HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Atlantic Provinces > Halifax > Halifax Peninsula & Downtown Dartmouth

Saint Lawrence Place in the SkyscraperPage Database

Building Data Page   • Halifax Skyscraper Diagram

Map Location

Old Posted Jun 27, 2014, 1:24 PM
armchairitect

Halifax Infants Home - Lost

Halifax Infants home on the SMU Campus Came down today.

HTNS were apparently informed on the 24th that SMU was taking this action. Only mention I saw of this was a post on the 25th to a fb group dedicated to saving the home that had its last post in Nov.

Old Posted Jun 27, 2014, 2:26 PM

Stupid of SMU. Oldest building on campus, and perfectly re-purposable.

Old Posted Jun 27, 2014, 2:52 PM

Yeah!!!
Now something new can be built in that location. Something to indicate our future rather than our past.

Old Posted Jun 27, 2014, 3:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ILoveHalifax View Post
Yeah!!!
Now something new can be built in that location. Something to indicate our future rather than our past.
Yes, a futuristic bench and sign (and some cutting-edge grass) will be occupying the location for decades to come.

Old Posted Jun 27, 2014, 3:14 PM

SMU will build another un needed building and tuition will go up again; have I ever mentioned that my full time tuition at Dal in 1976 was $780? Back then most high school graduates could afford to go to university, no longer the case. NS has highest tuition in canada, but my don't those buildings look nice

Old Posted Jun 27, 2014, 3:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ILoveHalifax View Post
Yeah!!!
Seems like a normal Canadian response. Pretend the past never existed.

Old Posted Jun 27, 2014, 3:20 PM

What a shame.

Old Posted Jun 27, 2014, 3:31 PM

http://halifax.mediacoop.ca/blog/stella-lord/18979

SMU's commitment to changing their stance on women and women's issues and history seem pretty hollow

Old Posted Jun 27, 2014, 4:16 PM
BUILD!

Quote:
Originally Posted by JET View Post
SMU will build another un needed building and tuition will go up again; have I ever mentioned that my full time tuition at Dal in 1976 was $780? Back then most high school graduates could afford to go to university, no longer the case. NS has highest tuition in canada, but my don't those buildings look nice
One course at Dalhousie is now $780 hahaha. And you take 10 per year plus all those extra fees...

A question I have in all this is why the HT didn't fight tooth and nail to save this building? They seem to have infinite hours to fight new developments but none for legit heritage buildings?

Old Posted Jun 27, 2014, 4:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mcmcclassic View Post
One course at Dalhousie is now $780 hahaha. And you take 10 per year plus all those extra fees...

A question I have in all this is why the HT didn't fight tooth and nail to save this building? They seem to have infinite hours to fight new developments but none for legit heritage buildings?
Maybe thats a question you should ask them, I doubt they read this forum their heads would probably explode in outrage at things being built

Old Posted Jun 27, 2014, 4:55 PM
armchairitect

HTNS was informed on the 24th of the decision made on the 23rd by the SMU Board. There was a post to a Facebook group on the 25th about that, but yah, not much done to make the public aware..

I happened to drive down inglis this morning and saw the firehose, turned on Tower rd, and saw the end of the building was gone.

if you Follow @builthalifax on twitter, you will see many others, unprompted complaining about how HTNS is useless, and has lost all credibility.

Old Posted Jun 27, 2014, 5:12 PM

Quote:

You really need to look at the pitiful Halifax heritage legislation. Any registered heritage property can be torn down, it doesn't take long and the municipality has little say. The legislation has no teeth to protect heritage properties, even those that are registered.

Old Posted Jun 27, 2014, 5:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ziobrop View Post
if you Follow @builthalifax on twitter, you will see many others, unprompted complaining about how HTNS is useless, and has lost all credibility.
Right you area, as always, Ziobrop. I must have missed where the HT dispatched their lawyers to fight this demolition, another tragic loss of a truly historic building. But I can guarantee you this: if SMU files for a development agreement to throw up, say, a 30 storey tower on the site, HT will be there in force to protect the neighbours from unwanted shadows.

Old Posted Jun 27, 2014, 6:54 PM

It would be a great site for a 30 story tower like the other corner. This corner would be much closer to services, like grocers, etc.

Old Posted Jun 27, 2014, 6:57 PM
armchairitect

I wish it was a tower.. then this would have died for a reason.
Instead they want a nice lawn and sign, and view to their new building.

See this Plan:

Old Posted Jun 27, 2014, 7:25 PM

I thought when this project started the plan was to build an L-Shaped building in three phases and the old house would be torn down to facilitate construction of phase 2 and 3. Not sure where I heard that or what the timeline for the build out was.

Old Posted Jun 27, 2014, 9:41 PM

I find the hand-wringing over this a bit over the top. Some ex-professor decreed it was an insult to women because of what it was originally used for. C'mon. I lived in this area for years, walked past this place multiple times, and never once found it to be in any way noteworthy. It was just another unremarkable old Halifax red-brick Victorian that was badly in need of just about everything. It was really pretty ugly outside and I can only imagine how bad it probably was inside. SMU spent $300K on it over the winter just to keep it heated and free of mice and rats. It's good it is gone rather than have a bunch of fringe elements chaining themselves to trees, etc as media bait to keep anything from happening.

Old Posted Jun 28, 2014, 3:50 AM
Salty Town

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ziobrop View Post

Halifax Infants home on the SMU Campus Came down today.

HTNS were apparently informed on the 24th that SMU was taking this action. Only mention I saw of this was a post on the 25th to a fb group dedicated to saving the home that had its last post in Nov.
Welcome to HALIFAX!

Old Posted Jun 28, 2014, 4:45 PM

Quote:

HT does not always publicise their actions and nor do the media. They tend to work with owners to preserve old properties. What has been reported is a small part of what has taken place.
Does anyone believe SMU when they trot out PR lady Margaret Murphy to tell a TV reporter that saving the building would cost millions ?
That wooden staircase looked like a very nice piece of work.

Old Posted Jun 28, 2014, 5:28 PM
hähnchenbrüstfiletstüc

Quote:
Originally Posted by Colin May View Post
Does anyone believe SMU when they trot out PR lady Margaret Murphy to tell a TV reporter that saving the building would cost millions ?
That wooden staircase looked like a very nice piece of work.
I think we are effectively asking SMU, a self-interested entity, to make decisions for the good of the overall neighbourhood or city. This reliance on the goodwill of property owners is doomed to fail, and the request is not necessarily even fair to them to begin with.

On top of this we have the PR and information asymmetry aspect, with SMU claiming that this would have cost $10M to preserve. This seems implausible, but I think the battle's already lost when it gets to the point where we accept that a heritage building of exceptional public value (whether or not this designation applies to this building is a matter of debate; yet another problem) can be torn down if the owner arbitrarily decides that it is too expensive to maintain, or more expensive than some alternative. This is particularly ridiculous since the owners often decide to defer maintenance on these buildings for decades before finally deciding that they would cost too much to fix.

The Dennis Building story is pretty similar. Somehow it's been framed in terms of it being more or less OK to tear down the building as long as some engineering firm says that the same square footage can be obtained more cheaply somewhere else. That calculation has nothing to do with the reason why the public would want to keep the Dennis Building around.

The #1 heritage issue in NS is that the legislation needs to be fixed so that heritage buildings are designated based on their value to the public and, once they're designated, are properly maintained so that they last as long as possible. It's not a big surprise that this hasn't happened given the fact that the biggest preoccupation of the province's primary heritage advocacy group has nothing to do with preserving heritage buildings.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Atlantic Provinces > Halifax > Halifax Peninsula & Downtown Dartmouth