HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > Buildings & Architecture

Old Posted Mar 16, 2010, 3:14 AM

Bush Library aiming for LEED Platinum certification

First of all, please keep this thread about the technology and architecture and save the political bullshit for the Skybar. I think we're all gown up enough to handle that.

Quote:
George W. Bush library's blueprints filled with green, following trend of other big public buildings
08:24 AM CDT on Sunday, March 14, 2010
By RANDY LEE LOFTIS / The Dallas Morning News
rloftis@dallasnews.com

A big environmental change is coming to a muddy, skinned-off patch of former condominium land jammed up against one of Dallas' busiest freeways.

Native prairies, oaks and wildflowers, reminders of North Texas' natural past, are destined for the site's future. So, too, is a new building of nearly a quarter-million square feet that planners promise will meet the highest environmental and energy standards.

Details are just emerging about the environmental aspects of the George W. Bush Presidential Center, which will rise between Southern Methodist University's campus and North Central Expressway. Groundbreaking for the center, which will house the former president's archives, foundation, institute and a museum, is expected late this year.

The center's 23-acre tract will include native plants and sophisticated conservation measures, such as a wetland and underground cisterns to catch and recycle most rainwater. The building, made of Texas materials over cast concrete, will get nearly 10 percent of its electricity and all of its hot water from solar energy.
Certification push

The project aims to earn a Leadership in Energy and Environmental Design platinum certification, the highest rating offered by the U.S. Green Building Council, which promotes energy-efficient construction with low-toxicity materials. Former President Bill Clinton's library in Little Rock, Ark., has LEED platinum certification.

To reduce energy use, the Bush building will have energy-efficient windows, heating and air conditioning, in addition to window overhangs to provide shade. Solar power will provide hot water and some electricity.

http://www.dallasnews.com/sharedcont...z.4a15b95.html

Old Posted Mar 16, 2010, 4:15 AM
Midwest Moderator - Editor

I don't know, man; that's going to be difficult. The irony just jumps right out in front of you, and then smacks you in the face on this one. lol

Old Posted Mar 16, 2010, 4:30 AM

that's gonna be a Hard LEED

I don't know how one can separate the Bush/Cheney legacy from Big Oil and pollution and thus this building. The building itself is a "political statement", filled with so much misrepresentation. It's especially ironic to read about native species which Bush&Co. spent much time trying to delist from protection.

A Presidential Library is about the President first and the architecture second. In which case this should be a bunker surrounded by empty fields.

Last edited by prospekt; Mar 16, 2010 at 4:45 AM.

Old Posted Mar 16, 2010, 7:59 AM

Quote:
Drawing allusions to Texas habitats was important to the Bushes, Langdale said. The couple's ranch house in Crawford, which they built in 1999, incorporates green steps such as capturing rainwater and using natural breezes for ventilation, he said.
This is the best quote. The Crawford Ranch dates from 1999. All that brush clearing and dragging world leaders out there came from somebody trying to be Texan while also trying to become and own the Presidency. This theme is more a product of Karl Rove than GW Bush. I doubt the Crawford Ranch was serving the King of Saudi Arabia "captured rainwater" nor soothing Sarkozy with "natural breezes". The whole idea that GW loved his ranch was a lark. Where is he now, in Crawford?

GW was born in CT with a pedigree.

Old Posted Mar 16, 2010, 9:05 AM
Houston:Considered Good

From a Dallas perspective, good for Dallas! They will have what will hopefully be an architectural landmark along one of their highways!

Old Posted Sep 29, 2010, 8:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by prospekt View Post
This is the best quote. The Crawford Ranch dates from 1999. All that brush clearing and dragging world leaders out there came from somebody trying to be Texan while also trying to become and own the Presidency. This theme is more a product of Karl Rove than GW Bush. I doubt the Crawford Ranch was serving the King of Saudi Arabia "captured rainwater" nor soothing Sarkozy with "natural breezes". The whole idea that GW loved his ranch was a lark. Where is he now, in Crawford?

GW was born in CT with a pedigree.
George W. lives in Dallas now & his parents have lived in Houston for many years. He still has his ranch in Crawford.

BTW Obama isn't "from" Chicago either. In fact, its not totally clear where he is originally from or even if he is a true Christian as he claims he is. He was a senator for less time than it takes to become a manager at Wal-Mart.

Old Posted Sep 29, 2010, 9:00 AM
ryan8888

Quote:
Originally Posted by Metro Matt View Post
George W. lives in Dallas now & his parents have lived in Houston for many years. He still has his ranch in Crawford.

BTW Obama isn't "from" Chicago either. In fact, its not totally clear where he is originally from or even if he is a true Christian as he claims he is. He was a senator for less time than it takes to become a manager at Wal-Mart.
far out man

Old Posted Oct 6, 2010, 1:06 PM

What you talkin bout. Obama was born in honolulu hawaii that is a fact, and if he claims he is christian than he is, its that simple.

