HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Pacific West

Old Posted Mar 1, 2007, 9:31 PM
A before E

actually something to point out, Spokane is an attractive market to retired people. So the job growth market doesn't really matter to them. If the housing market is lower than where they are currently living, then chances are the housing market in Spokane will be just fine.

Old Posted Mar 1, 2007, 9:52 PM
Tokyo 1993 - 1998

^Very true along with ever increasing presence of military retirees settling from Fairchild AFB.. This is evident from the growth at West plains and Airway heights.

Old Posted Mar 2, 2007, 2:11 AM
Hub for an Empire

I heard Spokane was like in the top five (actually #3) in the nation for the third or last quarter of 2006 in house appreciation! (I think Norfolk Va Area and Salem were the only ones higher).

My, the negativity! Where are the Spokanites from 1974 when Spokane was known as the Can-Do city? In 2006, we added more jobs in Spokane County than ANY YEAR in it's history! (True, low paying compared to the way we want them, but still a good indication of growth). Sure was nice to hear the positive impressions on ABC Sports or ESPN during national broadcasting about Spokane during the Skating Championships! New air routes are being added out of GEG. Things are happening in the region! I've never heard of so many "proposed" projects in the City of Spokane in my life since Expo.
Even if a fraction are only built....it will give Spokane a big push!

I'm a Realist. Things are changing in Spokane and it might not happen as fast as we like, but sit back and watch it grow!

Old Posted Mar 2, 2007, 3:09 AM
Hub for an Empire

On a different note, I noticed that on the Spokane International Airport Website they list the top markets from Spokane in 2005! Remember the old phase.....If they build it, they will come?......well, it looks like if they start Nonstop Service from Spokane, people will use it! Bring on the new air routes from SIA:

FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE: Contact: Todd Woodard
February 5, 2007
EXPRESSJET TO SERVE 3 CALIFORNIA
MARKETS NONSTOP
(Spokane, WA) – Spokane International Airport (GEG) announced today that Houston, Texas based ExpressJet will provide 7 daily departures to 3 major California markets that will be phased in over time from April 2 through June 4, 2007. Spokane’s new city pairs include Sacramento (3 daily departures), Ontario (2) and San Diego (2). ExpressJet will operate the new Spokane service with 50-seat Embraer-145 Regional Jets from the airport’s Concourse C using Gate 32. Year-end 2005 top 20 passenger markets from Spokane (bold indicates existing nonstop service):

Destination
Total Passengers
Growth Rate vs. 2004

Seattle
4.3%

Portland
6.1%

Boise
6.3%

Phoenix
9.1%

Las Vegas
5.0%

Los Angeles
3.3%

Oakland
3.9%

Salt Lake City

-13.4%

Sacramento
7.1%

Denver

5.7%

San Diego
7.8%

San Jose
14.5%

Chicago
0.5%

Reno
6.3%

Ontario

7.4%

Orange County

-5.3%

Minneapolis

-3.3%

Dallas/Ft. Worth

22.6%

Anchorage
2.3%

New York
7.4%

Old Posted Mar 2, 2007, 6:45 AM
Tokyo 1993 - 1998

Anyone have any word on Riverstone?.. I know it was scalled down some, and it appears there are two different designs posted on Miller Sta site? or are these two different towers?

Last edited by oilcan; Mar 2, 2007 at 11:14 PM.

Old Posted Mar 2, 2007, 6:35 PM

Any word on the one-fifty-one condos in downtown. I heard they were supose to make a decision on Thursday as to wheather they are going to move forward as scheduled. If anyone hears anything, please let us know.

Old Posted Mar 2, 2007, 8:42 PM
Cascadia Rising

oilcan-

that design is more than likely related to Riverstone. I may have posted this before, but I am too lazy to look. The developers of Riverstone appeared on the CDA city channel 19 before the city council and proposed (4) 165' residential towers in the development. This proposal you show looks like it could be in the 165' range. Two of them would go by the new Hampton Inn construction site, and two would go by the retirement community building that fronts Seltice. The parking garage for Riverstone is finished so they can start pulling up the existing parking lot to build the 'main street' style condos- so the four towers may not be too far behind..

