug 27, 2013, 8:45 PM
Exiled Hamiltonian Gal

Take that Halifax!

Old Posted Aug 27, 2013, 9:06 PM
Starring as himself

Quote:
Originally Posted by someone123 View Post
Cargo tonnage alone is not a very good way to compare different ports because there is a huge range in terms of value of different types of cargo and the complexity of shipping them. Ports that ship large volumes of cheap industrial commodities end up being favoured by lists like this one.

As far as I know, Vancouver has a lot of just about every type of shipping because Canada does not have a lot of good West Coast ports.
This is the down-side of the Port of Halifax's decision to specialize in goose-down pillows, feather dusters, styrofoam peanuts and crepe paper.

Old Posted Aug 27, 2013, 9:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andy6 View Post
This is the down-side of the Port of Halifax's decision to specialize in goose-down pillows, feather dusters, styrofoam peanuts and crepe paper.
Yes, and Vancouver deals in nothing but lead, solid steel pipes, semi trucks, and anchors haha!

Old Posted Aug 27, 2013, 9:31 PM
Exiled Hamiltonian Gal

Quote:
Originally Posted by Denscity View Post

Yes, and Vancouver deals in nothing but lead, solid steel pipes, semi trucks, and anchors haha!
Hamilton does deal almost entirerly in steel, iron ore, coal, and the like I'm pretty sure.

Old Posted Aug 27, 2013, 9:44 PM

Quote:

Top 20 here :

Complete list from my source : http://www.aapa-ports.org/Industry/c...ItemNumber=900

Anybody else have some recent statistics or more in-depth info, please feel free to share it
Prince Rupert may move up to number 2 on that list in the coming decade or 2.

Last edited by digitboy; Aug 28, 2013 at 12:17 PM. Reason: Updated with new link to image

Old Posted Aug 27, 2013, 9:48 PM
hähnchenbrüstfiletstüc

One of the original questions in the top post was why Halifax is down at #12 in the list, and that's one explanation. It's probably also why the Montreal and Quebec City rankings are so counter-intuitive. Montreal handles more container traffic, but it handles relatively few raw industrial materials. Sept-Îles on the other hand is around 90% iron ore.

In the case of the Halifax "port city" image there's also a lot of stuff that isn't shipping, like the navy, shipyard, and a bunch of small related industries.

Old Posted Aug 27, 2013, 10:46 PM
Starring as himself

It does depend on what the port is doing. Sault Ste. Marie is not really a port in the usual sense, except that Essar (Algoma Steel) has its own private port facilities that move the vast amounts of iron ore and coal that they need to run a large steel mill.

The Sault is planning a major port expansion that would make the facility serve broader purposes: link

Old Posted Aug 27, 2013, 10:48 PM

While these are all valid points there is still no debating Vancouver's dominance as Canada's largest port. Prince Rupert will be interesting watch, many expansions currently underway.

Old Posted Aug 27, 2013, 11:07 PM

Quote:
Forgive me if I am duplicating an already existing thread about the same subject as this might already have been discussed in the past but I was shocked and really surprised today when i saw some stats about the busiest ports in Canada for cargo tonnage. The stats I have are from 2011 and shows Metro Vancouver port BY FAR the most important port in Canada.
This should help put in perspective why many Vancouverites are utterly confounded by the Federal government's decision to shut down Vancouver's Kitsilano Coast Guard station to save a measly $1.3M a year.

True, there is a second Coast Guard station in Richmond equipped with a hover craft, but it's 25 minutes away from the former Kitsilano Coast Guard station's area of operation and almost an hour removed from the eastern-most operating areas of the former station. The Richmond facility is now the sole Coast Guard station responsible for the safety of the entirety of Port Metro Vancouver and the 3,000 ships that now call on it annually and move nearly 124,000,000 tonnes of goods. The Richmond Coast guard station is also responsible for the safe passage of more than 600,000 passengers on almost 200 cruise ship calls, plus all of the region's recreational marine activities (whale watching, booze cruises, sailing and yacht clubs, open water canoeing and rowing clubs, dragon boating, kayaking, stand-up paddle boarding, etc.) The local police and RCMP marine units must now take on additional duties for which the Coast Guard has jurisdiction; Federal to local downloading, plain as day.

Incidentally, here are 2012's Port Metro Vancouver stats: http://www.portmetrovancouver.com/do...w.pdf?sfvrsn=4 (Stats page)

Also, very cool to see Churchill's port. I had know that it was there, but I had never seen a photo before. Thanks for sharing it.

Last edited by SFUVancouver; Aug 28, 2013 at 12:01 AM.

Old Posted Aug 27, 2013, 11:20 PM
Wildcats Rule!!

And the port of Saint John will be even busier once the new east/west pipeline is built. In addition, there will be expansion in other bulk cargos such as the second potash mine in Sussex (NB) and the new tungsten/molybdenum mine in Sisson (NB).

The disparity in tonnage between Saint John and Halifax will only continue to grow in the future........

Old Posted Aug 27, 2013, 11:51 PM
hähnchenbrüstfiletstüc

I think the Saint John tonnage is mostly cruise ship passengers.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada