HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > City Compilations

Old Posted Dec 16, 2018, 8:02 PM

I'm hoping/expecting that our Asian connections continue to deliver more aggressive and bolder designs. We need more of their creativity to rub off on this side of the rim.

Old Posted Dec 17, 2018, 7:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by StethJeff View Post
I'm gonna agree and take it a step further. WDCH, basically every semi-garish Gehry proposal, LAPD building, Emerson College, Vespertine, that weirdo tower in Culver City, the PDC. Even though I may not love all of these designs, damnit, they're at least interesting. LA is one of the few cities where nothing seems out of place and anything goes. I'm here all day for these types of projects, especially in Hollywood.
Totally agree.

Old Posted Dec 17, 2018, 5:41 PM

Old Posted Dec 17, 2018, 6:43 PM

Much better view than the crappy WeHoville photo, especially of the street level.

I love it but don't see it penciling out with all the dead space in the middle. Only time will tell I guess. That and if the comment section of the wehoville article is general consensus, expect the pitchfork mob to be out in force.

Old Posted Dec 17, 2018, 8:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve8263 View Post
I love it but don't see it penciling out with all the dead space in the middle. Only time will tell I guess. That and if the comment section of the wehoville article is general consensus, expect the pitchfork mob to be out in force.
I think a structural engineer is likely to put the kibosh on this one before the pitchfork mob gets a chance, at least as currently designed.

Old Posted Dec 17, 2018, 9:25 PM
Show me the blueprints

There was an old woman who lived in a shoe.
She had so many children, she didn't know what to do;
She gave them some broth without any bread;
Then whipped them all soundly and put them to bed.

There is no goodness in him, and his power to convince people otherwise is beyond understanding

Old Posted Dec 17, 2018, 11:29 PM
The City

Quote:
Originally Posted by colemonkee View Post

Image Source: LA Times
Is this a tower designed for masochists to live in?

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC4W...lUKB1w8ED5bV2Q

Old Posted Dec 18, 2018, 12:36 AM

Work in.
It's a office.

Old Posted Dec 18, 2018, 4:43 AM
Ridin' into the sunset

Haha! Yes! It's an Eric Owen Moss design, and he has a lot of buildings in this area, most of which are really funky work spaces. Some of them are not well-reviewed by the people who work in them.
"Then each time Fleetwood would be not so much overcome by remorse as bedazzled at having been shown the secret backlands of wealth, and how sooner or later it depended on some act of murder, seldom limited to once."

Against the Day, Thomas Pynchon

Old Posted Dec 18, 2018, 5:54 AM
life is good

Culver City is full of buildings like that which are quite successful.

I am completely enamored with the Sunset Strip Tower. Lets build it immediately it is so LA! Will be a huge success

Old Posted Dec 18, 2018, 9:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by blackcat23 View Post
I think a structural engineer is likely to put the kibosh on this one before the pitchfork mob gets a chance, at least as currently designed.
This building isn’t that difficult to construct... and actually; it’s already been built right in Hollywood and designed by the same architect. This sunset strip building is basically the more flashy version of the Morphosis designed Emerson college... ironically on Sunset Bl In Hollywood.

https://www.morphosis.com/architecture/127/

Old Posted Dec 18, 2018, 11:41 PM
Paramoderator

Considering the empty space in the middle, my guess is that's to maximize FAR, so they can build up the two towers on either side.

Old Posted Dec 19, 2018, 4:36 PM
Ridin' into the sunset

The primary difference between the Sunset hotel project and the Emerson College Building (which I love) is the number of habitable floors in the cantilevered section. I'm sure there's an engineering solution that will work (even given our pretty strict seismic building requirements), but I'm not sure if the development team has fully costed this out.
"Then each time Fleetwood would be not so much overcome by remorse as bedazzled at having been shown the secret backlands of wealth, and how sooner or later it depended on some act of murder, seldom limited to once."