Old Posted Mar 2, 2007, 10:17 PM
Tokyo 1993 - 1998

^ Inland.. Thank you for the info... kind of hard to keep track this far away... I was unaware there was four? wow and top that off with the new Parkside tower under construction... go C'dA go......

As much as I have traveled around C'dA still ranks as one of my favorite places..

revrw: I contacted OMS and left a message a few minutes ago...

Found two exact sites for OMS for 153... all exact wording on each except the date:

Date: Spring 2008

Date: Under Construction

Hopefully I can get some insight with a return call if this got the nod.

As far as my calls to Brewster's office... what a joke... 3 messages one per day since Wed...You call one number it says "we are not in we are moving"... reception is clueless (if she answers) and then you bring up the moving and she says "what? no one is moving?" You try the "request info" on the website for the Vox tower it is inop.. You try the contact number on the webpage it has been taken off the hook and gives you a busy signal. No wonder Brewster can't get a tower going, he can't even controll his own office God forbid I ever invest in any of his "pipe dream" properties just from my experience this week alone..

Last edited by oilcan; Mar 2, 2007 at 11:09 PM.

Old Posted Mar 4, 2007, 10:05 PM
Hub for an Empire

^^^^Let's hope the One Fifty Three Condo starts construction OilCan this Spring! Too bad Brewster isn't into reality for Spokane's sake! Anyone here about the supposed big announcement on that Thursday the INLANDER stated in their Condo bashing article? No one answered that question from the above post.

Old Posted Mar 5, 2007, 11:45 AM
Tokyo 1993 - 1998

City of Spokane Valley looking to start a "City Center".

From KXLY:

SPOKANE VALLEY -- As the city of Spokane Valley continues to grow, so does the need for a city center, and one way to do that would be to turn Sprague Avenue into a two-way road.

The idea is to create a place that neighbors can spend time riding their bikes, shopping, and eating.

The plan calls for the city center to be placed near the Appleway area which would mean big changes to Sprague Avenue and the surrounding streets.

Under the plan, the consultant recommends the city make Sprague Avenue into a two way road between Argonne and University.

It also recommends that Sprague should be reduced from seven to five lanes between Bowdish and University.

As for Appleway, the plans call for extending it as a two way road to up Evergreen, instead of Dishman-Mica.

Other possible changes include creating a neighborhood feeling with trees lining the streets and mixed use housing.

The city of Spokane Valley hopes that the changes will boost economic activity, as well as attract businesses in the retail corridor. They also want to create a place that will be more pedestrian friendly.

“I think it's going to be a great idea, because I know a lot of people don’t like fighting traffic” said local business owner Matt Barney. “I think it takes away a lot also, I mean, a lot of people don’t even know our business is even here.”

The city budgeted $400,000 for this report, and it was based off of several meetings with the community over the past year.

The report is just a recommendation, and no official changes have been confirmed.

The Deputy Mayor says the city council will need some time to review the 140 page report before the city makes any changes.

There will also be several more public meetings about these proposed changes before any construction begins.

Old Posted Mar 5, 2007, 7:52 PM
A before E

lets hope in that need for a city center plan that they create an open ended one that can expand on whatever street grid they begin with.

I actually think this is probably one of the smarter things I have heard come out of Spokane Valley.

Old Posted Mar 6, 2007, 3:39 AM
Tokyo 1993 - 1998

^ I was hoping the same... The preliminary scetches that were available on line and views via the light rail page really appeared promising residential/business wise.. of course not much for the "burbs" never have been because they are on the second stage.. but since the City of Spokane Valley is one of the larger cities in Washington and growing, so it would be nice if it could have some kind of indentity tied to it..

