HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > Buildings & Architecture > Completed Project Threads Archive

Ryugyong Hotel in the SkyscraperPage Database

Building Data Page   • Comparison Diagram   • Pyongyang Skyscraper Diagram

Map Location

Old Posted Nov 1, 2009, 4:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spocket View Post
Am I the only one that can't quite put this thing in perspective ?
To me it looks like an entire wing of the building is build on a slant. No matter how hard I try to figure out how it could just be some trick of perspective it still comes out looking like the wing pointing towards the camera is on a downward slant as it goes outward.
Its just an optical illusion created by how the building is made. It has 3 wings going out that if yu connected them, this building would make a perfect triangle.
Looking at it from one of the faces, it looks regular, like this pic from wiki...

Only looking at one of the wings head on does it look like it is built on an slant, coming from how the roof is angled, it presents that illusion.

Old Posted Nov 1, 2009, 9:50 PM
Website Manager

This building is just itching to have someone do a new drawing of it for the diagrams, now that we know what the glass looks like. There is only one old drawing currently - http://skyscraperpage.com/diagrams/?buildingID=177

Old Posted Nov 2, 2009, 11:24 PM

Regardless of the architecture (which I find to be very interesting) the (external?) completion of this project is a big win for North Korea. Its definitely an attention getter, which appears to be the whole point. "Hey, world, look at what we did!"
The true purpose of this building is similar to detonating a nuke underground, and test firing missles into international waters. The government is trying to show off its power, and impress its own brainwashed population.
Considering that some foreign telecom company is largely footing the bill, it was actually a smart move on behalf of North Korea. The general public gets to see this impressive, dominating skyscraper as it was meant to look, a few lucky individuals will soon have 3G cellular service, and the even luckier "elite" residents of NK will have at least one fancy restraunt with spectacular views.

Thanks to those who are able to provide photo updates. Im loving it, its more interesting and more unique than many of the fugly things that have been erected in Dubai in the past five years.

Old Posted Nov 3, 2009, 8:18 AM

I don't know why we keep referring to North Koreans as "brainwashed." For all we know they'd be more than willing to accept a transition to democracy but just don't think it's likely and therefore worth talking about, and beyond that, there are consequences to speaking out. That doesn't mean they agree with their political situation any more than an American visiting Cuba agrees with the political situation even though they aren't agitating. I generally tend to think that even under the most totalitarian governments, people live somewhat normal lives - they just don't vote (same is true for a lot of Americans), and are a lot more like people from every other country on Earth than we expect them to be.

Anyway, I'm interested to see what kind of feature they put on the edges of the building which are still bare concrete. Will there be a stripe there or is it all going to be a solid color?

Old Posted Nov 3, 2009, 10:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pizzuti View Post
I don't know why we keep referring to North Koreans as "brainwashed." (snip)

Anyway, I'm interested to see what kind of feature they put on the edges of the building which are still bare concrete. Will there be a stripe there or is it all going to be a solid color?
Im sorry, I dont believe the people of NK are "brainwashed", but its the image of power and control the government is trying to project. There is probably a fair percentage of Pyongyang residents that see the reconstruction as a welcome change... a "non-war" show of strength, at least... a sense of national pride. I support it 100%.

Anyway, the three external edges of this building will be interesting. I dont believe Ive seen a rendering detailing them? They could be open balconies, or glassed in. A bold stripe, or a blend? I dont know which would look better probably the same color glass, but what do you guys think?

Old Posted Nov 7, 2009, 8:46 AM

The cladding makes the building super spectacular ultra cool looking from the outside.

According to this photo (cropped here) posted by Pinkie Girl on Flickr, August 7, 2006, there was some variance in the construction.

Old Posted Nov 7, 2009, 4:14 PM
20 Stories Tall

Boy that concrete was a mess.

Old Posted Nov 7, 2009, 4:49 PM

I'm amazed the cladding even fits on this disaster. They must have done a lot of resurfacing.

Old Posted Nov 7, 2009, 6:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Indescribable View Post
Boy that concrete was a mess.
I'm actually surprised it looks this good. . . the horizontal floorplates look intact and don't appear to be sagging at all, which is the first thing I would expect for such a long-dormant concrete structure. . .

Old Posted Nov 7, 2009, 7:45 PM

In light of that picture, it's clear that North Korea is making a huge mistake by cladding the Ryugyong Hotel; the un-clad version would have made for a brilliant movie set for any post-apocalyptic or horror film.

Old Posted Nov 7, 2009, 8:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Puzzlecraft View Post
The cladding makes the building super spectacular ultra cool looking from the outside.

According to this photo (cropped here) posted by Pinkie Girl on Flickr, August 7, 2006, there was some variance in the construction.

Yikes, I suppose that puts to rest the concrete quality discussion. Looks like a total disaster underneath.

Old Posted Nov 15, 2009, 8:08 AM
Laissez-Faire Forever!

Holy smokes.

Old Posted Nov 16, 2009, 2:48 AM

That looks very scary. I can't tell from the picture but I would be surprised if there wasn't any spalling of the concrete. I also see what appear to be brown streaks......rust maybe? If that is rust then that could mean the rebar has corroded. Not good not good at all.

Old Posted Nov 16, 2009, 4:53 AM
The Time To Build Is Now

While we here in NYC have witnessed cranes collapsing, how on Earth is the crane atop this tower still standing??

Old Posted Nov 16, 2009, 10:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by speedy1979 View Post
That looks very scary. I can't tell from the picture but I would be surprised if there wasn't any spalling of the concrete. I also see what appear to be brown streaks......rust maybe? If that is rust then that could mean the rebar has corroded. Not good not good at all.
There are brown streaks on buildings that are still under construction in the U.S., including the foundation of the Chicago Spire. I don't think it takes long for the surface of the steel to start rusting.

Old Posted Nov 17, 2009, 12:01 AM

It seems obvious to me that this building is now largely going to be a sculpture/public art. Maybe some retail around the base, and observatory, restraunts, broadcast at the top. Of course the occupied areas will need to be heavily reinforced. Now that its clad, the rapid decay will stop, but a full rehab seems unlikely. That concrete looks like shit, it can probably support itself, but I doubt its appropriate for a live load on every floorplate. If youve got a turd, you might as well polish it.

Old Posted Nov 17, 2009, 12:06 AM

Maybe future generations would put better use to this building.

Old Posted Nov 17, 2009, 1:15 AM
:-)

Regarding the concrete issue: Have a look at this post by Mark Rejhon on SSC:
http://www.skyscrapercity.com/showpo...&postcount=959
As you can see in the before and after pictures there has been significant work on the concrete. Take a good look at the balconies, they appear to be a lot smoother.

Old Posted Nov 18, 2009, 1:08 AM
20 Stories Tall

Yeah, they definitely did a number on the concrete.

Old Posted Nov 18, 2009, 1:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Northwest View Post
If youve got a turd, you might as well polish it.
^^ LOL

I think it's time "they" just put this building away. Quietly. It's going to like Pyongyang's awkward relative that they don't talk about, as it was when they re-painted posters of it. Of course, what isn't awkward in such a place?

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > Buildings & Architecture > Completed Project Threads Archive