Old Posted Dec 21, 2018, 7:05 PM
Ridin' into the sunset

In other Culver City news, a friend of mine on the Culver City Council mentioned in passing that Apple has presented initial plans to the City Council for the Apple Music HQ directly across National from the Ivy Station project, where crews have been demolishing the former Learning Materials building on the western edge of the Helms Bakery complex block. He says that Apple being predictably guarded with releasing the designs to the public yet, but that the initial plans they saw include some ground floor retail. If true, that whole area with Ivy Station, the Platform and now Apple Music HQ could become the next "downtown" Culver City. Now, if we could only get that strip mall on Venice just west of the Expo Line that's bookended by the Del Taco and Wendy's redeveloped into mixed use, then you would have a pretty contiguous, walkable neighborhood from National to Duquense (and arguably beyond if walking along Washington Blvd).

Old Posted Dec 21, 2018, 8:40 PM
Paramoderator

Quote:
In other Culver City news, a friend of mine on the Culver City Council mentioned in passing that Apple has presented initial plans to the City Council for the Apple Music HQ directly across National from the Ivy Station project, where crews have been demolishing the former Learning Materials building on the western edge of the Helms Bakery complex block. He says that Apple being predictably guarded with releasing the designs to the public yet, but that the initial plans they saw include some ground floor retail. If true, that whole area with Ivy Station, the Platform and now Apple Music HQ could become the next "downtown" Culver City. Now, if we could only get that strip mall on Venice just west of the Expo Line that's bookended by the Del Taco and Wendy's redeveloped into mixed use, then you would have a pretty contiguous, walkable neighborhood from National to Duquense (and arguably beyond if walking along Washington Blvd).
Very interesting. Is LA about to get a Norman Foster building?

Old Posted Dec 21, 2018, 9:45 PM

Quote:
whoa, that's great news.

Old Posted Dec 21, 2018, 10:27 PM

I love how Culver City is quickly turning into another anchor city for LA. The expo line has also done wonders for the area I feel.

Old Posted Dec 21, 2018, 10:35 PM
Ridin' into the sunset

^ It really has. The developments going up have replaced mostly parking lots and low-rise industrial or single-story retail buildings. The only real "loss" was Surfas, but they're still open, they just moved further down Washington Blvd to a new location.

Old Posted Dec 21, 2018, 11:30 PM

Quote:
The strip mall on Venice doesn't help but the big problem is the two Honda and Toyota dealerships at Robertson and Washington. They are located in the most unfortunate place in terms of walk-ability and connectivity between Downtown Culver City and the Expo line Station.

If you get rid of the car dealerships and put in some ground level retail on that block with public easement (like the Platform or Ivy Station), you can make walking from Trader Joe's to Expo line Station much easier and more pleasant.

https://www.google.com/maps/place/Cu...4d-118.3964665

And if we are able to redevelop that entire block (car dealerships, Venice Blvd strip mall, the low rise office block on Robertson), I would suggest Culver City reconfigure Robertson between Venice and Washington into a bus station for the Expo line station and make it a pedestrian friendly zone. Restrict access to Robertson to only transit buses, eliminate Hoke Ave, and give the rest of the road surface back to people walking on foot. Add shade trees and integrate it with the new developments.

Last edited by bzcat; Dec 21, 2018 at 11:54 PM.

Old Posted Dec 21, 2018, 11:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bzcat View Post
The big problem is not the strip malls on Venice but the two Honda and Toyota dealerships at Robertson and Washington. They are located in the most unfortunate place in terms of walk-ability and connectivity between Downtown Culver City and the Expo line Station.

If you get rid of the car dealerships and put in some ground level retail on that block with public easement (like the Platform or Ivy Station), you can walk in a straight line from Trader Joe's to Expo line Station.

https://www.google.com/maps/place/Cu...4d-118.3964665
Agreed. Just not sure how likely that actually is. I do imagine some developer is going to try to purchase the Howard Industries warehouse complex however.

*Send PM for updates/edits/corrections*

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > City Compilations