Old Posted Apr 26, 2011, 12:21 AM

Old Posted Apr 15, 2013, 12:51 AM

Quote:
Bush Center earns a presidential library first: a LEED platinum rating for new construction
By Tom Benning
tbenning@dallasnews.com
11:19 am on April 11, 2013

Bluebonnets bloom on the grounds of the George W. Bush Presidential Center
Thursday, April 4, 2013 in University Park. (G.J. McCarthy/The Dallas Morning News)

The George W. Bush Presidential Center has accomplished a first for a presidential library, earning a platinum certification for new construction from the U.S. Green Building Council’s Leadership in Energy and Environmental Design program.

“As we approach the Bush Center’s April 25 dedication, we are proud to be recognized for our emphasis on sustainable building design,” said Mark Langdale, president of the George W. Bush Foundation.

The LEED certification, which highlights sustainable building design and construction, has long been a goal for the Bush Center. Platinum, the highest rating, was particularity ambitious given the center’s size and the tools it needs for its voluminous archive.

http://trailblazersblog.dallasnews.c...m-rating.html/

Old Posted Apr 16, 2013, 9:09 PM

This is a beatiful building and a great addition to the SMU campus. From what I've read of the programming, this is going to be a really active center.

Also, the snide commenters above can bugger off. Ignorant.

Old Posted Apr 16, 2013, 10:38 PM

I figured the Bush Library would expend as much oil as possible, with oil burn off towers like you'd see in Bladerunner or something.

I kid, I kid.

The building looks pretty snazzy and it being LEED certified is certainly a plus.

Old Posted Apr 17, 2013, 12:51 AM

That would be more befitting of a Huntsman library, were there ever one.

What a gorgeous structure. I've just been looking at other work by Robert A.M. Stern. Wow.

Old Posted Apr 17, 2013, 2:56 AM

Quote:

Where do you claim you're from, and what is your religion? Might it be unclear??

Old Posted Apr 17, 2013, 11:07 PM

In a desperate attempt to keep this thread from veering off course to much, here is a video of the landscape architect talking about the landscaping and water collection system...

Video Link

Last edited by jtk1519; Apr 18, 2013 at 1:58 AM.

Old Posted Apr 26, 2013, 12:08 PM

Maybe it's unavoidable with a building like this, but I've noticed that a lot of the architectural criticism of the library attempts to discredit neo-classicism/traditionalism by tying it politically to conservatism/fascism, and vice-versa attaching (perhaps Stern's deliberate) allusions to fascist architecture to Bush's presidential record.

Clearly architecture can be an instrument of politics, but dismissing an entire type of architecture a priori, due to politics strikes me as ridiculous and weak-minded.

Old Posted Apr 26, 2013, 4:07 PM
The Vomit Bag.

Quote:
In fact, its not totally clear where he is originally from or even if he is a true Christian as he claims he is. He was a senator for less time than it takes to become a manager at Wal-Mart.
Wholly shit, birther alert!!
"If you can convince the lowest white man he's better than the best colored man, he won't notice you're picking his pocket. Hell, give him somebody to look down on, and he'll empty his pockets for you."-President Lyndon B. Johnson Donald Trump is a poor man's idea of a rich man, a weak man's idea of a strong man, and a stupid man's idea of a smart man. Am I an Asseau?

Old Posted Apr 26, 2013, 5:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by vandelay View Post
Maybe it's unavoidable with a building like this, but I've noticed that a lot of the architectural criticism of the library attempts to discredit neo-classicism/traditionalism by tying it politically to conservatism/fascism, and vice-versa attaching (perhaps Stern's deliberate) allusions to fascist architecture to Bush's presidential record.

Clearly architecture can be an instrument of politics, but dismissing an entire type of architecture a priori, due to politics strikes me as ridiculous and weak-minded.
Architecture has always been political. Especially when it comes to talking about architecture that memorializes leaders. That being said, having been to a few presidential libraries, this one seems to be one of the most uninspiring buildings I have seen. It is not the fact that it is neo-traditional, but rather that even at that it isn't a great neo-traditional building. In fact, it isn't even the best building in SMU's campus.

Old Posted Apr 26, 2013, 5:34 PM

It's a pretty conservative building, but the SMU campus is mainly Neo-Georgian. You have to make it blend in a bit.

I like the Clinton Library better.

http://www.donparrish.com

Old Posted Apr 26, 2013, 6:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arquitect View Post
Architecture has always been political. Especially when it comes to talking about architecture that memorializes leaders. That being said, having been to a few presidential libraries, this one seems to be one of the most uninspiring buildings I have seen. It is not the fact that it is neo-traditional, but rather that even at that it isn't a great neo-traditional building. In fact, it isn't even the best building in SMU's campus.
Not arguing the point about politics and architecture, but rather the discrediting of either politics by architectural association or architecture by political association. Both are shallow thinking, or worse a spurious attempt to elevate subjective opinion with historical fact.

Last edited by vandelay; Apr 26, 2013 at 7:05 PM.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > Buildings & Architecture