Still to this date scratching at the choice of the name for the city however..

Old Posted Mar 6, 2007, 4:01 AM
A before E

yeah I will never get the no longer living in the shadows of Spokane slogan, then picking the name Spokane Valley.

Old Posted Mar 7, 2007, 2:12 AM
Hub for an Empire

Here's a neat map I found on the internet showing how population movement goes from County to County! Interesting to look at from a region to State to Interstate population movements. You can get a lot of information on how Spokane plays as a regional center!
I hope someone finds it interesting besides me!

Here's the website:

http://enterprise.star-telegram.com/...007/irsmig.asp

Old Posted Mar 7, 2007, 12:28 PM
Tokyo 1993 - 1998

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hub for an Empire View Post
Here's a neat map I found on the internet showing how population movement goes from County to County! Interesting to look at from a region to State to Interstate population movements. You can get a lot of information on how Spokane plays as a regional center!
I hope someone finds it interesting besides me!

Here's the website:

http://enterprise.star-telegram.com/...007/irsmig.asp
Very interesting Hub...

I see that Maricopa County (Phoenix Metro) is on almost every single one of those counties... Contributing factor to the 10,000 people that move to Maricopa monthly..

Old Posted Mar 8, 2007, 5:51 PM
Hub for an Empire

^^^^ But did you see the number of people moving back from that county?

Noticed KREM 2 using the above map for information about Northern Idaho last night on their broadcast. I think they check this website, remember last summer when they used Oilcan's rendering of elevations of new highrises for Spokane?

So Krem 2 News, do an investigation report of when the VOX tower will actually start construction , seems we haven't heard any solid news lately. Is Brewster really serious about the project? Lots of hype with little action. What about One Fifty-Three Wall Street? I like Krem 2 News the best. Nadine and Charles are great!

Old Posted Mar 8, 2007, 10:17 PM
neighborhoods first

Post Spokane thoughts

Hi guys, this is my first ever post in the entire Skyscraper forum! I'm a born and raised Seattleite, went to college at GU in good old Spokane, and am hoping to begin class at UW in fall with their Urban Planning program.

Anyway, I think Spokane is potentially a fantastic city. Over the course of my 5 years at GU, I was never real hot on Spokane for all the usual reasons. My last summer there (about the time I began to become interested in planning and real estate) I changed my mind. Being a GU student, I had the opportunity to live on Sharp Ave across from GU and near downtown. I used the Centennial Trail daily and fell in love with downtown and adjacent neighborhoods. Here are some of the things I "discovered" while living in this location that made me realize Spokane is a great place.

1. Outdoor recreation opportunities. There are some amazing parks, natural areas, and golf courses in Spokane! Even better, many of them are just a couple minutes from downtown!!! To name a few: Indian Canyon, Riverside State Park, the Hangman Creek area, Palisades, Riverfront Park & Spokane Falls, plus the Centennial Trail. These are AMAZING assets that the city should leverage to the fullest degree possible. With the right planning and economic conditions, Spokane could be like a smaller Portland. Portland should serve as a blueprint for Spokane.

2. Historic building stock, especially downtown. You all know what I'm talking about, nuf said.

3. A 20th Century street grid. This is a major advantage over non-grid cities. Spokane should improve the grid by adding more street trees, sidewalks, crosswalks, curb bulbs, traffic calming measures, improved bus stops and signage.

4. Historic neighborhoods. Specifically, Brown's Addition & West Central, are really amazing neighborhoods. I love the historic homes, street trees and location of these 'hoods. Both are close to downtown and at the same time on the edge of the city. Its like you live in the city but have super easy access to the country, especially the recreational opportunities I mentioned above.

5. Colleges near downtown. GU and WSU/EWU Riverpoint are major assets. College kids come primarily from other cities, and spend dollars in Spokane. They also help attract artists, bands, etc to create a hip culture that places like Seattle and Portland are known for.

There's more, but thats all I'll list for now.

Other random thoughts I have regarding Spokane:

- Sprawl will help destroy the things that make Spokane great.

- Davenport Tower is butt ugly and probably wont to anything to help the Davenports brand equity. I cant believe they built something so ugly, it already looks like its been there for decades. Whats the deal with the LACK OF WINDOWS?!?!

- Spokane needs to try to develop better neighborhood character. This starts with decent neighborhood business districts. If you look at the zoning in Seattle, every single neighborhood, big or small, has its own business district (and I'm not talking about big national stores or large parking lots, I mean small business along the sidewalk with street parking and pedestrian activity). The only neighborhood I can think of in Spokane that has any resemblance of this is Garland. Not coincidently, Garland is one of the few streets in Spokane where there is only 1 lane each way plus parallel parking.

- Growth needs to be oriented toward infill and adding density where appropriate. Not in the Valley, not on the north side. Not sprawl.

- Spokane is talking about building new street cars. Talk needs to end and turn into IMMEDIATE action. Streetcars are a great way to circulate people around neighborhoods or to adjacent neighborhoods. They are good for small business, get folks out of their cars, attract more riders than the bus, and generally create more interesting neighborhoods and cities. The first new street cars should connect Gonzaga, Riverpoint, Arena/North Bank with downtown.

- Reevaluate the necessity of the North-South freeway. Freeways are a great way to kill and destroy neighborhoods. I understand the need to more freight more efficiently, but fail to see why a large freeway is needed to accomplish this. I guarantee the N-S freeway is going to encourage sprawl in North Spokane/Mead, etc. Obviously, it will make the poor East Central neighborhood even worse than it is now. So sad.

Those are my thoughts for now. I look forward to continued discussion in the future!

peace, paul

Old Posted Mar 9, 2007, 12:40 AM
Posh

^
Welcome to the forum!

Old Posted Mar 9, 2007, 1:36 AM
Tokyo 1993 - 1998

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hub for an Empire View Post
^^^^ But did you see the number of people moving back from that county?

Noticed KREM 2 using the above map for information about Northern Idaho last night on their broadcast. I think they check this website, remember last summer when they used Oilcan's rendering of elevations of new highrises for Spokane?

So Krem 2 News, do an investigation report of when the VOX tower will actually start construction , seems we haven't heard any solid news lately. Is Brewster really serious about the project? Lots of hype with little action. What about One Fifty-Three Wall Street? I like Krem 2 News the best. Nadine and Charles are great!

First of all welcome Paul, Hub alway nice to hear from you... it is always nice to see some interest from the West Side when it comes to Spokane, 007 and Urban seem to take interest and that is great you both stay in touch..

As far as the news KXLY used my pics, but the Vox story was broke on KHQ, and you are right KREM as well Brewster made sure it was known... odd enough right about the same time Davenport T started to evolve so knowing Brewster's past I think it was more of a "remember me I am the savior, big planner here in Spokane" speel.... I do have confidence in 153 however, and it should be announced any time.. Journal comes out tmrw so it will be interesting if it is mentioned there.. but my local far away from Spokane kinda destroys any insight for me. I have tried numerous times (included in prior posts) to speak with andyone at CB about the fate of the Vox.. I am at the point where I think it is a pipe dream like Havermale Tower, and don't think it is going to happen myself... if it does.. great but I am not holding my breath..

Last edited by oilcan; Mar 9, 2007 at 1:15 PM.

Old Posted Mar 9, 2007, 2:56 AM

Hey I have confirmation:
Spokane Journal of Business just said in today's edition that:

"In downtown Spokane, Prium Companies LLC, of Tacoma, plans to build a 15-story, 126-unit condo tower at a cost of roughly $30 million. Construction is expected to start this month."

Here's The Link: http://www.spokanejournal.com/index....3103&keyword=a

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Pacific West